• 53 results
nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

I've listening to bombcast and every time Ryan or Jeff says "it feels too gamey" or "is just feel mad gamey," I have no idea what that meant. 

How does a game feel "gamey"? 

Isn't every game "gamey"? 

What do you guys think? 

Do you guys know what it means? 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By dbz1995

Just doesn't captivate you enough to make you feel about what you are actually doing. Immersive?

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheGremp

It's when a certain game mechanic is so unrealistic and janky that you are 100% aware that you're playing a video game... The antithesis of immersion.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

It is a very subjective term, yes. Basically, it means that it relies a lot of typical gaming conventions and doesn't immerse you in the world as it should. For instance, like Ryan said in his Saboteur review, if stealth missions rely on standing in exact, pinpoint spots and waiting for a guard on a predetermined path to be out of the way, lacking any organic feeling to it, that qualifies as being "gamey." As an extension to the stealth part, if an enemy sees you and goes after you but then goes back to his regular route because an in-game timer expired, that is also "gamey." So "gamey" means a lot of things: reliance on cliches, poor AI, bad level design, etc.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By sjschmidt93

John Davidson uses that word too much.

But anyway it feels and looks like a game. Like the new SC would be really "gamey" since it has your objectives on walls.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By webby

Prototype = your run around the corner enemies can't see you, you change into a military uniform now they don't know its you even though your still running up buildings.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Game-over screens
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Brunchies

Games that aren't that immersive and make you feel like you are just playing a game is what gamey means.

Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Aljosa15

When there's no suspension of disbelief.

fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fallen_elite

combos, unrealistic qualities, etc@Abyssfull said:

" Game-over screens "
This is a good example, also combos and unrealistic ai behavior also a examples of a "gamey" game. Something like Gran Turismo is not gamey, because it is a very realistic, polished game. At least that's how I interpret it.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

I got a really good example from just last night, when finishing up Assassin's Creed 2.  Going to spoil it incase you haven't finished it.

It's more about when a game really feels like a game.  Taking multiple bullets to the face and surviving as a weaker example.

OK, AC2 spoilers : 

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nukesniper

Being to "gamey" can mean a lot of things, but basically it is the opposite of immersive. Every game is "gamey" in some way, and some are much more gamey than others. Some examples to these are as follows. 

Fallout 3: Sometimes you will run into three characters in a row that say the exact same thing or have the same voice actor. This can interfere with your perception of the game as possible in real life. (I love Fallout, just that the game has so much voice in it, I can see it as impossible to avoid this to some degree.) 

In the Saboteur: The gameplay elements are not hidden at all. You can see a ring on the map, and that is what dictates a soldiers awareness to you. This tells the player "Hey, this is how the GAME you are playing works" A way to counter this is to have the systems in place, but make them a lot more definite. Make the player think "I hope they didn't see me. Shoot, do they know where I am?" The unknown here generates a more real experience, as people in real life won't stand there and repeatedly say what they think out loud. 

All games have some qualities that make it seem like a game, but the less it seems like a game, the more immersive it is. Movies do the same thing. Movies want you to think you are experiencing a story, not watching a movie. They want you to care about what is happening, and maybe even feel like you can effect it. 

Long post, but I wanted to give you some concrete explanation to the situation.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Pretty much everything in Batman: Arkham Asylum.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By JB16

It's when a game feels more arcadey rather than realistic. For example alot of people see regenerating health as a "Gamey" aspect in video games. If a simulation like Arma 2 had  regenrating health, or a cover system. Then it would feel more gamey rather than realistic.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cstrang

A game feels gamey when you are overtly aware that there a game mechanics at work.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

When the underlying game mechanics are so transparent that you feel like you're playing the mechanics themselves, rather than what they're actually trying to represent.

