True Life: I'm a Videogame Addict!

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/26923495/mtv-planning-game-addict-reality-show.html
WTF LAWL GAMESPOT R TEH SUCK! Yeah, yeah, I get it. But the fact of the matter is the story inside, not where it came from. I don't like it any more than you do.

On to the point, it seems that MTV is scouting for "Video Game Addicts" whose habits have heavily impacted their relationships with family and friends. I think that if a special like this was to be handled correctly it could be a pretty entertaining show. Call me pessimistic, but I feel like MTV will end up hiring a bunch of amateur actors who blow the concept of "Video Game Addiction" (which I think is kind of bullshit to begin with) way out of proportion, and point the finger of shame at everyone BUT the player themselves.

I'll be interested to see how this thing turns out, just to see how much of a disaster it winds up being. What do you guys think?
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo

I'm proud of saying I've never watched any reality TV show, ever.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Seems stupid

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By meteora

I always thought reality TV was a full blown inaccuracy of what really happens.

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By KillaMaStA

I would never watch a reality TV show about video game addicts, thats a stupid idea.

aceedkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By aceedkins

Video game addiction is merely a symptom of a greater problem for someone.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Absurd

If they don't hire amateur actors, they're going to probably try and grab the nerdiest of them all.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Nasar7

Seems like they're running out of ideas.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By FCKSNAP

True Life isn't a reality show, they're mini-documentaries. Some episodes are good, but most a hit or miss.

They don't try to push a certain point of view on anyone, it's mostly "This is how my life is, and this is what I deal with regularly". Like the Tourrette's Syndrome episode. It just showed how different individuals deal with their disease on a day-to-day basis.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Expletive

if you are honestly ADDICTED to video games, then you have some serious emotional problems, and an EXTREMELY addictive personality.

I mean look at the what happened to the people in the GS article, do they really think putting one of these people on a game show is going to help anyone? 

or they will just pick someone is not addicted at all but just likes games and wants to be on tv.

either way this show will FAIL EPICLY.

EDIT:  i meant to write REALITY  show
BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BODDAH

For all of MTV's faults, True Life is actually a well made show. There's no acting - it features in depth case studies on issues of cultural significance.

Don't get True Life confused with The Real World.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Hmm... Let's see. I hate MTV with a passion, and I hate Reality TV with a passion as well.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BODDAH said:
"For all of MTV's faults, True Life is actually a well made show. There's no acting - it features in depth case studies on issues of cultural significance.

"
Yeah I'll admit I've watched it a few times myself. I found the Anger Issues one to be pretty funny.
LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By LeoMinor

This is MTV's ploy to film fat nerds in front of their computer so people will tune in and laugh at them.  And it just might work.

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Scieran

Didn't watch it, never viewing that site ever again. People that moderate Gamespot give it a bad name. The moderators there are runned by little fucking kids that go around banning people.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_A_Drain
@expletive said:
"if you are honestly ADDICTED to video games, then you have some serious emotional problems, and an EXTREMELY addictive personality.
I mean look at the what happened to the people in the GS article, do they really think putting one of these people on a game show is going to help anyone? 

or they will just pick someone is not addicted at all but just likes games and wants to be on tv.

either way this show will FAIL EPICLY.

EDIT:  i meant to write REALITY  show
"

No, this is complete bullshit.

If you are addicted to videogames you are no more or less emotionally stable than someone who is addicted to anything else that doesn't require physical dedendancy such as drugs or alcohol. People can become addicted to all sorts of things through no fault of their own and it's a legitimate medical concern (and if you care to look at the korean deaths while playing MMO, can even be fatal) for those involved.

A reality tv show is never the answer though, but people who brush off videogame addiction as some sort of media invention need to rethink their stance, it happens, quite a lot in fact.
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By cinemandrew
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/sidebar/909182374/26923495/mtv-planning-game-addict-reality-show.html
WTF LAWL GAMESPOT R TEH SUCK! Yeah, yeah, I get it. But the fact of the matter is the story inside, not where it came from. I don't like it any more than you do.

On to the point, it seems that MTV is scouting for "Video Game Addicts" whose habits have heavily impacted their relationships with family and friends. I think that if a special like this was to be handled correctly it could be a pretty entertaining show. Call me pessimistic, but I feel like MTV will end up hiring a bunch of amateur actors who blow the concept of "Video Game Addiction" (which I think is kind of bullshit to begin with) way out of proportion, and point the finger of shame at everyone BUT the player themselves. I'll be interested to see how this thing turns out, just to see how much of a disaster it winds up being. What do you guys think? "
MTV already did that once. So, they're doing it again? I think the first one had "Fatality" in it. Weird that they're doing another when the first one wasn't anything special.

@BODDAH said:
" For all of MTV's faults, True Life is actually a well made show. There's no acting - it features in depth case studies on issues of cultural significance.

"
They're not case studies. It's an hour long show that follows around 2-3 people with similar issues. They have had some interesting episodes, and I can appreciate the relative objectivity of the show. It's certainly better than you'd expect out of an MTV show.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Optiow

I like reality TV shows.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers