The Whole "FFVII/Sessler" Debate

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Edited By Slunks

One of my favorite journalists in the industry kind of took an awkward path over this week. With the release of his "Your Childhood Sucks" video, he's re-sparked a lot of controversy. We all know Final Fantasy VII is probably one of the most over-hyped games off all-time -- it's repeatedly on top ten lists for the majority of gamers, and often made a mockery by up-to-date gamers. That said, just because its popular doesn't make it bad. Sure, that's fine for N'Sync, but were talking about a fifty-hour epic that has truly paved the way for some other RPG's out there. Personally, I'm not sure if FFVII would land even near a Top 10 list of today because, for me, it's lost its charm a little over the course of time. Back then, however, it was a game that gave me the whole "I love playing games" feeling.

So, who was his video directed to, and what service did it provide? There were little means to rant about a twelve year old game, and I think for just this moment, he kind of joined "the culture on the internet." I just don't understand why he would pull such a dangerous stunt to critically punish a game in ... retrospect?

If gaming journalists are starting to do that now, then Super Mario Bros be damned.

(Also, video above contains my thoughts as well, and not just Sessler's video).
Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Slunks

One of my favorite journalists in the industry kind of took an awkward path over this week. With the release of his "Your Childhood Sucks" video, he's re-sparked a lot of controversy. We all know Final Fantasy VII is probably one of the most over-hyped games off all-time -- it's repeatedly on top ten lists for the majority of gamers, and often made a mockery by up-to-date gamers. That said, just because its popular doesn't make it bad. Sure, that's fine for N'Sync, but were talking about a fifty-hour epic that has truly paved the way for some other RPG's out there. Personally, I'm not sure if FFVII would land even near a Top 10 list of today because, for me, it's lost its charm a little over the course of time. Back then, however, it was a game that gave me the whole "I love playing games" feeling.

So, who was his video directed to, and what service did it provide? There were little means to rant about a twelve year old game, and I think for just this moment, he kind of joined "the culture on the internet." I just don't understand why he would pull such a dangerous stunt to critically punish a game in ... retrospect?

If gaming journalists are starting to do that now, then Super Mario Bros be damned.

(Also, video above contains my thoughts as well, and not just Sessler's video).
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Sessler offers a perspective not unlike those of the people who didn't play this game 12 years or so ago and look back on it now (along with games like Ocarina of Time) and say "jesus... I'm glad I missed that." That would also include me, generally. He's not really wrong. Sure it was strange to offer a quasi-current perspective on it as though he were doing a review, but he described accurately what someone playing FF7 today would think about the game.

If you watched Sessler's latest (or one of his latest) Soapbox video(s), you would see that he and Paul Barnett were discussing how much they disliked Top 5 or Top 10 lists. One of their main reasons was that too many gamers treat them like rep-building lists (for no apparent reason) in which you are graded by the obscurity of your references, or the pedigree of your references. Final Fantasy VII definitely falls under at least one of those umbrellas at this point.

If you were confused as to why Sessler offered this video up so randomly, you should watch his Soapbox mini-videocasts. What he discusses there and what he covers on X-Play and creates as critical media pieces often link up by some obscure background throught process that you can identify after watching all of his material. Adam Sessler is a very interesting guy.
Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Eelcire

So was Adam dissing Final Fantasy VII, or just JRPGs in general; aside from the Aeris reference you really couldn't tell. The problem with these retrospect reviews is that they are taken out of context for the time period they were released. Sure it was hyped up, but it was Final Fantasy, it was the first 3-D Final Fantasy, it was the first Final Fantasy to use CG cutscenes, it was the first Sci-Fi themed Final Fantasy; it was a lot of firsts including being that 'gateway drug' to JRPGs for so many people.

If Final Fantasy VII was never made back then, and was only now being made, we'd be getting a different Final Fantasy VII. IGN also did a retrospective on the original Metal Gear Solid asking if it was overhyped (their conclusion, it wasn't but the series afterwards is). Just way to garner hits: take classic game or series, and smack talk it.

Personally, Final Fantasy VII still ranks as my favorite in the series, with Final Fantasy IV (II on SNES) being right under it. Generally I like Adam Sessler, but I think he's off the mark in doing this type of retrospective. Final Fantasy VII was a product of it's times, just as the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII is a product of now (and may even be mocked in the same way years from now).

