Barack Obama calls France America's strongest ally.

• 111 results
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By hicks91

Now im not going to be waving my nationalist flag here, im just genuinely seeking American opinion on what the president said 

“We don’t have a stronger friend and stronger ally than Nicolas Sarkozy, and the French people.”    

- Barrack Obama 

In Britain a lot is said of a "special relationship" we enjoy with America, usually by policy makers looking for our vote, but do you all agree france is a closer ally than the UK?
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By hicks91

Now im not going to be waving my nationalist flag here, im just genuinely seeking American opinion on what the president said 

“We don’t have a stronger friend and stronger ally than Nicolas Sarkozy, and the French people.”    

- Barrack Obama 

In Britain a lot is said of a "special relationship" we enjoy with America, usually by policy makers looking for our vote, but do you all agree france is a closer ally than the UK?
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Snipzor

Considering all the shit France has put up with from the Americans (And vice versa), it's safe to say that the relationship between the two countries is quite strong. Like the friendship between two people who actively make fun of each other all the time.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By endaround

1) Canada is closer than anyone 

2) Its just meaningless dribble

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#4  Edited By sammo21
@Snipzor: What shit has France put up with from Americans?  Hell, we let  Charles De Gaulle march through France like he actually rescued France from German occupation. 

#FAIL 

Oh, and no France is not a better ally.  France, up until their last election, was literally ran by a crook and after all of the oil for food stuff he helped the UN dudes pull off that's just something else to complain about.  France was always in their tower nay saying anything America and its allies did.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Before anybody posts something dumb about France being full of pussies, let me remind you that Napoleon was French. Also, Charlemagne. Yea. Think about that.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

france is full of pussies

Avatar image for delicious_brains
Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Delicious_Brains

Hurr hurr French people

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blueduck
@lilburtonboy7489 said:
" france is full of pussies "  

without France there would be no America
Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Aetos

No. I would say the UK is a much closer ally than France.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By EpicSteve

From a military standpoint it's arguably Canada or the U.K. considering the reliable alliance they've had for a long time and that both of those countries have supplied the most troops in several wars.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Azteck
@Video_Game_King said:
" Before anybody posts something dumb about France being full of pussies, let me remind you that Napoleon was French. Also, Charlemagne. Yea. Think about that. "
@lilburtonboy7489 said:
Let me re-introduce you two.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@blueduck said:
" @lilburtonboy7489 said:
 without France there would be no America "
and without america there would be no france?
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13  Edited By turboman
@Azteck said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Before anybody posts something dumb about France being full of pussies, let me remind you that Napoleon was French. Also, Charlemagne. Yea. Think about that. "
@lilburtonboy7489 said:
Let me re-introduce you two. "
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By melcene
@hicks91: Part of me is surprised that he would say something like that.  But then again part of me not so much.  Politicians say anything to make people happy, and apparently right now, that's what his constituents want I guess.  But no, I don't agree with it at all.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By laserbolts

You would think it would be Canada.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hicks91

I'm going to refrain from giving my opinion as it may taint what you bros think and im actually going to be using this but just some thoughts to consider 

events that happened 200 years ago are irrelevant, id say the latest id stretch would be world war 2

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AndyPhifer

When you're eating dinner at someone's house you tell them how nice their furniture and how pretty the carpet is. You hang out at someone else's house and say the same thing. The dude is sitting right next to him. He's not going to say, "Hey, we like you, but Canada is so much cooler than you."
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slaker117

The French made Assassin's Creed so they're good in my book. Though the French characters in AC:B were dicks. Weird.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo

Not surprising really, Obama has been trolling the UK since he took office.

SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SuperBuster

As an American citizen I consider the U.K. to be our greatest ally owing to the amount of troops they sent to support us in our conflicts, to the bond that was formed during WWII, and to a common language. Maybe the president knows something I don't know that would change my mind, maybe he's just trying to pander for more support.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Djeffers03
@Jimbo said:
" Not surprising really, Obama has been trolling the UK since he took office. "
This.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FourWude

Don't worry Britain is the US' poodle. This "special relationship" isn't about to change anytime soon.

