#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4689 posts) -

Guys remember when there used to be no online multiplayer? I guess it's safe to say that online mulitplayer has fucking EXPLODED this generation whether you think that is good or not. Anyway, I'm just curious about what the first game you guys ever played across the World Wide Web (WWW for short). I remember playing Aliens vs. Predator 2. I played mostly as the Alien just jumping at anything that moved. It blew my mind that these were actual people controlling the other players and hey for once nobody actually knew when I was about to snipe them. So what is the first game you ever played online?

#2 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

The original Quake over a 56k dial up. I remember jumping through all sorts of hoops just so a friend of mine and I could shoot rockets at eachother whilst sitting in rooms 30km away.

#3 Posted by N7 (3587 posts) -

Probably Tony Hawks Underground. That game was pretty fun to play online. We kept doing that glitch in Russia where we could bounce really high.

#4 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Call of Duty 2. It was pretty interesting, but I was sad to see my LAN parties disappear with the advent of online being a requirement for multiplayer.

#5 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I played the first Call of Duty online at a neighbors house a few times, but the first game I put a considerable amount of time into the online was Battlefield 1942.

#6 Posted by BisonHero (6453 posts) -

OG Starcraft. I was super bad at it, and mostly played it with my friends.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19331 posts) -

Internet Checkers on Windows XP. Blew my mind.

#8 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Counterstrike. Which I also played earlier tonight.

#9 Posted by awesomeusername (4175 posts) -

Call of Duty 4. The greatest multiplayer game ever imo.

#10 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

Some flash game on Lego.com way back in the day. It was pretty much Connect 4, but with Lego bricks.

#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Diablo 2?

#12 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Mechassult with Xbox Live.

#13 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@awesomeusername said:

*GLARE* Real guns. Live ammo. In a paintball field. Now.

#14 Posted by Buttenator (188 posts) -

Quake.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

First game EVER was the original Tribes. First console game ever was Resident Evil Outbreak. I bought the fucking adapter for my PS2 just to play that awful shit. God... what was I thinking?

#16 Posted by Redbullet685 (6036 posts) -

Had to have been Call of Duty on PC. God did I fucking love that game.

#17 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Not sure; probably Battlefield 1942.

#18 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

World of Warcraft. Suffice it to say it blew my young mind.

#19 Posted by SSully (4169 posts) -

Delta Force. It was the first game I played consistently online, and it blew my mind the first time I got it running.

#20 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7079 posts) -

I'm not going to include PC gaming so the first game I played online was the fucking amazing online co op for Crackdown.

#21 Posted by Polydeukes (98 posts) -

Descent 2! On the Kali service, I think.

#22 Posted by ESREVER (2684 posts) -

Counter-Strike 1.5

#23 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

@SSully said:

Delta Force. It was the first game I played consistently online, and it blew my mind the first time I got it running.

Did you ever play Delta Force 2? I spent so much time playing that online it was ridiculous. The experience of hiking several kilometers over snowy mountains with a Barrett Sniper Rifle behind enemy lines and getting a bead on their spawn point for long range camping shenanigans is something I'll probably never experience again.

#24 Posted by Patman99 (1580 posts) -

I remember going to my friend's house when the original Team Fortress was released. He was the only one of our group that had an internet connection and a decent computer. we played the shit out of that game. Yeah, being like 6 year olds, we were all terrible but it was still fun as hell. Interestingly, that was the only game I played online until I got my own internet connection in 2003. I dont really remember the first game I played on my own but I know that Halo 2 (which released in 2004) was my first real online experience.

#25 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1115 posts) -

Halo 3. Private matches, not with randomers.

#26 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Everquest first game i ever played online also my first mmo. Blew me away also made me hate people on the internet.

#27 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2296 posts) -

Probably either Doom 2 or Age of Empires. Or even Outlaws. I really don't know which I played first online because I played a ton of multiplayer games but mostly on N64 and Playstation.

#28 Posted by MCXCI (140 posts) -

I got into online gaming pretty late. The first game I played online was Star Fox Command for DS. The one that really got me into it would probably be Halo 3. That was the first game I ever played on a console where the online component was an essential element.

