What did this generation bring to the table?

• 51 results
PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PS3RG

Hello people of Giant Bomb. With the current generation of consoles being the Wii, PS3 and X360, what do you think is the single most important thing that has happened to video games? To be more clear, in 10 years from now when people look back at these 3 consoles what will stand out as the thing that changed the way we play video games? Some ideas would be High Definition, Motion Controls, Internet play, faster processing, etc. In my mind I believe that the fact my console boots into an operating system is huge. It really changes the way we play games in terms of accessing games, connecting with friends and organizing media in general. So I guess what I'm saying is that consoles becoming more like a personal computer instead of simply "put in disc and play" is a key part of this generation. What do you think?

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By LiquidSwords

It made it possible to hear hundreds of gamers whine like little babies when they can't get their way.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By EVO

Touch screens. 

They've been around for years, but never like the DS or iPod/Phone/Pad. It's hard to imagine future handheld gaming devices without one, so you could argue that it's the most important.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

I found out I'm a jewish gay camel jockey, so this generation gave me hope in our generation of citizens.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RoujinX

Full frontal nudity.
matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By matpaget
@RoujinX said:
" Full frontal nudity. "
LIKE!
PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By PerryVandell

Online gaming. Sure, Xbox Live was successful, and the PS2 had online capabilities, but that stuff is no where near as successful and huge as online gaming is today. With online multiplayer, downloading games instead of buying discs, and smaller indie games having a higher chance of being noticed, online gaming has done some big things for this industry, arguably more so than anything else. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@RoujinX said:
" Full frontal nudity. "
Ha! Way to go Rockstar! Still pushing the envelope for all of video games!
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Achievements stick out to me.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By luce

DLC and all the bullshit that comes with it

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valrog

A lot of bad things.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kiro

Accessible online multiplayer for the masses, at least for 360 and Ps3. 
Digital down-loadable games for consoles and DLC.
Lots and lots of plastic instruments, the previous generation kinda started it, but it wasn't until Rock Band that we started to pile up instruments that we'll probably never use again. 

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By RaceKickfist

game companies are now run by corporate pricks instead of people who make games?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Thousands upon thousands of gamers who will never be satisfied, no matter how much entertainment they get from games.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grim Fandango, even though it's not from this generation.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By ArchScabby

Delicious salty french fries!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

With people speculating about the future of gaming being purely digital downloads, it seems clear that the popularization of download games is a very significant thing to happen this generation. Sure, the original Xbox had some downloadable games, but it's this generation where they've really taken off, and it's a very significant addition to gaming.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By harrisonave
@LiquidSwords said:
" It made it possible to hear hundreds of gamers whine like little babies when they can't get their way. "
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Diamond

Achievements, the start of the fall of graphics, the rise of indie games (or smaller budget games) on consoles, motion controllers

maybe also the strong shift away from PC games development and the weakening of the Japanese games market

lots of online coop games

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By LegalBagel

Internet connectivity and Steam/XBLA-type marketplaces.  Microsoft didn't even anticipate XBLA's success, but its evolved in a few short years from a repository for Uno and arcade remakes to a full-fledged area for small development teams to produce amazing games without spending millions upon millions to make them. 

Motion controls, achievement and other game community features, and ubiquitous easy online play are all contenders, but I don't think they are as much of a leap over what existed before or are as important.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By guiseppe

Online gaming (done well), high definition, systems like XBLA and Achievements.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@MattyFTM said:
" With people speculating about the future of gaming being purely digital downloads, it seems clear that the popularization of download games is a very significant thing to happen this generation. Sure, the original Xbox had some downloadable games, but it's this generation where they've really taken off, and it's a very significant addition to gaming. "
I'm pretty sure VALVe did that with Steam and the launch of Half Life 2 long before XBOX Live and its piddlingly small contribution.  It was a launch marred with technical hiccups but it ushered in the downloadable gaming era with great panache.  At the time Half Life 2's sales exceeded that of the much more strongly (and expensively) marketed Halo 2.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Downloadable content as a release model, both as add-ons and pure releases.