Majestic_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Majestic_XII

Feeding you with too much abstract information about the undelaying game mechanics that you don't really need to know about, or could be integrated into the game world to better effect.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

If a game feels "gamey" then it does little to integrate its own mechanics smoothly into the game in a way which doesn't break the realism. A "gamey" game is liable to leave the player disillusioned and give them a strong message that they are not experiencing anything real.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilTwin
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" John Davidson uses that word too much.  But anyway it feels and looks like a game. Like the new SC would be really "gamey" since it has your objectives on walls. "
John Davison.  And I doubt many people would call that gamey.  From what I've heard, most people think it's a very interesting stylistic choice.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By sjschmidt93
@EvilTwin said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:
" John Davidson uses that word too much.  But anyway it feels and looks like a game. Like the new SC would be really "gamey" since it has your objectives on walls. "
John Davison.  And I doubt many people would call that gamey.  From what I've heard, most people think it's a very interesting stylistic choice. "
Whatever.  

And because it's an interesting stylistic choice it's not gamey?
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By DevWil

i don't think "gamey" is necessarily a bad thing. 

it's just a way to describe a game that is very much rooted in what is recognizable as a video game. 

sometimes it can be a bad thing, like if there's a time limit to meet a certain objective that doesn't really have its urgency explained well by the fiction of the game. 

sometimes it can be a good thing, like if a game is doing something that--if too realistic--wouldn't be fun at all. 

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wickedsc3

I would say it is just the overall fact that you realize the whole time u are playing a game.  Bad controls is the best example, where u actully get pulled out of the gameplay because u get mad that the controls are not doing what they should be.  Or like it is over complicated where u have to worry about bars, doohickies, meters, ect.  Like everyone has said the game dosent pull u in.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EvilTwin
@SJSchmidt93 said:
"Whatever.   And because it's an interesting stylistic choice it's not gamey? "
Well, it's a slippery slope.  Yes it's kind of gamey, but most games would just settle for using a UI that only you can see and your character has no awareness of.  That's pretty gamey too, isn't it?  So yes, you could describe it as gamey, but since it carries a negative connotation, the word seems to generally be reserved for things that really negatively impact your enjoyment of the game.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fuzzyponken
@Jimbo said:
" When the underlying game mechanics are so transparent that you feel like you're playing the mechanics themselves, rather than what they're actually trying to represent. "
There it is. 
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust
@Jimbo said:
" When the underlying game mechanics are so transparent that you feel like you're playing the mechanics themselves, rather than what they're actually trying to represent. "
Wow, that is an excellent definition.  Whenever a game loses its flow and reverts to a battle between the player and the control scheme, I think it becomes "gamey".  During Mass Effect, almost all of the rover missions felt that way for me.  The machine was always so floaty and unresponsive that I detested those parts of the game.  But, I made it through them by using small tricks to survive.  I changed my game play to suit the janky controls to finish the missions and move on to the good parts.   I was very aware of playing because nothing felt natural during those quests.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jmrwacko

A game may feel too "gamey" if its underlying game mechanics are in broad daylight, destroying any sense of immersion you may have in a game. And I think you're referencing their review of the Saboteur, right?

@DevWil said:

" i don't think "gamey" is necessarily a bad thing.  it's just a way to describe a game that is very much rooted in what is recognizable as a video game.  sometimes it can be a bad thing, like if there's a time limit to meet a certain objective that doesn't really have its urgency explained well by the fiction of the game.  sometimes it can be a good thing, like if a game is doing something that--if too realistic--wouldn't be fun at all.  "

Well sometimes a game may go for the "gamey" feel, if it's trying to be an arcade experience. Borderlands is a great example of a game that incorporates "gameyness" into its presentation. Other games, like Half Life or Call of Duty (singleplayer) go for a more immersive experience, and feel more like interactive Hollywood movies than something you'd pitch a quarter into at the local bar. A game's "gameyness" may come back to haunt it if it tries to be immersive but then has all these game systems that have you staring at a UI or toolbar instead of being sucked into the gaming experience. Like playing a healer in MMOs :-/
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CowMuffins
@SJSchmidt93: What. I disagree. "Gamey" means that you play it like a linear game. Go from point a to b to c and finish. You have to do everything the game wants you to in a specific order. Something like Assassins Creed, or even Rainbow Six offers more freedom to where you go and how you do things.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fuzzyponken
@CowMuffins: You're wrong. That's not what it means. 
DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By DavidSnakes

The opposite of immersion.  Very naked game mechanics.  Call of Duty for example is extremely gamey with the unlimited respawning enemies.  Stealth games are oftentimes very gamey, relying on obvious guard patterns and silly "lines of sight" a la MGS.

