#1 Posted by Gladiator_Games (447 posts) -

Really, its a multi-part question, because 'openly homosexual' can mean quite a few things. I mean it in two different ways: 

Firstly, the sorta openly homosexual, but not flamboyant. You know the characters gay, but it doesn't really come across as being a major character trait, like Dumbledor. 
Secondly, the flamboyantly homosexual character, think Ballad of Gay Tony.

Personally, I'd find it quite interesting to play a AAA title with a flamboyantly gay character (shooter for bonus points), I'd love to see what sales would be like. What about you fellow Forumners?

#2 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3109 posts) -

I'd play it either way, if the game was good and the characterization was done well.

#3 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

Yes. 

But I don't care about the concept and wouldn't be interested in seeing it be executed either.

#4 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

who plays a game and thinks "hmmmm i wonder who this character likes to have sex with?"

#5 Posted by MoonlightMoth (476 posts) -

Sure, why not?

#6 Posted by Slaker117 (4843 posts) -

I would play a video game starting Omar Little, yes.

#7 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Yeah

#8 Posted by buzz_clik (7011 posts) -

*lil shrug* Can't see why not.

#9 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

Well, it really depends, as you said. I don't think I could go for a flamboyantly gay main character. However, I don't think I would be the target audience for that sort of thing, either. If it is in the "Dumbledore" sense, I would be fine with that. Considering that there is absolutely no hint of Dumbledore's alleged preference in the books, there could be more about this aspect of the game, and I'd still be fine with it. I think it all depends to what level the flamboyance goes (I haven't played GTA IV, so I don't know at what level that is).
I think this is typical of any male, but playing as a gay woman sounds much more comfortable than as a gay man.
Gay leisure suit larry, anyone?
#10 Posted by Jeust (10809 posts) -

I could, if the theme was treated with tact.

#11 Posted by DeanoXD (613 posts) -

if the game is good what does it matter if the lead character is gay or not

#12 Posted by MisterMouse (3563 posts) -

Well I wrote a whole post about how I could understand the use of an openly gay character who isn't flamboyant, as a large majority of gay men are, and how that could be good to see in the gaming world, and then another paragraph about how using a flamboyant gay character could be flirty with the wrong side of humor on how the character was used, but there were problems on the site and I lost all that soo...  

Yeah I would be okay playing an openly gay male where his homosexuality doesn't define him.

#13 Posted by SamFo (1548 posts) -

Marucs Fenix and Dom are homosexual, Gears is awesome. Case closed

#14 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

As long as the game is good, then why not?

#15 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Sexuality as a theme is something that games specifically tend to stay away from, I think it would be very interesting to see something like that explored in an interactive medium, perhaps especially so where the main character openly homosexual.

Or a sequel to Bayonetta starring a flamboyantly gay man, that would be fucking incredible.

#16 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

Ever heard of don't ask don't tell? It will never happen in a shooter

#17 Posted by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

As long as it has good gameplay, story and the character doesn't pretend to be a woman with the voice and the way he dresses.

#18 Posted by Capum15 (4960 posts) -

Yes and yes. First would be like any normal character, and the second would be hilarious. Tony was awesome.

#19 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Gladiator_Games said:

. Personally, I'd find it quite interesting to play a AAA title with a flamboyantly gay character (shooter for bonus points), I'd love to see what sales would be like. What about you fellow Forumners?

Sure. Why the hell not?

Also why flamboyant and shooters? Are you trying to prove something?

#20 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

@jorbear said:

As long as the game is good, then why not?

Well said.

#21 Posted by cooljammer00 (2000 posts) -

I'd like a game where dudebros spend 12 hours or so blowing the heads off enemies and whatnot, a real overly masculine game, and then the character makes out with a dude at the end.

Just cause I think it'd be cool.

#22 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -
@Gladiator_Games: The main protagonist isnt gay in the Ballad of Gay Tony and Tony actually wasnt really flamboyant
#23 Posted by niamahai (1407 posts) -
#24 Posted by Gladiator_Games (447 posts) -
@Dany: Just to see if it can be done mostly. (generalization coming up), I think the shooter crowd would be the hardest to get a homosexual character into. Imagine the insanity that would ensue if Master Chief turned out to be gay? I'd love for a huge budget, Battlefield3/MW3 level shooter, but with a homosexual character, just to see how the sales figures stack up. Would it sell as well as the other shooters? 

Would we get a vollyball scene?
#25 Posted by BruceLeeSoapdish (38 posts) -

If the gameplay is there then yes. If the protagonist is annoying and i can barely stand them then i guess not...but that doesn't have anything to do with their sexual orientation.

