Would you make 1080p or 60 fps standard in the next generation?

• 53 results
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Would you make 1080p or 60 fps standard in the next generation? (158 votes)

Always 1080p, but sometimes 30 fps and sometimes 60 fps 41%
Always 60 fps, but sometimes 720p and sometimes 1080p 59%

If you could make one standard in the upcoming console generation, would you rather games ALWAYS be presented in true 1080p HD, or ALWAYS run at 60 frames per second?

• 
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By TheHT

ALL THE FRAMES

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee
Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

60fps.

cus my tv is only 720p lol

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Unless there is something I'm missing why shouldn't it be both?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Always 1080; always 120.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

60fps. doesn't matter how good your game looks if its running sluggish.

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would want smooth 60 FPS at all times. Since when was ~30FPS at sub-HD resolutions found acceptable?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'd almost prefer 1080p over the 60 frames, really depends on the type of game though.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe let developers do whatever the fuck they want?

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

1080p. 30fps is fine, as long as you keep it locked at 30fps.

Also, i feel like expressing my opinion about "60fps" as to what it means in console terms. If somebody told me that their game was running at 60 frames on a pc, i would assume that it never drops below 60. But, in console terms, "60fps" simply means that it is above 30fps at (almost) all times. For example, people often refer to COD on consoles as a "60fps" game, but in actuality the game is usually running in the high 40's-50's and can drop as low as the mid 20's during intensive SP missions.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@oscar__explosion said:

Unless there is something I'm missing why shouldn't it be both?

It could have easily been both THIS generation, but developers are always so focused on putting the best possible graphics into their games so they sell. When that happens, screen resolution and frame rate are frequently sacrificed. It will likely be the same situation next generation. Either games look a fair amount better than 360 and PS3 with great screen resolution and frame rates, or they look WAY better than the 360 and PS3, but have the same crap resolution and frame rates that console gamers have been dealing with for years.

@beachthunder said:

Always 1080; always 120.

In case you couldn't tell, this thread is basically asking the question of what you value more, resolution or frame rate.
Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

All the Graphics

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both because PC lol

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

1080. Sometimes 60fps looks weird and too smooth. Maybe it's "lo-fi" animations being scaled to 60fps and that's why, but many 60fps games remind me of when people turn on 120hz on their TV and it basically ruins how movies and some shows look.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I voted 1080p because I have realised don't care about framerate, Far Cry 3 looked fine on PS3 except for dodgy lighting and textures occasionally. I remember having no problems with Half Life 2 on XBOX or Goldeneye on N64. As long as I can't count frames, I am fine with whatever comes out on the box.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO

where is the "none of the above" option? The only people you will stop and hurt are smaller games. If you only want to play or buy games at 1080/60 than only play those games. However if you make it a requirement than the smaller games go to steam and don't even bother with next gen. Also you will have companies dumbing down games cause they have to make sure they run fast enough. If you only want AAA top of the line games great, but why force out the small guy.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If a single triple-A game comes out for the next generation consoles that doesn't do 1080 it's a failed generation. That's like a game for this generation only doing 480. The step up in hardware should make 1080 completely and utterly trivial.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about devs standardize games not sucking. I mean the tech is all there but STILL IN 2013 games suck (Aliens Cough Cough)

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

More frames. I prefer smoother play with better controller response time.

But we all know developers will push too many silly effects and such on screen and we'll end up with 25 fps average on most games by the end of the generation.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find having lower that 60 fps to be quite jaring epically in fighting games and action so I hope it's standard next gen.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21 Justin258  Online

I would much rather have a smooth framerate at a lower resolution than a worse framerate at a high resolution. There's just so much more difference between 30 and 60 than there is between 720p and 1080p.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scroll said:

More frames. I prefer smoother play with better controller response time.

But we all know developers will push too many silly effects and such on screen and we'll end up with 25 fps average on most games by the end of the generation.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frames. Most people sit so far away from their TVs that the difference between 1080p and 720p is physically unnoticeable.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

In console gaming, 60fps is more important than 1080p, because in most instances, 720 scales just fine.

However, I hate 16:9 gaming and, therefore, hate 1080p. As a PC gamer, I know the proper aspect is 16:10 (ie, 1920x1200 and 2560x1600). Unfortunately, since 16:9 is the direction televisions went and it would be expensive to continue producing smaller sets of just 16:10, 16:9 is slowly infecting the PC world.

