What's Most Important to You in a Console (Other Than Great Games)?

• 81 results
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MrKlorox
@Diamond said:

" @MrKlorox said:

@Diamond said:

" @RiotBananas:  You'd still never beat me in any of those, and there's no way Geo Wars would ever be easier without a gamepad. "

It could be easier with a thumbstick for movement and a mouse for aiming. The keyboard is only good for multiple digital inputs, but the mouse will nearly always aim more accurately than the thumbstick.  I use a controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right for quite a few PC (ports of console) games. Mirror's Edge is best this way. You just gotta make sure your mouse has enough thumb buttons to mimic the right half of the controller. I would play Alien Swarm this way, but the camera can't decide if it wants to support the gamepad or the mouse and ends up jumping all over.
The problem with mouse shooting in top down view games like Geo Wars or Alien Swarm is #1, your point of reference in directions is not static (which means to shoot to the right the point I need to move the mouse to the right of changes) and #2, the speed is much slower than aiming a thumbstick.  Just like a thumbstick for aiming in a FPS, mouse isn't as good for other kinds of movement. 

Alien Swarm has some other functions besides just aiming that would probably keep me from using only a gamepad in that game though. "
How is the speed slower with a mouse than with a thumbstick? That's more of a user reflex issue.

Only the follower stuff in Alien Swarm require additional inputs, which isn't a factor in multiplayer since they're directly controlled. Everything else maps perfectly to the controller with an included cfg (except push to talk and chat options, and the escape button, and some UI navigation options). In fact there are two controller cfgs, one for PC and one for 360. Both are almost identical, but it's obvious they're considering the game for 360.
PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By PhilESkyline

Price is important to me.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Diamond
@MrKlorox said:
How is the speed slower with a mouse than with a thumbstick? That's more of a user reflex issue.
It depends on your mouse sensitivity but to aim from up to back on a thumbstick takes a flick of the thumb, on a mouse it takes more physical movement.  Crank it up too high and it'll be inaccurate, just like a gamepad would be in a FPS if you made it too sensitive.  The point of reference (the central point where your character is shooting from), factors into that issue as well.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose A, B is a close second.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By jasta

Bad graphics I can deal with, bad controls I cant. It just breaks the game no matter how pretty it is.

As for the PC v Consoles argument, competitive console play never took off like PC's for a reason. The level of play is just on a whole other scale, I thought people had accepted that by now.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Godwind

I don't want my game console to be racist.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Karl_Boss

service and controls.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Rio

Other:

The consoles ability as a media device in general, such as content streaming or media playback. 

Example:  I enjoy the PS3's easy video, pictures, and music streaming along with it being a Blu Ray player.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#59  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It's certainly all about the games for me, but beyond that, I think it's a blend between ease of use and online services at this point.  I love the 360 Marketplace because it's easy to use, the fonts are large enough that I don't have trouble reading them (I have a HELL of a time on the PSN), and the design works for me.  I like the XMB because it looks elegant and has a ton of functionality in a very orderly fashion - it's just hard as hell to read.  I love Nintendo's main menu, as well as the easy-to-use shop. 

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By EVO

I don't care what games look and sound like as long as I don't have to sit up to use the controller. I'm looking at you Wii Remote.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61  Edited By one_2nd

Online service. It's what puts 360 over ps3 in my opinion. 

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Graphics/Power

Running better with more power to put more stuff in = Better gameplay
Also, I like pretty graphics. It attracts me to a game. And you too, don't deny it.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I would have to agree with Seppli. The gamepad has always been my preferred method of playing games. It's just so familiar and more comfortable to me than have to stretch my fingers in eight different directions across a keyboard. I will say though that RTS games I do prefer playing with keyboard and mouse. But like I said, with a gamepad, I can relax on my bed or couch and play a game on my PS3. Also, using WASD for movement sucks. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c86670f38adc
deactivated-5c86670f38adc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really mind the controls too much unless the ergonomics don't work for me or the button placement is stupid. I do like for the console to be powerful. I'm more of a PC person really, the mouse just feels so much more precise for me. I have tried console shooters, but didn't find one I was expecially good at.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#65  Edited By Seppli
@MooseyMcMan said:

" @Seppli: Controllers FTW!   By the way, I actually voted for graphics, because I believe controllers have advanced to the point where the designs are about as good as they're going to get, and that there probably won't be radical changes in the next generation of consoles.  "

Yeah - honestly, outside of the current generation of consoles, this is true for me too. Processing power is where it's at. Sadly - I can't just go out an buy a kickass PC and have fully optimized games taking full advantage of my superior hardware. Most games will be built with the lowest common denominator aka HD consoles (luckily not the effin Wii) in mind.  Even PC exclusive games mostly go for the broadest possible audience (even now, it's the about 3 year old 8800GT generation of graphics cards). It's what Blizzard does and they definitly know what they're doing. That said... c'mon guys - bring out the next generation of HD consoles next year! Pretty please!

While I agree that the graphical fidelity has about reached its peak for a long while in Games like Crysis and such (just think of Prophets and Psykos faces), I believe processing power will give us more interactive worlds full of wonderful procedural simulations.

• Water simulation
  • Cloth simulation
  • Structural Integrity simulation
  • Material simulation
  • Ragdoll simulation
  • Traction simulation
  • Inertia simulation
  • and so forth and so forth....

Games like Crysis or Battlefield  : Bad Company 2 are immensely interactive. With increasing processing power procedural simulation can replace canned interactions as seen in BF:BC 2. I also believe that procedural production is the key to the future of HD gaming. Middleware suited to quickly generate content on the fly. Like nice middleware for randomly generating great faces, flexible enough to do so for any project with any artstyle. The FACIAL engine! Or Face Job engine. Never again see the same NPC twice. Like speedtree for faces.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By No0b0rAmA
A copy of Windows and:
@Vitamin_Dei said:
" A mouse and keyboard. "
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By crusader8463

Mouse and Keyboard support. If game consoles offered keyboard and mouse support and made it mandatory for every game to support it just like their gamepad I would actually buy systems and want to play games on them. The only thing I hate about consoles, besides the ridiculous over priced games and mind boggling restrictions companies put on them, is needing to use a controller to play games. While there are a few games that are a tad more enjoyable with one anything that involves shooting or aiming is a god dam nightmare to play with a controller.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Seppli
@crusader8463 said:

" Mouse and Keyboard support. If game consoles offered keyboard and mouse support and made it mandatory for every game to support it just like their gamepad I would actually buy systems and want to play games on them. The only thing I hate about consoles, besides the ridiculous over priced games and mind boggling restrictions companies put on them, is needing to use a controller to play games. While there are a few games that are a tad more enjoyable with one anything that involves shooting or aiming is a god dam nightmare to play with a controller. "

I had a similar mindset many years ago. Since then I've spent thousands of hours playing FPS games on consoles. I can't go back to KB&M for the life of me. It just feels archaic. The lack of analog movement and rumble feedback and especially having to reset the mouse when turning/panning every so often just doesn't work for me at all anymore. Analog triggers are pretty neat too.

I'm a Battlefield player at heart, so when it comes to FPS games, that's the games I spend the most time on. Vehicles control so much better with a gamepad. While a good KB&M PC player might have a slight advantage over a good gamepad player in infantry situations - he will be at an undeniable disadvantage as soon as vehicle controls come into play. Switching devices on the fly ain't always a valid solution and is in and of itself a hinderance.

It may take a couple of hundred hours to get good at using a gamepad with FPS games, but once you master it, there's no real drawback and a whole lot of advantages. That said, right now only the PS3 Dualshock 3 gamepad has responsive enough analogsticks to rival the mouse in terms of speed and precision. I really hope that the 360 gamepad will catch up soon. Would be great for playing multiplats on my PC. Native 360 gamepad support in PC games is for the win. That's what the PC platform is good at. Giving me a choice. How much I invest into my gaming experience. How I want to play.

When it comes to competitive gaming though, I don't really like PC gaming. It's a too open platform resulting in too many cheaters. Vastly different hardware resulting in huge advantages for hardware enthusiasts.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Seppli

Oh - another good point for Processing Power is...

MORE FRAMES!

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I like good textures, I mean high rez textures. Not every console can provide that, however I like it because it's on the surface of polygons. When they are sharp and detailed, I think it really adds to the overall look rather than it being dull. They make multiplatform games looks sharp, I think in real life, everything looks sharp on the surface. Of course I voted graphics, i'm only talking about technical graphics.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#71  Edited By Jeust

Lower price. I don't to throw too much money at it.  