#29 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

I have to say it was either StarCraft or Half-Life. I was absolutely terrible at both.

#30 Posted by PolyesterKyle (137 posts) -
#31 Posted by Qlanth (127 posts) -

Wulfram II

It was a great game for what it was. I honestly miss it from time to time.

#32 Posted by Ragemachine (40 posts) -

Starcraft, mostly used map settings maps so many random awesome maps that were coming out in that scene; it was actually my first experience with "programming" using the Starcraft map editor. I remember spending a lot of time with "triggers" and creating my own unique systems, I was pretty proud of it at the time.

I also played a lot of AoS, which became DoTA in W3 which I also played a lot of and I still play a lot of today (LoL anyway).

#33 Posted by awesomeusername (4175 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@nintendoeats said:

@awesomeusername said:

I will no scope the pants off of you man! You don't want to do this!

#34 Posted by NTM (7344 posts) -

Uhhhh. Maybe Call of Duty on PC?

#35 Posted by Progman9000 (258 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

First game EVER was the original Tribes.

As long as we're not including dumb flash games or chat lobbies that you could play checkers in, mine was also Tribes. Although it could have been AoE2... Both of those are in the same era for me with the MSN Gaming Zone and all that ridiculous stuff. For console it was PSO on Gamecube. Looking back, that was a really terrible idea.

#36 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@nintendoeats said:

@nintendoeats said:

@awesomeusername said:

No you won't, because I'll be aggressively WAITING QUIETLY BEHIND A CORNER.

#37 Edited by Dawglet (312 posts) -

I'm not too sure, probably god damn Runescape or something equally dumb.

#38 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Probably Starcraft.

#39 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

I think counterstrike. That or warcraft 3 but I think counterstrike.

#40 Posted by FatCat1276 (3 posts) -

Doom played over DWANGO, although I don't know if that counts. Or Quake.

#41 Posted by awesomeusername (4175 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

@awesomeusername said:

@nintendoeats said:

@nintendoeats said:

@awesomeusername said:

You... Mother... Fudging... CAMPING WHORE!!!

#42 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

An MMO by the name of Tibia. A terrible game by most people's standards, but I was mind-blown by it at the time and still have a lot of nostalgia for it today. Oh, and just because I'm an asshole: The internet and the world wide web are not the same thing. ;)

#43 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Some mech type game. Reallly can't remember. It was a demo from PC Gamer. It was pretty rare back then, so I wasn't sure if I was playing with bots or people until chat started up

#44 Posted by smitty86 (698 posts) -

My only internet access growing up was from the library across the street so my first online gaming experience came in college with Resistance. Also, the following years of having me and my 3 friends/roommates playing COD 4 was some of the most fun times I have ever had in gaming. Right up there with playing Super Mario 64 on Christmas morning. *sigh*

#45 Posted by mikeeegeee (1554 posts) -

Some variant of Mech Warrior that ran through AOL. You could buy an hour of playtime for like ten bucks.

And then it gets harder to order. Starsiege Tribes demo... Team Fortress.. Counter Strike... Halo 1 with Gamespy Arcade hack.

#46 Posted by Beer (53 posts) -

I used to play Quake over a LAN at school, which was mind blowing to me, but my first real venture out into the wild world of online gaming was with Diablo. Good times man.

#47 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i think it was either battlefield 2 or tony hawks underground 2. i had fun times playing tony hawk underground 2 online, so many glitches to the game. some level with a fountain you could jump off it making you go flying into the air. you could continue to do a grab while on the ground.

#48 Posted by RecSpec (3806 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, aka MGO1. I have more memories from that than I do high school.

#49 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@nintendoeats said:

@awesomeusername said:

@nintendoeats said:

@nintendoeats said:

@awesomeusername said:

You... Mother... Fudging... CAMPING WHORE!!!

Valid strategy is valid.

#50 Posted by pyromagnestir (4302 posts) -

Starcraft. I think one month the internet number I unknowingly wasted like 250 dollars somehow using the internet to play starcraft.