Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve
Ready to go!
Ready to go!

Here is the obligatory "first day of my internshIp" blog. Gentlemen such as Nick (Babylonian) and Ben (GlenTennis) have done a great job at letting you guys peak behind the curtain through videos, photos on Facebook, and plenty of blogs. My experience? Let me tell you a tale...

My internship was no secret. Even before day 1 of work, I got a voluminous amount of PMs asking about how getting an internship works. The most imperative skill isn't video skills or even giving the staff "favors", it's simply not being crazy and an active community member. Or at least that's the impression I got. Being able to fit in and contribute to the office environment is just as key as work ethic or talent. Ethan gave me the impression a plethora of individuals were interviewed for the position. What made me stand out, I probably couldn't tell you. I guess Ethan didn't think I was crazy or perhaps had the right kind of crazy in me.

Rorie love puppies!
Rorie love puppies!

How this job interferes with my military life is actually very surprising. One of our sister Infantry units (37th Combat Brigade Team) is deploying to Afghanistan at a time I'm not too sure I'm allowed to display publicly, yet. However, lets just say I'll be turning 21 out of country. My unit recently returned from Iraq. The current standard is all soldiers returning from combat cannot be forced to deploy within 15 months of returning home. My Commander was tasked with providing our sister unit with 5 Scouts (my job), all volunteers. I cannot simply leave duty for an entire summer without a good fucking reason.

Rockin' chat
Rockin' chat

Once Ethan green-lit my interview, I made a deal with my commander that I will volunteer for the deployment in return for the leave time. I thought he would tell me to fuck-off and call me a jackass for trying to "strike a deal" with an Officer. Surprisingly, he thought my commitment to my civilian goals was impressive and let me do my thing in return of 12 months in Afghanistan. Deploying is something I want to do and I'm excited for the career possibilities.

Finding a place to stay in San Francisco is virtually impossible. Despite Craigslist being littered with over 100 new room rental ads a day, I can't get any replies. I even moved beyond the point of reading people's ads and simply spam my generic letter of a room request to every Craigslist poster. I thought I would have to get at least one real response. That was a big fat negative. Since I got in the city, I have been staying with Whiskey Media King-Intern, Matt Kessler. I'm super appreciative of him letting a stranger in his home and he even gave guest passes to his gym. We've got along fantastically. He totally lives in a shady-ass section of San Francisco. There's a suspicious amount of Asian Massage Parlors open at 10:00pm. Kessler has my thumbs up.

My Bed in the dark corner.

This internship has given me the chance to learn a lot of the city of San Francisco itself. Most importantly, the ladies. Kessler and I agree that the ratio of attractive females vs. attractive males dramatically favors females. The majority of women in this city are beautiful. I might just stay. Another odd thing is the lack of gas stations. I literally have not seen one gas station in the duration of my stay thus far. During my typical day, I do cover several miles of city walking from Kessler's to the Whiskey Media office. The popular use of public transportation aside, there are still a lot of cars in the city. Where the hell do people get gas!?

My desk
My desk

My work day begins at 9am. The first half of the day I dedicate to Anime Vice, mostly. I post trailers, do community stuff, and create promos. The rest of my day mainly revolved around to editing high-priority Comic Vine wikis, then ended with running chat for Happy Hour. The office is surprisingly quit. The bulk of the staff is glued to the monitor and our video team is constantly running back and forth with cables. Will Smith was building some sort of contraption. I think it was an Atom Bomb. The intern's job is to do wiki-related work, create quests, answer the phone, and general odds and ends. The atmosphere is greater than any other workplace I have ever been in. I really enjoyed my time and look forward to continuing my work.

If you have any questions, simply post below. Now I'm going to do change all the images on Anime Vice to characters from Dragon Ball Z. For those of you who think Anime Vice is the neglected step-child of Whiskey Media, let me tell you that I will do everything in my power to transform that site into Dragon Ball Z-Vice. My intern name is apparently CQC-Steve to separate me from Internet-Steve (Lemon).

P.S. If you or someone you know is renting a room out, let me know.

