• 53 results
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

I've been watching a lot of Batman TAS this week (one of the greatest shows in my opinion) and I just finished watching the episode Perchance to Dream. So long story short Bruce is living in his fantasy world, his parents aren't dead etc, but he can't read. It's revealed at the end of the episode that he knew he was dreaming because reading is a function of the right side of the brain and dreaming is a function of the left, therefore he was dreaming the whole time. Is this true in real life? I've tried looking it up on several websites but their are many conflicting answers with people saying they have read in their dreams. 

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FunExplosions

Weird. I only watched one episode of that show. That's the episode. 

Anyway, yeah. I did some coding in my dreams last week. If you do something enough, you can dream about doing it. The show was probably moreso touching on the fact that his mind wasn't focused on what was in the books, just what the room looked like.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I don't know. I'm sometimes very lucid in my dreams. But I honestly can't remember a time when I've read something in them.  

But I definitely remember watching Batman The Animated Series on the WB when I was a kid, and it fucking rocked. I hate the way they animate cartoons these days.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@RE_Player92:
 You can.  They made that up.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Baillie

I downloaded the every episode from that show last month and have been watching them since. YES I'M A PIRATE. 

Once I get onto this episode, I will come back and let you know my thoughts. (I never remmeber my dreams, so I'm going to say yes. I can read in my dreams, while playing videos games, watching Batman TAS and dreaming in my dream. 

BWWAAAAAAAA

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By benpack

I don't think I've ever tried.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rockanomics

Yeah I totally remember that episode (well actually not the episode just that part), and I really can't remember ever reading in a dream.

ojcme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ojcme

It's really funny just reading that topic made me remember that batman episode.  Yeah, I've read in my dreams.  I've even coded and written a paper in my dreams.  I think it varies in how you dream.  Maybe Batman isn't as lucid as a dreamer (I don't really want to speculate on batman's own psyche) and that's what tipped him off.  I think if you tend to dream more lucidly I think it's more likely that you'll be able to read.

What a weird topic.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

When you sleep, in REM mode, you don't use the left hemisphere of the brain, that's why he couldn't read those letters in a dream. The left brain is the side of the brain that's reponsible for language and stuff like that. The right brain is what alot of artist uses, for visual imagination. When you draw, time passes by faster and you are using spatial awareness, seeing the big picture instead of getting caught up in detail of the left hemisphere. That's why alot of ppl dream in pictures and stuff because they are still trying to process things in the brain they haven't processed. I suspect the right hemisphere might be responsible for the subconcious thoughts and stuff.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shirogane

I remember reading in dreams, but i've also felt pain in dreams too, which is also supposed to be not possible. So er...yeah.
Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jrad

Whenever I try to read in dreams the text will change as I focus on it. I can usually make out some words, but I've never been able to remember them upon waking.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By damodar

I saw the thread title and came in to say "according to Bruce Wayne, you can't!" 

But yeah, BTAS is so good!

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By bakumatsu
@RE_Player92 said:
" I've been watching a lot of Batman TAS this week (one of the greatest shows in my opinion) and I just finished watching the episode Perchance to Dream. So long story short Bruce is living in his fantasy world, his parents aren't dead etc, but he can't read. It's revealed at the end of the episode that he knew he was dreaming because reading is a function of the right side of the brain and dreaming is a function of the left, therefore he was dreaming the whole time. Is this true in real life? I've tried looking it up on several websites but their are many conflicting answers with people saying they have read in their dreams.  "
Man when I saw this topic, this episode came to my mind instantly... And I saw it about 12 years ago but I never forgot it because once in a while I ask myself the same thing.
Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Liono88

Some things in dreams are legible and I can read signs etc but in some its impossible to make out letters or symbols really depends on the context of my dream I suppose.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but if you try to read the same thing again right after you just read it. It will say something completely different or make no sense at all. 

