• 84 results
Posted by Hamst3r (4481 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: A Poll About Potential Community Collaborations Musical Or Otherwise (607 votes)

Community Song - Original Recipe 29%
Community Song - Musician Edition 13%
Community Video - AMV Hell / Robot Chicken 14%
Community Quilt - Fuck You This Is Art 10%
Other - I Have A Better Idea 1%
None - Once Was Enough 2%
All of Them - 4 threads, go! 18%
No Vote - See The Results 12%

Hey,

So, I've had the Giant Bomb Community Song on my mind for a while. About a year ago I began preparing for a sequel, putting together some music and video ideas, as well as trying to convince a programmer I know to make a sophisticated recording and uploading web interface thing.

The interface thing never happened and then I got sidetracked by life; moving to a new state and between 3 different houses and all.

Well, the desire to do a mass collaboration is on my mind again, so I'm going to pitch a few ideas here. Let me know what you think of them, or if you have a better idea.

1. Community Song - Original Recipe

Just like the original. You guys provide your voices and I write the music, then put it all in a video.

2. Community Song - Musician Edition

It starts with me (or someone else) providing a few musical elements which can be load into a music program. You then rap, sing, shred and produce noise in any manner you can over the sounds, then share what you've made so other users can do the same. At the end of it all, I'll gather all the elements together, mix them as best I can, and put it all in a video.

3. Community Video - AMV Hell / Robot Chicken

Have you ever seen an AMV Hell or a Robot Chicken episode? The basic idea is to create a video showcasing a series of short non-sequitur scenes. Take a Giant Bomb or Bombcast reference (e.g., Shit Steak, Knife vs. Bat, Chris With The White Car) and do it up any way you can. Animate it, film it, turn it into poetry and pictures. Collaborate with others to add music, sound effects, voices and whatever else you need to complete your short. As far as duration is concerned, shorts should be between 5 and 30 seconds. After which, the shorts will be assembled into one video with transitions.

4. Community Quilt - Fuck You This Is Art

An image quilt. Look at the table below:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

Imagine that with pictures. Pictures that all blend together at the seams. The grid could also be larger, perhaps 10x10. It starts with someone picking an empty square and drawing an image in it. Then another user fills an adjacent square with whatever they want, as long as it blends into the first image. This process repeats until all of the empty blocks are filled. When it's done, we've got a kick-ass wallpaper and poster designed by members of the community.

Discuss

Those are my ideas.

What do you think?

Do you have any better ideas?

(Assess the inclusiveness of your ideas, as the goal is to get as many users involved as possible, skilled or not.)

Also, I don't necessarily have to lead any these projects. If you want to start a quilt thread right now, go ahead! Consider me to have merely planted the seed.

#51 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

The community song was so good! I can't wait to hear the inevitable new one!

#52 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Definitely into the idea of making another one of these (also, if we make one, maybe I'll actually get to contribute this time)

#53 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

All of these sound fantastic. I'm still gutted I missed the first song :c

Would love to contribute to the quilt.

#54 Posted by Sin4profit (2924 posts) -
#55 Posted by MachoFantastico (4650 posts) -

That original one was so awesome, but I'd love to see a second one. Seems fitting somehow.

#56 Posted by Hamst3r (4481 posts) -
#57 Edited by FinalDasa (1616 posts) -

I remember coming oh so close to providing my voice for the first one then procrastinating on it.

It haunts me to this day.

Give me that new chance to record my voice and have it put to amazing music!

#58 Edited by Dalai (7019 posts) -

Call me old-fashioned, but I voted original recipe, but I'd be fine with extra crispy.

#59 Posted by TwoLines (2804 posts) -

Either the Original Recipe (TM, R), or the quilt. Either way- it'll be awesome.

#60 Edited by MattyFTM (14370 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

Original recipe and ALL THE THINGS seem to be winning. Perhaps all is the way to go. :3

I don't think doing all of them at once is a smart idea, but doing one then doing another, then maybe doing another is quite possibly the way to go.

#61 Edited by 49th (2734 posts) -

1 piece original recipe and a robot chicken sounds good!

Those are the two I'd most likely contribute to, provided it's all in the summer when there will be more time. The only problem with doing a video though is that it is a lot more involved than some of the others, you need to make sure people finish their submissions and that they don't look terrible - if it all comes together it could be amazing.

#62 Posted by Gnubberen (765 posts) -

Let's have a big old sing-along. Have members pick a line from "Girls just wanna have fun" make them record them singing the line, and mix it up in one great mess of a song.

I remember being part of one like that on the Gamespot ps3 forums some years back... We sang Snake Eater. Dunno if I still have the finished product lying around...

#63 Edited by Arbie (1449 posts) -

I don't care what you do I just want you to do it. All of those ideas sound good. I'm gonna vote that. Or I might just vote for another song. What will it be? Nobody knows! Muchacha anon voting!

#64 Edited by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

I love all of these ideas. Sadly I missed out on being a part of the original song so hopefully I can be a part of it this time!

#65 Posted by dantey (245 posts) -

I like the "Fuck You This Is Art" idea, because then I can use my 3D modeling skills to make an image, but I also have a microphone so I am down for some HOT MUSIC COLABS, SON! Anyway, awesome idea, duder.

#66 Edited by Claude (16255 posts) -

I voted all, but it seems original recipe is winning. Hope I'm around to catch the next wave. Should be a blast. Stay real Hamst3r.

#67 Posted by Bollard (5447 posts) -

Let's have a big old sing-along. Have members pick a line from "Girls just wanna have fun" make them record them singing the line, and mix it up in one great mess of a song.

Oh my god, this sounds awesome.

#68 Posted by HatKing (5896 posts) -

Whatever it is, I'm in. I don't mind playing a little uke, if we do the instrument thing. And I'd definitely contribute my voice if we redo the old deal. Or, I'll even draw some insane bullshit.

#69 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

Damn, Hamster, you're getting me all hyped. My vote's for either one or two, I'd love to hear a new community song given the success of the last one.

#70 Posted by TheFridge (94 posts) -

Boy has time passed. I'm down for 11 Herbs and Spices anyway they come but my lack of drawing skills limits interaction. Everyone has a voice that can be autotuned. Well, nearly everyone.

#71 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

this is awesome .. im down for anything .. would rather contribute music since my voice is a bland uncharacterful mess of mumbles or some artwork too.. regardlesss wooooo !

#72 Posted by rmanthorp (3913 posts) -

I will say a thing with my voicer.

#73 Posted by Clubvodka (417 posts) -

I have a better idea. Let's crowdsource a baby and have the community raise him/her.

Yes. A thousand times yes.

#74 Posted by Sweep (8845 posts) -

I still have some old models of Vinny/Jeff lying around from when @robster and I were thinking about doing some short CG animations. They aren't rigged, but that's definitely something that could happen.

We should talk, Hammy.

#75 Posted by punkxblaze (2972 posts) -

I've cast my vote in for OG Community Songbash. Maybe this time I would even say a thing for it.

#76 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

Don't give us a sequel man, let the one and only original song shine on in unmatched eternal glory.

Don't ruin The Matrix again!

#77 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Whatever it will be it will be awesome.

#78 Posted by Marzy (675 posts) -

I'd participate this time, if it was Original Recipe, but actual singing I'd just feel embarrassed. XD

#79 Edited by Robster (69 posts) -

@sweep: or I could knock up some new ones, those old ones are rank.

#80 Edited by EdTwo (472 posts) -

i wanna play bass on this track!

#81 Posted by buzz_clik (6971 posts) -

Courtesy of my old nemesis Dr Procrastination, I missed out on contributing my coarse Aussie tones to the OG community song; I'd love the chance to make up for this bad life (in)decision.

#82 Posted by rmanthorp (3913 posts) -

Giant Bomb acapella go.

#83 Edited by LostDonuts (21 posts) -

I can get in touch with Mr H if we need a singer.

#84 Edited by Brendan (7777 posts) -

The second idea sounds fun on paper, but would probably turn out poorly.