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Slunks

Jayge: When I actually got a chance to talk to Mr. Barnett last weekend, we talked for a bit about his golden age theory. I had Sessler's words running in the back of my head, and brought up that his theory proves that we'll never often see common discussion amongst people -- he completely agreed.

But in general, I keep up with Sessler's Soapbox, and I think it shows the better side of him -- the side I look up to. To take the words of Jim Connor (Dendei), who which I was talking to that night: "It feels like he's going down a troll's checklist and marking off each one." In this video, it's really the ONLY vibe I get from it. I couldn't agree any more with Eelcire, as it just feels like he's off the mark. It's a shame, because when Adam typically goes for a style like this, he's dead on -- Resident Evil 5, for example.

Regardless, I'll make it clear that I still love the Sessdog. Although the only word I can think of for this whole outlash is, well ... 'silly.'

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By m1k3

So he was saying all of these negative stuff about a game that was released in 1997, times were different. how old is that video?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo

I think Sessler is just being a big asshole to get attention. Clearly it's working. I mean RE5 definitely wasn't just 3 stars, and FFVII inspired a bunch of games. Whatever, I enjoy FFVII and he can fuck off for all I care.

Dendei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Dendei

I've said this before, this video was a troll call. The feeling I got from it was "Oh hey everyone who likes this game, still like it? What the hell! I mean look at it! How could anyone like this! You must a bunch of idiots!". If you want to say anything negative about that game, go right ahead and do it. I think it creates great discussion when done right. However with this it seems like an attempt to antagonize the fanbase.

Most of what is said in that video can be presented to any popular game from over 10 years ago. "Hey, like Ocarina of Time? WHY?! The graphics are blocky and you have no modern quest interface! It's just the same stupid thing over and over with a dumb story to boot. Boy you fans sure are dumb!". All this is basics in the troll handbook, which is what bothers me the most about this video.

ArtG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ArtG

This, along with the IGN: Is Metal Gear Overrated is an example of how far gaming journalism has to go. These stories and videos exist for no other purpose than hits, because they know that certain people will be drawn into the sensationalist nature of the piece. What they might think is thought-provoking and discussion starting is only half-true--while discussions do crop up by these videos and articles--they're more likely going to be discussions about the writer's incompetence rather than the subject matter at hand.

Besides, is 2009 really the correct time to start a discussion about Final Fantasy VII? Or May 2009 the correct time to put out a "Is Metal Gear Overrated" article? Perhaps if reviewers had their gripes about the series and or games at the time they were released they could try and prove their "toughness", which is all these articles amount to--trying to prove credibility, toughness and a critical eye towards video games--but all this comes off as is spineless hindsighting. Perhaps if gaming journalists spoke of their gripes in their initial reviews rather than 6-12 months later (or hell, 12 years later), their profession would be taken more seriously in the gaming industry and community.

mrchup0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By mrchup0n

Regardless of whether or not Final Fantasy VII was a great game or not (I say it's "pretty good" and leave it at that), what I want to know is this: Is "Your Childhood Sucks" a series--or going to be a series--that is meant to be taken tongue-in-cheek? At first when I heard about the, I felt like maybe Sessler decided to let go of his upstanding principles for a second just to troll. But then watching the video, I feel like it's supposed to be doing what it's doing. Yeah, it's pretty much a troll post. But are the rest of "Your Childhood Sucks" troll posts? Perhaps it's a social experiment geared towards seeing how many of us in the gaming audience can take these things in stride and debate them richly, or react and just send him hate mail? As trolly as this is, you have to admit that the majority of the audience *probably* would end up responding in an undesireable manner, and like I said, maybe it's part of his own little social experiment. Not saying it's right or wrong, and I'm not saying anything really, just that I'm wondering if it's supposed to be this way either for "fun" or as an "experiment."

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheKidNixon

So...if I think Final Fantasy VII kinda sucks, am I a troll for having that opinion? It is a ridiculously over hyped game that was mostly a product of its time than a really exceptional FF game, in my opinion. I always compare it to FF6 that came before it, and it just don't hold up. Its story is convoluted to all hell, the combat slogs, the attempts at varied gameplay come as random and gimmicky, the art style is widely inconsistent and the general play of it is just not terribly enjoyable. Yes, it broke the Japanese RPG style to the wide audience, but that was largely because it felt different from past games. Plus, this is the Playstation we're talking about; except for the original NES, this was the console that brought gaming to the widest audience.