Coalition of the Willing should be renamed Coalition of the Willing to Bankrupt themselves the quickest.

If you Brits had an ounce of sense, which you don't, but if you did, you should be happy at the widening gulf between the UK and the US and to an independent foreign policy.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Slaker117

Hint: It was a throw away statement made by a politician in a diplomatic context. It doesn't mean anything. He was sucking up because that's what you do.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FourWude
@SuperBuster said:

" As an American citizen I consider the U.K. to be our greatest ally owing to the amount of troops they sent to support us in our conflicts, to the bond that was formed during WWII, and to a common language. Maybe the president knows something I don't know that would change my mind, maybe he's just trying to pander for more support. "

Maybe Obama knows Sarkozy is a Mossad agent and the US still bows down to Zionist interests. This piece of "news" was reported by Le Figaro a leading French National Newspaper. The original news broke in 2007, and was pretty much proven to be true later in 2010.  It's not a conspiracy theory anymore. Sarkozy worked for Mossad early in his career and to the best of the obtained knowledge he never formally left the organization.  In France it's pretty much common knowledge these days.

Sorry if I put too much truth into this post for some people. 

P.S. I'd just like to point out that if you're Israeli and work for Mossad, that's one thing, you're perfectly entitled to work for such an organisation. If you happen to be a FRENCH politician and especially the French Premier, working for a foreign institution with a history such as the one Mossad has, then that is NOT on. Especially when you've had to lie about your background and the interests you work for.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hamz

That 'special' relationship between the US and UK often makes me think of the latter country as being the needy girlfriend that constantly has to be reassured every hour that her boyfriend genuinely loves her and is happy to be with her. But secretly he feels that if he'd known how needy she was he would never have gotten so seriously involved. 

You can't knock Obama and America in general for extending the hand of friendship toward other European powers.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Detrian

America has no allies and it's all just an illusion of compromise.

Like someone who has to put up with a giant, retarded chimp.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thegoldencat7

Well Obama seems to think of David Cameron as a bit of a spineless moron.  
And to be fair, he has a point.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 02sfraser

The UK is Americas closest ally. Politicians say a lot of things but I wouldn't take them all literally.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rockdalf
@02sfraser said:
" The UK is Americas closest ally. Politicians say a lot of things but I wouldn't take them all literally. "
Bah!  Everyone knows our closest ally is McDonalds.
vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#30  Edited By vager

America's closet ally is the one that agree's with them on that day. 
I've heard many countries get called America's closet ally.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By napalm

I feel there is more context to the OPs quote rather than just the sentence they posted.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai
@Jimbo said:
Not just the UK. Obama is just as shit as Bush was. The only reason he got elected is because of that whole issue about him being the "first black guy with a real chance at winning".  Now that dust has settled America can see how bad of a president he is. I really hope he won't get elected again. He's a democrat in name only. 
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hicks91
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ch3burashka

Keep your friends close. 

Keep your enemies closer...

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By august
@Slaker117 said:
" Hint: It was a throw away statement made by a politician in a diplomatic context. It doesn't mean anything. He was sucking up because that's what you do. "
What this guy said. If you think this shit is important, you have too damn much free time.
wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#36  Edited By wwfundertaker

@lilburtonboy7489 said:

Totally agree.
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hicks91
@august said:
" @Slaker117 said:
" Hint: It was a throw away statement made by a politician in a diplomatic context. It doesn't mean anything. He was sucking up because that's what you do. "
What this guy said. If you think this shit is important, you have too damn much free time. "
Well when a country has 10 000 troops deployed in the harshest environments in support of a foreign powers war, country a may expect country b to be at least a bit greatful
Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pessh
@Mordukai said:
" @Jimbo said:
Not just the UK. Obama is just as shit as Bush was. The only reason he got elected is because of that whole issue about him being the "first black guy with a real chance at winning".  Now that dust has settled America can see how bad of a president he is. I really hope he won't get elected again. He's a democrat in name only.  "   
RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By RTSlord
@hicks91: Dude, the first rule of being a politician is that you have to constantly have either lies/bullshit/or some sort of ego-stroke/bluster coming out of your mouth
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#40  Edited By sammo21
@FourWude: Zionist huh?  Before you edited your post, you sounded pretty antisemitic. 