Love,

Steve

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve
Ready to go!
Ready to go!

Here is the obligatory "first day of my internshIp" blog. Gentlemen such as Nick (Babylonian) and Ben (GlenTennis) have done a great job at letting you guys peak behind the curtain through videos, photos on Facebook, and plenty of blogs. My experience? Let me tell you a tale...

My internship was no secret. Even before day 1 of work, I got a voluminous amount of PMs asking about how getting an internship works. The most imperative skill isn't video skills or even giving the staff "favors", it's simply not being crazy and an active community member. Or at least that's the impression I got. Being able to fit in and contribute to the office environment is just as key as work ethic or talent. Ethan gave me the impression a plethora of individuals were interviewed for the position. What made me stand out, I probably couldn't tell you. I guess Ethan didn't think I was crazy or perhaps had the right kind of crazy in me.

Rorie love puppies!
Rorie love puppies!

How this job interferes with my military life is actually very surprising. One of our sister Infantry units (37th Combat Brigade Team) is deploying to Afghanistan at a time I'm not too sure I'm allowed to display publicly, yet. However, lets just say I'll be turning 21 out of country. My unit recently returned from Iraq. The current standard is all soldiers returning from combat cannot be forced to deploy within 15 months of returning home. My Commander was tasked with providing our sister unit with 5 Scouts (my job), all volunteers. I cannot simply leave duty for an entire summer without a good fucking reason.

Rockin' chat
Rockin' chat

Once Ethan green-lit my interview, I made a deal with my commander that I will volunteer for the deployment in return for the leave time. I thought he would tell me to fuck-off and call me a jackass for trying to "strike a deal" with an Officer. Surprisingly, he thought my commitment to my civilian goals was impressive and let me do my thing in return of 12 months in Afghanistan. Deploying is something I want to do and I'm excited for the career possibilities.

Finding a place to stay in San Francisco is virtually impossible. Despite Craigslist being littered with over 100 new room rental ads a day, I can't get any replies. I even moved beyond the point of reading people's ads and simply spam my generic letter of a room request to every Craigslist poster. I thought I would have to get at least one real response. That was a big fat negative. Since I got in the city, I have been staying with Whiskey Media King-Intern, Matt Kessler. I'm super appreciative of him letting a stranger in his home and he even gave guest passes to his gym. We've got along fantastically. He totally lives in a shady-ass section of San Francisco. There's a suspicious amount of Asian Massage Parlors open at 10:00pm. Kessler has my thumbs up.

This internship has given me the chance to learn a lot of the city of San Francisco itself. Most importantly, the ladies. Kessler and I agree that the ratio of attractive females vs. attractive males dramatically favors females. The majority of women in this city are beautiful. I might just stay. Another odd thing is the lack of gas stations. I literally have not seen one gas station in the duration of my stay thus far. During my typical day, I do cover several miles of city walking from Kessler's to the Whiskey Media office. The popular use of public transportation aside, there are still a lot of cars in the city. Where the hell do people get gas!?

My desk
My desk

My work day begins at 9am. The first half of the day I dedicate to Anime Vice, mostly. I post trailers, do community stuff, and create promos. The rest of my day mainly revolved around to editing high-priority Comic Vine wikis, then ended with running chat for Happy Hour. The office is surprisingly quit. The bulk of the staff is glued to the monitor and our video team is constantly running back and forth with cables. Will Smith was building some sort of contraption. I think it was an Atom Bomb. The intern's job is to do wiki-related work, create quests, answer the phone, and general odds and ends. The atmosphere is greater than any other workplace I have ever been in. I really enjoyed my time and look forward to continuing my work.

If you have any questions, simply post below. Now I'm going to do change all the images on Anime Vice to characters from Dragon Ball Z. For those of you who think Anime Vice is the neglected step-child of Whiskey Media, let me tell you that I will do everything in my power to transform that site into Dragon Ball Z-Vice. My intern name is apparently CQC-Steve to separate me from Internet-Steve (Lemon).

P.S. If you or someone you know is renting a room out, let me know.