Jeremy Parrish has stated similiar opinions on the game on the Retronauts podcast, though only when discussing Final Fantasy games in general. And similiarly, people have criticisized him for just wanting to stir up shit and be contrary. It seems that this game is held above criticism, or that we have some sort objective standard of which games are to be considered universally praise-worthy. While the language of this segment is unfortunately trolltastic, I think the core idea behind it is a valid one: that nothing is above criticism and nostalgia is a hell of a drug. And while I wouldn't say that FFVII "sucks," it is by far the most overrated game in the series and has not aged nearly as well as just about every other game in the series, 2 excepted. But 2 was dated when it came out.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11  Edited By the8bitNacho
TheKidNixon said:
So...if I think Final Fantasy VII kinda sucks, am I a troll for having that opinion? It is a ridiculously ... [more]
The point of being involved in the enthusiast press is to deliver an opinion to an audience.  95% of of the time, if you insult what is perhaps considered--how ever wrongly--the greatest Japanese RPG of all time, you're aiming your opinion at FPS junkies that don't like the genre, or you're trying to piss off an entire fanbase.  That's about as close to trolling as a professional games journalist can get.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheKidNixon

So is the alternative to keep your mouth shut and just allow people to keep praising a game that came out over ten years ago? Yes, I do believe that this particular segment is to get a rise out of people. But Sessler has nothing to prove other than to make you question your nostalgia.

Whatever the "function" of enthusiast press is or isn't, I can't imagine the job entails echoing what everyone else says or shutting up when your in the minority. In fact, I'd say the minority voice is the most important. I might not agree (or in this case, agree, and I love Japanese RPGs) but at the very least it forces me to answer why I agree or disagree. It creates discussion (obviously) and I can't see how that's a bad thing.

mrchup0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By mrchup0n

There are more constructive ways to criticize than troll. That's why I'm open to the possibility that this video is only to be taken somewhat seriously.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the8bitNacho
TheKidNixon said:
So is the alternative to keep your mouth shut and just allow people to keep praising a game that came ... [more]
I'm sorry, but what the fuck is wrong with praising a game you have fond memories of?  Nostalgia isn't meant to be questioned.  I loved Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX.  I still hold them in impossibly high regard and I know they don't hold up, just as pretty much every other PlayStation game doesn't hold up.  I loved Goldeneye, but I know the game doesn't stand up at all anymore.  Hell, Super Mario Bros. doesn't at all hold up with today's standards, but people still love it.

Sessler was trolling, especially considering that he doesn't even like the Final Fantasy series.  Deal with it.  This opinion was thrown out there to validate like-minded individuals and to infuriate everyone else.  It wasn't presented to inform or (in my opinion) entertain.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
Kombat said:
TheKidNixon said: So is the alternative to keep your mouth shut and just allow people to keep praising a game ... [more]
Tons of Playstation games hold up very, very well, actually. As does Super Mario Bros. Games like that, or Solomon's Key, even Pac-man, etc. have held up and will hold up forever. Things like that are timeless. And as for Sessler trolling, no. He was expressing an opinion. Was it possibly not the best way to present that opinion? Maybe. Will many people agree with his opinion? Probably not. Does that make it trolling? Fuck no, and if you think it does you need to throw your computer out of a window. To label it "trolling" simply because you're unable to grasp the perspective from which he offers his viewpoint is ridiculous.
DarkSeraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By DarkSeraphim

FFVII is an awesome game, and a lot of people that have played it, the majority  loved it. People dont have to be so flippin negative about it, over the years they only started remaking everything so that we could enjoy the game with higher quality and better graphics, so many ideas were born out of the game as well. There are multiple diefferent arguments over the game and multiple different questions and statements. I believe the game was extremely unique when it came out, and it still is.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By gearhead
I somewhat agree with what Adam Sessler said. The game today, and to me back then was not what everyone said, I always was a FF6 and X guys myself, but I think if you look back, Adam has always been very hard on Final Fantasy games. But hey its opinoun, and honestly, you can't tell someone not to have that opinoun. 
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheKidNixon
Kombat said:
TheKidNixon said: So is the alternative to keep your mouth shut and just allow people to keep praising a game ... [more]
The problem with nostalgia is that is clouds (heh...) people's vision on things that they can otherwise be "objective" (which is a joke in an dof itself) about. I don't like Final Fantasy VII; you do. That's fine. That is a difference between us. But the problem is that people often just assume that games are as good as they remember them, or that things "aren't the way they used to be."

