What would a new endurance run even be?

• 57 results
JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I just finished watching the Deadly Premonition ER's, and really enjoyed it. Now, obviously this is purely hypothetic, and the GB crew have expressed their dislike for the process on multiple occasions, but even if they did decide to do one, what game do you think would be compatible with the format?

Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition were both great because of the humorous (or absurd in DP's case) nature of their stories, which is why I think Chrono Trigger was a bit of a dud (only a bit, though). I've been thinking about possible candidates for a little while, but I can't really come up with anything. Maybe it's a game not yet made, or maybe you guys have a better idea?

Scottish_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Scottish_Sin

I've always thought that a Dark Souls ER would be pretty entertaining, maybe with @rorie and @vinny

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jgf

Diablo 3 Inferno *hehehe* *MUHAHAHA*

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RazielCuts

First Rule of Giant Bomb: We don't talk about Endurance Runs.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None now that you have asked.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm kind of hoping that if one ever happens it'll be for another game with a murder mystery at its center since that worked out extremely well with Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition. Definitely think it needs to be something with voice acting and a tonne of quirk. It's tough, though, because another element of those first two Endurance Runs was probably that the guys didn't really have much idea what they were in for with Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition.

Here's hoping when the time is right something awesome will speak to them and it'll be amazing.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did the chrono trigger one first enjoyed it. Played DP on my own and watched the ER of it to the point I am at.

I am now on ep 117 of persona 4. Which going backwards I have found that Persona 4 was the best and DP only scrapes by with the absurbed nature of the game.

Why i have decided this on the matter of the Endurance run.

YOU CANNOT FORCE THE ENDURANCE RUN! THERE MIGHT NOT EVEN BE A GAME WORTHY OF AN ENDURANCE RUN EVER AGAIN!

Persona 4 was the high point you cant just try again. Its done. Endurance run is over.

That is my opinion befor CBS it stil holds true however the TIME!

Due to the nature of CBSI and gamespot being a company. Those dudes are getting stuck in all manner of meetings and getting time sucked out of them through paper work to do stuff they would do on spurr of the moment with Whiskey media.

throwing 2 guys into a room each morning for what? 150 days? Thats half a year!

even 27 days is alot in thet time is money buisness.

There is no endurance run its done.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

At one of the panels, I want to say PAX last year, Jeff commented that he found himself asking Vinny, "Yakuza?" This was in the context of a question about Endurance Running. But still, like the above poster said, if they were to do another one, they'd have to REALLY want to do it. The move to CBS has to be taking up a lot of their time.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Winternet

I'm still waiting for the P4:ER Bluray Box Set with special commentary about the commentary.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By probablytuna

Damn it, now you made me want to watch Deadly Premonition ER again.

Pyrgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pyrgz

Purple Giant Bomb bumper

Dissolve fade to full bomb crew on the usual set. On the table is a towering stack of paper documents.

The documents are Endurance Run requests

They read through the requests one by one, then tear them up and/or eat them.

No breaks until one of them perishes of dysentery.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@akyho said:

YOU CANNOT FORCE THE ENDURANCE RUN! THERE MIGHT NOT EVEN BE A GAME WORTHY OF AN ENDURANCE RUN EVER AGAIN!

I'm pretty sure this is the crew's philosophy too. Persona 4 was a fluke and it ended up perfect. DP's hook was "dueling ER's" but I never even watched BR. I skipped CT completely because I'd already played it, and as much as I love Patrick it seemed against the point of ER for someone who'd already played the game to be sitting in.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cheesebob

I would love the next game to be Yakuza. But only if the GB guys feel that it would be a good idea.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4 was lightning in a bottle. I doubt they could re-produce the quality of that ER, even if they wanted to.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The next IEndurance run should only be Persona 5 beginning at release day. In all honestly the other endurance runs were pretty boring in my opinion.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgf said:

Diablo 3 Inferno *hehehe* *MUHAHAHA*

At this point that would probably be the shortest Endurance Run in the history of Endurance Runs.

ChosenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ChosenOne
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I would love the next game to be Yakuza. But only if the GB guys feel that it would be a good idea.

I think this is the best idea, they've even thought about it...

actually, now that I think about it, mars: war logs is probably the better idea. It's basically DP the RPG anyway.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I want a Catherine ER with Jeff on controls and Patrick commenting. THAT would be entertainment

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also holding out for the Phantasmagoria 2 RPCG/ER

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 3. Perfect endurance run game.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By flasaltine

All the Yakuza games or maybe just a few. Or Dark Souls.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a Catherine ER with Jeff on controls and Patrick commenting. THAT would be entertainment

only thing better would be a yoshi's island ER with Jeff and Patrick.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4. Why?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'd say Persona 3, but aren't I doing that? Plus Vinny has definitely played it before, so that might fuck up the format.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killacam said:

Yakuza 3. Perfect endurance run game.

