Whattya' been playin' this week? 8/19/2011

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Goddamn I hate putting the month before the day when I'm writing dates. Anyway...

GENTLEMEN!!
GENTLEMEN!!

The weekend is here, it's time for you to tell us what you have been playing. And by "playing" I mean "winning". Because ya'll are winners. Right? Right.

We want to hear about:

• What games you have been playing
  • What you liked and what you didn't
  • What you plan on playing this weekend

So Giant Bomb! What have you been playing?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Way too much Gears 2. My friends have all been playing it "to keep warmed up for Gears 3" so I'v been playing lots of that. I like the game, hate some of the issues with matchmaking such as host advantage and stuff. Probably gonna be playing....more Gears 2 this weekend.

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Berezov

Dynasty Warriors 7, Dead Space 2, Tales of Vesperia and Pokemon SoulSilver. It's my birthday tomorrow so I might buy the Dawn of War 2 games on Steam too.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MeierTheRed

Bastion PC version, wich by the way looks fucking sweet in 1080p. And i have also been playing more Dungeons of Dredmor. 

@Berezov said:

It's my birthday tomorrow so I might buy the Dawn of War 2 games on Steam too.
Congrats, and do it, buy them. I really enjoyed all three DOW2 games.
MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#5  Edited By MightyDuck

Went back and played some more Mortal Kombat this week.  I also went and tried to make some more progress through Undead Nightmare on Red Dead Redemption.

I bought the DLC back during the winter and just never really got around to playing it.

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JokerFrown

I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins and Gears of War 2. Nothing new or anything. Just two of my favorite games. =)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's pretty much been those two educational games and one game I've been playing for video content. However, I do plan to play more, like Tomb Raider or Tear Ring Saga or Half Life.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deeveeus

Finally nabbed a copy of LA Noire, one of the best games I played in a LONG time! Course I love old adventure games, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've been playing the latest Need for Speed game, Need for Speed Underground. I think it's a great game, there's a lot of things I like about it, namely the Car Customization. The Car Customization feature is such a masterfully executed feature that customizing your car ostensibly becomes the crux of the game. The visual effects, the reflections off the road and the excessive motion blur around you are all striking visual features and together add to a very compelling sense of speed experienced while driving your car. However, for all my praise for the game, there's a couple of things I don't like. For one thing, the rubber-band AI is incredibly annoying. Often times I'll get a 25 second lead, only to lose the race in the last few seconds. It's very frustrating. Also, I appreciate that they took the time to make the virtual city in which you race, but the result of that is that almost all of your races take place on the same tracks, save for a few variations in the track. There's 111 races you've got to do, which can get a bit daunting, especially considering how redundant some of the races are, but the promise of unlocking sweet new parts for your car really helps make it feel worth it. 

This weekend, I'm probably going to continue to play Need for Speed Underground

Also, regarding DDMMYY, I feel that it simply flies in the face of things that are already ingrained into my head, like place value. From a young age, we are taught that when it comes to numbers, the number that comes first, your millions and thousands, is universally more important that the numbers that comes at the back, your tens and thousands. To say that, all the sudden, none of that matters, and the most important number is the one in the middle, seems very counter-intuitive to me. I feel like there's a reason that when we tell time, we say the hour first (e.g. it's three thirty) and not the oppisite (e.g. it's thirty three).

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper
  • Street Fighter 
  • It's Street Fighter
  • Street Fighter
Back next week.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing Minecraft. It's fun. I'm going to play Minecraft this weekend.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

Nothin'

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Sooperspy

Finished InFamous 2 earlier this week and I plan to play some more of Alice: Madness Returns and some Uncharted 2.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By BulletproofMonk

The game I've played the most this week is Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. I've never been a huge fan of that series, but for some reason, I'm finding this one to be pretty ok, even though it's just about the same game as the older ones. I'm definitely more interested in A Crack in Time, though, which I'll start playing when I finish ToD. 