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By velucyraptor

I've definitely read in my dreams, multiple times. I've always thought it weird as hell though

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spudtastic

I have a lot pf dreams where I'm travelling around town, either by car  or on foot.I've never been reading, although it would likely be road signs if I did read.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Jeust
@GlenTennis said:
" I don't think I've ever tried. "
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I once had a dream where Batman makes out with me Spider-man 2 style

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hockeymask27

Alot of times I read/understand things in my dreams even if its not there. So even though the book makes no sense or the person had no voice its like I heard them/read it anyway. I also switch from first person view to third person.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HS21

In my dreams I browse through the Giant Bomb forums and read the topics. It's so bizzare compared to the actual forums though. There are 'relationship advice' threads, threads about people claiming to have OCD so they can feel quirky and special, stupid polls with asinine questions and there's this guy that's super obsessed with this fighting game. I forget what it was called, it had the tagline "The real fighting simulator" on it though. Anyways, yeah, super weird, glad the actual forums aren't like the ones in my dreams. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude

I read what I see in dreams. If it be words, I read. I saw words on a banner last night. I saw a big SALE sign. I wonder where that came from?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By veektarius
@HitmanAgent47: That left-right brain stuff isn't current.
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hourai

I can't remember actually reading anything in my dreams. Instead it sort of goes straight to my head without even looking at it. 

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By Bigheart711

I've read in dreams for a number of times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

What surprises me is that some of you guys read in your dreams.

I mean, wtf, you could be riding a fucking dragon while being a space pirate, and you want to read a fucking book?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Jethuty said:
" What surprises me is that some of you guys read in your dreams.   I mean, wtf, you could be riding a fucking dragon while being a space pirate, and you want to read a fucking book? "
It could be a sign that says "Free dragon ride with a blowjob from Angelina Jolie." 

If you can't read the sign then you are missing something special.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By gingertastic_10

In my dreams I never have my glasses on, and I'm totally blind without them, so I can never read.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BionicMonster

Of course not, your eyes are closed.

No Caption Provided
sorry, I had to do it.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By Icemael

I can't recall ever having a dream where text was involved in any way, so I don't know.

@Jethuty said: 

" I mean, wtf, you could be riding a fucking dragon while being a space pirate, and you want to read a fucking book? "

Or steal a huge, juicy roast turkey from your old elementary school's soccer field with the aid of a robotic condor built by Gyro Gearloose while trying to avoid a hot (in a natural way), blonde cop who knows of your plan.

Sounds weird, I know, but trust me, when you actually dream it, it's totally fucking awesome.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By ajamafalous
@HaltIamReptar said:
" I once had a dream where Batman makes out with me Spider-man 2 style "
I lol'd.
ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Read? Yes.
Color? Yes.
Change things? Yes.
Think outside the dreams limits? Yes.
Pull out to a 3rd person view of myself? Yes.

I found the more I mess with stuff the less time I can spend in the dream state though.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iam3green

i don't know. i never tried and i don't think i have read in my dreams. i've only had one luicive dream.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By keyhunter

I nailed my friends diabetic girlfriend in a dream recently. I hope I didn't catch anything.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By WickedCestus
@Shirogane said:
" I remember reading in dreams, but i've also felt pain in dreams too, which is also supposed to be not possible. So er...yeah. "
So, you're the devil? Either that, or you're Harry Potter.
bigtye52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bigtye52

I can read in my dreams but only one word at a time, and it is always makes a sentence that is just nonsense.

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gabha

Add me to the pile of those who came here thinking of that Batman episode.

Not only do I recall reading many times in my dreams, I recall recently calling bullshit on that specific episode within the dream itself because I somehow knew I was dreaming yet could still read. 

Weird that in stayed on mind after more than a decade of seeing it.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shirogane
@supermike6 said:
" @Shirogane said:
" I remember reading in dreams, but i've also felt pain in dreams too, which is also supposed to be not possible. So er...yeah. "
So, you're the devil? Either that, or you're Harry Potter. "

Aren't they the same thing?
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrKlorox

Nope. My understanding is that the part of the brain that reads language and does math is what's resting when you sleep and waking it to the point of comprehending things will usually bring you out of the sleep state. Such is a thin line to walk for those interested in lucid dreaming. The trick is to recognize signs like old Bruce. Deceased relatives are always a dead giveaway for one (bad pun), but realizing you can't read is tough since the realization function ties in with the part of the brain that can't process such logic.  Actually reading and "knowing" what something says when looking at it are two different things.

