Why do people ask for remakes?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I don't get it. This is mostly pertaining to Square Enix. It seems like every time they remake a game, I see people go, "Ooh, do ___________ next!", as if all they want is remakes. With all the talk of a remake of Final Fantasy 7, you have to ask....do you really want one? Wouldn't you prefer NEW games?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

I really want one.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum
Meowayne said:
"

I really want one."
Not on the DS, of all places a FF7 remake could go.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Oh, a remake. No, I don't want a remake. A remake would ruin the game.
A port though, a port I don't mind. At all.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emilio

Because people want to pay extra money for a game they already played to death so they don't have to go back and see how horribly bad their game has aged.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Demyx

Those who haven't played it probably don't want to pay extra for an rare old copy with dated graphics.

If a remake happened I'd get it and be excited, if not I wouldn't be disappointed.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By m1k3

I like remakes of classic games. Especially if their good. The old Final Fantasy's are childhood classics for me (granted that i was only a little kid when i started playing the first one).

Seeing them updated with better graphics and somewhat enhanced gameplay just makes me want to re-live the classics.

Same with Chrono Trigger.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Dalai

Someone read my blog today... yay.

I'll take a port over a remake anytime.

dabada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By dabada

It's a combination of reasons. First and foremost, Nostalgia is very powerful.

Emilio said:

"Because people want to pay extra money for a game they already played to death so they don't have to go back and see how horribly bad their game has aged."
There's certainly some truth to that. Graphics aside, older games won't benefit from improvements to the genre.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By DualReaver
dabada said:
"It's a combination of reasons. First and foremost, Nostalgia is very powerful.

Emilio said:
"Because people want to pay extra money for a game they already played to death so they don't have to go back and see how horribly bad their game has aged."
There's certainly some truth to that. Graphics aside, older games won't benefit from improvements to the genre.
"
I really don't think a remade FF7 would show much age at all.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hewkii

because I haven't played most of these games.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Look at the cost and rarity of some of those titles. Upgraded versions of classics....who in their right mind complains about that? It introduces games we grew up with to new generations of players. And support for those remakes brings in new gamers for new and future releases. Port, remake, the only person it won't benefit is the person that can't be satisfied with anything.

In the end it benefits us all....

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By BigBoss1911

Nostalgia?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By xruntime

I don't understand remakes. Why not just play the old game?

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Clean

I want FF7 remake......just throwing it out there.

larco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By larco
xruntime said:
"I don't understand remakes. Why not just play the old game?"
Sometimes it's harder to get the older games. Chrono Trigger is being remade for the DS, and I'm sure many people who have not played that game want to play it, but they don't want to pay some outrageous sum of money for a decade old game.

Edit: Final Fantasy III
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Hamz

There isn't anything wrong with remakes but i would say it becomes tiresome and negative to the gaming industry if developers just start focusing on revitalizing older game franchises instead of coming up with fresh and new ideas.

Generally people want remakes of older games because of nostalgic reasons and possibly because they want to see how those older games will look and play with todays more advanced technology. And as for a FF7 remake i couldn't care to be honest, i loved the original and my avatar pays homage to that fact but i have moved onto new things and become a PC gamer so really a FF7 remake wouldn't be played by me.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By m1k3

I dont really care if FFVII gets remade or not, i sure loved the original though. "IF" it does get remade i would pick it up, but im not eagerly waiting for it.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By clarke0

I wonder the same thing a lot of the time. I would much rather see the developers make an new game than bring back an old one I can just get on eBay.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, I think it's completely retarded. You hear it most with people wanting remakes of FFVII and Ocarina of Time. Remaking the games would be a bad idea.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I dont mind asking for it, its not like im asking them to not make new games its just to add the remake to there to-do list

chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chazer127

In some cases the remakes are actualy "new" games, example: FF3 never got relesed in the UK so when it was remade and shipped to the UK it was a new FF game, Chrono trigger is another example, never relesed in some countres so the remake/port/whatever you want to call it is actually a new game.
as for games that have been out like FF7, well its a rare game (now anyway) so not a lot of people play it, but the one rare game I want to see ported to any console would be the Panzer Dragoon games because not a lot of people played them.

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Earthbounder

I think people like to ask for remakes because many of them haven't played the games on their original systems and it is much easier to find a game to a current gen or last gen system than getting a gem for a system that was released more than a decade ago.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By xruntime
Earthbounder said:
"I think people like to ask for remakes because many of them haven't played the games on their original systems and it is much easier to find a game to a current gen or last gen system than getting a gem for a system that was released more than a decade ago."
Oh - as a PC gamer, the most I have to do to play an old game is find a compatibility patch.
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Some games with really good stories are unplayable due to graphics and gameplay. That's why we like remakes.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

To improve on the original by using technology. Although I think they should wait at least 3 generations before remaking a game. There isn't significant technological differences between 1 or 2 generations to require a remake.