On another thread, there was a VG Cats comic that was basically ranting against the current state of gaming; the whole thing was pretty redicilous, but the most infuriating thing for me was one section where it asked "When was the last time you played a truly great game?" The assumed answer is that its been a long damn time. Well, no. There are quite a few excellent games still coming out, again, according to my opinion.

You bring up a good point in Goldeneye, which is often brought up as a game that should be praised for its time but has not aged terribly well. Which I agree with, to a point, but there was more to Goldeneye than it just being the first competent console FPS. it had a great multiplayer experience that had very chaotic maps. It had great gadgets and weapons to fiddle around with that changed up the usual point and shoot gameplay. It had James fucking Bond, before he became a whiney tosser. I certainly think it holds up, and I have played it recently. Is someone invalid for saying otherwise. No, but they are a soulless cretin. (And I hate to have to even acknowledge this, but that's a joke.)

So yes, nostalgia should be questioned. If you still like Final Fantasy VII, then by all means like it. You're not alone. But don't try to couch it in terms of  "Game X is objectively awesome, and can't be questioned because of its impact on the industry." Fuck that, because nothing is so sacred to not be questioned or analyzed. That is what criticism, games or otherwise, is. And if a critic is called a troll for questioning the merit of a so-called masterpiece, then games criticsm has a long way to go before being taken seriously.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stang

Sessler is a creepy asshole. Nothing to do with this at all, there is just something about him that screams "freak."

That is all.

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slunks
Jayge_ said:
Kombat said: TheKidNixon said: So is the alternative to keep your mouth shut and just allow people to keep praising ... [more]
It's not the issue of grasping the perspective, it's an issue of quality. What does this video teach, his opinion of Final Fantasy VII? Great, got it. It's the why of his reasoning that's so mind boggling. He's crushing a game in retrospect, pointing out nothing but its flaws. The sole issue that I can't get out of my head, and a lot of people would agree, is a majority of his opinion can be pointed towards a large number of games from the past.

He's obviously looking for every little flaw within the game, whether it makes sense or not. For example, when he points out the issue with Uematsu's music being in MIDI format, did he ever come to think of why they chose MIDI? I remember in an interview out there somewhere, he stated that if the format would have been .MP3, the load times between each screen transition would have increased immensely -- at least 4-5 seconds. It was a technical issue that Square decided to fix themselves, and for the better.

As I said, I'm perfectly fine with other critical views. His review on Resident Evil 5 was amazing to me. I remember thinking "there's no way," but I knew that by time I watched the video, I would completely understand. It was a great review because he backed up his thoughts with examples on why the game didn't keep up with the times. Looking at this video in particular, though, he fails to do so in a concise manner. Anybody could make this video, and Sessler is better than that.