Yeah i'm cheap. :P

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BackseatBoss

For me it's the controls and since Xbox 360 controller is the most comfortable for me,most of the time I play with my Xbox 360.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#73  Edited By Jazz

That it doesn't break 
(fuck you MS twice over)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Seppli
@HitmanAgent47 said:

" I like good textures, I mean high rez textures. Not every console can provide that, however I like it because it's on the surface of polygons. When they are sharp and detailed, I think it really adds to the overall look rather than it being dull. They make multiplatform games looks sharp, I think in real life, everything looks sharp on the surface. Of course I voted graphics, i'm only talking about technical graphics. "

I never quite got the texture fetish. Or the AA and AF fetish. I'm more of a frames, viewing distance, drawing distance and interactivity guy. Oppossed to high fidelity textures, that stuff is actually gameplay relevant and also linked directly to processing power. Imagine an extremely high rez texture game, but you can't interact with anything. I'd take a wireframe-only game without textures over such a thing, if it offered perfect viewing distance and drawing distance at a solid 60 frames a second and everything in the gameworld is 100% interactive.

Putting high rez textures first is to me... kinda like an extremely hot chick, who happens to have died of a stroke. She's totally inanimate, sitting in a drawer at the morgue. She may be beautiful to look at, but she ain't no good to nobody anymore (except - you know, them necrophiliacs).
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Seppli: fetish? What are you talking about? Lol. High rez textures are something that's in most pc games all the time, you do play a game moving, unless i'm missing something. I'm not trying to insult the ps3, however at times I noticed for multiplatform games, the textures are sort of blurry, even in exclusives which has a dependence on art design with lower resolution textures, which really takes away from the experience for me.
PATERSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#76  Edited By PATERSON

Nothing I love more than playing a game while in an xbox live party with 7 of my friends. If the whole xbox live party didn't exist I would never play games.

XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By XxBarretxX

I said Graphics and Sound because a great atmosphere with good controls (Like Deadspace) can take a game farther with decent graphics and great controls (Bayonetta)

edit: I misread this...FUCK!

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By slyspider

not motion. fuck u nentendo! u started this fucked up shit!!!!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By c1337us

Reliability. I don't want my shit breaking all the time.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#80  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

I would have said graphical power about a generation ago, but because of online services becoming so large and vast I choose that. I want to play video games online so whatever has the best online service with the majority of my friends on it, after the best games, I will pick that console.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Seppli
@HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Seppli: fetish? What are you talking about? Lol. High rez textures are something that's in most pc games all the time, you do play a game moving, unless i'm missing something. I'm not trying to insult the ps3, however at times I noticed for multiplatform games, the textures are sort of blurry, even in exclusives which has a dependence on art design with lower resolution textures, which really takes away from the experience for me. "

I'm talking about people who can't enjoy a game because of the occasional blurry texture or jagged edge. I'm not saying you're like that. It's just what comes to mind when I read your previous posting.

Often, when games are optimized for high rez textures and high fidelity AA and AF, other things will suffer. Framerate, viewing distance, drawing distance and whatever hasn't been done with the gamemechanics in order to have enough memory and processing power to achieve a glossy looking game. That's often the case with games for the current HD consoles. They can't really pull off HD looks and highly interactive gameworlds with high viewing and drawing distances. Most 'looker' console games suffer from a horrid FOV (Field of View) too. As if we're all wearing blinders. I hate seeing such things suffer for the sake of high rez textures and AA and AF. Improving on the gameplay relevant presentation is way more important to me than getting high resolution textures and such.

Of course you can throw money at your PC until it runs anything smoothly. Look at Crysis. 3 years after release, you'll need  two High End Nvidea GFX cards in SLI to max Crysis out and run it smoothly. Still got to tune down stuff like physics on singlecard systems and all ATI systems (lack of PHYSX). Anyways, many games are optimized for shallow beauty, like high rez textures and AA and AF. I say processing power and memory would be better alocated to gameplay relevant aspects of the presentation. Like viewing and drawing distance. Like framerate. Or even better - increasing the scope and interactivity of the gameworlds we're playing in.