Who do you want Giant Bomb to hire?

hammondoftexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who do you want Giant Bomb to hire? (1184 votes)

Shawn Elliott 6%
Jeff Cannata 3%
Danny O'dwyer 37%
A new Video Duder so Drew and Vinny get more screen time 40%
Other (Name someone in your post) 14%

The most recent Unprofessional Fridays was a skeleton crew, and although I found the show to be absolutely hilarious and entertaining Jeff mentioned that steps are being taken to hire some new people. With that being said who do you guys want to see get potentially hired to join the Giant Bomb Crew? I've added a few names to a poll that I have seen/heard floating around, as well as just hiring a new Video Duder who could free up Drew and Vinny to be in more content. If you choose 'other' let everyone know who you'd choose and why!

Let your voices be heard!

• 
Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seth Rogen, he likes video games. Also Drew would finally have someone to get baked with.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

When and/or if they hire someone, I hope they go out of their comfort zone a bit. A little diversity would be nice.

Also, the obligatory: me.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Jennifyre

Australia

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Vuud

Hatsune Miku. They can make her say... and do, whatever they want.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#105  Edited By TheBluthCompany

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By freakin9

I already hate him, whoever he/they is.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Danny's already proven himself to work really well with the team on camera. Would love if he joined the crew. But I'd also really love it if they were able to hire back one of their old interns. Like Ian or Kessler. That would be a really classy move.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for brianofthewoods
brianofthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By brianofthewoods

@abendlaender: Duder thats Arthur Gies Of Polygon and the Rebel FM podcast. I mean he can be a white knight alot of the time but i think he'd be a nice addition to the Giant Bomb crew.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video_Game_King

As awesome as it would be, it definitely won't be Danny. He already said that

What they said.

Avatar image for brianofthewoods
brianofthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07 said:
No Caption Provided

Everybody's secret-favorite.

Polygon man? (I seriously have no idea who that is)

Duder thats Arthur Gies of Polygon and the Rebel FM podcast. He can be a real white knight sometimes but he'd be a nice addition to the crew.

ManiacalMech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ManiacalMech

I second the Brad Muir vote. Even though he works at Double Fine and it'd never happen in a million years, it'd still be totally cool.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan Elektro!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lord and savior of all video games, Jack Trenton.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More tech people so Vinny/Drew can do more content.

Also Kessler.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#116  Edited By NMC2008

@fisk0 said:

@nmc2008 said:

@fisk0 said:

I'd kinda want to hear more of Kat Bailey or Jenn Frank. They are very rarely in any podcasts since the closure of 1UP.

After that Castlevania LOS 2 garbage, I don't know why you'd wanna hear more of her nonsense, but to each their own.

So you're disagreeing with one article she's written? I've disagreed with one or a few articles written by just about everyone listed so far in this thread, but that doesn't take away from the fact that she (and most of the others mentioned here) have written plenty of interesting and well researched articles.

Were those articles you disagreed with on the same level of bullshit as that one? Anyway, I don't wanna derail this, but yes, that was my first and last exposure to Kat,

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Strife777

As appealing as Danny O'Dwyer sounds, we can still get him on every once in awhile (Alt+F1, UPF and all), so I would probably prefer a production dude, so they can churn out more/better content.

They always end up "overworking" Vinny and Drew, especially during shows like E3. So I basically don't really care about more personalities, at least for the moment, I'd rather have behind the scenes guys. If they're good on camera too, then great.

Edit: Oh come on guys, we lost Kessler. He's a suit now, probably lighting up his cigars with burning $100 bills.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#119  Edited By hardindr

I think more than anything, GB needs a good podcast host. Ryan was always so good at keeping the flow going in the podcast, pulling back the discussion when it got a little bit too ridiculous, and keeping focus; Jeff just doesn't do that as well. Maybe Ryan was that special guy who had all the right qualities for the job and is irreplaceable. I can't think of anyone offhand who could fill his shoes, the person who is equal to Jeff and can put him in check when need be (no disrespect to Jeff intended).

Gies is a good guy, but after a while some of his politics get tiresome, even if I share most of his views. By all accounts, he is very happy at Polygon and probably wouldn't leave anyway.

Garnett Lee is an interesting choice, but I wonder if he would really fit. I don't think Shawn Elliot would really fit either.

O'Dwyer seems like an obvious choice, but he is needed at Gamespot and CBSi probably wouldn't let GB poach him.

I guess no one really leaps to my mind, but I suppose we'll find out sooner rather than later.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Well, they won't give Jeff any money to hire people with.

I propose they find some nice hobo and provide him with free Night Train in return for hilarious commentary during UPF.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everyone who already has a job

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

Hatsune Miku. They can make her say... and do, whatever they want.

it REALLY is huge!!!!

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Chris, with the white car.

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Aelric

It is entirely possible that who they would hire wouldn't be an editor, this more of a Ian figure, mostly behind the cameras. I got the impression that they weren't planning on hiring new personalities, more like new workers for the nuts and bolts. Also, they have been talking about being on the verge of doing some cools stuff since they got to CBSi, but seemed to get slowed down by the corporate structure. I think that is specifically meaning that hiring folks has been difficult because CBS bought GB as is and didn't plan to do much with it other than let it be itself, but that is total speculation. Plus, obviously, Ryan dying likely put a long hold on many plans. Last year, a whole lot of bad happened, including Patrick moving and the cameras getting jacked at E3, all of which probably made GB seem like a budget sinkhole to some executive in control of the money. Have you noticed that they talk like they haven't even gotten the equipment replaced yet when they bring it up? I think their budget has been the biggest problem after the setbacks.