I'm not sure what to think exactly on the whole "trolling" thing, but he's certainly coming off as one.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
Slunks said:
Jayge_ said: Kombat said: TheKidNixon said: So is the alternative to keep your mouth shut and just allow people to ... [more]
So because you disagree with his video or his reasoning, you decide he's a troll, or that he's coming off as one. Still a great whopping bowl of failure right there.
ArtG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArtG
TheKidNixon said:
But the problem is that people often just assume that games are as good as they remember them, or that things "aren't the way they used to be."
Nostalgia is there for a reason--it was a good experience at the time of its release and should be judged accordingly.
mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mattbodega
Part of the reason people like it so much is that it was their first "real" RPG, just like Sessler said.. Before Final Fantasy 7, there were other good RPGs, but they weren't nearly as popular or successful as FF7. The RPG was a more niche genre back in the day. Final Fantasy 7 was like Guitar Hero or Starcraft or World of Warcraft; it wasn't the first game of it's respective genre, but it was absolutely the genre's first mainstream success. Final Fantasy 7 was massive, and on a system that had been branded and marketed as the "cool kids, serious" platform, compared to the Snes status of being a "toy".
Obviously, Sessler is absolutely right. Final Fantasy 7 doesn't hold up as a modern game, and it doesn't have the same appeal it did back in the day. Want to know why? Because it's a 12 year old game! Most 12 year old games, especially first and second generation 3D titles, look and play like garbage all of these years later.
Reguardless of your feelings of the game, critically, Final Fantasy 7 is one of the two most important RPGs ever made; between FF7 in 97 and the release of Pokemon Red/Blue in 98, the RPG genre gained a dramatically wider audience. You could compare it to what Knights of the Old Republic did for Rpg's in 2003, but on a much more dramtic scale.
Yes, Final Fantasy 7 has loads of problems. Oodles of problems. But 12 years later, all of those complaints are beside the point. Final Fantasy 7 is an important game in the history of gaming. You can't go back to it, and it doesn't stand the test of time. Most games don't. Most silent films don't hold up all these years later either. Final Fantasy 7 is a game that is historically relevant rather than good; Sessler, however, isn't interested in the game's importance in the medium; he's breaking the game down critically.
Part of the thing that bothers me about this video is that Sessler judges the game based on modern standards. Too many random encounters? That was the way the JRPG was in those days. Straight up, that has to do more with genre standards of the time, and it is in no way relevant to modern game design. Saying Final Fantasy 7 is bad because it  has too many random battles is like saying Goldeneye is bad because you only have one analog stick for aiming; it's absolutly true, but you're judging the game  based on hindsight, and that doesn't give the game a fair chance.
I absolutly see where Sessler is coming from: he wants to combat the "FF7 is the best game ever" line of reasoning from game players. I just think that mode of reasoning is a self defeating circle; the games you and I love today will almost certianly be rejected by following generations. That's the way time works.
Sessler saying that he  didn't like FF7 is only really interesting if he has never liked the series, even when it was released  back in 1997. Otherwise, this video is misguided, even though it is certianly correct.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheKidNixon

I will say that I think this particular review isn't the best example of negative criticism of the genre; I much prefer Jeremy Parish's criticisms of the game, largely because he (at least claims) that even at the time of its release, he wasn't wowed by the game. It is different to hear his perspective as someone who played every Square RPG up to that point, and then to feel cold by the harder edge of that game. Sessler, in this video at least, does shoot for the lowest common denominator and leaves little room for conversation.

My issue is more with the idea that FF7 is above criticism, and I hope at least most people here will see how ridiculous of a sentiment that is.

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Slunks
Jayge_ said:
Slunks said: Jayge_ said: Kombat said: TheKidNixon said: So is the alternative to keep your mouth shut and just allow ... [more]
It's far less his opinion, but the presentation at hand. Telling your audience that you're going to punch them in the face for being immersed in a game is ... well, it makes your opinion pretty hard to take seriously. I don't know what you're trying to get at, since you entered this blog/thread with a whole different attitude set out to prove something else.

Yes, I somewhat disagree with his opinion, but that's not the reason I'm set on calling him a "troll" in this instance -- not that I am, since I'm still extremely undetermined on right now, which is the point of this discussion. It's the delivery: from the very beginning he understands that this is going to piss a lot of people off, and from there he just condescends anyone who enjoyed the game. I hate repeating words, but I'll say it again: I can't wholeheartedly agree with his Resident Evil 5 review, but man ... I enjoyed it and respect it.

This video comes off amateurish and serves little purpose other than to piss people off. If he would have tried a calmer, objective, and more definitive look at the game, he could present the same facts and show a more intelligent stance, which is usually how he is. As I said in the video, I'm not the biggest fan of the game either, though I do find it enjoyable, as well as an acceptable game that helped shape the industry at least a little bit.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of Halo, but I can see what it did to help console shooters succeed. That doesn't mean I should place it on the chopping block and murder it's flaws with careless insults. If I do, I sit down, play the game again and look at the game objectively. If I glance at an old game, view it subjectively and make a rampaging video about it, how is my audience going to react?

