The new guys: I don't like them

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

I can't help but notice that every news story for the past few days has been written by Matt and the New Brad. I have also noticed that these stories haven't been written as well as I've come to expect from Giant Bomb.   I don't mean to put down these guys, they're obviously trying their best, but bringing in new talent to Giant Bomb to expand coverage seems to be exactly the opposite of the message GB was founded on.  

I was here on day one, and I seem to recall Jeff saying something like "we aren't going to cover as many stories IGN or Gamespot does, but we're going to cover things better". I know that adding two guys to a lineup of 4 isn't going to mean a drastic increase in bloat up to IGN levels, but it seems to be moving away from the very thing that makes Giant Bomb great.  

How do you feel about the new guys? 

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By cap123

I really enjoy both of their writing styles.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By foggel

As long as it doesn't affect the original staffs work, I don't think this is a negative addition. And also there is more stuff to read.. yay :)
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By luce

You are not alone..i'll just leave it at that

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By fishmicmuffin

I do miss reading stories that are written by the original crew, but what the new guys are writing isn't bad. If anything it means that I don't have to go to IGN as much as I used to.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By turboman

I appreciate that there's more news.. since GB is the only gaming website I visit.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spaceturtle

I see what you're saying about the articles not being as well written. The articles aren't bad, they just aren't real Giant Bomb quality as we've come to expect. But I'm very positive to the new guys, and I'm sure that with time they'll write stories as good as Jeff, Ryan and Brad.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Icil

I feel the same way, @GIVEMEREPLAY, but I feel like I should wait until after E3 coverage to come up with a good decision. It's possible that GB is just so swamped with E3 that they can't run anything around here until the NDAs expire.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By buzz_killington

There have been numerous threads asking the community's opinion about this. If that's all you are going to say, I don't think you should've made a new topic.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ch3burashka

I hadn't noticed.

I rarely read articles: I'm here for the Quick Looks and Endurance Runs.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@buzz_killington said:
" There have been numerous threads asking the community's opinion about this. If that's all you are going to say, I don't think you should've made a new topic. "
I looked briefly on General and Off Topic and saw nothing. Care to point me to them?
MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MetalR

I don't like them either.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Ace829

They're fine to me.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By yinstarrunner

I don't mind the new guys or their writing style, but I think they might be trying to hard to meet some imaginary quotas in their head.  It often leads to essentially worthless news stories cluttering up the front page.  I'd prefer to keep it toned down a bit.

"Beyond Good & Evil 2 Development Troubled?"- Good to know
"FEAR 3 Coop"- I would hardly qualify it as news, the trailer pretty much said as much, but I don't necessarily mind it.
"Treyarch is Call of Duty all the time" and "Grease is now a videogame"?- Do we really need to know this? Why is it taking up precious space on the homepage?

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Dislike is a bit strong but yeah, I see where the OP is coming from.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I think it's E3 related.  They haven't been on the Bombcast or anything, they are just a bit busy and are getting some freelance stuff to fill up the site.  It isn't as if it is terrible either.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Barrock

It gives the Four Horseman (and Andy) more time to do their thing and make us laugh. I'm all for it.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By DrPockets000

I like them.  

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@foggel said:

" As long as it doesn't affect the original staffs work, I don't think this is a negative addition. And also there is more stuff to read.. yay :) "

Exactly and plus it will help GB grow into a larger and more well known site.
stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By stackboy

I heard them in the hallway earlier and they aren't the biggest fans of you either.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By WalkerTR77

I'd say they are up to standard, I probably wouldn't have noticed if they had been uncredited. Anyway it now allows the bomb squad to deliver more prime cuts of themselves without having their time taken up by updating us on new dlc plans for railworks.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@WalkerTR77 said:
" I'd say they are up to standard, I probably wouldn't have noticed if they had been uncredited. Anyway it now allows the bomb squad to deliver more prime cuts of themselves without having their time taken up by updating us on new dlc plans for railworks. "
But should Giant Bomb be covering that shit at all? The site was all about being lean and good, not trying to cover all the junk stories that IGN updates with every ten minutes. 
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By zombie2011

Seeing before the new guys started GB's news coverage was horrible, i like them.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FakePlasticTree

Eh. I'm all for them. As the site grows the staff will have to grow too. I'm sure once they start to develop their own places in the community you'll come to love them as you love the other guys. 