Yakuza 3 misses like 50$ of the side content so better Yakuza 4 or even better yakuza 5. But again I do not think that this will be interesting. Persona 5 or nothing^^

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not expecting that if it ever happened that an Endurance Run would turn out as amazing as Persona 4, but that Deadly Premonition ER was pretty fantastic, I thought (particularly Vinny/Jeff) and I hope one day the stars will align and we'll get another of similar quality.

On the bright side, we semi-regularly get content similar to that of an Endurance Run thanks to shows like Random PC game (feels like it's been forever since the last, though, Rorie, Vinny and Drew should totally give it a go soon, schedule willing).

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball said:

I'm not expecting that if it ever happened that an Endurance Run would turn out as amazing as Persona 4, but that Deadly Premonition ER was pretty fantastic, I thought (particularly Vinny/Jeff) and I hope one day the stars will align and we'll get another of similar quality.

On the bright side, we semi-regularly get content similar to that of an Endurance Run thanks to shows like Random PC game (feels like it's been forever since the last, though, Rorie, Vinny and Drew should totally give it a go soon, schedule willing).

Yeah but sadly they do not play through these games even if they seem to have fun with it like with Blade Runner for example. I would love if they would dig deeper into all these FMV games from back then.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@meatball said:

Yeah but sadly they do not play through these games even if they seem to have fun with it like with Blade Runner for example. I would love if they would dig deeper into all these FMV games from back then.

I thought they had problems with saves for blade runner.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Darji

@animasta said:

@darji said:

@meatball said:

I thought they had problems with saves for blade runner.

Oh they did? NVM then did not hear about that... *sadface*

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By I_smell

Patrick plays Yoshi's Island with noise-cancelling headphones on.

Jeff commentates.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Brad playing Dota 2 for 150 straight hours. A true test of endurance.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about Earthbound with Jeff and Vinny?

stalefishies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By stalefishies

I still think Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden would make an incredible (and not insufferably long) Endurance Run, but it's not like any of these suggestions are ever going to mean anything.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@i_smell said:

Patrick plays Yoshi's Island with noise-cancelling headphones on.

Jeff commentates.

Yes please.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Eh, if they're going to do the whole "let's play a game and document it" thing then they should probably use another format. The Endurance Run isn't something that can be repeated.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ

There will be no new Endurance Run ever.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A (when it comes out) Fallout 4 Endurance Run would be pretty great!

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jgf
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By wrighteous86  Online

An Endurance Run where the staff is forced to watch the entire run of some fine CBS programming.

First up: Two and a Half Men Endurance Run!!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bigjeffrey

Geoff said that even the p4 endurance run was crazy. On his tumblr, "don't expect a ER anytime soon"

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MiniPato

@bigjeffrey said:

Geoff said that even the p4 endurance run was crazy. On his tumblr, "don't expect a ER anytime soon"

It has to be asked and maybe you've answered before, but why do you spell Jeff "Geoff?"

Also I doubt Yakuza games would be good ER content because it would be real short. The only reason those games last long is walking around looking for sidequests and we all saw how much side stuff they skipped in Deadly Premonition.

I think the direction they should take an ER is to play a game they would absolutely hate and see how long they can last. That would be more in the spirit of the name. Like, have Jeff play through Dark Souls or play through one quest a day in Monster Hunter until he either plays through every quest in the game or gives up. That would be a true test of endurance. Or have Ryan play through a horror game, I would pay money to have Ryan play through a horror game because we all know under that tough facade, he cracks under the pressure of horror.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Endurance Run is dead, long live a Bradley May Cry once every two months.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 4, i would watch it. It might be a bit cut scene heavy though.

TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked the idea of Shenmue.

Loading Video...

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nezza

I say Mother 2. That way those of us that have never played it, or own a Wii U (for when it is released on the estore), will have a clue what all the fuss is about.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By monetarydread

Unfortunately this site is always on the verge of being a failure (Daily Unique visitors hovers around 200,000 - 400,000) and the extra work of an endurance run seems like it would be too much for their current workload.

How about this for an idea, we should convince the Giantbomb crew to do a kickstarter for another endurance run. I am sure that is the only way that Giantbomb will ever do another ER. I would certainly throw in $20 for a Dark Souls Endurance Run.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#48  Edited By StarvingGamer

A longform video series where a pair of them play through a game from start to finish in daily segments.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By MariachiMacabre

An Endurance Run where the staff is forced to watch the entire run of some fine CBS programming.

First up: Two and a Half Men Endurance Run!!

There Were No Survivors.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What made the P4 ER work so well was that it was actually a really good game underneath all the quirky weirdness of it, so while it starts out as a bit of making fun, you also get the arc of the guys coming to care and think about the game. Whatever they do next (which I think the problem with DP is that, no, it's just really not a very good game), it needs to have that same special mixture that allows them to both laugh and love.