You can never go back (game nostalgia gone bad)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Not every game is a timeless classic like Super Mario World or Ms. Pac-Man sometimes the passing of time renders some of your favorite games nearly unplayable. Which of your childhood favorites are now unplayable ?  Here are a few of my favorites as a kid:
Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage(Genesis/SNES) - What is not to love? It came on a red cartridge and you could play as Venom. Unfortunately it is a button mashey brawler that gets extremely boring after the third stage.
Kingdom Heart 1 and 2 - As a teen I loved the odd mix of Final Fantasy and Disney in an action-rpg setting.  When I tried to play the games last year I was taken back at how awkward  it was to cast spells and how sappy and needlessly confusing the plot was especially in 2. Top that off with the fact that you play as possible the most annoying protagonist in video game history and that you have all these awesome characters join your party that you can't control. I would of killed to swap out Sora for Auron, Jack Sparrow, or Donald Duck.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

I also agree Maximum Carnage isn't particularly good.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Alex_V

Not every game is a timeless classic - I agree. The ones you mention aren't. But many are.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain

I hated KH 1 and 2 when they were new, so w/e. Also, how are they childhood games? Unless you're like 14... 

Unplayable? Hmmm, I don't know, a fair few have aged badly but I guess the only one i'd argue is downright unplayable would be Castlevania (N64) or perhaps the original SFII. Not because it's a bad game, not at all, but because the later versions of it make it utterly obsolete. 

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob
@The_A_Drain said:
"or perhaps the original SFII. Not because it's a bad game, not at all, but because the later versions of it make it utterly obsolete.  "
Its still played in tournaments, you know.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain
@MysteriousBob said:
" @The_A_Drain said:
"or perhaps the original SFII. Not because it's a bad game, not at all, but because the later versions of it make it utterly obsolete.  "
Its still played in tournaments, you know. "
I know :) I don't consider it anywhere near close to being a bad game, it's still fucking awesome to this day. Just, in my mind Super Turbo is the definitive version and the version I will always take over any of the previous ones.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

Tekken. I used to play it with my brother for hours on end and it was an absolute blast, but if I go back to it now, all I can think of is how stiff, clunky and mashy it is.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@MysteriousBob said:
" @The_A_Drain said:
Its still played in tournaments, you know. "
He's referring to the original, original version of SFII. The one with only 8 selectable characters, most of whom didn't have all of their moves of today. Skip to Super Turbo, the 5th one and there are 17 characters with all the special moves they have in modern times. That's the one they play in tournaments, unless they play HD Remix now or something.

Are there games that age badly? Yes. However, none of my childhood favorites can be considered unplayable. But, Donkey Kong 64 meets your standards, in any case. It combines the worst of collectathon gaming (Guinness World Record for most collectible items in a single game), annoying minigames, and overly large environments frustrated by the fact that you have to switch to a different kong for each different puzzle. I tried playing it a few years ago and it was a mess.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By AuthenticM

I'd say Final Fantasy VI through X are classics. I'm sure I'll replay these games in 10 years from now. Especially X.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ninjakiller
@Icemael said:
" Tekken. I used to play it with my brother for hours on end and it was an absolute blast, but if I go back to it now, all I can think of is how stiff, clunky and mashy it is. "
   I used to play this game all the time with my friend.  I popped it in like a year ago, and couldn't believe how badly it played and looked. 
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11  Edited By Icemael
@ninjakiller said:
" @Icemael said:
" Tekken. I used to play it with my brother for hours on end and it was an absolute blast, but if I go back to it now, all I can think of is how stiff, clunky and mashy it is. "
I used to play this game all the time with my friend.  I popped it in like a year ago, and couldn't believe how badly it played and looked.  "
Yeah. Me and my brother popped it in a couple of months ago for nostalgia, and after two matches, we just couldn't keep playing. So terrible.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@AuthenticM said:
" I'd say Final Fantasy VI through X are classics. I'm sure I'll replay these games in 10 years from now. Especially X. "
Got to disagree there, IV, V and VI still stand up great.  VII is already showing its age.  It's one of those early 3D games with really horrible graphics, the character models inparticular, and the translation is attrocious.  It's not really something I noticed back in the day, but playing through it again I realised how little of the story makes sense.  Sometimes even just the sentances characters say are barley in English.

VIII and IX suffer from these problems less so, but I wasn't a fan of X at all.  Especially now that we're seeing games become more seriously written, I think FFX, along with the Kingdom Hearts games comes over extremely melodramatic and cheesy.  Again, it's the type of thing that might seem 'cool' when you're a teenager but I really just find these games childish and immature.  And I do really mean that in the worst possible sense, I'm not someone who believes games/movies need to be violent, two of my favourite games of all time are Pokemon and Lego Star Wars.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Jeust
@MysteriousBob said:
" I also agree Maximum Carnage isn't particularly good. "
still was fun for me... 
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried playing Tiberian Sun again a few years back. It was truly cringe worthy. Also, GTA Vice City. It's not even that old but I already consider it to be completely unplayable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@S0ndor: You think Vice City is unplayable try GTA 3. The jump in quality of game play from 3 to Vice City is crazy.
From as early as last generation I have to add Star Wars: Knights of Old Republic. The story is still awesome but the combat system is buggy, the morality of the choices really leave no shades of gray and the graphics look butt ugly. 
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Rhaknar
@AuthenticM said:
" I'd say Final Fantasy VI through X are classics. I'm sure I'll replay these games in 10 years from now. Especially X. "
FF7 doesnt hold up AT ALL. Then again its a known fact that 2d games hold up much better than early 3d ones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't like the faceless Popeye arm people of Final Fantasy?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Rhaknar said:
" @AuthenticM said:
FF7 doesnt hold up AT ALL. Then again its a known fact that 2d games hold up much better than early 3d ones "
Graphically maybe not, but as a whole it's still a fucking great game, I defy anyone who says otherwise. And yes, i've played it (all the way through) within the last 18 months.
Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mistzero

ff7 is way overrated the story was either translated very poorly or was by nature confusing.  the graphics definitely does not hold up this one is definitely unplayable.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sixghost
@Rhaknar said:

" @AuthenticM said:

FF7 doesnt hold up AT ALL. Then again its a known fact that 2d games hold up much better than early 3d ones "
Sure it does, I'm playing through FF7 for the first time right now and am loving it. People need to stop confusing "the graphics look crappy" with "the game doesn't hold up", there's more to it than graphics. If you want to talk about FF games that don't hold up, go check out the ones before 6. Those are virtually unplayable to me. I tried playing FF4 on the DS and never got past 10-15 hours in, it barely even resembles a FF game.
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I found Maximum Carnage playable(played it last year) it was just ridiculously difficult for me. I think being unable to go back is one of those things that depends on your mind set. A person like that probably wouldn't play a Wii game because of lack of achievements/trophies. I'm currently trying to play through Fallout 1. It's incredibly archaic but it's interesting to discover a world I never played growing up. Do I get pissed and turn off the game when 20 scorpions gang up on me? Yes, but underneath the weird aesthetic is a decent game to discover. So, I think any game is still playable, it's just you need to get into the mindset to want to play it.