#1  Edited By MikeFightNight

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MikeFightNight

So I caved and bought The Old Republic. I am not an MMO fan and the only reason I bought it was because I have liked Bioware's past RPG's. I know so much more about the ME lore from games and books, so The Old Republic is acting like a crash course in Star Wars for me. Thankfully I am liking the game but it has me thinking I would like it better if it was a Mass Effect MMO.

I know that Bioware would never have done this because it would not sell close to as many copies as a Star Wars MMO but I personally like the ME universe better. I am not a huge Star Wars fan, I find the older movies entertaining, can't remember a thing about the newer ones except for pod racers and jar jar binks.

So how about you guys, which universe do you gravitate more towards?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I've only recently gotten into Lord of the Rings, watched all the movies, gonna read the books. And i have to say, Middle Earth is the greatest fictional universe ever created. In any case, Star Wars.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

Star Wars is poopy.

No Caption Provided
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

Wrex.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DonPixel

Star Wars has more content but I strongly prefer Mass Effect.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I enjoy Mass Effect lore way more.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CheapPoison

Mass Efffect way more.

I stil like the story they told in star wars... but the universe is dead to me after... well.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eidderf

I've never been that much of a star wars fan, though bioware related Star Wars stuff seems to be usually of a high quality I don't have any great fondness for the films or universe in general. I actually didn't put too much time into Mass Effect originally and almost abandoned the series after playing a couple of hours of the first game, it wasn't until I started hearing really positive things about the first that I started to really get interested in it and ended up loving both of the games.

There's some interesting fiction in there and some quite memorable characters and I really enjoy the look of the aliens and variety of environments they've created, the main enemy being a race of evil spaceships is pretty cool concept also.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IkariNoTekken

Re-watched Star Wars last week and plan to re-watch the other two soon enough. Don't understand the whole "can't go back" nonsense people seem to always bring up, I didn't once think of the prequels during that movie.

So, Star Wars without a doubt. They probably don't stand out in your memory but if you re-watch the original trilogy you'll see so much of that larger fictional universe. It's great and I love it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars at first, but Mass Effect felt better, then ME2 happened and I'm not liking either much.

Meh.

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Joker369

Mass Effect by far

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MezZa

Mass Effect easily. I've seen too much Star Wars. Way over used.

DeiNile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeiNile

Star Wars is the very definition of bland and boring. So Mass Effect for me.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By huntad

I prefer Star Wars. I don't think Mass Effect's is bad, but I just don't want to read all of that. Personal preference.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Christoffer

That's a weird question. But I guess ME is a much better universe. Star Wars made better movies, though.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheKing

Star Wars. Nothing wrong with the Mass Effect games but that's as far as my caring goes with the series.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By BaneFireLord

Mass Effect, because omnitools are awesome, anyone can have a Force equivalent with implants and the tech is way cooler. Also, Asari > Twi'leks. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Mass Effect universe better, just because it feels more grounded and better realized. But if I had to live in one, Star Wars all the way. In Star Wars, I can barrel through space in a freighter loaded with smuggled spices and narcotics, with a goddamn wookiee as my wingman. And as silly and stupid as that is, I can't imagine anything comparable to that sort of fun in Mass Effect.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By WickedCobra03

@Dany said:

Wrex.

Shepard.

....Seriously though, I am not sure if it is because Star Wars is kind of played out or if Mass Effect is just more interesting, but lets just say I have been tempted to read those books... something I have never done for star wars.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dillonwerner

BioWare's Star Wars

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@BaneFireLord said:

Also, Asari > Twi'leks.

Darth Talon. That is all.

COME SEE ME IN THE STREETS SON

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By cornbredx

If this was which has better lore, it would be ME but as a universe Star Wars is better.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By chilibean_3

Mass Effect because it's a better Sci-Fi universe. I've always liked Sci-Fi so much more than fantasy and, even though I love Star Wars, there are a lot of space wizards and space swords going on. And as Will pointed out in a video recently, Star Wars has things like "Turbolasers". Turbolasers. That's a really dumb name for something.

Star Wars has a much larger universe which is to be expected for a franchise that's been around so long and has been expanded upon by so many people. I think there are lot of interesting events, locations and characters people could use to create additional fiction in the Mass Effect universe.

Gosh I hope Mass Effect 3 is good.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aetheldod

I like them both but the hot blue muffins Asari wins the day :D ; yep I have a crush on Liara .... too bad she´s ficticious , unless the Bioware folks come from space and they are preparing us for things to come , yeah lets go with that :)

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By clumsyninja1

Can I choose ME and Star Trek vs SW?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BraveToaster

Mass Effect.

Star Wars: Episodes 1-3 ruined it a little for me.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By kalmis

Star Wars no doubt. Nothing wrong with Mass Effect, but grown up with SW universe.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By jakob187

Everyone answering Mass Effect is either under 18 or fucking stupid.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By belaraphon

vote: mass effect

difficult to say why but i get a good vibe from it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By tourgen

Obviously Mass Effect because it's real sci-fi. Star Wars USED TO BE pretty alright fantasy. The first 2.5 movies were great but the rest is trash.

