Named VS Nameless RPG Characters

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Zaapp1

Looking for some info here.  Many RPGs these days allow you to name your own protagonist, while others just give him/her whatever name the developers wanted.  Some find a middle ground, such as Mass Effect with "YourNameHere Shepard".  I've always thought that the pre-named character was a much better way to go because in-game characters will actually call him/her out by name in voice acting rather than just using pronouns (ex. "you", "he", "dude").  It also seems to me that games with named characters go further with that character's individual storyline and take steps further than those without, though I'll conceed to the efforts made by Persona 4 and the like.  Obviously, since they're still making many games where you name your own MC, there must be people out there who like/prefer it that way, or perhaps it's much easier on developers.  Could someone who prefers nameless characters explain why?  All thoughts on the matter are welcome.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I guess the popularity of naming your character is that it adds a personal touch to it, therefore making it easier to relate to them.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By atejas

What about The Nameless One?

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

It depends on the RPG. Like, if it were a medieval RPG, I think my name (Carlito Cabada) would be extremely out of place. If a default option is offered, I typically go with that; I could always make up a character name of my own, but I'm terrible when it comes to making a good name. In fact, the only thing about Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor I really disliked was the fact that there wasn't a default character name dished out by the developers. Oh, and character limits play a huge role as well. I was sad to find out that my first name couldn't fit in the PSP remake of the first Final Fantasy.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By DanielJW
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
" It depends on the RPG. Like, if it were a medieval RPG, I think my name (Carlito Cabada) would be extremely out of place. If a default option is offered, I typically go with that; I could always make up a character name of my own, but I'm terrible when it comes to making a good name. In fact, the only thing about Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor I really disliked was the fact that there wasn't a default character name dished out by the developers. Oh, and character limits play a huge role as well. I was sad to find out that my first name couldn't fit in the PSP remake of the first Final Fantasy. "
I just picked up the FF remake for PSP, I can safely say I'm stuck.

I love adding in my own names, I'm not a huge fan of preset names just because it doesn't have a personal feeling. Whereas, even if they say "You!", they're addressing you, and not Thomas Jefferson, for example. I find it kind of takes away from my experience when people call me Thomas all game.
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
@DanielJW: That's sort of an odd thing with me. While I'm fine with naming characters in the first FInal Fantasy or Fallout 3, in other RPGs it feels like the NPCs are breaking the fourth wall.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thecleric

I am for customizing in every game ever.

Unless there's a very specific story the main character has to follow, and their hardly ever is. Look at Final Fantasy? Yeah the main characters are iconic, but those games could have had customization from name to looks(they did have names, but we all know Cloud is Cloud) because honestly, their looks didn't change anything. Cloud could be bald, wouldn't change anything. Most main characters in rpgs are just a way for the player to be 'in' the story.

Some exceptions are Resident Evil, and uhh.. there's some others, I just can't think of them.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Baal_Sagoth
@atejas said:
" What about The Nameless One? "
Exactly! I think that is a good point. TNO has many qualities of an avatar you're supposed to identify with, but is at the same time connected to the game world by an intricate and expansive backstory. It still is the best solution for a RPG-protagonist  I've personally seen to date. 
Other than that my preference changes depending on the game. I like customizable characters in RPGs like Fallout (classic and new), Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights 2, Baldur's Gate, Vampire Bloodlines (different choices, not strictly customization) etc. because it allows me to create the 'person' I want to play most. That most importantly means it is almost guaranteed I won't have to play another stupidly athletic moron or ridiculously sexualized 'babe' or grumpy dwarf or noble elf or any of those damned  lazily written & chlichéd idiots.    
But I also enjoy RPGs with pre-determined protagonists like The Withcer or Gothic. It might be a bit riskier because if the player doesn't like the main figure that can drag down the game significantly...   

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By evilhomer

it was fine before voice-acting became prominent...now it can be odd where a characters wont refer to eachother by name and the script has to be worked around that, i dont mind it much but i never really felt the need to name my characters either

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

When I grew up, RPGs were very personalized since you created a character completely from your own imagination.  As video games incorporated the genre, they moved away from this over time and have now began a return although with some limitations.  If I am playing an RPG, identity is very important to me along side customization.  It's a return to what I remember in my youth.  Naming your character is something that adds to the illusion that I am creating this character.  It makes me feel an immediate connection to the character since I had a hand in forming the protagonist's identity, no matter how slight.  I was never able to form the same level of investment in Final Fantasy X as I was able to form with a Bioware game from the same gaming generation.  When I have no imput to the character's identity, I feel basically as if I am watching someone else's story and not particerpating in creating my own storyline.   I admit that not using the user created name in scripted sequences (that happened in a lot of DQ VIII) can be jarring, so maybe the answer is to go the Mass Effect route and allow you to choose just part of her name.  I know that the limited purchaseable choice list of Fable 2 was equally dissatisfying as any pre-chosen identity like "Cloud".

