The Great Shoulder Button Debate - How Do You Press Yours?

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By danielkempster
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By danielkempster

This is something that's been intriguing me for some time. My fellow gamers, what's your approach to shoulder buttons? 

I have friends who keep their indexes on the front shoulders and middles on the back shoulders, and they argue it's quicker and more effective from a gameplay standpoint. Personally, I press all four with my index fingers, as playing with any other configuration tends to leave my tiny hands feeling stretched and uncomfortable. I did also meet one guy who pressed all shoulder buttons with his middle fingers. When I asked him why, he simply said it was what he'd always done. 

Sorry if I missed out any other obvious methods, but these three were the ones that sprang to mind most readily. I'm looking forward to see how the voting turns out for this :)

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Funzzo

If im using a 360 controller its just the index fingers if im playing a PS2/3 then its index and middle fingers.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

A.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By zidane_24

A for me as well. I've heard it described as "Claw Grip". None of my friends do it this way, but I'm just used to it. 

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Accidently chose A, pretty much use option B, however if you master using scheme A you're definitely going to get a lot better at games simply because you can perform actions quicker. I've tried A but I either press buttons at the wrong time or my fingers start hurting a lot.

I once bought a gamepad which had three shoudler buttons. Now that was some crazy shit.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By VierasTalo
@Funzzo said:
" If im using a 360 controller its just the index fingers if im playing a PS2/3 then its index and middle fingers. "
Opposite for me. With the 360 I use the triggers with the middle fingers, and the shoulders with my index fingers. PS3 is index fingers all the way.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shiftymagician

I'm not exactly playing competitively on a controller, so I'm a solid B.  I can definitely see the advantages of A though.  I would love to hear how someone presses their buttons in a way to warrant a D.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeathByWaffle

Had to pick up a controller and check. Option B

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoeyRavn

I picked B. The RB/LB are not that much used, so I move the index from the triggers to them if needed. If I have to use both at the same time, index on RB/LB, middle on the triggers.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Aside from games like MGS4 or Dead Space (both on PS3) where primary fire is R1, and secondary is R2, I use my index for everything. However, in games that have the previous setup, I often use my middle fingers for secondary, but not always. So in most cases, I would say B. 

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By plop1920

With my fingers

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It deppends on the game and whether or not I need to use the 1 & 2/B & T buttons at the same time. If I need to use them at the same time, I'll do A. If I don't, I'll do B.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By delta_ass

Pressing triggers with your middle fingers is an abomination unto the lord.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Bennyishere

I do both depending on whether the game uses the bumpers a lot. In racing games where I want to change the camera with the bumper and still keep my finger on the trigger, I just slide the middlefinger up to where my index was and put the index on the bumper. Then I slide it down, OR MAYBE I DON'T. I'm dynamic like that. It's not like you're doing something else with your middlefingers when you are using the A method, so transitioning into B on the fly is not difficult.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ghostiet

Pretty much with my index fingers. It's not like it's possible to, let's say, throw a grenade and shoot at the same time, so I don't know why I should ready my middle fingers.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

For Devil May Cry 4, I tried remapping ranged attack to R2 and using my middle finger so that I could always be charging without sacrificing another button (charged shots take a really long time to build up and do crazy damage in that game), but I couldn't get used to it. Most developers are smart enough to map their controls such that you don't need to press both of the shoulder buttons on one side at the same time, so it's never really been a problem for me.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FirePrince

@Delta_Ass said:

"Pressing triggers with your middle fingers is an abomination unto the lord. "

Bonsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bonsai

I use only my index fingers. At one point I came upon the idea that it would be better to use index and middle, and tried to switch to that style, but it just felt really uncomfortable and weird. My competence at video gaming remained the same with both styles.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zeforgotten

Index and Middle finger for me and it's been that way since they started having 4 buttons up there.  
No matter what controller I use I just find it easier. Only thing that can throw me off is when games start to place the Grenade button different from "the normal" control scheme. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By Icemael

B. I obviously use A when I have to press two shoulder buttons on the same side at once, but otherwise, it just feels... wrong.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Skald

Two fingers on the right shoulder buttons, just one on the left.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By BulletproofMonk
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By JJWeatherman

It really depends (doesn't everything?). Some games require long holding of the triggers. In those cases I can deal with middle fingers on triggers. I'd say the majority of the time though I'm just using my index fingers.