I've also been playing Bastion. Bought the Soundtrack Pack from Steam, which has the game and the soundtrack. I'm liking it quite a bit, but not as much as most people here. I really like the visual style and the story, very interesting stuff. The narration and the soundtrack are fantastic as well. But the gameplay part isn't as strong. The combat isn't much fun, and the mission structure is really repetitive. Go to this place, find a core/shard, kill a bunch of enemies. I haven't finished it yet, so I'm hoping for some more variety. 

Also, Demon's Souls. New Game+. Fuck yeah.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#15  Edited By MoonlightMoth

I've been playing Shadows of the Damned. Love the aesthetics, like the shooting, indifferent about the humour. Also started on Xenoblade Chronicles; it's good, really good. I love the battle system, the music, the world, the character customisation...so far so good.

d_breeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By d_breeze

I've been playing Pokemon Colosseum on my Gamecube. My nephew is turning 5 tomorrow and he loves Pokemon so I've been playing with him :)

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

Mostly League of Legends and finally got Infamous so I've been playing that some as well. The game seems kinda repetitive and I really don't get that sense of power I feel like I should have, but I'm going to keep playing it and see if it gets any better.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Arker101

That's the real reason the colonists wanted their own country, so that they could screw up the entire Day/Month/Year system, because, you know, Illuminati. 

I've been re-playing Red Dead Redemption, good game, but needs more Helicopters.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

Nuttin'. I've got here a copy of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Singularity, lent of a mate, so I'll be giving those a go for a lot of next week. 

Also, Sweep, you're fucking British! Write your dates as such! U_U 

Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jotun
@BulletproofMonk said:
I've also been playing Bastion. Bought the Soundtrack Pack from Steam, which has the game and the soundtrack. I'm liking it quite a bit, but not as much as most people here. I really like the visual style and the story, very interesting stuff. The narration and the soundtrack are fantastic as well. But the gameplay part isn't as strong. The combat isn't much fun, and the mission structure is really repetitive. Go to this place, find a core/shard, kill a bunch of enemies. I haven't finished it yet, so I'm hoping for some more variety. 

I agree with you about the mission structure but not about the combat.  I really enjoy trying different weapon and secret skills combinations and wrecking fools. Then again, I'm a pretty big fan of action RPGs so maybe that adds to my enjoyment.  Sure there could be more variety, but in today's games when variety means the odd on-rails turret sequence, it's really not a big set-back for the game.

Also, Bastion is what I played this week. I still have Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Dead Space 2 sitting there mocking me...
Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BulletproofMonk
@Jotun said:
@BulletproofMonk said:

I agree with you about the mission structure but not about the combat.  I really enjoy trying different weapon and secret skills combinations and wrecking fools. Then again, I'm a pretty big fan of action RPGs so maybe that adds to my enjoyment.  Sure there could be more variety, but in today's games when variety means the odd on-rails turret sequence, it's really not a big set-back for the game.   
The combat does have a lot of variety, that's for sure. Lots of different weapons and skills. I just don't think they're very fun or satisfying.
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#22  Edited By SMTDante89

Legend of Zelda 3DS and that's it, and not much of that either. It's all I have right now on campus (didn't have enough room in the vehicle for a TV and moved in a week early for Resident Assistant training and that's been taking up almost all of my free time)

I imagine with Check-in starting tomorrow, I won't have much time this week to do much gaming either.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By nintendoeats

I beat Bastion twice (cheivos), played some LoL as per usual...

I WAS playing Darkstar One for the 360 when I realized that it's virtually identical to Freelancer, which I thought ran out of ideas very fast.

Also DJ Hero for the PS2, because I got it for 12 bucks with the turntable. Not bad, but it's really no fun to play music that I don't like. In Rock Band, I can enjoy playing a bad song as long as the note track is enjoyable. Also, I can't get the latency to a place that I like.

Right now I'm playing watch the stream and mess around with Gamemaker. I now have an image of Kyreo that can hookshot around a box.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Playing Catherine; going for the Platinum. Man, Babel's hard as hell...