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Brunchies

They're not bad but some of the news stories they put up don't seem that important.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By salad10203

i only care about the quick looks

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Undeadpool

I honestly hadn't noticed until I saw the names. The news stuff on here has always been kinda "meat n potatoes" anyway, usually saving commentary for reviews or significant news stories. So yeah, I'm sure they wouldn't have been brought on if it wasn't necessary and I think they're doing fine.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@FakePlasticTree said:
" Eh. I'm all for them. As the site grows the staff will have to grow too. I'm sure once they start to develop their own places in the community you'll come to love them as you love the other guys.  "
Who are these guys? The original 4 are all industry vets. Isn't at least one of these two just an intern? What chops do they have that even makes them worthy of being on the site?
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PillClinton

It's bringing in more site traffic, making GB look more appealing to advertisers, and making The Bomb Squad more money.  That sounds good to me.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By hockeymask27

You have your opinion and  I have mine. Personally I enjoy having some new people around to post articles.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#31  Edited By gla55jAw

It was inevitable with the site growing. I was skeptical at first because of the quantity of articles that came from them and the lack that came from everyone else. But they're doing good work and they're a great addition to the GB community.

FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @FakePlasticTree said:
" Eh. I'm all for them. As the site grows the staff will have to grow too. I'm sure once they start to develop their own places in the community you'll come to love them as you love the other guys.  "
Who are these guys? The original 4 are all industry vets. Isn't at least one of these two just an intern? What chops do they have that even makes them worthy of being on the site? "
Who are you? These guys obviously impressed someone enough to be brought on to the team, as an intern or otherwise. I don't care what you do for a living, you started somewhere right? Maybe because they are new they are a little hesitant to let loose so-to-speak. Sure they may not have the same chemistry a duo like Ryan and Jeff do, but who knows, maybe in time they will come in to their own and you'll end up really enjoying their stuff.  

For all we know some kid on some other forum 10 years from now will be making the exact same comparison about the new guys at that site and say that they aren't the same as the industry vets Matt and Brad.  

If you don't like their stuff, that's all you. Nobody will ever please anyone. I'm at least willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though. New people are constantly entering the industry (hell, any industry). Give them a chance to get settled and get familiar with this community. 
MostlyHeadless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MostlyHeadless

I don't know about Matt but Brad Nicholson is from Destructoid. I actually really dig the guy. He was one of the more level-headed people over at D-toid and he knows he stuff. Give him a chance. He's good people. 

Edit: I'm not sure whether he's still with D-toid or not. I actually haven't read much there since their podcast went down. So all that past-tense stuff above might be a little pre-mature. Just thought I might clarify.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@FakePlasticTree said:
Who are you? These guys obviously impressed someone enough to be brought on to the team, as an intern or otherwise. I don't care what you do for a living, you started somewhere right? Maybe because they are new they are a little hesitant to let loose so-to-speak. Sure they may not have the same chemistry a duo like Ryan and Jeff do, but who knows, maybe in time they will come in to their own and you'll end up really enjoying their stuff.   For all we know some kid on some other forum 10 years from now will be making the exact same comparison about the new guys at that site and say that they aren't the same as the industry vets Matt and Brad.   If you don't like their stuff, that's all you. Nobody will ever please anyone. I'm at least willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though. New people are constantly entering the industry (hell, any industry). Give them a chance to get settled and get familiar with this community.  "
Cute. I'm the guy who brings in the paycheck for Giant Bomb, the consumer. It seems like (from this thread alone) a number of people aren't pleased with the new guys. I'm still trying to figure out why they are good additions to the staff. Why is moving away from the tried and true GB model of less but better content a good idea? 
MostlyHeadless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MostlyHeadless
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:

" @FakePlasticTree said:

Who are you? These guys obviously impressed someone enough to be brought on to the team, as an intern or otherwise. I don't care what you do for a living, you started somewhere right? Maybe because they are new they are a little hesitant to let loose so-to-speak. Sure they may not have the same chemistry a duo like Ryan and Jeff do, but who knows, maybe in time they will come in to their own and you'll end up really enjoying their stuff.   For all we know some kid on some other forum 10 years from now will be making the exact same comparison about the new guys at that site and say that they aren't the same as the industry vets Matt and Brad.   If you don't like their stuff, that's all you. Nobody will ever please anyone. I'm at least willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though. New people are constantly entering the industry (hell, any industry). Give them a chance to get settled and get familiar with this community.  "
Cute. I'm the guy who brings in the paycheck for Giant Bomb, the consumer. It seems like (from this thread alone) a number of people aren't pleased with the new guys. I'm still trying to figure out why they are good additions to the staff. Why is moving away from the tried and true GB model of less but better content a good idea?  "
Dude, don't start in with that "consumer entitlement" BS. These guys are doing the best they can. Not everyone is going to be up to your impeccable standards.