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TonyBlue87

I picked D because I actually do have an underdeveloped left hand.  I do generally have index on L1/R1 and middle fingers on L2/R2, but sometimes that can become uncomfortable.  So depending on what task the game is giving me, I sometimes have to alternate and shift around.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By eristocrat

I use index and middle on the right and just index on the left because I feel like I need one hand that has a solid grip on the controller and left shoulder buttons are generally used less.

Avatar image for passivekaerenai
PassiveKaerenai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PassiveKaerenai

Well, I chose A. Then I tried out my controller, and, lo and behold - I was a B man all along. Snap!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Index and middle fingers.  I only wish there were more buttons back there to get my ring and little fingers in on the action.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rockanomics

Oh wow I figured A but I picked my 360 controller up and I totally use B. But I'm not switching between the two sets I can still hit all four at once if need be.

I do some weird diagonal curl where my second knuckle presses down the outside edges of the bumpers and my third knuckle/back of my fingertips presses the triggers.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#31  Edited By citizenkane
@MattyFTM said:
" It deppends on the game and whether or not I need to use the 1 & 2/B & T buttons at the same time. If I need to use them at the same time, I'll do A. If I don't, I'll do B. "
Pretty much my answer.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

Normally all index fingers, but the fucked up bottom shoulder buttons on the PS3 are retarded enough for me to use both my fingers.  

God it's that and the placement of the analog sticks that prevent me from playing more PS3 games. That's probably my only real gripe with it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do the method describe by B, unless things are really hectic.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jack268

If you're not A with bumper jumper on Halo, you are small time and casual and all that isn't hip and cool. I started out with index on all but stopped when I was like 14 since bumper jumper in Halo 3 was so much more competitive than boxer. Also C sometimes with a claw grip, mostly in SP games where its more convenient to have two fingers on the face buttons while the shoulder buttons aren't that prioritised.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Azteck

B for me. I hate using my middle-fingers for the triggers, and always go index on all shoulder buttons.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By raiz265

I shoot ma guns wit ma index finger, I play ma games wit ma index finger.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jmfinamore

Considering how awful the DualShock is, I really can't play it without having just my index fingers on the triggers. Anyone who can do the "claw" with that controller is crazy. To me, it's incredibly unwieldy, insecure and painful.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlexW00d

When playing PS3 A unless the game rarely uses them. when I very rarely play my xbox, i'd probably say B for that, god I hate that xbox controller though.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jking47

With my left hand, it is normal with index on L1 and middle on L2, however, with my right hand I have it sort of flat on the face of the controller, so my index is above the buttons and my middle finger is on R1, with left ring finger on R2. I usually hit triangle/square with the index finger, and X/circle with my thumb. 

dont judge me

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fwylo

I can't remember.  I used to only use my index for all 4.  But it is obviously more efficient to be touching all buttons at the same time so I tried to change my ways.  I think I keep going back to two just by force of habit but I can't recall.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#42  Edited By StarvingGamer

Usually A, but I will switch to B for certain games.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By Tordah

I usually go with option B for most games. Sometimes I'm weird and do A, but only with my left hand. Something about the analog stick placement on the 360 controller makes A feel slightly uncomfortable for my right hand. 

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#44  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Index fingers all the way.  I save my middle finger for the level I can't beat on Trials HD.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Romination

Generally B but for games like Vanquish I have to change my strategy so that I can actually play it. 

for that, I go to A.

Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Trebz
@Funzzo said:
" If im using a 360 controller its just the index fingers if im playing a PS2/3 then its index and middle fingers. "
This is the only way. The rest of you are lying and should be ashamed.