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#26  Edited By RelentlessKnight

I have neglected on gaming for awhile until I recently started playing Age of Empires Online (AOEO) and I'm digging it right now. I just hope that they patch the game and in further updates, add some freebies for non pre-members.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Had a coupon for a free game rental so I got Shadows of the Damned.  Super fun game but it is a little short since I beat it in around 7 hours though worth a playthrough for the awesome story and because Garcia fucking Hotspur is one of the greatest protagonist in any video game ever along with being a sweet name.   The game play is essentially just a more refined version of Resident Evil 4.   Definitely the best Suda 51 game in terms of gameplay and it has a pretty coherent story with some nice twist and turns.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Arker101:  
DD/MM/YY is dumb. Why would you arrange it like that.
PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

I played a lot of Red Dead Redemption this week. I'm pretty sure I'm in the final "town" and the final strand of missions, so I've stopped the storyline to clean up sidequests and unlock outfits.

I'm trying to find beaver furs for a Stranger quest and it's pissing me off because the beaver spawns are so low. I've got to play poker to unlock one outfit and arm wrestle to unlock another. The problem is that I don't know how to play poker and I strongly dislike the arm wrestling minigame.

So far, I think this game is good. I just don't see quite why it was considered a GOTY by so many people. It's GOOD, better than most other Rockstar sandboxers, but it hasn't struck me as GREAT.

I'll blog about it in the distant future, after I finish these Ambient Challenges. Damned beavers...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#30  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Damn, it feels like I've been doing nothing but playing games this week. I finished off Alpha Protocol (bland and pretty terrible, with some good ideas I'd like to see implemented in other games), Record of Agarest War (dreadful, dreadful game), Monster Hunter 3 (crazy addictive and pretty charming), LOTRO (stuck in leveling hell), World of Goo (such a crazy good little gem), Hector: Badge of Courage (classic point and click, pretty damned funny), and just a touch more of Trails in the Sky.

This coming week, I'll be primarily playing the Wii, as I just got it hooked back up again and want to delve into Monster Hunter more, but I imagine I'll be trying to get through Record of Agarest War as soon as possible.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By laserbolts

First week in a long time I haven't played xbox. Sunk some time in to minecraft but it's been a light week of gaming. Minecraft is awesome but it takes so long to do things.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#32  Edited By Dimsey

Not a lot. A little Madden 10. Some Quake Live.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By Wildfire570

I've been attempting to finish up some back catalog stuff so I decided to play Fallout: New Vegas. I'm about 40 hours in and I'm more hooked to this game than Fallout 3. Obsidian did a great job realizing this kind of post-apocalyptic wild west feel to the whole game. I also really love the story of this game so far and it might be up there with Mass Effect storyline for me. I feel that nice mix of you know bad stuff is going to go down soon however there's no rush to finish the game. 

Of course this game is far from perfect thanks to the overall jankiness of this game and boy does still have some. Some dialogue options got cut out then reintroduced for no reason, leave a building and mole rats somehow appear causing the frame rate to chug hard, and the occasional AI glitch here and there, and also the loading screen straight up freezes. Though since I got my new Xbox and installed the game on my hard drive those issues hardly show up. I'm really hoping to play some League of Legends before school starts on Monday.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel

I have officially clocked over fifty hours in Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3, because damn that game is fun. As for this weekend, I will be playing very little, as my parents will be in town and thus I'll be busy with other things.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mahonay

I've been going back and playing through games I barely started but always meant to go back and finish. I picked up Himan Blood Money from Ebay for about 12 bucks. What an absolutely fantastic game. The different ways you can carry out your assassinations in each mission are both numerous and hilarious. This game definitely does not get enough credit.

I've also been playing through the OSX version of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. That game still holds up extremely well. You can really see how far ahead of it's time it was when it first came out. Having a great time with it.

Finally I went back and played some Chronicles of Riddick Escape From Butcher Bay. That game is amazing at the start and then turns into a fairly derivative shooter as it would seem. I'm fighting mutants in a dark sewer and I'm already about to call it quits.

This weekend I'll be home with the family in Philly. I will probably have some time to game Sunday night but I'm not sure what. Probably more Hitman.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Pie

Condemned 1/2. Splinter cell pandora tomorrow/ chaos theory. Toy soldiers cold war

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By imsh_pl

Limbo, Bastion and Braid. So an indie week for me.