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I prefer the wRPG method of allowing you to completely create your own character, rather than what's typical in jRPG's were you're playing as a set persona.  There's definitely advantages and disadvantages of both, but I much prefer thinking of the player character as myself, and creating and tweaking him as I see fit, rather than how the game developers think I should be playing.  I wasn't particularly fond of Mass Effects method by allowing you to create and name your own character but always being labeled as "Shepard" anyway..  Surely they could have just refered to you as "Commander"?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Personally sometimes I like to be able to name my character but sometimes I'd like the game to name them for me. I think that in RPGs that are heavier on diaglogue it is much better to have the latter in place, rather than the former; imagine the dialogue of Persona 4 if they'd actually referenced your character by a preset name instead of just refering to you as "senpai" all the time. However I don't feel that the "middle ground" idea really works, I felt that in Mass Effect the fact that all characters refered to me as "Shepard" kind of made it pointless me even entering my own first name as it was hardly ever acknowledged.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

In the age of voice acting it's pretty difficult to implement custom names without arbitrary conceits. The NPCs will never be able to address you by your given name, especially if you pick something like JohnKickassBanana1983 or stuff like  ** >:-O ** or something like  æmæ. What Mass Effect did is kinda silly but the only way to do it, I guess.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By The_A_Drain
@atomic_dumpling said:
"In the age of voice acting it's pretty difficult to implement custom names without arbitrary conceits. The NPCs will never be able to address you by your given name, especially if you pick something like JohnKickassBanana1983 or stuff like  ** >:-O ** or something like  æmæ. What Mass Effect did is kinda silly but the only way to do it, I guess."

I know it's only for one voice actor, and doing it for a ton would use up a ton more disc space, and make some poor conversation designers job a little tedious in places, but GRiD lets you pick from a huge range of common names at the beginning, and the announcer calls you by that name everytime. My name isn't there, but hey what can you do?

This wouldn't strictly speaking be so difficult to do in an RPG, but it would drastically up the amount of storage space needed for all those sound bytes.

That and personally, nameless protaganists ring a little more fondly with me, The Nameless One being a prime example, that and I always call my Fallout characters the default name "NONE"
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust

There is a way... but hard to implement it... 

I generally when playing rpgs, go out with the default name. I prefer much more to experience the game as the character than have the character reshaped to my or the image i want. I like to feel the story and i generally don't like the names i give... 

I played that way final fantasy X, and persona 3, and very much almost all rpgs.

To voice a actual name given by the player isn't impossible but impractical, since you would have to do a lot of work to every npc that  would speak the name. It would become cumbersome, but we're getting there. :)

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By PureRok

I'm indifferent. I find it more annoying when the main character is a silent protagonist. I feel I'm only hearing half of a conversation, as if all of the people are talking on a phone and I'm just listening to their side of it. It irks the hell out of me.

sd_jasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sd_jasper

I like to name my characters.

dancingphlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By dancingphlower

I'll usually go with the default if there is one. If not, I typically use my name.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust
@PureRok said:
 I find it more annoying when the main character is a silent protagonist. I feel I'm only hearing half of a conversation, as if all of the people are talking on a phone and I'm just listening to their side of it. It irks the hell out of me. "
I agree, this is actually much more disturbing to me.  In Mass Effect, when you choose a response, Shepard replies within the conversation.  But in most other RPGs (most being many many many JRPGs) even when you get to choose a reply, you still never hear a voiced response.  I know the excuse that this is so the player has their own voiced response in their head complete with how they think the character should sound, but I think that's a cop out, because in almost all these cases I, as a player, have very little choice when crafting the character anyway.  There is no reason why developers can't add full voiced responses to game situations in this current HD generation.  They have the technology, they can make them better, faster, stronger.
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By themangalist

The only game that i would ever want to name myself is persona4. The people are really like my real-life friends, so i definitely want myself in the story. Otherwise, like Mass Effect, i don't really fancy myself as a space marine flurting alien chicks, so i won't care about my name. Even for KOTOR, i don't care about what my name is.. what i'm doing is usually the "paladin" stuff, so I get loot specific to the "paladin" side.

All in all, it depends on if i feel attached to the setting or not. Developers can't do much for me, but I don't mind the "Hey, how's it going, *Charlie Tunoku*? "

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Deusoma

Star Ocean III did it both ways, actually. You could choose your character's first and last names, and it would appear as such in dialogue boxes, but the voiceovers still blatantly referred to the character as "Fayt Leingod", no matter what you'd called him.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By Suicrat
@Zaapp1: I like the way they did it for Persona4 (and perhaps other Personas). They give you complete control over your name, but then make you the kind of character everyone will refer to with honouriffics, such as "Sensei" (as Teddie does) and "Senpai" (which everyone else does.)

By the way, am I the only one who ever laughs regretfully every time I see the text "Charlie-Chan" in the P4 text windows in Endurance Run?
R3cruit3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By R3cruit3D

Am i the only one that loves naming your own characters a rude word (only if its a bad game, or like pokemon) 'Are you ready to fight Ass' etc.. anyone else? or am i just childish?

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Zaapp1
@R3cruit3D: In the context of making other in-game characters spout hilarious sayings unintentionally, I'm totally with you.  As to forcing that name upon the character you control, that's kind of harsh.
R3cruit3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By R3cruit3D
@Zaapp1: Yeah it's harsh but we're forgetting he's imaginary.