#26 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Gladiator_Games said:

@Dany: Just to see if it can be done mostly. (generalization coming up), I think the shooter crowd would be the hardest to get a homosexual character into. Imagine the insanity that would ensue if Master Chief turned out to be gay? I'd love for a huge budget, Battlefield3/MW3 level shooter, but with a homosexual character, just to see how the sales figures stack up. Would it sell as well as the other shooters? Would we get a vollyball scene?

Flamboyancy is not gay.

Having master chief save earth, go to a crowd of civilians and grabbing a guy to kissing him would be awesome. The demeanor i'd like to see in mass effect or in games if it was going to be a relationship should not be any different because it is between two dudes than it would be between a guy/girl.

Obviously if games are going to cover the 'finding self' path then sure but flamboyant gay characters just annoy me.

#27 Edited by SpacePenguin (479 posts) -
@DeanoXD said:

if the game is good what does it matter if the lead character is gay or not

Ye, this.
#28 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

No.
#29 Posted by JoeyRavn (5004 posts) -

Sure, why not. As long as the sexual life, either straight or gay, of the main character is not featured prominently in the game, sure. I actively avoid getting into those awkward sexual encounters in video games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher or, heck, GTA: San Andreas. They are usually so clumsily handed that they make me feel very unconfortable. If it's well-written, meaningful romance, no problem, though.

#30 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5854 posts) -

A character's sexuality is irrelevant to whether I like them or not.

#31 Posted by JeanLuc (3604 posts) -

Sure, I don't see any reason why I wouldn't.

#32 Posted by Gladiator_Games (447 posts) -
@Joeybagad0nutz: Any reason why not?
#33 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I had sex with Zevran for an achievement, so I guess so.

#34 Posted by laserbolts (5341 posts) -

I'd rather not but if the game was really good then I would play it.

#35 Posted by TerraMantis (283 posts) -

If you're talking protagonist then you're talking the actual "character" of...the character. Some of my favorite characters in fiction are gay. Omar from The Wire, Lafayette from True Blood, and one of my favorites was Val Kimer's character in "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang", Gay Perry. If it is an actually well written and intriguing character that is awesome...but you're also talking about in a videogame. So, if the game play is not there then it doesn't matter regardless. First and foremost games have to rely on great-fun game play. The addition of a great-intriguing characters is simply a bonus to what is the most important aspect of gaming.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I feel like I already have.

#37 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

Yes.

#38 Posted by Stonyman65 (2808 posts) -

I don't really care, but if he was over the top queer-eye-for-the-straight-guy kind, I can see how that could be a little off putting and annoying.

#39 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

I would if it was done correctly. There could definitely be an issue of unnecessary stereotyping and if it is not done tastefully, that could be pretty bad. It would also depend on if the game was interesting in other ways. I probably wouldn't play a boring game just for a protagonist with a different sexual orientation.

#40 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -
@Gladiator_Games said:
@Joeybagad0nutz: Any reason why not?

If the entire focus of this game is that the character is gay, then no I wouldn't. But, if there was an actual story to it, I probably would play as long as it looks cool.
#41 Posted by crusader8463 (14426 posts) -

As long as it's something that interests me.

#42 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2193 posts) -

I watch movies and TV shows about gay people, so why not?(Also, I've played the Dragon Age games)

#43 Posted by MetalBaofu (1429 posts) -

Yes.  I couldn't care less about a character's sexual preference.  All I care about is if the game is fun or not.

#44 Posted by HatKing (6059 posts) -

Like others have said, if the game plays well.  I'd like to see a game flirt with real social issues other than 'terrorism is bad.'

#45 Posted by The_Nubster (2315 posts) -

I wouldn't have any problem. Maybe a developer would mention it in marketing to get the acceptance of the gay community (just like JK Rowling and Dumbledore!), but if the character was delved into and there were issues and problems related that were handled maturely, it would be fantastic. Like Catherine but gay and without block puzzles. Not saying I have anything against the block puzzles though.

#46 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

I wouldn't have any problem. Maybe a developer would mention it in marketing to get the acceptance of the gay community (just like JK Rowling and Dumbledore!), but if the character was delved into and there were issues and problems related that were handled maturely, it would be fantastic. Like Catherine but gay and without block puzzles. Not saying I have anything against the block puzzles though.

wasn't one of the drinking buddies you could save gay? Archie or whatever

#47 Posted by EveretteScott (1537 posts) -
@Vinny_Says said:

Ever heard of don't ask don't tell? It will never happen in a shooter

=/
#48 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Never, no offense Ryan

#49 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

As long as he isn't flamboyant and I don't have to see him kiss/grope a man.

#50 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -
@Laketown said:

@The_Nubster said:

wasn't one of the drinking buddies you could save gay? Archie or whatever

No, he wasn't gay. None of the characters in Catherine were gay.