Secondly, I believe that the idea of the carry-over save is going to become de rigeur for many games, even those you wouldn't expect.  Bad Company 2 has unlocks for players who registered previous Battlefield games through EA.  You will see more of that, but as a carry-over of your console's profile data and achievement unlocks.

What did Mass Effect 2 really do that was astounding?  The writing was as sharp as the former, the graphics and cinematic style are great but not revolutionary, and the shooting and level-up progression was as rewarding as any TPS or RPG... what it did was use the carry-over save to establish a universe.  The universe, and how Shepard affects it, feels more real in Mass Effect than possibly any other game because of the idea of permanence.  Every simple e-mail or 90 second conversation from characters you previously interacted with expands that fiction and gives the player a defining sense of verisimilitude.  I'd look for that feature to be a cornerstone in future development.

And as a business model... the company has to love it.  More people played Mass Effect 2 than the original.  Can you see any of the ME2 fans not purchasing ME3 to see how their decisions have changed things?  The carry-over brings a level of hook beyond gameplay.  Hell, that terrible iPhone game probably got plays, just because people wanted to carry that data into ME2.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch13696

That we have less freedom than what we had back then. 

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have to say the move towards digital distribution as well as solid online play.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jack268
@Fullmetal216 said:
" Online gaming. Sure, Xbox Live was successful, and the PS2 had online capabilities, but that stuff is no where near as successful and huge as online gaming is today. With online multiplayer, downloading games instead of buying discs, and smaller indie games having a higher chance of being noticed, online gaming has done some big things for this industry, arguably more so than anything else.  "
@zudthespud said:
" Achievements stick out to me. "
this and HD
Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By Raven10

Digital downloads seem like the thing people will remember most. Most people think that downloading all games is the future and we can really thank this generation for that. Yes Steam really kick started it last generation, but that service didn't really become super popular until this generation. Remember that the NPD said recently that more games are downloaded for PC than bought at retail. I expect that to become true of consoles as well.

Also the rise of indie gaming is hopefully going to be remembered fondly. Some of this generation's best games cost under $15 and were no more technically advanced than a PS1 game.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Undeadpool
@MattyFTM said:
" With people speculating about the future of gaming being purely digital downloads, it seems clear that the popularization of download games is a very significant thing to happen this generation. Sure, the original Xbox had some downloadable games, but it's this generation where they've really taken off, and it's a very significant addition to gaming. "
This. Digital videogames is FUCKING CRAZY and it's great for someone like me who can't play Baldur's Gate 2 or Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines anymore because I lost one of the four or five discs they came on.
MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrRedwine

Digital distribution of games is definitely the biggest change.

Being able to buy a fun experience from the comfort of my couch has spoiled me to the point that I have pretty much stopped buying boxed releases.  I wish I could get new games digitally.  Why do I have to go to a store to buy Fable III at release?  Put it out digitally right away so that I don't have to have that disc laying around when I complete it just in case some day I want to go back and play again.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#30  Edited By EpicSteve

Downloadable content. Think about how important downloadable games and extending the life of retail games are. Last generation, that stuff didn't even exist.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FunExplosions

Sluttier girls and hotter sex. 

Oh, and Poke-Walkers.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#32  Edited By TobyD81

Full downloadable games on a console.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

Digital downloads.  Like it or not, it is the way of the future.  I read recently that for the first time ever, direct digital sales of PC games in the US outsold retail boxed sales.  I expect more of this to come as future consoles are designed to hold an entire library of new digitally delivered games.  

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kouerson

Waggle and Achievements.  

That's about it.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By FreakAche

Achievements, digital distribution, and the subsequent relegation of non-shooters to said digital distribution.

As for which specific games I think will come to define this era, I would say:
Call of Duty 4, Wii Sports, Mass Effect, Portal, Gears of War, and Uncharted

Puck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Puck

As far as single player game mechanics go, this generation has done little to nothing.   I could pick out single games from last generation that did more, individually than everything this generation has offered so far -- Halo (recharging shields, its revolutionary aiming mechanic, etc) or GTA3 (open world).