To be honest, the reaction is not surprising at all.
Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Really Sessler? Really? Come oooooooooooooooooooon! Reeeeeeeeeeealy?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jayge_
Slunks said:
Jayge said: Slunks said: Jayge said: Kombat said: TheKidNixon said: So is the alternative to keep your mouth shut and ... [more]
Then you misunderstand what it means to "troll" people. In essence, (summed up very well on UrbanDictionary), trolling is orchestrating content (a forum post, or a quote, or a video, whatever) in order to elicit negative emotional responses from people viewing that content, in order to derive some kind of illicit pleasure from causing said negative responses. One of the things that (in my opinion) has always helped Sessler maintain his image is that he never cares (or appears to care) what anybody will think of his opinion. That is the opposite of trolling. Popular or unpopular, he calls them like he sees them and he doesn't make concessions for anybody. He knew it would stir some reaction from the Final Fantasy Defense Force, obviously; however, the purpose of the video is also to offer what I described it as offering in the first reply to this blog. 

While the predictable negative reaction could be considered evidence that makes a case for the "trolling" status of the video, the fact that Sessler, when it all comes down to it, really couldn't care less what the reaction to the video was removes all pretense of him deriving some kind of emotional satisfaction from making his community angry.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Jensonb

Hey, listen folks, you can argue all you want that it was better 12 years ago. I was there. It was not. It was ugly, tedious, boring and overhyped then, and nothing has changed. It might have been your first RPG, it might have been the first massive JRPG hit in the Western world, but it is trash. Part of this is just the problem with a lot of JRPGs (There are exceptions). Part of it is Square Enix's archaic design practices (Yes, practices which were already archaic 12 years ago and which they are still employing), And why ar ethir practices so archaic? Because JRPG fans are the worst kinds of fanboys in the world. So opposed to change, it boggles the mind.

You guys are free to love Final Fantasy VII to death. I love games you guys would hate too (like Excite Truck), but you have got to stop acting like everyone agrees with you and the people who dislike Final Fantasy VII are a minority. There's actually more of us.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By jakob187

Personally, I haven't watched Sessler's video yet, but I remember picking up a copy day one (still have it too, original misprint copy).  The game was bad, but because it was the first real RPG on the PS1...and because it was graphically amazing to people at the time...and because it was Final Fantasy...and because it killed off a main character halfway through the story...

...all these situations caused the game to get more hype and praise than it truthfully deserved.  Granted, it did revolutionize RPGs from that point on, and many have followed in its footsteps.  However, look at how many of those RPGs are the same cookie-cutter dry crap that FFVII was.  Hell, Square didn't even honestly change the formula up until FFXI, and no one wanted to play an FF MMO except super die-hard MMO fans.  FFXII really changed up the formula, and it was nice to have that happen.

Needless to say, FFVII was mediocre at best when it came out.  The Materia system just didn't hold up to the Espers system in my personal opinion, but a LOT of people feel differently about it.  The setting was also one of the big reasons people attached to the game, as it wasn't a traditional magic-sword-shield RPG.  Nonetheless, games like Earthbound had already made a change from the usual RPG setting, and yet FFVII gets so much more acclaim.  Why?

So, I'll go watch Sessler's video and see if he is honestly just being a jerk about it or if he sports valid points.  I don't necessarily agree that people just coming into games should go back to the past 20 years of gaming and start reaming it just because they weren't around when it came out...but who am I to tell people what to think?  =  /
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By the8bitNacho
Jensonb said:
Hey, listen folks, you can argue all you want that it was better 12 years ago. I was there. It ... [more]
Trash?  What?  I think you're just taking it way too far there.

I admit that the game doesn't hold up and that the story falls apart near the end, but trash?  It plays the same freaking way as every other Final Fantasy game prior to Final Fantasy XII, admittedly lacking a few improvements along the way.  Trash though?  I've played trash, and this does not fall under that classification.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By jakob187

Alright, so I watched the video of Sessler's rant...and he's pretty much spot on...even on points that I never thought about (like the soundtrack...WTF?!...how did I NEVER notice that?!).

I agree with just about everything he said, as well as have my own opinion above.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheKidNixon

You know, re-watching the video to see how "trollish" it was, I think the most bizarre part is how Sessler passively supports chasing ambien with vodka.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By the8bitNacho

The point that I think everyone attacking Sessler for this video is trying to make is that the video serves no purpose other than to validate his own opinion and the opinions of like-minded individuals, or to piss off a rabid fanbase.  This wasn't meant to inform, or really to even entertain.  It seemed as if Sessler was attempting to change the mind of the fanboys, something that just isn't going to happen.