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By MeetThePyro

A game is gamey when mechanics get in the way of the experience and make lose your fantasy that its real.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hockeymask27

Its what everyone in this thread as said. I would just like to point out I do not think it necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes I enjoy a good arcady game with with ridiculous effects and scores and multipliers flashing all over the place kind of like 50 cent BOTS and the Club.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CowMuffins
@fuzzyponken: Ok Ryan, thanks for telling me.
Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kinarion

To have an exposed meta-game.  That is, to make obvious the game's underlying mechanics.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Slippy
@Gamer_152 said:
"

If a game feels "gamey" then it does little to integrate its own mechanics smoothly into the game in a way which doesn't break the realism. A "gamey" game is liable to leave the player disillusioned and give them a strong message that they are not experiencing anything real.

"

Sometimes that can be the point though. See: Metal Gear Solid. 

I NEED SCISSORS! 61!
Alphonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Alphonzo

It was my biggest complaint with Arkham Asylum.  The boos fights, which are supposed to be the coolest parts, were totally gamey in that there was a very clear system at work behind the scenes (dodge the 3-hit attack pattern, hit him a bunch of times, wait for the next pattern).  The rest of the game's combat was a much more dynamic, free-flowing type of thing, and then when a boss appears, it suddenly becomes a straight-up video game again.  It really takes you out of the experience.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Uses aged and predictable game mechanics without any innovation.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShaunassNZ

The game isn't seamless and not showing a type of world but rather putting you in a game and your playing a game instead of using your senses. Take The Saboteur for example the GB crew said it was too gamey having the fact of you were just looking at lines and circles throughout the game instead of looking at someones face and seeing they're not happy.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Akeldama
@MeetThePyro said:
" A game is gamey when mechanics get in the way of the experience and make lose your fantasy that its real. "
Drops the immersion 
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By demontium

Unbalanced. 

So much like a digital entertainment it becomes stupid.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShaunassNZ
@Alphonzo said:
" It was my biggest complaint with Arkham Asylum.  The boos fights, which are supposed to be the coolest parts, were totally gamey in that there was a very clear system at work behind the scenes (dodge the 3-hit attack pattern, hit him a bunch of times, wait for the next pattern).  The rest of the game's combat was a much more dynamic, free-flowing type of thing, and then when a boss appears, it suddenly becomes a straight-up video game again.  It really takes you out of the experience. "
Hmm that gets to me when you work out game mechs I've never liked that.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jimbo

Sometimes it's a necessary evil (imagine playing Commandos without the guard 'vision cones' for example), but if a game becomes 'too gamey', it usually suggests that the gameplay itself hasn't been very well thought out or that the developer should have found a more elegant solution/s.

Generally the solution is to give you environment cues rather than HUD systems.  For example, having a guard in AC (or whatever) say "Huh?  I thought I heard something! ...  Oh well, I guess not!", when you stray too close, is an attempt at maintaining immersion without sacrificing gameplay, and without the need for another HUD system.  Unfortunately this can still be considered 'gamey' to some extent, because your mind (even if your disbelief is suspended) will instinctively reject the idea that guards are that stupid and all say the same thing, and you will be taken out of the game and see it for what it is - the game warning you that you're about to trigger the guard's attack routine.  It's a step up from a vision cone, but it still isn't great.  Game development is still in it's infancy though and these things will be figured out in time.

It's fine for a game to be mechanical so long as it's dovetailed in with the setting - it's when it's jarring enough to pull you out of the world they're trying to create that it becomes a problem.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Bennyishere

Things that show that it's a game and not real life. Like yellow circles on a radar that shows how close you can be to Nazis.

