Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

Y'know, I miss how games used to be. People play games now because they're 'futuristic' and 'gory' and 'violent' and 'intense'. I miss the old gamer demographic, people who loved to play games simply because, well, they loved to play games!  Nowadays it almost seems like an Xbox 360 or a Nintendo DS is a like status symbol, I miss when games were nerdy and niche. Back then people played games because it was a passion of theirs. Now, people play games to seems cool or 'with it', it's almost like cigarretes back in the 50s. I miss when games were unpopular basically. 

What do you think about the subject?
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

They still exist, though. Gamers are still considered nerdy, it's just that a lot of teens are now identifying themselves as gamers without doing the things to deserve the title.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Eh, it happens. At least now we have a bunch more people to talk to about it though right? 
Plus, I still play games for fun....that or achievement points.
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Emandudeguyperson
@Video_Game_King said:
"They still exist, though. Gamers are still considered nerdy, it's just that a lot of teens are now identifying themselves as gamers without doing the things to deserve the title. "

My thoughts exactly.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By sjschmidt93

You hate that other people do what you do? Sounds awkward, almost like you want to be part of a remote group and be seperate from most people.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SmasheControllers
@Emandudeguyperson: I feel the same.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

Things really aren't that different in most ways.  People used to care more about how many 'bits' a system was than games.  Then in the 90's people cared so much about gore in games, the Mortal Kombat craze was mostly fueled by the gore, not the gameplay.  People went on to FMV games which were rarely decently interactive.

Even though there's a lot of people gaming that don't really care about games - Where games have been, what games have done, what will games one day be - there's a heck of a lot of people that are gaming for the right reasons.  They just want to have fun.  Whether it be playing Wii Sports on Wii or Halo on 360 or Madden on PS3 or Team Fortress 2 on PC...

I get concerned about the people that play too many games that by all objective reasoning are 'bad', but at least there's a fair amount that aren't playing Gears of War JUST because it's bloody...

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Emandudeguyperson said:

" Y'know, I miss how games used to be. People play games now because they're 'futuristic' and 'gory' and 'violent' and 'intense'. I miss the old gamer demographic, people who loved to play games simply because, well, they loved to play games!  Nowadays it almost seems like an Xbox 360 or a Nintendo DS is a like status symbol, I miss when games were nerdy and niche. Back then people played games because it was a passion of theirs. Now, people play games to seems cool or 'with it', it's almost like cigarretes back in the 60s. I miss when games were unpopular basically.  What do you think about the subject? "

Just like every other type of media the type of people who play games can be put into two categories.
One category is people like me and you who really love gaming and would visit a site like GiantBomb.
Then there is everyone else. Fratboys who play Halo, Housewives with a DS or little kids who dont really understand it.
No group is wrong or right they are just different.
Gaming is becoming mainstream and ultimately that is a good thing.
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By vaiz

I agree. Fully. I hate nothing more these days than when someone calls themselves a gamer, but when you ask what they play their only answer is "World of Warcraft", "Guitar Hero/Rockband", or "The Wii". I'm not knocking on people who play these things, just the people who play ONLY these things and tout around the title of 'gamer'. It's almost weird to miss being a social outcast because you like to play games.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Karmum

It's apart of the new generation, I suppose. The generation where the kids have to have the latest gadget, game, or device.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vaiz

We need to find something new, guys. I propose we all take up extreme frisbee golf.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Black_Rose

I disagree, this kinda of elitism is annoying as hell. The more people enjoy playing games (yes, even Soulja Boy >_>) the better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, you hate people for playing games?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vaiz

I think he's more saying he hates people who play games because it's the cool thing to do these days as opposed to because they actually love games.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Video_Game_King said:
" They still exist, though. Gamers are still considered nerdy, it's just that a lot of teens are now identifying themselves as gamers without doing the things to deserve the title. "
Yeah, like "I'm a gamer, I play Guitar Hero and COD4"

Kind of like how Shaq called himself a "geek" because he uses Twitter.
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punkxblaze said:
"We need to find something new, guys. I propose we all take up extreme frisbee golf. "