I'm not a Final Fantasy VII fanboy.  If you ask me which games in the series I like (that I've played), it would probably be near the bottom.  I'm also not in the camp that apparently believes that the game was garbage some twelve years down the line.  It isn't garbage now, and it certainly wasn't garbage then.  It was overhyped to hell, but the critical praise wasn't unprecented, and neither is the love of the fans at which this aimed to piss off.

Avatar image for sheikyerbouti_strikes_back
SheikYerbouti_Strikes_Back

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see Sessler has finally gone off the deep end.

I used to have quite a bit of respect for Mr. Sessler as a game critic and commentator. I remember the fan backlash when he flunked Crisis Core, and it was ugly. But he was right to do it, as it was ostensibly a lax game. Better to tell the truth about such things than to assure people that something like that is a great game, when it clearly isn't.

But this is preposterous, to say the least. Sessler may not like FFVII, or even the franchise as a whole, but utilizing laughable non-logic and resorting to baseless ad hominem attacks to make his points isn't going to win anyone over to his side. (Appeal to majority is just one of many, many logical fallacies that he indulges in here, fallacies that should be obvious to anyone with even the most basic education).

I can only shake my head. Whether some gamers like it or not, FFVII is a classic, a game that opened the market for other RPGs to follow, and harbored a plot that subverted numerous RPG story tropes. It also contained high-level story points that went way over the heads of most of the people who played it (the deconstruction of identity of the ubiquitous monomythical hero, for one). Sniping it a good decade after its release is like dusting off Citizen Kane or Nosferatu and blasting them for not being in colour or utilizing the latest in camera techniques.

Bad form, Sessler. Bad form, indeed.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#35  Edited By AgentJ

What, so no one gets mad at IGN when they do the exact same thing? Regardless, FFVII has aged poorly, and the fact that many were attracted to it by the cutscenes is a legitimate gripe. It is still a Final Fantasy game, but it was kind of a bummer for all of the previous fans of the series when it becomes popular just because people thinks it looks pretty. His complaint about how often some of the random boss fights came up was legitimate as well. FFVII was still a great game in its day, but unlike some games from its generation, it just doesnt stack up anymore. But regardless of whether he was right or wrong, he is just a guy putting his opinion out there, and i cant understand why anyone is getting their panties in a bunch when he says something "controvercial". No one made topics about IGN calling FFVII overrated, so why should they for Sessler?

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheKidNixon
SheikYerbouti_Strikes_Back said:
I see Sessler has finally gone off the deep end.I used to have quite a bit of respect for Mr. ... [more]
This is the last time I'm going to post anything in this thread (probably...), but this bit really highlights my real frustration with this whole debate.

Did FF7 introduce many people to JRPGS? Yes. Its influence in the sense of how many people played the game and discovered the genre (to say nothing of the anime art style and aesthetic) is pretty well established. Along with the rise in popularity of Akira in the West, many many people were exposed to the general popular culture of Japan for one of the first times, not simply as repacked products made for a western audience. But that doesn't make it, objectively, a game that people have to respect. That is a ludicrious opinion on the very premise that the game needs to be honored and celebrated because it was popular.

Sessler's video doesn't make a very compelling point for why FFVII is overhyped, and his rhetorical style is mostly mocking the game and its rampany fan-base, but you can't belittle his opinion on the quality of the game itself because it is a subjective reaction to say any game is good or bad. Final Fantasy is a series that has stuck to its guns pretty traditionally throughout, save for XII which longtime players of the series seem to be divided on the quality of. And while I'll contend that FFVII's story attempts at something resembling depth and deconstruction, it is also the same heavy-handed symbolism and melodrama that the series was already known for at this point. And even at that, I think that the story of V is a much more compelling deconstruction. (I've already stated my personal belief that the story in VI is still the most compelling, from its multiple viewpoint perspective and a truly hateable villain.)

I resent the idea that not only as a fan of JRPGS, including the Final Fantasy series, but as a gamer I am required to accept the greatness that is FFVII. That's nonsense; its an overhyped story with a dodgy plot, stereotypical characters, boring combat system, inconsistent graphics and over-extended by-the-books gameplay. Would I say it sucks? Not exactly, but it is one of the lesser entries in the series. It is a prime example of coming at the right place and the right time, and opened the door to other great games that I love dearly. We all played it because Square and Sony marketed the shit out of it and made it an event game. It was an event game, and I don't judge people who gave it glowing scores at the time or still love it. I just have my opinion of it, and that opinion is that its okay at best, and at portions definitely a sub-par entry into Final Fantasy. And its okay for me to think that.