But, yeah, for consoles -- 60fps (for most games) is more important than 1080p, because the fluidity trumps the slight fidelity improvement that most won't even notice, after scaling.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ratchet and Clank taught me that a high frame rate is paramount. When they went to 30 the game went to shit.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On consoles, I can't tell the difference half the time. What are some 30fps games and some 60fps games? What are some 720p games and some 1080p games?

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the resolution, a cleaner looking game that runs at a steady 30 fps.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#28  Edited By Kidavenger

I'm expecting both...

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I play on a 110" screen. Resolution is way more important for me.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

60 fps always!

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's my equivalent to Brad's "what's your favorite GNR song". I just can't chose.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pr1mus

It would be great to have both but it's not realistic to force either as a standard. Even if they wanted too how could they enforce a framerate standard? How much drops in FPS is acceptable and how do you judge this across different engines and style of games?

I suppose the console makers could force 1080p but even then they'll probably do it like Microsoft did with the 360 and upscale everything that's not running natively at 1080p.

Personally i would like more developers aimed for 60 fps. The fluidity 60 fps offers is the main reason why i play on PC. Better graphics are always nice but that's not the main draw for me.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HerbieBug

Nevermind 60fps, I'd settle for required minimum of 30fps and your game does not pass certification if it dips below that ever.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nevermind 60fps, I'd settle for required minimum of 30fps and your game does not pass certification if it dips below that ever.

That would require the certification process stopped being the joke it has become this generation.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

60fps. It's pretty sad a lot of games this gen didn't stay locked at 30fps.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

1080p and 30fps is fine for me. I guess as long as the game isn't that ladder in New Londo Ruins in Dark Souls, where the frames cease to exist.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080p resolution isn't even a factor unless your screen is larger than 40".

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WasabiCurry

I would want both, reason why I PC game.

If I were to choose, 60 fps is better than 1080p.

Also, 90 frames to 120 frames please. :p

Avatar image for videogamesarenotart
videogamesarenotart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you got some hilarious expectations from developers

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#40  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I generally prefer decent framerates over high resolutions, but there are a lot of games where neither are all that important. I think it should be up to the developers to decide on a per game basis, but, yeah, in general I'd prefer playing a super smooth game in 320x240 and 300 fps than watching a slide show in 4k resolutions.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a meaningless "standard".

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. Of course, I'm a PC gamer, so I'm already there.

I don't think I could choose between the two, actually. I hate it when games are < 45 FPS (as that's when it starts to become noticeable to a large degree), and I hate it when something isn't being rendered at the resolution of the screen.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Both?

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I'm pretty adamant about playing PC games at 1080p 60fps, but I never seem to notice 30fps on consoles at all. For some reason 30fps on consoles is perfectly playable to me while 30fps on PC games is abysmal.

Edit: Same thing goes for resolution too. For some reason I don't really notice 720p on consoles, but on PC it's a huge difference and 720p comparable resolutions look pretty terrible. It's probably all to do with the display technology and the distance I am from the screen or something though.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080p. 30fps is fine, as long as you keep it locked at 30fps.

Also, i feel like expressing my opinion about "60fps" as to what it means in console terms. If somebody told me that their game was running at 60 frames on a pc, i would assume that it never drops below 60. But, in console terms, "60fps" simply means that it is above 30fps at (almost) all times. For example, people often refer to COD on consoles as a "60fps" game, but in actuality the game is usually running in the high 40's-50's and can drop as low as the mid 20's during intensive SP missions.

This isn't true at all.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Andorski

Both should be mandatory. On my PC I will always tone down every graphic setting just so I can get a solid 60fps at native resolution on my 1080p HDTV.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both would be good, but I really love a silky smooth framerate. It'd be nice if both were mandatory, but that would be a lot more work for programmers, especially small time ones.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By 71Ranchero

1080p without question. 60 frames is great and all but shit, we used to be lucky to get a steady 15 and that was fine. People may be a bit spoiled these days. 30-45 is fine for most games if its consistent.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both would be good, but I really love a silky smooth framerate. It'd be nice if both were mandatory, but that would be a lot more work for programmers, especially small time ones.

It wouldn't be much work at all, achieving both of those goals is certainly possible with PS4 and Nextbox technology. Resolution is really simple, and achieving a smooth framerate can be done by just being modest with the use of effects.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By egg

60fps without question. 1080 resolution is great and all but shit, we used to be lucky to get a steady 480 and that was fine. People may be a bit spoiled these days. 480-720 is fine for most games.