Yes! That's extremely nerdy, there's no chance that'll ever catch on!
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By CoolDrMoney
@Video_Game_King said:
" They still exist, though. Gamers are still considered nerdy, it's just that a lot of teens are now identifying themselves as gamers without doing the things to deserve the title. "
Oh Jesus. I didn't know there were certain requirements you had to meet to earn yourself a marketing label.
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sidescroller said:
"I COMPLETELY disagree.  Why is it a bad thing games are becoming more socially acceptable?  If anything I find that this is a good thing for everybody, and fail to see how it effects anything in a negative way.  There are still people who are incredibly passionate about games (like the majority of people who use this website), but it's still a generally good thing that games are seeing more mass consumption.  Besides, aren't you 13?  The Dreamcast came out when you were three, games were already heading in this direction.  I'm not trying to use a cheap-age argument, I mean, I really don't think less of you or anything, I'm just wondering what specific time frame you refer to as the "Good-old days" "

'03 bitchez!
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Bigandtasty
@Diamond said:
" Things really aren't that different in most ways.  People used to care more about how many 'bits' a system was than games.  Then in the 90's people cared so much about gore in games, the Mortal Kombat craze was mostly fueled by the gore, not the gameplay.  People went on to FMV games which were rarely decently interactive."
Agreed. People bought into games for stupid reasons back then and it's the same way now.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

Game on motherfuckers... game on. I'm old as the fucking hills, but my games are better today than yesteryear.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy

I still feel like that towards games, though... does that make me different?  O.O

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sabata

Anyone who thinks the "title" Gamer should be "earned" is a fucking moron.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By jonnyboy
@CoolDrMoney said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
Oh Jesus. I didn't know there were certain requirements you had to meet to earn yourself a marketing label. "
@Sabata said:
" Anyone who thinks the "title" Gamer should be "earned" is a fucking moron. "
True and truer. Word.
AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By AlexB

If games weren't considered nerdy anymore there wouldn't be anyone using this website or any other's like it. The majority of "hardcore" or "true" gamers *or whatever you want to call it* still greatly outweigh the casuals. Because honestly the casual moves on to the next best thing. The next best thing might be...IDK... painting or something and video games won't mean anything to them. But for people that truly love games, we will always be around. So I wouldn't say that our hobby is too mainstream.

Edit: LOL 420 posts. Sorry I had to do it.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Since I was a little kid people have said they play games to sound cool.  It's nothing new.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldschool
@punkxblaze said:
" We need to find something new, guys. I propose we all take up extreme frisbee golf. "
I tried to get people to play Torch Tennis with me for a while.  In fact, I started playing all my sport in the dark, with just a torch.  There weren't too many long rallies in Torch Tennis, but it was blast. 

Maybe I need to get back to that.  I looked crazy and no-one else wanted to do it.  Just like gaming used to be  ^_^
manurok1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By manurok1

I agree. I play games a lot but I do have other intrests yet one of my friends tells me I have no life despite the fact he also plays games, he is just a casual gamer. It seems ever since the Wii came out, gaming just became like watching TV, it was just a form of entertainment that anyone could do. I feel like the casual gamers are missing out whilst we are enjoying Halo, Gears, Killzone whatever, they are still fascinated by a controller you can wave about. I do miss it when gaming was like a community.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldschool
@manurok1 said:
" I agree. I play games a lot but I do have other intrests yet one of my friends tells me I have no life despite the fact he also plays games, he is just a casual gamer. It seems ever since the Wii came out, gaming just became like watching TV, it was just a form of entertainment that anyone could do. I feel like the casual gamers are missing out whilst we are enjoying Halo, Gears, Killzone whatever, they are still fascinated by a controller you can wave about. I do miss it when gaming was like a community. "
They are not missing out on anything.  They have many awesome choices available, from Super Mario Galaxy to Little King's Story to No More Heroes and  beyond.  If they don't play them, that is their problem.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By asurastrike
@Emandudeguyperson said:

" Y'know, I miss how games used to be. People play games now because they're 'futuristic' and 'gory' and 'violent' and 'intense'. I miss the old gamer demographic, people who loved to play games simply because, well, they loved to play games!  Nowadays it almost seems like an Xbox 360 or a Nintendo DS is a like status symbol, I miss when games were nerdy and niche. Back then people played games because it was a passion of theirs. Now, people play games to seems cool or 'with it', it's almost like cigarretes back in the 50s. I miss when games were unpopular basically.  What do you think about the subject? "

You kinda sound like someone who hates a band as soon as they get their break.

I play games for the same exact reason I played them 10 years ago, because they are fun. No one plays a game because it is 'futuristic' and 'gory' and 'violent' and 'intense'. Those things might contribute to their enjoyment of a game, but people play because they are having fun.