Bastion and Braid are both completely gorgeous and breath-taking. I'll probably write a review when I finish them.

Limbo though...

Let's just say that after all what Brad's been saying I am a bit disappointed.

Other than that I'm finishing my evil playthrough of inFamous 2. Great game, although not without flaw. If I'm not as lazy as always I'll probably write a review for that one too.

So yeah!

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#38  Edited By Hector

Some MineCraft and Aquaria.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Surkov
m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By m0rdr3d

I've been bouncing back and forth between Left 4 Dead 2 on the PC and Halo Reach.  I must admit it's more of a case of me TRYING to get back into Reach, but I'm having much more fun with L4D2. 
Also, I've dinked around with a couple of demos such as Toy Soldiers and Backbreaker.  Wasn't blown away by TS, but Backbreaker was pretty danged fun.  Might pick it up on a later sale since it's $15.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#41  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Had a bit of a busy week but I am very happy to have Mortal Kombat now. I'm not a huge player of fighting games but in the couple of sessions of MK I've played I've found it very hard to tear myself away. Obviously, I'm a bit of a newbie at the game and I suppose if there's anything I dislike I'd have to make the rather weak criticism of "the learning curve", especially with the fatalities, but I love the characters, I love the ridiculously gratuitous violence and sexualisation, and when I'm doing well it's just really fun, that game can make you feel like a badass.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mracoon

Lots of Gears 2 in my quest to get to level 100.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pibo47

Deus Ex. I finally pushed through it. Good game. Story was a bit weaker than i remembered...but im still super pumped for Human Revolution. Damn shame i wont be bringing my xbox or ps3 with my to school...ill have to wait and play all those new pretty games until winter break.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By coreymw

I finished my 3rd play through of Bastion and bought the new Toy Soldiers game. I continue to enjoy Bastion and after my first play through of Toy Soldiers: Cold War I don't feel like giving up on it, so I guess that means I liked it. I recently borrowed a copy of "The Saboteur" from a friend and am really enjoying it. That game is very underrated. I've also jumped in and out of Halo: Reach a few times to get my credit total up. I need the last non multiplexer achievement.

My new Android phone (Droid 3) arrives on Monday so I plan on picking up some games for that.

@Jotun: I too need to finish Brotherhood. I started Dead Space 2, made it about half way and then realized that I wasn't being entertained

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Discorsi

I have been absolutely hooked on Diablo 2 although I did get sidetracked by the Terraria bug for three days straight. Looking forward to playing Diablo 2 more now that my wrists and hands don't hurt from playing way too long

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By nukesniper

On PC I'm still playing Terraria with my girlfriend. That is a pretty damn good game overall. I've also gotten hard into TF2 multiplayer. Now I'm getting better at that game to a point where I don't feel terrible about trying out Spy.

On Xbox I've been playing Red Dead Redemption. I still have a D-Rank in that and I hate my D Rank games. I like it a decent amount, but my cat really likes it. I can hardly gallop down a path without him attacking my TV.

On a weird side of all of this. I have been playing Final Fantasy 1 on my newly aquired PSPgo ($70 on clearance). I'm about 7 hours into FF1 and this is a new record. I'm really liking that game and I like how smooth the PSP remake's graphics are. My PSPgo situation will come in a blog post soon though. I'm sure someone here is wondering why I bought that dumb thing when I already have a working PSP 1000.

This weekend all I am looking forward to is playing 7 Winders (board game) with my friends. I played 9 games of that one night. Consider me addicted.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By Toxin066

This was my last week at home before I move back in to the dorms, so I wanted some quick games to run through. I ended up picking up Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles (I already had Sonic 2). Turns out these games aren't very good. A lotta jank, and a lot of poor platforming - especially coming from Super Meat Boy to these games. But the music is incredible. So that's a plus.

satansmagichat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By satansmagichat

Beat LA Noire on a redbow rental just the other night. Really liked that game, despite some obvious flaws.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By crusader8463

Pretty much nothing but City of Heroes non stop with the odd hour or two of Team Fortress 2 throw in when I needed a break or when the servers got empty and I couldn't get a half way good team started.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Enigma777
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided