Bruce's Top "Long Songs" What are yours?

• 70 results
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce

Long songs are hard to digest. Most of my favorite rarely exceed four minutes, but for those that do, it's usually due to an epic nature that warrants a long ass run time. I know that this thread is going to attract a ton of "Zeppelin" type answers, so let me list mine:

1. Purple Rain - Prince (8:41)

The guitar towards the end shows Prince's musicanship and the build up leading up to it is genius.

2. Heroin - The Velvet Underground (7:13)

Lou Reed takes you through a drug-induced noise adventure that will surely make you feel like you've been taking the drug for the seven minutes it lasts.

3. Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (6:54)

Just under seven minutes, Buckley's swan song was a loose cover of an old Leonard Cohen song that big time Cohen buffs weren't too fond of to begin with. The vocal on this song is worth listening to throughout.

4. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode (6:13)

Continuing with our theme of Heroin use, Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" packs a ton of the repetitious synth that Violator was known for, every now and then gracing us with one of the best hooks in the history of music, "All I ever wanted, all I ever needed, is here, in my arms."

5. The New - Interpol (6:07)

Leave it to Interpol's Carlos D to lure you into a false sense of security. His soft bass combines with Banks' soft vocal until they decide to go back to being Interpol halfway into it and the song erupts into craziness following a tense pause that sounds like a heart pulsing.

6. Blind - Hercules and Love Affair (6:18)

Antony from Antony and the Johnsons decides to show you why he loves disco: I've always loved Antony's voice, but hated the music he often surrounds it with. Blind's vintage disco style suits Antony perfectly, meshing to create what was the best dance song of 2008.

7. The Killing Moon - Echo & the Bunnymen (5:47)

Ok, it's not THAT long, but at nearly six minutes, it's the longest 80's Post-Punk track that I seem to care for. I can think of a few Joy Division songs that top the five minute mark, but none really do as much with the time as Killing Moon. Almost a cliche amongst Post-Punk fans, its chorus is the defining moment, "Fate, up against your will, through the thick and thin; you will wait until, you give yourself to him." I don't mind hearing that for nearly six minutes in addition to the wonderful instrumentation.

8. The Carnival is Over - Dead can Dance (5:28)

Maybe the title of this blog should be "Bruce bends the rules for the sake of listing Post-Punk songs he likes." But anyway, The Carnival is Over is the best Dead can Dance track that will ever occupy your time; and it makes the list by being a song that I ALWAYS listen to at least twice in a row. My favorite moment, (Despite the whole thing being fucking brilliant) is the nod to Joy Division through the lyric, "The procession moves on, the shouting is over, the fabolous freaks are leaving town." Which, minus the fabulous freaks part, is a lyric taken straight from Joy Division's "The Eternal" if I can remember correctly.

9. All my Friends/Someone Great - LCD Soundsystem (7:37) and (6:26)

"You can sleep on the plane, or review what you said." A lyric that my ex should take to heart. Anyway, James Murphy's magnum opus if he ever had one is All my Friends. I've blogged in the past my love for this record so let me move on to "Someone Great". Whether you've lost a family member, or been in a hurtful relationship, this song will strike a loud chord with you. It seems that when Murphy wants to, he can ditch his dance-punk nonsense and really pull the strings on our emotions. It's a shame he only decided to do that three times on Sound of Silver.

10. Veridis Quo - Daft Punk (5:50)

I love Daft Punk. I'll say it again, I love Daft Punk. Discovery is in my top five albums of MY YEARS ON EARTH (18 if you're wondering) and I cannot get enough of that album whenever I'm in a mood for 2001 nostalgia. Veridis Quo is actually a combination of two other great DP songs, Something about Us, and Voyager. DP altered the pitch of both, reversed them, and born was Veridis Quo. While somewhat short at barely under six minutes, it takes you through a journey that is well enhanced by a nice set of HD speakers; this is ambient/house at its very best.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce

Long songs are hard to digest. Most of my favorite rarely exceed four minutes, but for those that do, it's usually due to an epic nature that warrants a long ass run time. I know that this thread is going to attract a ton of "Zeppelin" type answers, so let me list mine:

1. Purple Rain - Prince (8:41)

The guitar towards the end shows Prince's musicanship and the build up leading up to it is genius.

2. Heroin - The Velvet Underground (7:13)

Lou Reed takes you through a drug-induced noise adventure that will surely make you feel like you've been taking the drug for the seven minutes it lasts.

3. Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (6:54)

Just under seven minutes, Buckley's swan song was a loose cover of an old Leonard Cohen song that big time Cohen buffs weren't too fond of to begin with. The vocal on this song is worth listening to throughout.

4. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode (6:13)

Continuing with our theme of Heroin use, Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" packs a ton of the repetitious synth that Violator was known for, every now and then gracing us with one of the best hooks in the history of music, "All I ever wanted, all I ever needed, is here, in my arms."

5. The New - Interpol (6:07)

Leave it to Interpol's Carlos D to lure you into a false sense of security. His soft bass combines with Banks' soft vocal until they decide to go back to being Interpol halfway into it and the song erupts into craziness following a tense pause that sounds like a heart pulsing.

6. Blind - Hercules and Love Affair (6:18)

Antony from Antony and the Johnsons decides to show you why he loves disco: I've always loved Antony's voice, but hated the music he often surrounds it with. Blind's vintage disco style suits Antony perfectly, meshing to create what was the best dance song of 2008.

7. The Killing Moon - Echo & the Bunnymen (5:47)

Ok, it's not THAT long, but at nearly six minutes, it's the longest 80's Post-Punk track that I seem to care for. I can think of a few Joy Division songs that top the five minute mark, but none really do as much with the time as Killing Moon. Almost a cliche amongst Post-Punk fans, its chorus is the defining moment, "Fate, up against your will, through the thick and thin; you will wait until, you give yourself to him." I don't mind hearing that for nearly six minutes in addition to the wonderful instrumentation.

8. The Carnival is Over - Dead can Dance (5:28)

Maybe the title of this blog should be "Bruce bends the rules for the sake of listing Post-Punk songs he likes." But anyway, The Carnival is Over is the best Dead can Dance track that will ever occupy your time; and it makes the list by being a song that I ALWAYS listen to at least twice in a row. My favorite moment, (Despite the whole thing being fucking brilliant) is the nod to Joy Division through the lyric, "The procession moves on, the shouting is over, the fabolous freaks are leaving town." Which, minus the fabulous freaks part, is a lyric taken straight from Joy Division's "The Eternal" if I can remember correctly.

9. All my Friends/Someone Great - LCD Soundsystem (7:37) and (6:26)

"You can sleep on the plane, or review what you said." A lyric that my ex should take to heart. Anyway, James Murphy's magnum opus if he ever had one is All my Friends. I've blogged in the past my love for this record so let me move on to "Someone Great". Whether you've lost a family member, or been in a hurtful relationship, this song will strike a loud chord with you. It seems that when Murphy wants to, he can ditch his dance-punk nonsense and really pull the strings on our emotions. It's a shame he only decided to do that three times on Sound of Silver.

10. Veridis Quo - Daft Punk (5:50)

I love Daft Punk. I'll say it again, I love Daft Punk. Discovery is in my top five albums of MY YEARS ON EARTH (18 if you're wondering) and I cannot get enough of that album whenever I'm in a mood for 2001 nostalgia. Veridis Quo is actually a combination of two other great DP songs, Something about Us, and Voyager. DP altered the pitch of both, reversed them, and born was Veridis Quo. While somewhat short at barely under six minutes, it takes you through a journey that is well enhanced by a nice set of HD speakers; this is ambient/house at its very best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Delirium Cordia - Fantômas (1:14:17)

Over an hour of Mike Patton making the sounds of surgery without anesthesia.
I'm not sure what I'd consider more experimental, this or Suspended Animation.
You should at least try listening to it. Very interesting stuff.