The guys want to do something different. Let 'em. I say more news is a good thing. Giant Bomb is still a faaaaar ways away from being IGN.
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @FakePlasticTree said:
Cute. I'm the guy who brings in the paycheck for Giant Bomb, the consumer. It seems like (from this thread alone) a number of people aren't pleased with the new guys. I'm still trying to figure out why they are good additions to the staff. Why is moving away from the tried and true GB model of less but better content a good idea?  "
It's entirely possible that the 'less is more' model isn't working as it once did. Obviously someone more important than you or I thought these guys would be a good fit for the GB style.  

I'm not going to try and convince you to like them. If you don't then you don't. But like I've said I'm willing to give them a chance and give them some time to carve their own mark in the Giant Bomb family tree. 
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@MostlyHeadless said:
Dude, don't start in with that "consumer entitlement" BS. These guys are doing the best they can. Not everyone is going to be up to your impeccable standards. The guys want to do something different. Let 'em. I say more news is a good thing. Giant Bomb is still a faaaaar ways away from being IGN. "
What is consumer entitlement BS? Giant Bomb doesn't exist without an audience.
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Virago

Fuck you, MattyB's got the best coverage.
I know actually pay attention to the homepage.

Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By raccoonusdoodus

as long as they don't invade the bombcast and quick looks, I'm fine with them.

MostlyHeadless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MostlyHeadless
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @FakePlasticTree said:
Also, How exactly are you "bringing in the paycheck" for these guys other than visiting their site and acting like a dick on their message boards? Have you actually given them any money? Bought the iPhone app? Reviewed their podcast? Ugh. The way you treat these guys like commodities is really disgusting. 

I'm sorry for insulting you, I really am. But your comment above was really offensive to this thing (Giant Bomb) you claim to love.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By Video_Game_King

We're all lucky that they have yet to discover this thread. *leaves, hopes for mercy*

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Moridin

I enjoy having more articles and news to read around here. 

Also, Brad Nicholson can bench your house. Don't mess with him.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Moridin
@MostlyHeadless said:
" I don't know about Matt but Brad Nicholson is from Destructoid. I actually really dig the guy. He was one of the more level-headed people over at D-toid and he knows he stuff. Give him a chance. He's good people.  Edit: I'm not sure whether he's still with D-toid or not. I actually haven't read much there since their podcast went down. So all that past-tense stuff above might be a little pre-mature. Just thought I might clarify. "
You may want to check out - http://electrichydra.podbean.com/ - new podcast started by DToid dudes and headed by one Brad Nicholson.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#44  Edited By sjschmidt93

I like both of their writing, but with virtually no news coming from the staff I'm definitely expecting more reviews (or at the least on time reviews), quick looks, and other things only the big 4 will do. Haven't really got that yet.

FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" @MostlyHeadless said:
Dude, don't start in with that "consumer entitlement" BS. These guys are doing the best they can. Not everyone is going to be up to your impeccable standards. The guys want to do something different. Let 'em. I say more news is a good thing. Giant Bomb is still a faaaaar ways away from being IGN. "
What is consumer entitlement BS? Giant Bomb doesn't exist without an audience. "
No community does. But the internet gives you the luxury of an international, multi-billion person audience. For everyone that doesn't like the new guys, there's just as many that will. Chances are you won't hear about it as much though. If running a customer service department has taught me anything it's that happy customers rarely feel the need to tell you they're happy. Disappointed consumers on the other hand...
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@MostlyHeadless said:

Also, How exactly are you "bringing in the paycheck" for these guys other than visiting their site and acting like a dick on their message boards? Have you actually given them any money? Bought the iPhone app? Reviewed their podcast? Ugh. The way you treat these guys like commodities is really disgusting.  I'm sorry for insulting you, I really am. But your comment above was really offensive to this thing (Giant Bomb) you claim to love. "
And you obviously have no idea how a business functions. Giant Bomb runs on advertiser dollars. If they piss off their audience and they stop using the site, GB will cease to exist.  

And yes, I bought the app. In any case, they've specifically ensured that you can't donate so that people don't feel like they individually control the direction of the site, or that you haven't gotten your money's worth. I recall Jeff saying this. I don' t think I have any individual control over it, but if brining in new meat results in the site getting less daily visits, they will be making less money. 
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ToadRunner

I dont hate them,

but i wish they didnt exist.

this site is no longer the four dudes, it was become bloated.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By yakov456

Just leave my QL's alone, as well as the bombcast. ESPECIALLY the bombcast, it is sacred.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#49  Edited By HaroldoNVU

I disagree with the OP but I'm all for people expressing how they feel so, people who don't like the new guys, don't take me the wrong way but: Can you people at least keep the new guys hate on a single thread? It seems every day I see two or more new threads about this.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By izzygraze

CHANGE!!!!! >:(