(As an aside, your film theory analogies don't exactly work because both Citizen Kane and Nosferatu are both still celebrated for their camera work. Obviously both didn't have any substantial use of color, though both are great examples of using shade for narrative and dramatic purposes. If anything, they stand as examples of art that have stood the test of time and still stand out as exceptional in their own right, not merely as products of their space in the development of film.)
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By REDRUN

I can see the argument of nostalgia vs. fanboyism is pointless. Name calling and who can yell the loudest would win this contest of words. I don't need a back story to say, I stood in line that morning at Babbages to pick up my pre-order of Final Fantasy VII with the guide, FF VII t-shirt that came with the pre-order. I was a fan of FF VII. Playing it today is not as fun as it once was. My feeling for FF VII had change, confirming FF VII did suck. If I had not play the game again 10 years later, there would stil be that place in my heart stating FF VII is the Holy Grail of JRPGs. That feeling I had was nostalgia, is now gone. So if you do plan on keeping that idea that FF VII still hold up to today, don't play it again.

For those who are willing to defend the game, I challege you to do a playthrough once again and then give your verdict. I loved it then, not so much now. There are tons of RPGs since then that surprised me and enjoyed just as much if not more.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By MadBootsy

Just got the chance to watch this... so... What was the point of that? If it was to go "Bahaha I'm doing this to piss you off - FF7 sucked back then and still sucks now BYYYYE!", then good job! The video comes off in a very "I'M RIGHT ABOUT THIS AND YOU ARE WRONG" kind of way. I definitely don't disagree with some of his points against the game but... sigh... I know he can do better than this, it's such a shame.

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Metasin

Was the video trolling? To a degree, Sessler likes to poke at hornets nests every now and then. The interesting thing to me isn't what he says about the game, you could pick apart any 10+ year old game like that, it is all the reactions. He has plucked the fanboy nerve of a lot of people who wouldn't normally act that way. Yes you loved it growing up, yes it impacted the industry greatly, but it isn't above reproach, it isn't perfect. Hang on to your nostalgia but don't lose perspective in the process, have a laugh at how badly the stuff you played as a kid has aged and keep it moving.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SquirrelGOD

I agree with Sessler.  FFVII was just a horrible game in my opinion.  I just found it to be boring, confusing, and also the beginning of the era of lame male RPG protagonists.  I do understand why people liked it, but at the same time, I believe those same people are blind to why some people may not like it, and will always throw a major nerd hissy fit whenever anyone brings up the question of the game's quality.  If you liked it, that's cool.  Just watch the video, shrug, and move on.  It doesn't change how you feel at all, so what does it matter?

...Although if you DID cry when Aris got stabbed, you are a total tool.  That's just scientific fact.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By REDRUN
@TheKidNixon: My first JRPG was Dragon Warrior for the NES. For me and serveral of my friends, this was my gateway game. Chrono Triigger and Final Fantasy was many more first JRPG. Final Fantasy had a big ad campaign with the Moogle, you guessed it, another gateway. Wild Arms for the Playstation 1 was a gateway before FF VII, Y's Books I & II on the Turbo Graphics 16. Phantasy Star on the Sega. Today, Persona 4, Pokemon and Lost Odyssey are today's gateway for this generation.

Final Fantasy 7 was over-hyped. FF7 is not the only RPG/JRPG that got people to play RPGs. I would not recomend FF7 to anyone who is curious about RPGs to this generation. I hate to break it to you, we are not living in the 90's anymore.

If FF VII was to make any re-release, then it needs some heavy westernization. Minor and major rewrites. Current generation character models and world design. Sound design needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Improved enemy design, refined GUI and voice actors to do the voice overs. Its not a remake, its a rebuild from the ground up to make some connection to today's newbies to the JRPG or FF genre,
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Jensonb
@SquirrelGOD: Absolutely agreed.
Diablos1125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Diablos1125

FF7 was not my first RPG and I still love the shit out of it, fuck Sessler.