I'm too lazy to make a list at the moment.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (part 1) - Pink Floyd  [13:31]

Echoes - Pink Floyd [23:28]
Dogs - Pink Floyd [17:05]
Octavarium - Dream Theater [24:00]

and the best of all : BLACK ROSE IMMORTAL - OPETH [20:15]

P.S. i love tons of 6-11 minute songs, mostly 6-10 mins long by Metallica or 9-13 mins long by Opeth.... they arent really considered long.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bruce
@Ahmad_Metallic:

I intentionally left Pink Floyd off the list as long does not really fit some of their early stuff.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By dethfish

I love long songs, preferably between 7 and 10 minutes. Some of those 20+ minute songs are too long for me. I've got other things to do...like listen to other songs.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Iron Maiden [13:34]

Funeral Hymn - Exodus [8:38]

...And Justice for All - Metallica [9:47] 

Black Horsemen - King Diamond [7:40] 

Flesh and the Power it Holds - Death [8:26]

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin [8:02] 

Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Themanohall

I'm actually the opposite of you, half of the stuff I listen to is at least 5 minutes long, if not more.

A Little Piece of Heaven- Avenged Sevenfold [8:02]
Ministry of Lost Souls, Octavarium, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence- Dream Theater [14:58, 24:00, 42:00]
The Coming Curse- Iced Earth [9:33]
The Clansman, Paschendale, Sign of the Cross- Iron Maiden [8:59, 8:28, 11:17]
Stairway to Heaven- Led Zeppelin [8:02]
Paradigm Shift- Liquid Tension Experiment [8;55]
Viscera Eyes- The Mars Volta [9:23]
Spitting Venom- Modest Mouse [8:29]
Cemetery Gates- Pantera [7:03]
Someone's In The Wolf- Queens of the Stone Age [7:16]
Lateralis- Tool [9:24]
The Court Of The Crimson King, Starless- King Crimson [9:24, 12:17]

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#7  Edited By jaqen_hghar
Yeah. I rarely listen to short songs... Or so it seems. Longer sons are just better, in most cases. Must be because pop and rap artists doesn't know how to make real music, so their songs rarely reach four minutes. Which suits me fine.
Instead of making a list of songs, I can name bands who have "long songs" I listen to. Because I am lazy.
Mars Volta, Tool, Dream Theater, Muse, Led Zeppelin etc.
Oh, and one long song which is brilliant: Bob Dylan - Desolation Row.

@Themanohall:  Like your taste in music :D
DoMakeSayThink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DoMakeSayThink

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Sleep [23:17]
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - East Hastings [17:58]
Mogwai - Mogwai Fear Satan [16:18]
Mogwai - My Father, My King [20:12]
Tortoise - Djed [20:57]
Bark Psychosis - Scum [21:15]
The Microphones - I. The Sun [17:11]
Can - Halleluhwah [18:28]
Pink Floyd - Echoes [23: 28]
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother [23:44]

Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Themanohall
@Durandir:
I like Muse, too, I just couldn't think of a good example of a really long song.

Yeah, same to you.
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By jaqen_hghar
@Themanohall: Knights of Cydonia is one, which clocks in on just over 6 minutes. Then we have:
New Born [6:03]
Citizen Erased [7:19]

Those are their longest songs it seems. And they are all really great.
Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Themanohall

Or the HAARP version of Butterflies and Hurricanes, which is 5:56.

EmptyQuarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By EmptyQuarter
Basically any long Maiden track is amazing, but particularly awesome are:

Rime of the Ancient Mariner
For the Greater Good of God
Paschendale
Sign of the Cross
The Clansman
The Longest Day
Dance of Death
Blood Brothers
Alexander the Great
Phantom of the Opera
The Angel and the Gambler (OK, maybe not) :)
and of course the greatest song ever written... Hallowed Be Thy Name.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By Suicrat
@DoMakeSayThink:

DUDE! How could you make a list that includes G!YBE but omits "Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls" (20:42) or "Motherfucker = Redeemer" (31:32) from Yanqui UXO?! Not a Steve Albini fan?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Hallelujah is a fantastic song, but I find Leonard Cohen's version far superior.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By Davvyk

Justice - Planisphere 17:39 of  epic electro rip your own clothes off on a dance floor tune-age.

Yes
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Suicrat
@Bruce: Just noticed you had a Velvet Underground song (aka THE Velvet Underground song), but no love for Sister Ray?
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bruce
@Davvyk:

Can't beat the original 8 minute cut of Daft Punk's Around the World.
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By dsplayer1010

Weezer-Only in Dreams [7:59]

Messier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Messier

Tool - The Pot (6:23) 

A typical Maynard rant, screaming about hypocrites, with a pretty groovy bassline. 

AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AzureSupernova

Ghost Love Score - Nightwish - 10:02

I just love it >.>

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By DanielJW
@Themanohall said:
" I'm actually the opposite of you, half of the stuff I listen to is at least 5 minutes long, if not more.A Little Piece of Heaven- Avenged Sevenfold... "
I really like A Little Piece of Heaven. I also enjoy all of Rush's ten minute and up songs.
Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Themanohall
@DanielJW:
Yeah, I was going to put Spirit of the Radio, but I decided against it. I already had way over 10 songs.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Every long song off of Lateralus by Tool, pretty much, though my idea of long song seems to be different than most of yours. "Long" starts right around eight minutes. These six minute songs you guys are posting aren't really that long. Sure, they're not necessarily radio-friendly, but still. Also, Pigs (Three Different Ones) by Pink Floyd and La Villa Strangiato by Rush.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By DanielJW
@TeflonBilly: I just listened to some of that, and it is honestly some of the most intriguing and strange music I've ever heard. Yet at the same time it's incredibly awesome.

@Messier: Thats a really cool song too! 

This forum has a very good music taste about it.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Iron Butterfly (17:02) Because it's funny
The Czar, Mastodon (10:54) Because it's haunting
Outlaw Torn, Metallica (9:59) Because James Hetfield's voice is showcased
Pull Me Under, Dream Theater (8:14) Because it's my favorite Dream Theater song

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By jakob187

The entire "Shine on You, Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd

The entire "Wings of Marie" by Tool
Van Morrison - "Beside You"
Dave Matthews Band - "The Dreaming Tree"

@Messier:  BWAHAHAHA!!!  I love how people always say that about "The Pot", yet they never look at it in reference to their prior albums.  They have a song like that on every one of their albums after Undertow, ya know?  "Hooker with a Penis" on Ænima and "Ticks and Leeches" on Lateralus.  That would be the "trilogy".  Basically, all those songs are talking shit about one specific group of people:  the folks that keep bitching because Tool doesn't sound like they did on Opiate and Undertow.

@Everyones_A_Critic:  "Outlaw Torn"!!!  NICE CHOICE!!!  I absolutely LOVE that song...and that album.  "Bleeding Me" would be another good choice.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bruce
@jakob187:

I'm digging the obscure Floyd tracks. Even though their best stuff are the short ones to me. (See Emily Play for example)
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
@Bruce said:
" @jakob187: I'm digging the obscure Floyd tracks. Even though their best stuff are the short ones to me. (See Emily Play for example) "
"Shine on You Crazy Diamond" is obscure?  Huh...didn't know that.  I always figured it as one of their more popular songs.

*EDIT*  You wanna talk about obscure!  You pulled some Syd Barrett shit out!  Most folks only know the shit with David Gilmour.  Color ME impressed!
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Verdugo

Dopesmoker by Sleep: (A little over an hour, this is one hour of doom metal. Heavy riffs, a sonic mindfuck. Awesome.)

Shine on you Crazy Diamond (Pts.1-5) by Pink Floyd (about 13 minutes)

Sorrow- Pink Floyd (8:48)

High Hopes (7:52, the version off of the "Pulse" DVD)

Dazed and Confused- Led Zeppelin (6:27)

Since I've Been Loving You- Led Zeppelin (7:24)

Stairway to Heaven- Led Zeppelin (8:00)

No Quarter- Led Zeppelin- (7:00)

Achillies Last Stand- Led Zeppelin (10:22)

One- Metallica (7:27)

Master of Puppets- Metallica (8:36)

Ride the Lightning- Metallica (6:36)

Fade to Black- Metallica (6:57)

Creeping Death- Metallica- (6:36)

The Leper Affinity- Opeth (10:23)

Face of Melinda- Opeth (7:58)

Serenity Painted Death- Opeth (9:13)

Dirge For November- Opeth (7:53)

Blackwater Park- Opeth (12:08)

The Funeral Portrait- Opeth (8:44)

Heir Apparent- Opeth (8:50)

(I could name more Opeth, but I won't)

Drought- Pelican (8:23)

March into the Sea- Pelican (11:36)

Autumn into Summer- Pelican (10:44)

The Last Baron- Mastodon (13:00)

Mogwai Fear Satan- Mogwai (16 minutes long, give or take)

La Villa Strangiato- Rush (about 9 minutes or more)

Nottingham Lace- Buckethead (6:33)

Erotomania- Dream Theater (6:44)

Chapter III- Notstalgic Mannerisms- The Fall of Troy (7:51)

Sledgehammer- The Fall of Troy (6:01)

Silver- Jesu (6:46)

Wolves- Jesu (8:29)

Rime of the Ancient Mariner- Iron Maiden (see other posts for the length)

Beelzeboss- Tenacious D (5:37)

I know that last one isn't THAT long, but that song is so kickass I had to get it in there:P.

I could add more to this list...but it is big enough already:D.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EvilTwin

Desolation Row - Bob Dylan (11:21)

Is the first thing that comes to mind.

November Rain - Guns n' Roses (8:57)
Stan - Eminem (6:44)

Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Themanohall
@Bruce:
I always like Money by Pink Floyd, which is 6:23, so pretty long.

@jakob187:

I think Lateralis is better than Undertow and AEnima combined.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Verdugo said:
" Dopesmoker by Sleep: (A little over an hour, this is one hour of doom metal. Heavy riffs, a sonic mindfuck. Awesome. "
Fuck yes! Sleep, Boris, sunnO))), Electric Wizard and so on are all bands with awesome long sludgy stoner/doom metal riffs and bass that just rumbles through your system

@DanielJW said:
" @TeflonBilly: I just listened to some of that, and it is honestly some of the most intriguing and strange music I've ever heard. Yet at the same time it's incredibly awesome."

Yeah, for better or worse Mike Patton's always pushing the envelope. Delirium Cordia's sweet even though I think it loops a little too long towards the end.
I like Fantomas alot, they're one of the "scarier" bands out there soundwise.
Their cover of Spider Baby is the closest thing to a new Monster Mash we'll get (Which is kinda ironic seeing as the original Spider Baby was a parody of the Monster Mash. It's like a snake swallowing it's own tail.)
I can't listen to Suspended Animation, but I can still respect what it is even if I'm not a fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TeflonBilly said:
"Fuck yes! Sleep, Boris, sunnO))), Electric Wizard and so on are all bands with awesome long sludgy stoner/doom metal riffs and bass that just rumbles through your system"
Shit how could I forget to mention Monster Magnet and Kyuss which are way more well known than those.
Man, now I gotta dig up some old, classic Monster Magnet.

Spine Of God (8:02) is an awesome song of theirs, but it's even better if you hear Zodiac Lung (4:45) first and let it seep into Spine Of God effectively making it (12:47).
MATH!
Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Themanohall
@TeflonBilly:

I just listened through Delirium Cordia, and it was actually pretty creepy. I liked it.
Also, I love Kyuss, I didn't know anyone else knew they existed.
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Verdugo
@TeflonBilly said:
"@TeflonBilly said:
"Fuck yes! Sleep, Boris, sunnO))), Electric Wizard and so on are all bands with awesome long sludgy stoner/doom metal riffs and bass that just rumbles through your system"
Shit how could I forget to mention Monster Magnet and Kyuss which are way more well known than those.Man, now I gotta dig up some old, classic Monster Magnet.Spine Of God (8:02) is an awesome song of theirs, but it's even better if you hear Zodiac Lung (4:45) first and let it seep into Spine Of God effectively making it (12:47).MATH!"

Kyuss, fuck yeah man:D. Sunn O)) are good for relaxing, Orthodox Caveman is some damn heavy drone doom \m/. Electric Wizard are also badass.

DOOOOOM.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jakob187
@Themanohall said:
"@jakob187: I think Lateralis is better than Undertow and AEnima combined. "
You think one song is better than two entire albums?

Make sure you realize the spelling you use for things.  The ALBUM is "Lateralus".  The SONG is "Lateralis".  = D  Either way, it's all personal opinion, but Ænima has always been the album for me.  = D

I'm also quite curious - I have friends that pronounce it "latter-uhl-us" like me, then I have others that pronounce it "latter-al-us" like they are from Canada or something.  Which way do you pronounce it?
Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Themanohall
@jakob187:
Oh, whoops.