But beyond that Mass Effect built a great sci-fi setting and then added some very cool and interesting characters. Some of the supporting cast from ME1 and ME2 are truly great with interesting stories of their own. With SW you get what, a whiny little brat and Chewie and Han who are left to carry the first 3 movies all on their own.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jay444111

Well, I think people aren't really considering the fact here.

The star wars universe is almost always in a constant state of war in some way or another. Seriously. Look at all the movies and tell that it is as safe as Mass effect, also, somehow, the tech actually DEGRADES throughout time in the universe as well, just look at the fucking armor and the ATAT's to the ones in the prequel movies. six legs is better than two/four super long ones.

Also, people in the ME seem to live longer and more healthy lives than SW.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33  Edited By JasonR86

There wouldn't be a Mass Effect universe without Star Wars or Star Trek.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jay444111

@JasonR86 said:

Yet Mass Effect is still done better in almost every regard other than laser beam swords. Although we do have HOLOGRAPHIC BLADES!!!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Hamz

Are we debating which has the better universe based on the content offered through the video games or just in general which has a better universe? Because if it's the latter option then Star Wars wins hands down. There's literally decades worth of attention put into making one of the most comprehensive fictional universes ever conceived.

Don't get me wrong ME is great and all but two games and a few comics doesn't beat decades worth of content that Star Wars has.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scrawnto

As much as I like Star Wars, Mass Effect has a much more internally consistent and interesting universe. It was actually crafted that way, where most of Star Wars lore seems to have been made up along the way.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JasonR86

@Jay444111 said:

@JasonR86 said:

Yet Mass Effect is still done better in almost every regard other than laser beam swords. Although we do have HOLOGRAPHIC BLADES!!!

I personally think they are far too different to compare. I actually think Mass Effect has more in common with Star Trek then Star Wars. But, regardless, I always find it weird to try to say one thing is better then another when the one of those things so clearly aped aspects from the other. Plus, there's so much tied up with these two franchises that it is next to impossible to compare the two. Especially on a video game site where I would gather nearly every member hated most, if not all, of the prequels. Those three movies have effected how the Star Wars universe will be seen forever. Further, most members who are voting have a really strong tie to Mass Effect due to their personal 'Shepherds' and their personalized storylines and worlds. This comparison is kind of doomed from the get-go for Star Wars.

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HisDudeness

Star Wars. It isn't even a question to me

@JasonR86 said:

Also this.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MrKlorox

Mass Effect, because it's sci-fi.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jazzycola

@Hamz said:

Are we debating which has the better universe based on the content offered through the video games or just in general which has a better universe? Because if it's the latter option then Star Wars wins hands down. There's literally decades worth of attention put into making one of the most comprehensive fictional universes ever conceived.

Don't get me wrong ME is great and all but two games and a few comics doesn't beat decades worth of content that Star Wars has.

That's kinda what I was thinking. And really from not reading any of the Mass effect books, the Mass Effect universe feels and seems like a KoToR sequel without the Star Wars license. Biotic powers are essentially force users, Soldiers are bounty hunters or Troopers etc. Then you're against a being/machine(Reapers) that wants to make slaves and absorb all their knowledge which is what Sith does.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rockanomics

I feel like the Star Wars universe itself is really cool but the way they use it is retarded.

Like Tatooine is supposed to be one of the most backwater, boring rocks in the galaxy but because it was the only planet in the first movie it gets used in every 3rd storyline.

Louise_Cypher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Louise_Cypher

@Christoffer said:

That's a weird question. But I guess ME is a much better universe. Star Wars made better movies, though.

What a weird comment since at present we have no Mass Effect movies.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Clinkz

Mass effect lore blows. Star Wars all the way.

Louise_Cypher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Louise_Cypher

@JasonR86 said:

Mass Effect is a blending of many elements just like Star Wars and Star Trek borrowed on works done before. Just because it came before something doesn't mean it's inherently better. Lets not for get the biggest fuck up in sci-fi history. Of course I am talking about Midi-Chlorians,

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mordukai

@Louise_Cypher said:

@Christoffer said:

What a weird comment since at present we have no Mass Effect movies.

That's what I thought too.

@Clinkz said:

Mass effect lore blows. Star Wars all the way.

Midi-Chlorians Vs. Eezo...I'd go with Eezo.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NTM

Mass Effect has a way better universe. I'm not all that interested in sci-fi that doesn't have Earth in it. I'm more into the future technology and life styles of our humanity, and just what our future could possible look like, so Mass Effect, although not entirely plausible, is far more interesting than Star Wars.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JasonR86

@Louise_Cypher said:

@JasonR86 said:

Mass Effect is a blending of many elements just like Star Wars and Star Trek borrowed on works done before. Just because it came before something doesn't mean it's inherently better. Lets not for get the biggest fuck up in sci-fi history. Of course I am talking about Midi-Chlorians,

'Borrow' is one thing. 'Steal from' is another.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By Jayzilla

Star Wars. I have to leave this thread now though as I am going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters.

Louise_Cypher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Louise_Cypher

@JasonR86 said:

@Louise_Cypher said:

@JasonR86 said:

'Borrow' is one thing. 'Steal from' is another.

So Star Wars never "Stole" anything right? NO! IT BORROWED. Whatever man. Clearly you're a fanboy so there's no purpose in discussing it any further.