Also, why do you care about the motivations of people playing games?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By penguindust
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Emandudeguyperson said:

" Y'know, I miss how games used to be. People play games now because they're 'futuristic' and 'gory' and 'violent' and 'intense'. I miss the old gamer demographic, people who loved to play games simply because, well, they loved to play games!  Nowadays it almost seems like an Xbox 360 or a Nintendo DS is a like status symbol, I miss when games were nerdy and niche. Back then people played games because it was a passion of theirs. Now, people play games to seems cool or 'with it', it's almost like cigarretes back in the 60s. I miss when games were unpopular basically.  What do you think about the subject? "

Just like every other type of media the type of people who play games can be put into two categories. One category is people like me and you who really love gaming and would visit a site like GiantBomb. Then there is everyone else. Fratboys who play Halo, Housewives with a DS or little kids who dont really understand it. No group is wrong or right they are just different. Gaming is becoming mainstream and ultimately that is a good thing. "
Listen to Goldblum.  He's a scientist (sometimes).  

Don't worry so much about other people's play habits.  We are slowly moving towards a world where gamers are not viewed as overweight virgins living in their parent's basement simply because the mainstream has embraced gaming after decades of ridicule.  I don't want to go back to the outcast status of our hobby.  If you are looking to belong to a "niche" culture, become a cosplayer.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By turbomonkey138

Why would this thread get locked ?  The MODs aren't that bad

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Sabata said:
" Anyone who thinks the "title" Gamer should be "earned" is a fucking moron. "
* evil glare* You call your King a fool, sir? Do you truly think that some boisterous teen who got 100 kills on Halo 3 can join our ranks? That some moronic child could become one of us by simply "fragging a bunch of n00bs on Gears?" THEY HAVE NOT ENDURED WHAT WE HAVE ENDURED! They've never survived the ridicule of their peers, nor have they any appreciation for the classics! Good day to you, sir! *exits thread*
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

The games you're reffering to are being made for the iphone right now.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#34  Edited By dudacles

The OP does not make sense to me. You miss when people frowned upon gamers, thinking they were nerdy? Nobody plays games because they think it's cool, because it's not. It's simply fun, and that's the reason there are so many people these days in various age-groups that enjoy games. What's wrong with that? People that detest anything that's popular are plain dumb.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FlipperDesert

"HEY THERE GAMERZZZ TRY OUT THIS NEW XTREEM ENERGY SNACK FOR KEEPING YOU AWAKE ON THOSE LONG-NIGHT RAIDS WITH YOUR CLANNNN *cut to footage of professional snowboarders jumping over a bunch of supermodels riding on velociraptors to a shred solo*"

No thanks, I'd rather someone else was branded with that marketing label anyway, I'm a gaming entheusiast, and the more the merrier if someone wants to play games in their spare time, I could probably make a Brucie reference around some of my family now and not get odd looks.

If people could stop buying bad games though because of the brand/cover, that'd be great.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By Kazona
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" You hate that other people do what you do? Sounds awkward, almost like you want to be part of a remote group and be seperate from most people. "
I agree. Just because more people play games now doesn't mean they are doing it to look cool. The reason why people are playing more games is because they've become more enjoyable, look better, and they have better marketing. Games have evolved from quircky little "pew pew pew" shooters (albeit challenging ones) like, say, Contra, to full-on interactive stories with production values and quality that often rivals--and sometimes surpasses--that of movies.
Budster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Budster
@Emandudeguyperson: I agree with you about how games are more of a status quo. But that's why I play a lot of retro games and some indie games that try to recapture that feel from long ago.  
Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ouroboros

I actually blame achievements for ruining the old gamer image.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By breadfan
@Sabata said:
Agreed, I hate to even use the term 'gamer'.  I mean if someone identifies themselves as someone who plays video games and nothing else, what are you really saying about yourself
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@PenguinDust said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
" @Emandudeguyperson said:

Just like every other type of media the type of people who play games can be put into two categories. One category is people like me and you who really love gaming and would visit a site like GiantBomb. Then there is everyone else. Fratboys who play Halo, Housewives with a DS or little kids who dont really understand it. No group is wrong or right they are just different. Gaming is becoming mainstream and ultimately that is a good thing. "
Listen to Goldblum.  He's a scientist (sometimes).    Don't worry so much about other people's play habits.  We are slowly moving towards a world where gamers are not viewed as overweight virgins living in their parent's basement simply because the mainstream has embraced gaming after decades of ridicule.  I don't want to go back to the outcast status of our hobby.  If you are looking to belong to a "niche" culture, become a cosplayer. "
Hey! Im a scientist most of the time...
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho
@Br3adfan said:
" @Sabata said:
Agreed, I hate to even use the term 'gamer'.  I mean if someone identifies themselves as someone who plays video games and nothing else, what are you really saying about yourself "
They're saying the trait that most defines them is playing videogames. They're also saying, with titles like "core gamer" and "true gamer" that they're not comfortable with the idea of millions more people enjoying their hobby so they had to further divide their "clique", which is kinda sad. What does it even mean to be a "true gamer" that people would strive for that title? Its one of those masturbatory things that doesn't impress anyone who isn't already in the club.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iam3green

yes, now it seems like more people are into playing video games. it seems like more and more people are accepting video games. i remember a couple years ago i told a teacher that i play video games she told me i had to get out more..... i actually play video games with my friends. i chill out with my friends..

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Whisperkill
@Emandudeguyperson said:
"Y'know, I miss how games used to be. People play games now because they're 'futuristic' and 'gory' and 'violent' and 'intense'. I miss the old gamer demographic, people who loved to play games simply because, well, they loved to play games!  Nowadays it almost seems like an Xbox 360 or a Nintendo DS is a like status symbol, I miss when games were nerdy and niche. Back then people played games because it was a passion of theirs. Now, people play games to seems cool or 'with it', it's almost like cigarretes back in the 50s. I miss when games were unpopular basically.  What do you think about the subject? "

Video games are far from cool if that's what you're implying.
The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Tolman

i play games cause i enjoy it. i dont give a shit what other people say.
Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#45  Edited By Lazyaza

When the first cave man worked out fire what would humanity have been like if no one else ever became interested in taking part in the same activity. Mass acceptance of anything is the key to it blossoming in to true magnificence.
Evolution itself is dependent on it, your logic is utterly idiotic.   To get more gaming specific, the high budget titles we love and crave these days would not be possible if not for mass acceptance of the past time itself.  Why on earth would anyone spend say 50 million dollars on something only a few hundred people will be interested in.

If however you complaint is more about non gamers claiming they are gamers does it really fucking matter? I mean geezus h christ their are like a billion other things worth giving a shit about in life.
I'm sorry if I come off as too blunt on the subject but I am seriously sick of these kind of discussions popping up in the gaming community.  Games are awesome, most of the world knows this now, BE HAPPY ABOUT IT!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Scooper

You can't say people are 'with it' in 2009 unless you're like 75 years old.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Scooper said:
" You can't say people are 'with it' in 2009 unless you're like 75 years old. "
Yeah, unless you survived the Great Depression GTFO.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Lazyaza said:

" When the first cave man worked out fire what would humanity have been like if no one else ever became interested in taking part in the same activity. Mass acceptance of anything is the key to it blossoming in to true magnificence.
Evolution itself is dependent on it, your logic is utterly idiotic.   To get more gaming specific, the high budget titles we love and crave these days would not be possible if not for mass acceptance of the past time itself.  Why on earth would anyone spend say 50 million dollars on something only a few hundred people will be interested in.  If however you complaint is more about non gamers claiming they are gamers does it really fucking matter? I mean geezus h christ their are like a billion other things worth giving a shit about in life. I'm sorry if I come off as too blunt on the subject but I am seriously sick of these kind of discussions popping up in the gaming community.  Games are awesome, most of the world knows this now, BE HAPPY ABOUT IT! "

Really. Evolution is dependent on anything involving video games? Somehow your statement is implies that he is idiotic and not you? See, the problem is the things I'm seeing these days... I don't crave, and I'm not the only one. Achievements, the shortening of games, a lack of challenge, and a focus on playing games as a supplement for a sense of achievement in the real world... all of these things happened in spite of the what the core structure of gaming was, and not as some evolutionary progression from it. 

It boils down more or less to this: This used to be about the kids getting shoved in the lockers, and when it's about the kids getting shoved into the lockers it's all about heart. Now, its about the kids who shoved them there, and low and behold, we all discover they aren't actually that good at it anyway.

Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ouroboros said:
"I actually blame achievements for ruining the old gamer image. "

HOLY SHIT!! Yes!! I agree %100.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts