deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@jakob187 said:

I'm not a hipster.

I'm an overly critical, opinionated asshole.

When I find myself getting angry at people who are wrong on the Internet, I find it is sometimes helpful to take a deep breath and watch Who's Line is it Anyway? clips on Youtube.

Ahhh, I feel much better...

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By project343

I'm not hip at all. But I tend to dislike stuff that gets more exposure than it deserves while wholly supporting stuff that doesn't get enough exposure.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By billyhoush

I used to be in my late teens and early twenties but grew out of it. It's just another sub culture/life style insecure young adults cling onto. Now I'm just a jaded asshole.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By Red

I like music and movies hipsters like. I consider myself superior over most people because of it. However, the similarities kinda stop there; I dress as neutrally as possible, ensuring no one will ever judge me based on the way I dress (I pretty much always wear a completely uncontroversial shirt and rather loose jeans worn at my waist. I've never worn a v-neck.) I've never listened to a vinyl record or been to a real concert, although that's more out of a lack of funds/space than a hatred for either. The only things I drink are milk and water, and I despise salads. I'm religious, and think capitalism is A-OK. I've never done any drugs, or drank any alcohol nor do I have any desire to.

I wouldn't consider myself a hipster, I'd say I've taken the best parts of the label and turned the rest of it into societal decency. Then again, that phrase in and of itself is perhaps the most pretentious thing I've ever seen, so who knows?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Ben_H

I don't know actually. In a weird way I kinda am,  but I certainly don't fit the definition most people think of. I've always been ahead of trends in music and games by about 6 months or more. I like owning obscure stuff. For example, instead of going to the store like a sane person and buying a case for my iPad, I ordered a custom tweed case from a San Francisco company called Rickshaw (who are amazing. I'm getting a laptop bag next). I also am one of those people who ironically appreciate things. For example, even though I would classify myself as a metal listener, I have a lot of fun listening to 80s pop music or 90s gangster rap. I certainly don't dress like a hipster other than I wear goofy t-shirts like my Eazy-E shirt or my Cookie Monster shirt.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By penguindust

@Marz said:

what's a hipster?

Good question. I really don't know what defines a "hipster" but I see other people accusing other people of being them all the time on the internet. Sometimes it seems that anyone can be a hipster simply by not being like the majority of everyone else.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By iam3green

@Marz said:

what's a hipster?

person who wears thick glasses, shops at cheap clothing stores good will. acts like they are deep, know a lot about art/ photography. says things like i knew that before anyone else, ex: i knew about giantbomb before it became mainstream. i thought (insert something here) was good before it was cool. listens to music that nobody heard of.

no, i don't think i am a hipster. it sucks wearing having to wear glasses because people think they're fake. i have had people ask me if my glasses were fake. i think it's stupid for people to wear fake glasses. one thing though is that i do like some music that people stop listening to. you know how people will listen to something new and then stop listen to them when there is another new artist. well i'll listen to them still.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fb027f94328
deactivated-60fb027f94328

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was the first person on my block to listen to and like Nirvana. Sadly, this just makes me old. Please listen to me hipsters! Seize the day, yolo, whatever . . . for you'll go to bed one night, and wake up the next day in your mid-thirties!!!

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Orbitz89

My glasses are like something Buddy Holly would wear.. I think that's the only "hipster" thing about me.. I dress like I'm in my 40's even though I'm only 23, The point I'm trying to make is that Hipsters appear to me like they dress with some sort of style.. I don't. Also, I usually like things that are mainstream.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By donkeycow

People call me a hipster, but since all the weird things i do, say, wear, enjoy is done genuinely and without a hint of irony, i think that just makes me crazy rather then a hipster.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm not even sure what it means to be a hipster.
Since the mainstream seems fucking intent to slowly push all my (back then) undiscovered bands into the spotlight though I've been called a hipster several times.

Quite sure I'm anything but that however, but bleh, labels.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Video_Game_King

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I'm not even sure what it means to be a hipster.

To be a culturally contrarian douche, from what I have gleaned. Also, a lot of irony.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King: Thanks, not even sure what that translates to into people but the concept is scary enough.
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Deusx

I hate a lot of stuff, now a days that´s apparently being a hipster. I prefer the term cynical asshole.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By mrfizzy

God no, being a hipster is way to mainstream for me.

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Ksaw

@zombiebigfoot said:

I do seem to listen to bands no one's ever heard of..

If you're just way into music and have weird tastes it doesn't make you a hipster. Making a point to only listen the most obscure shit possible ( regardless of quality) and talking about it constantly kinda does though.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Vodun

Hell no, and I find it so exceptionally funny that it's some kind of anti-conformist movement that basically turns them into all the same person. But maybe that's why they like irony?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#69  Edited By Slag

@TaliciaDragonsong: You're not remotely close to being a hipster. That's a very good thing in my opinion. I could see how people could get fooled by your taste in music though.

I've got no problem with hipsters in general, most are well meaning and actually pretty nice like most people. Everybody has flaws man, so I try not to judge too much. I probably have a few friends who are borderline hipsters or recovering ones.

The problem is that Hipsters have a reputation/stereotype for being really really fake. And that I think is what bugs people.

The generalization (true or not) is they tend to be liberal young urbanite rich kids (teens to twenties) that are pretending to be poor. Typically wear scarves, skinny jeans, track suits and glasses, somewhat disheveled appearance. Often smoke. Very judgmental, kinda naive, elitist, insecure, have a general disaffected air, deride anything mainstream or popular. They love Brooklyn, farmer's markets, indie music, thrift shops, ironic t-shirts, PBR and crafting.

parodied pretty well here.

I should note that I don't necessarily think that of them (People are people man), but that is the stereotype of Hipsters seem to have fair or not.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slag: God, I hope my favorite band (Garbage) isn't considered hipster or anything, itll leave me no choice but to murder every single person that defines themselves as hipster. :/
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Slag

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Slag: God, I hope my favorite band (Garbage) isn't considered hipster or anything, itll leave me no choice but to murder every single person that defines themselves as hipster. :/

I think you're good.

Other than the fact I don't think Garbage is that big in the States anymore , I can't imagine why they would be especially since they've had commercial success previously, especially if they are experiencing a comeback in popularity. (btw An important thing to note about Hipsters stereotype is that no Hipster would ever call themselves a "Hipster", as that would be too , I dunno, self aware?.)

Even if they were, anyone who talks to you at all should be able to tell right away you're genuine in your like of Garbage. It's pretty obvious even here. Which instantly makes you not a Hipster. To be one you'd have to like Garbage either ironically or only because others don't. The people who called you a hipster don't know what one is obviously.

Hipsters are kinda silly imho.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slag: They seem to be doing well with their first album since seven years however, every place they perform has been sold out like mad.
They deserve it, Shirley is my idol.

The way you talk about it makes my head spin, too many labels and definitions seriously.
I do get your point, just saying its freaking silly how much thought some people put into having such a state of mind and how they go out their way to complicate such simple and beautiful things like music.

How does one ironically like a band by the way? I'm lost there.
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Slag

@TaliciaDragonsong: @TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Slag: The way you talk about it makes my head spin, too many labels and definitions seriously. I do get your point, just saying its freaking silly how much thought some people put into having such a state of mind and how they go out their way to complicate such simple and beautiful things like music. How does one ironically like a band by the way? I'm lost there.

Ha! don't think I can help you with that one as I don't quite understand it myself.

I just know that they do and that's the way they talk about it when asked. And that's the phrasing they use. I think it may have to do something with liking a band only because it gives you some sort of status with other Hipsters in some way. I think only Hipsters truly understand how it works, but I do know that they usually actually do not in truth like bands they like ironically. They'll jump ship as soon as the band receives any sort of affirmation from somebody else. But most hipsters aren't that extreme about it, it's the really vocal 5% that make the rest look odd.

It's too much effort for me, I want to like music because I like the music. If the mainstream likes it great, if not I don't care. I like what I like.

glad your band is going through a good stretch! That's always fun.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Slag: You double nametagged me, that's such a hipster thing to do!

What you're describing sounds like regular old teens to me however.
You can name them gothics, emo's, hippies, rockers, hardstyle fans (dunno what the english term for those is) or hipsters, they're all just intent on being different and unique (in a bad way).
Its fine to have your own identity but to scream murder and abandon ship when your band gets known or acknowledged reeks of teenage angst.

Art saves, do whatever makes you happy is what I say, you should support your bands and artists as much as you can (if possible), not be angry if they go big.
Everyone wants to go big.
I can understand the fear of losing a band on the other hand, there's always a few bands that change for the worst but even then you just have to accept they're not machines (most of the time) and they change too, as do their tastes and influences.
For that reason I like Powerman 5000, they have quite the array of styles under their belt by now and while I won't say I approve of all their incarnations I've come to love most tracks they made and I'm glad the band decided to pursue their hearts and not the money (or maybe they did, who knows? Either way I'm enjoying their music).
DBagalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By DBagalot

@Deusx said:

I hate a lot of stuff, now a days that´s apparently being a hipster. I prefer the term cynical asshole.

BrainSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BrainSonata

I have an iPad but I'm not sat in a coffee shop so it's okay.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By medacris

I like certain stereotypical "hipster" things, but only because I think they're genuinely good, and I wish more people were fans of them. So I don't consider myself one, personally.

The distinction to me is that a "hipster" likes something only because it's obscure and nobody else knows about it, and once it's popular, they abandon it. To me that doesn't sound like a true fan of something (unless becoming popular completely changes when you loved about it, then it's justified).

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im not a hipster but people call me one......  it doesnt make sense

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By sissylion

I'm a contrarian who dresses horribly. So I guess I'm in limbo.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By zeushbien

It's a meaningless word to me, so no.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By GunnBjorn

I remember in my teenage days I didn't want to be mainstream. So I listened to extreme music, like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, etc. Then some of these bands' popularity went to sky-rocketing heights. I hated them for that, 'cause now I felt like every other 'Ego-Challenged' degenerate! So I listened to even more extreme and obscure music, like (Scandinavian) Death and Black Metal. Okay, you understand what I'm driving at. Ultimately, even these bands gained a fair amount of popularity. And all of a sudden it occurred to me that all artists, no matter what genre, want to sell as much records as possible. Éspecially their record-label! And that's where the desillusion kicked in. It's all about the f-'ing money! And there's nothing wrong with that. : ) As long as what you do, you do with a passion, you're okay in my book. And do you happen to make a million in the process? Well, God bless you!

In short, yeah, I wás a hipster. I só wanted to be different. For the sake of being different. The perennial quest for Identity. And when I grew older, I became more nuanced in my way of thinking. In the end, everything will be exploited. If there's money to be made, the product (yes, from that moment on, you or what you do/have, becomes an IP!) will be pushed by the strong medium of marketing.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Popogeejo

I was a hippster before it was a word and concepts of irony didn't even exist.

two_socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By two_socks

I could probably be called one pretty easily. Don't really care though.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By mtcantor

I listen to Green Day, and unironically love Avatar.

Does that make me an anti-hipster?

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#85  Edited By TehFlan

I have the beard for it, but no.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Silvergun

I'm too employed to be a hipster.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mrpandaman

I subscribe to Community's definition of hipster... "a group of people with hip replacements."

These new age hipsters have got nothing on Leonard.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MrKlorox

Doesn't popularizing something make it hip, and therefore 'spoiled' for hipsters? Skinny jeans and fedoras and 'indie' music have become popularized by hipsters, making those who are into them 'trendies'. The moment of identifying something as hipster is the point where it stops becoming hipster.

edit: Also beards are hipster? I guess it's also hipster to be bald, because beards are for bald men goddamnit.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By tunaburn

no but hipster chicks are usually hot

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By fattony12000

Nope, I'm too dope.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By stonyman65

I'm more of a metalhead than anything else. I just don't have long hair.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Fuck no and I'm proud of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No, but I do like corduroy coats and trilby hats. I like old fashion in general. I have brown hair so brown works with me. And so people think I'm a hipster.

I guess I do like the Arcade Fire and Metric and Feist, but that's just because they're fucking incredible.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By dichemstys

Nope. Although I do have a couple hipster tendencies. I drink tea, like Apple products, enjoy Death Grips, and listen to music on vinyl sometimes.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Chop

I'm not a hipster but I think I could easily be called one by someone who didn't know me.

SilverGalford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SilverGalford

what is a hispter?

Emilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Emilie

Too hipster to be classified as hipster O_O

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Stonyman65

I'm more of a metalhead than anything else. I just don't have long hair.

Same here.
Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

I pretty much exclusively listen to Ska music and rock predating 03' mostly of the 90's era. I also enjoy 90's era gangster rap but don't own much. However I'm not really that heavly into music since they don't make my music anymore. So I'm deathly afraid of mining through all that music. So I very slowly collect music. But the phase that best describes my musical tastes is "All my music is dead." Which sounds incredibly hipster-esqe.

As far as style is concerned I Einstein it with multiple pairs of the same cargo pants that I wear pretty much exclusively. Which seems hipstery since I'm not buying into the jeans conspiracy. However really it's not that much different then most people pretty much exclusively wearing jeans. It's just that I have more room for My Balls and all of these pockets. Also also generally wear internet t-shirts and shirts of the bands I listen to which are mostly Ska which you've probably never heard of. So that's a hipster check. As for hair I'm half black and my hair is best described as "blatrick" it's pretty much Patrick's but more black so it's like +5 better looking and cooler with the added bonus that I can choose to full on afro it when I want to. Basically I can choose when I want to be Funky Student. So that might be hipsterish.

So I could possible be a hipster. But I don't own a Mac or an Ipad and I don't drink Starbucks. So I'm not a hipster.

bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100  Edited By bill

here's a question: did "scene" kids evolve into hipsters?