Well, that got a little off topic, but I still think my money is on them hiring more worker bees and not new editors. Cheaper too and that might be the only way CBSi will agree to it. Hell, they might only be able to get interns again.

As for who i would like to see if they do hire a new editor? Well, Carrie would be alright if she wanted to do it, so would Danny if CBSi let him. Jeff Green might be alright. All three offer something new, Jeff Green being older, Carrie being a girl, Danny being Irish, And those perspectives would be interesting to hear. I'd also say Leigh Alexander, but this site has a history of jumping all over her ass, and to be fair, she has been a sloppy drunk on camera before. Her writing is better than her personality, so she might not mix well here where their isn't much written stuff anyway.

I would really like to see a girl hired, not to sex the site up with her looks but because she hangs well with the guys and has well formed opinions, but everyone would scream Social Justice Warrior (like it's a bad thing) and harrass the hell out of her. I think Carrie is the only one that might get a pass due to being oldschool gamespot.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Jack Tretton or Jeff Green.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Office Mountain Goat 2014.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually thought a lot about this, and I always come back to this complete fantasy hire that makes so much sense and will never happen:

Morgan Webb.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#130  Edited By Bollard

#HIREODWYER

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dream combo: Brad Muir and John Drake.

The E3 Live Show where both of them were there was legendary. I've never laughed so hard in my life.

Downside would probably be that it'd all go up in shenanigans and nothing would get done.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fresh meat for the GB flame grill

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Rafaelfc

I'm a video duder with some tricaster experience (doing screens for concerts), they should totally hire me.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin McElroy or Jeff Green would be perfect fits

But I trust the crew with whomever they hire, was sour on Patrick in the beginning and he has grown on me over the years.

Justin is high in the food chain at Polygon so it's not gonna happen, but man it would be so awesome if he would join. I mean, I think the Polygon environment is not suitable for him and he's funny as hell.

My unreasonable vote goes for Carrie, because she's the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevin Pereira

or just bring Dave back.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mattie Brice

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want an unknown. Honestly with the way they work they should look to hire someone with maybe a sketch/comedy writing background who also loves games.

I like a few of the people mentioned but I don't think any of them fit the site. I honestly think humour and the ability to be good on camera are more important than being in the biz.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for a Video Duder, but then I remembered the latest Unprofessional Friday and now I'm not so sure anymore...

If they hire someone to be in front of the camera, I just hope they go for someone whose main job description will be: 'Sit on couch, play videogame, be funny/informative.' A Dave-type of guy.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#139  Edited By AndrewB

@brianofthewoods said:

@abendlaender said:
@blu3v3nom07 said:
No Caption Provided

Everybody's secret-favorite.

Polygon man? (I seriously have no idea who that is)

Duder thats Arthur Gies of Polygon and the Rebel FM podcast. He can be a real white knight sometimes but he'd be a nice addition to the crew.

He appears in this fun little Quick Look, as well.

He talks about the Bombcast often enough on Rebel.FM too.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#140  Edited By viking_funeral

I can't imagine they'd take any of the community's picks seriously... I mean, it's not like people were hankering to get Patrick Klepeck on board, and that seemed to be something the site needed.

Likely it will be someone behind the scenes. Probably for the best.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they're gonna poach anybody, it's gonna be someone local or who can relocate. I'm seeing a lot of calls for them to bring in people who have families and live across the country and I don't think that's realistic.

I say they should poach Adam Sessler.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

*cough* me *cough*

Realistically though I'd say Danny, he already fits in so well.

MidnightVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By MidnightVice

A new video duder for sure. It really sucks not having both Drew and Vinny on Unprofessional Fridays at the same time anymore.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching the GZ QL I just want them to hire somebody who pays attention to things and knows things about things, like that Kiefer Sutherland indeed will be the voice in The Phantom Pain (wtf), and can play games in QLs so that more people than Brad get to play in QLs.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

After watching the GZ QL I just want them to hire somebody who pays attention to things and knows things about things, like that Kiefer Sutherland indeed will be the voice in The Phantom Pain (wtf), and can play games in QLs so that more people than Brad get to play in QLs.

I'm sure both Vinny and Jeff can play games in QLs, it's just that for some reason Brad is the pilot for most QLs these days. I personally don't have a problem with it, and don't think hiring someone new will change that (if Jeff wanted to play GZ, he'd play GZ).

And them not knowing that Kiefer Sutherland will be the voice in PP is probably more down to them not really caring about that game (it wasn't a QL of PP either, even if they should've probably looked that up).

Knowing Kojima, Hayter will probably be the voice in PP anyways :P

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Ok, two things - first, I think that people saying they want a video guy so Drew can be on camera don't appreciate how fucking good Drew is on the controls. Vinny's pretty good, but Drew is an artist. If you ask me, they should hire someone so Drew can stay off camera (to an extent. There are obviously some games he's best suited for).

Second, it's "whom" they should hire.

Lyfeforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd enjoy Cara Ellison, Danny O'Dwyer, Johnny V or Kessler.

I still say Epic Steve is my main choice though.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Reverend Al Sharpton. The cast needs some diversity. If cheerios can do it, so can GiantBomb!

Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to assume that this opinion will be automatically disliked, but here goes.....

Can they hire someone to do video with @Patrick Klepek in Chicago? It seems like he's putting out a lot of content by himself and it would be great if he was able to spend some time playing games with the CAH guys, or Dave Lang, or get some good video interviews with any of the numerous small studios in the area, etc. - but with some production quality other than a webcam.

I would think that they could get someone to do it on contract for next to nothing -- I have the equipment and would do it for little to nothing, and I assume that there are hundreds of people in the area who would as well. Seems like an inexpensive way to get more video content on the site.