I pronounce it "latter-uhl-us," because I'm lazy, but I think it's supposed to be "latter-al-us."
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By gingertastic_10

Pretty much all of the long songs I like are by Coldplay.
Yes- 7:06
Death and All His Friends- 6:18
Lovers in Japan- 6:51
(all by Coldplay)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By Atlas

10. Mono - Com(?) (15:56)
9.  Isis - Weight (10:46)
8.  Explosions in the Sky - The Moon is Down (10:03)
7.  envy - A Will Remains in the Ashes (12:44)
6.  Thomas Kakusha and the Belcea String Quartet - Brahms: String Quintet #2 in G, Op. 111, movement one; allegro non troppo
5.  Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. 1-5 (13:31)
4.  Gregor Samsa - Even Numbers (10:06)
3.  Godspeed You! Black Emperor - They Don't Sleep Anymore on the Beach (23:18)
2.  The Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini (32:31)
1.  Sigur Ros - Untitled #8 (Popplagio aka The Pop Song) (11:45)

Some of my favourite songs of all-time are on that list.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a shortened version of Spine Of God by Monster Magnet I found on Youtube. The album version is longer and better, but it's a pretty sweet mix set to the old flick Rock and Rule which I remember scared the shit outta me as a kid.

Though their later albums were more cock rock and metal inspired, Superjudge and Spine Of God are seminal stoner rock albums.
I advise anyone who even remotely likes this to check them out. Start with the album Spine Of God.
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Rhinoceros/ Hummer/ Soma - Smashing Pumpkins [6:33/ 6:57/ 6:39]
Good Morning, Captain - Slint [7: 39]
Soon - My Bloody Valentine [6:58]
Dreams Burn Down - Ride [6:04]
Freedom - Rage Against the Machine [6:05]
Hi Tech Jazz - Underground Resistance [8:10]

Nothing exceptionally long, but nevermind that

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Thick as a Brick (part 2) - Jethro Tull [21:10]

Thick as a Brick part 1 & 2 together clock in at 43:50, that is truly and epic song.

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By marlow83

Roseta Stoned- Tool (Around 11 minutes)
Throes of Perdition- Trivium (5:55)

netfluffyG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By netfluffyG

The Past is a Grotesque Animal- Of Montreal (11:53)
You Are The Blood- Sufjan Stevens (10:14)
Sympathy For The Devil- The Rolling Stones (6:27)
Wash The Day- TV on The Radio(8:07)
Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Mephise Blues Again- Bob Dylan (7:06)
A Day In The Life- The Beatles (5:33)
I Want You (She's So Heavy)- The Beatles (7:47)
Sir Psycho Sexy- Red Hot Chili Peppers (8:17)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jakob187
@Themanohall said:
" @jakob187: Oh, whoops.I pronounce it "latter-uhl-us," because I'm lazy, but I think it's supposed to be "latter-al-us." "
I'm pretty sure the first way is the correct way, as that's how I've heard both Adam Jones and Danny Carey pronounce it, yet I've heard Maynard pronounce it both ways.  SOOOO...chances are it's whatever way we want it to be.
Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Themanohall
@jakob187:
From wikipedia "Lateralus (pronounced /lætərˈælɪs/)"
If you can decipher that, you're winner.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I can decipher that phonetically for you Englishspeakers.

The "æ" is pronounced like the middle of a sheep's "Bæææææh" if that makes sense.

So it's Læhter - ælooss

At least that's the closest I can describe it

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By Red12b
@netfluffyG:
Yes, some beatles love, Well done,
Have a cookie.
Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Skillface

Stella Was A Diver and She Was Always Down - Interpol (6:23)
Ball and Biscuit - The White Stripes (7:17)
Right in Two - Tool (8:55)
Hearts Alive - Mastodon (13:39)

Also The Pot by Tool, which was mentioned earlier in the thread.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By buzz_clik

Goldie - Timeless: Inner City Life/Pressure/Jah (21:03)

Mad bold way to start an album. There are another 7 songs following this, but the expansive opener is the glorious centrepiece. Really, it's just three songs made into one, but the way they loop and snake back on themselves makes them gel together into a complete epic tune.