I think online gaming was mainstreamed this time around, and in the process you see innovation here -- achievements, online carrots (Halo ranks, prestige levels, etc), 

Custom controllers are an innovation - guitars, drums, DJ sets, skateboards.    It remains to be seen if these items or even the Wii (and Move/Kinect) will be looked back on as marketing fads or a real niche.    I don't see the innovation on games with any of these to make them a niche that gamers or non-gamers are going to come back to, in the same numbers.   Still, it's very likely these features will be built into all consoles next round, so it's probably here to stay in some manner.    You can still buy hula-hoops and pet rocks long after their 15 minutes.

Digital distribution has arrived - but will be mainstream next round.  That's going to change things.....what does Gamestop do?  Netflix/Gamefly?  No more middle men.  The used market is gone too.   The industry is going to have to find the right price hurdles, in order to wring out every penny (to bring in people who just won't pay $60 a copy).   (eg....Hurdles as in a matinee price at theaters....Theaters have lower rates for 3PM showings - since that's an audience (retirees) who aren't going to pay full ticket, ever, but a time (hurdle) that no working person can meet, so they pay what they will -> top dollar).

I think the rebirth of indie development this round might be the start of something bigger next time.     Microsoft knows how to make dev tools and Sony has (hopefully) learned its lesson.   The power of the systems is going to be pushed up to higher level languages, and I think we are approaching an era where it will take more directing/movie making skills rather then techno-(John Carmack)-style wizardry.   The art will surpass the technology, and that's good.   The Cecille B DeMille era is over.   Good for game players, bad for game corporates.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By MysteriousBob

Motion controls. 
Just kidding. 

I agree that every console having its own (extensive) operating system is a big deal. 
Also the integration of online, as started with the last gen XBox Live. DLC and achievements are also excellent contributions (although I must admit that some DLC handling can be pretty sleazy). 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By iam3green

i would say DLC and online play. i played ps2 and it had online but not like ps3 and xbox 360. ps2 you could only see who was online by playing that game online. the games that could be played online you would have a bunch of different friends list. 

ps3 and xbox 360 you have one friends list. it tells you what they are playing or when they were last online. 

DLC made companies get more money. some of the DLC is great while others are just milkage to get money. online has also made patching just like PC gaming. it's great for it to happen but developers don't always patch great things. modern warfare 2 is a big hit and there are still a lot of  bugs and balancing issues that could still be patched but they aren't since black ops is coming out.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Downloadable games are a huge paradigm shift; fifteen or twenty years from now it will probably be unthinkable to that generation of gamers that we bought games on discs in a brick and mortar or had them shipped to us through snail mail.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BraveToaster
@RoujinX said:
" Full frontal nudity. "
Now this is a response that I can fap to!
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By fjordson

Xbox LIVE and Steam.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By CharleyTony

I would say online multiplayer, downloadable games and DLC  

and  
every system now has wireless controllers by default
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Probally just HD

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By SpudBug

Near universally solid mechanics/controls/programming.

Almost every other generation if you randomly pick out a game to play you're going to find some antiquated, broken, or just plain awful camera, collision detection, control problem, framerate, or whatever. That basic shit seems to have finally been nailed down to where it should just be expected to be solid, and we can finally start appreciating or criticizing a game on it's individual merits.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45  Edited By Geno

- Indie game renaissance (or birth depending on how you look at it)
- Motion controls 
- Digital distribution (Steam, XBLA, PSN, Wiiware, App Store, just to name a few) 

3D is out and about but it probably won't reach its full potential until next gen. There just isn't enough processing power yet, and most 3D displays are expensive and still require inconvenient glasses. 

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Motion controls.

Digital Distribution.

"High Def" graphics.

Other than that, nothing. Anyone who suggests otherwise is just nit-picking.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mono_Listo

What did this generation bring to the table?

Ubiquitous on-line gaming for consoles and rapid access to content without having to visit a brick-and-mortar store.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By krazy_kyle

Left 4 Dead
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By one_2nd

High definition and maybe this motion shit (if it's successful). 

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Djeffers03

DLC (Kinda).