The writer of that episode has clearly had a parent die. Every night for a couple years after his death, I used to dream my father was still alive. But after a number of emotional "but I was there when you died" situations you begin to realize that you must be dreaming upon sight.

I tend to dream I'm back at the last day of highschool and I'm stuck there with no ride home and somebody chasing me. Eventually I think to search my pockets for a cell phone to call for help, but then am unable to remember/comprehend which numbers are where on the phone even though I can remember clearly the number to dial. It's like the correct numbers and my fingers are magnets with the same polar charge. And don't even get me started on traction.

I've being noticing that when I think or believe that something might happen, it always does. And I've been able to use that to gain better control of my dreams. Pain is totally possible in dreams if you continue to believe it's happening after being inflicted. Melatonin helps a lot for lucidity.

edit: people calling bullshit clearly don't have any concept of subjectivism.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShadowSkill11
@MrKlorox:  Wierd. I don't get recurring dreams or nightmares since I almost always have either full control of a dream state or am watching from a 3rd person perspective  with my mind unrestricted  by the dream.
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tsoglani

I have on occasion read in dreams, nothing too extreme, just newspapers, magazines, or a page of a novel and the like. I have also felt pain in my dreams. Though at the end of the day, I think that reading in dreams is probably a waste of the dreaming time; there are way more exciting things to do in dreams than read.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By valrog

Now that you mention it, this might explain why I can't remember what I've read in my dreams. Maybe because I can't read in my dreams, although I remember I was "reading" something.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ErgoProxy77

I can only read in a dream within a dream.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Baillie said:
" I downloaded the every episode from that show last month and have been watching them since. YES I'M A PIRATE.  Once I get onto this episode, I will come back and let you know my thoughts. (I never remmeber my dreams, so I'm going to say yes. I can read in my dreams, while playing videos games, watching Batman TAS and dreaming in my dream.  BWWAAAAAAAA "
He has the bravery to admit what we're all doing. 

*cue slow clapping*
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FunExplosions
@Baillie said:
"  BWWAAAAAAAA "
This is how I read this: 

Is that correct?
Avatar image for arcane_workshop
Arcane_Workshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Arcane_Workshop
@RE_Player92:  Really funny you brought this particular Batman episode up, because I ALWAYS remembered it for this specific claim that people can't read in their dreams... and I saw that episode maaaany years ago when I was a little boy.
I just assumed it was true for a while, but afterwards anytime I had a dream with any amount of lucidity (A dream, where I was aware that I was dreaming), I always took note that I was able to read just fine in my dreams... letters and words appeared as normal to me as when I was awake. So.. the best I can do is just assume that they either made that fact up for that Batman episode, or it's just one of those things that some study showed to be true, and worked better on paper than it does in real life... I don't know. It always confused me as well.

At the same time though, there does exist room for the argument that when you dream, you see what you want to see. If you are attempting to read in your dream, your mind may not be interpreting letters and words the way it does in real life, but rather is just coming up with something on its own, and you are just automatically accepting it. It doesn't make much sense, but dreams rarely do. 

In the Batman episode, he flat out couldn't read... it appeared as garbled symbols and letters. Which, at least in my experience, isn't accurate.
oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By oatz

I've tried several times, but have never been able to.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By FlyingRat

I know i can't and from what i hear you're not supposed to be able to. I read these tests to check if you're awake or not and that was one of them. Another one was turning on or off the lights, as apparently the light can't change in a dream. And the last one was trying to push your fingers through the palm of your other hand, i use that one a lot. :)

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By christ0phe

I don't think so, but a few nights ago I died in one of my dreams, and didn't wake up...is that bad?