Also, I noticed my previous comment was deleted with no alert as to why.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Afroman269

Only thing worthwhile that came from France is Daft Punk.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By napalm
@hicks91 said:
" @Napalm said:

" I feel there is more context to the OPs quote rather than just the sentence they posted. "

here are some British newspaper articles on the thing 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/01/12/barack-obama-snubs-britain-by-saying-france-is-his-biggest-ally-115875-22842843/  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1346315/Obamas-right-There-special-relationship-Britain.html "
Like I said, there's more to that one quote, and that doesn't mean two or three contextless quotes are any different.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FourWude
@sammo21 said:
" @FourWude: Zionist huh?  Before you edited your post, you sounded pretty antisemitic.  Also, I noticed my previous comment was deleted with no alert as to why. "

I have no idea what you read, but I used the word ZIONIST right from the start. Mossad is a Zionist organisation. That's a factual statement devoid of any normative values. At no point did I ever use any word other than Zionist.

As for Sarkozy's allegiance, the reports from what I can remember were not only reported in Le Figaro, I actually came across them first by either The Independent or The Guardian in the UK. 

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Famov
@FourWude said:

Maybe Obama knows Sarkozy is a Mossad agent and the US still bows down to Zionist interests. This piece of "news" was reported by Le Figaro a leading French National Newspaper. The original news broke in 2007, and was pretty much proven to be true later in 2010.  It's not a conspiracy theory anymore. Sarkozy worked for Mossad early in his career and to the best of the obtained knowledge he never formally left the organization.  In France it's pretty much common knowledge these days.

Sorry if I put too much truth into this post for some people. 

P.S. I'd just like to point out that if you're Israeli and work for Mossad, that's one thing, you're perfectly entitled to work for such an organisation. If you happen to be a FRENCH politician and especially the French Premier, working for a foreign institution with a history such as the one Mossad has, then that is NOT on. Especially when you've had to lie about your background and the interests you work for.

"

The Le Figaro article is roughly translated to "The Strange Accusations of a Cyber Informer" ("Les étranges accusations d'un cybercorbeau"), and it hardly makes a definitive statement. Now, this being the piece from 2007, I'm curious what your 2010 proof is. No major news sources I can find have since reported on it, though the story did see plenty of life on conspiracy and Islamic websites.
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By FreakAche
@Slaker117 said:
" The French made Assassin's Creed so they're good in my book. Though the French characters in AC:B were dicks. Weird. "
Assassin's Creed was made by French Canadians, who are actually significantly different culturally from both France and the rest of Canada.
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hicks91

@FourWude:  

and certain members of the american e-press accussed Obama of being satan himself but that hardly makes it true     
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jeffsekai

Trololololololololololololololololololololol

Avatar image for harvey_the_pooka
harvey_the_pooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By harvey_the_pooka

Nicolas Sarkozy is an adulterous pimp. He is a bitch.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PillClinton
@sammo21 said:
" @Snipzor: What shit has France put up with from Americans?  Hell, we let  Charles De Gaulle march through France like he actually rescued France from German occupation.  #FAIL  Oh, and no France is not a better ally.  France, up until their last election, was literally ran by a crook and after all of the oil for food stuff he helped the UN dudes pull off that's just something else to complain about.  France was always in their tower nay saying anything America and its allies did. "
And America was never/is not run by crooks?  Oh, ok. 

Anyway, I'd say without hesitation that Canada and the UK are closer allies than France.
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By themangalist

If Obama goes to Uk, he'd say the same. If Obama goes to Canada, he'd say the same. If Obama goes to China, he'd say the same. If Obama goes to Japan, he'd say the same.