I don't think this is that bad though. I often like the gamey aspects of thing, like collecting stuff and doing tedious things for achievements.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gunswordfist
@RHCPfan24 said:

"It is a very subjective term, yes. Basically, it means that it relies a lot of typical gaming conventions and doesn't immerse you in the world as it should. For instance, like Ryan said in his Saboteur review, if stealth missions rely on standing in exact, pinpoint spots and waiting for a guard on a predetermined path to be out of the way, lacking any organic feeling to it, that qualifies as being "gamey." As an extension to the stealth part, if an enemy sees you and goes after you but then goes back to his regular route because an in-game timer expired, that is also "gamey." So "gamey" means a lot of things: reliance on cliches, poor AI, bad level design, etc. "

God, I hate it when guards see you and say "what was that?" (or even worse, get beat up by you) and just go straight back to their fixed patrol route a few seconds later. Guards need to be relentless.    
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Daryl

It means they need to remember what a game is. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

Everyone's answer is wrong. Gamey is a convention outside of the context of the story. It doesn't "get in the way" because normal people play games for the gameplay. Like Dead Rising. You have points and a timer, and obviously these are game conventions and it makes no sense in the context of the story, but it makes the game more fun to play. The only "gamey" convention that gets in the way are those retarded QTEs. "Hey look, you solved a preschool level puzzle and it made your dude rip some other dude's head off!" Yeah, stupid shit for simpletons. Normally, though, its just a game convention that sticks out from the context of the game's story in order to make the game work more as a game.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gunswordfist
@Jimbo said:
"Sometimes it's a necessary evil (imagine playing Commandos without the guard 'vision cones' for example), but if a game becomes 'too gamey', it usually suggests that the gameplay itself hasn't been very well thought out or that the developer should have found a more elegant solution/s.

Generally the solution is to give you environment cues rather than HUD systems.  For example, having a guard in AC (or whatever) say "Huh?  I thought I heard something! ...  Oh well, I guess not!", when you stray too close, is an attempt at maintaining immersion without sacrificing gameplay, and without the need for another HUD system.  Unfortunately this can still be considered 'gamey' to some extent, because your mind (even if your disbelief is suspended) will instinctively reject the idea that guards are that stupid and all say the same thing, and you will be taken out of the game and see it for what it is - the game warning you that you're about to trigger the guard's attack routine.  It's a step up from a vision cone, but it still isn't great.  Game development is still in it's infancy though and these things will be figured out in time.  It's fine for a game to be mechanical so long as it's dovetailed in with the setting - it's when it's jarring enough to pull you out of the world they're trying to create that it becomes a problem. "
I'm surprised developers just simply have the guards look back or investigate a little bit instead of having them blurt out "Is someone there!". Some of these "gamey" problems shouldn't be that hard to solve.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

Solve implies these are problems in need of a solution. If you want to play a realistic game, play Rainbow Six Vegas in real mode and die in a single shot. You don't want realism, you love game conventions. You love regenerating health and all that bullshit.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gunswordfist
@ryanwho said:
"Solve implies these are problems in need of a solution. If you want to play a realistic game, play Rainbow Six Vegas in real mode and die in a single shot. You don't want realism, you love game conventions. You love regenerating health and all that bullshit. "

Well all I'm just saying is guards blurting stuff out is stupid. What I'm not saying is all games should play exactly like RB6/
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryanwho
@gunswordfist said:
" @ryanwho said:
"Solve implies these are problems in need of a solution. If you want to play a realistic game, play Rainbow Six Vegas in real mode and die in a single shot. You don't want realism, you love game conventions. You love regenerating health and all that bullshit. "
Well all I'm just saying is guards blurting stuff out is stupid. What I'm not saying is all games should play exactly like RB6/ "
Thing is there's no objective scale on what takes it too far, what intrudes into the flow of the game to make it too "gamey". I personally find the idea of hiding behind a wall and magically regaining health ridiculous if I'm playing any kind of character claiming to be human and mortal. The line is different from person to person. Without a lot of the gamey traditions in stealth games, a lot of people wouldn't be able to get past those parts which would be even more annoying.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thecleric

Zero immersion, it 's not exactly bad or anything though. 

Like I'd say GTA 4 doesn't feel gamey, but Saints Row 2 or Mercs 2 does. Lots of menus and whatnot, not a bad thing mind you.