Love,

Steve

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Dylabaloo

I love your dedication for this internship, its very inspirational for a waster like me, hope you have a great time at the job and also hope it all goes well in Afghanistan!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Awesome blog.  Hope you have a great time out there, and good luck with your military life as well!

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Good stuff! This blog answered two of my questions: how the hell you got off the time to do this, and what interns do about living arrangements.

It's really awesome of Matt to let you stay with him! It's pretty crazy how you'll be deploying so soon, too. Hope everything goes well over there and you make it back safe.

And yeah, I did see a suspicious amount of Asian massage parlors, as well. Shady!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

@Vito_Raliffe:

I will be moving to a Hostel next week though.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@EpicSteve: I always associate hostels with torture now.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EpicSteve

@RiotBananas said:

@Vito_Raliffe said:

@EpicSteve: I always associate hostels with torture now.

Was just about say this.

Wish me luck!

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Aronman789

Is Whiskey Media biased in favor of Steves?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Does Kessler snore? I heard he snores :|

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Pop

These intern blogs are so freaking good, I've read all of them. NOW GET BACK TO WORK INTERNS!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EpicSteve

@Aronman789:

No, but it won't hurt your chances saying your name is Steve on a resume you hand to Ethan if you're interested in getting a job.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

CQC Steve? Does that mean you have one eye missing and regret the first time you saw a girl naked (I doubt Big Boss enjoyed seeing The Boss unrobe, scars and all aside).

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EpicSteve

@Sweep said:

He doesn't sleep. He spends his evening sawing logs for firewood. At least, that's what I hear in my sleep...

@Video_Game_King said:

CQC Steve? Does that mean you have one eye missing and regret the first time you saw a girl naked (I doubt Big Boss enjoyed seeing The Boss unrobe, scars and all aside).

I totally regret the first time I saw a girl naked. For different reasons.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

The East Bay is ten times better than the S.F. Peninsula. The housing market is more affordable here for example.

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EpicSteve said:

@Sweep said:

He doesn't sleep. He spends his evening sawing logs for firewood. At least, that's what I hear in my sleep...

He has a side job at the hostel?

Also, is a hostel the same thing as a motel? (A motel is a small hotel as far as I know, unless there's something else slightly different) I've been confused as to what one actually is, and if it's just around here that the word motel is used.

Motel: Enter your room from the outside.

Hotel: It's al indoors, baby.

Hostel: You share rooms with people (typically bunkbeds). Most visits end with kidnap and torture.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Red12b
@EpicSteve said:

@Sweep said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I totally regret the first time I saw a girl naked. For different reasons.

was it your mom?
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH GOD.  My post has been high-jacked by mods or EpicSteve. 
Also, I never want to stay at a hostel.  Fuck sharing a room with a random dude.  I think I'd rather sleep under a tree.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Jimbo

Well done, mate, you've more than earned your place imo. And look after yourself over there.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Nice stuff yo.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't know why, but I find it somewhat hilarious that Kessler has a gym membership. There is no good reason that should be funny, yet somehow, it is.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By coakroach

I salute you, Steve.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By mike

@ZombiePie said:

The East Bay is ten times better than the S.F. Peninsula. The housing market is more affordable here for example.

Totally...I've lived all over the Bay Area, spent five or six years in the city in various neighborhoods. Never again! It's fun to do once in your life, but it's just not for me.

Reading all of the intern blogs makes me wish this was ten years ago and I was still in college and didn't have a mortgage and a career to worry about.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time allen
@MattyFTM said:

I don't know why, but I find it somewhat hilarious that Kessler has a gym membership. There is no good reason that should be funny, yet somehow, it is.

might have something to do with his overt fatness 
ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By ZimboDK
@Toms115: Oi! He's festively plump.

Also, does Rorie actually get any work done when there are dogs in the office?
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Red12b
@Toms115 said:
@MattyFTM said:

Class 

Good on him for doing something about it, If people are trying to get healthy I don't get people who still decide to berate them, more power to Kessler, I just hope he continues with whatever training he is doing,  

I would like to see what the shape of the people who give Kessler shit all the time, and if it's some sort of power trip or whether they're just pricks.
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Elazul

Man, Kessler's an absolute fucking legend. I mean, really, that's super cool of him to let you stay there. Oh and congrats on the internship, dude. Hope you're enjoying it so far!

Also, I just got an Emerson CQC-14 which shall henceforth be know as CQC-STEVE. I just need to come up with an appropriate acronym for it that spells out STEVE.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Grissefar

So how is Vinny? Is he really the lovable Jesus figure he appears to be?

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By time allen
@Red12b: i just pointed out that he's fat, and that that might be why the idea of him having a gym membership would be funny. you can't just make shit up and white knight it.
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By beforet

This thread got weird.

Luck to you, CQC-Steve. Whiskey Media seems like a blast to intern for.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@MattyFTM said:

Haha yeah.

Anyway congrats dude, hope you find somewhere to stay. GLHB

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By csl316

CQC, nice. Congrats and good luck!

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TehFlan

They managed to give you a cooler nickname than Epic Steve. I'm impressed.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By Claude

You're basically homeless.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RobotHamster

Kessler has a gym membership?

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By George_Hukas

Wish I could help.. and I totally have an empty room too, but there's nowhere to sleep because its empty, except for a creepy, haunted carousel horse in the corner. I don't go in there anymore.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By laserbolts
Congrats on the internship. I'm pretty jealous right now except for the whole being homeless thing. Cheers!
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iam3green

nice, to hear about an internship. it seems like they are fun and learn a lot. i hope that you are having fun. i did an internship at my college. it wasn't too fun. all i did was edit something a little bit, surf the internet for 5 hours. i don't know what i would do if i had to do it for 8 hours.

core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By core1065

BADASS! I love Cav scouts! Anyone who shares my love for Dragon Ball and anything related has my vote. CQC-Steve 2012!

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Driadon

Best to you Recce-CQC-Steve!

Hope you find a better place to sleep than Kessler's cold corner. (or, should I say, Kold Korner?)

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By me3639

Congrats on your internship and thanks again for your service. You always post something worth reading and keep up the good work.

Xsheps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Xsheps
@RiotBananas: I tend to agree, but I think some of the wars now are useful in more of a preventative sense -- that Afghanistan or Libya could turn into WW2 if the US doesn't do anything.   But some of the wikileaks stuff (e.g. collateral death or whatever that video was called) does bring to light a Vietnam-esque aspect of some of the wars.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dany

Wait.

Tell me more about the hot dudes.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Klei
@EpicSteve said: 

I have been staying with Whiskey Media King-Intern, Matt Kessler. I'm super appreciative of him letting a stranger in his home and he even gave guest passes to his gym 

I seriously loled
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By s-a-n-JR

CQC-Steve is the best damn Whiskey Media intern name I've heard thus far.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Binman88
@Red12b said:
@Toms115 said:
@MattyFTM said:

Class  Good on him for doing something about it, If people are trying to get healthy I don't get people who still decide to berate them, more power to Kessler, I just hope he continues with whatever training he is doing,    I would like to see what the shape of the people who give Kessler shit all the time, and if it's some sort of power trip or whether they're just pricks.
Pricks indeed; welcome to the internet I guess, the world of keyboard warriors. 

Congratulations @EpicSteve, you deserve it.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By time allen
@Binman88 said:

@Red12b said:

@Toms115 said:
@MattyFTM said:

Class  Good on him for doing something about it, If people are trying to get healthy I don't get people who still decide to berate them, more power to Kessler, I just hope he continues with whatever training he is doing,    I would like to see what the shape of the people who give Kessler shit all the time, and if it's some sort of power trip or whether they're just pricks.
Pricks indeed; welcome to the internet I guess, the world of keyboard warriors. 

Congratulations @EpicSteve, you deserve it.
kessler's a big boy, i'm sure he can cope with it
xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50  Edited By xpgamer7

That's why I'll probably not be an intern for a few years. I feel like I might be the wrong kind of crazy.

Anyway nice write up! It's nice to see more Kessler news, and you hit the funny right in the bone.