• 103 results
#1 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -

Just as the title reads, Hostess as a company is no more and is selling off all assets after attempting to find a way to meet labor costs, and its workers going on strike, unable to come to an agreement on wage and benefit cuts. That means no more twinkies, ding dongs, or wonder bread ever again, for better or for worse. This video suggests its for the better, but 19 thousand people out of work definitely kinda sucks. A lot.

Full article here.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34642 posts) -

@Turambar said:

That means no more twinkies, ding dongs, or wonder bread ever again, for better or for worse.

Probably for the best, since people don't like it when I use those words to refer to my genitals.

#3 Posted by Cheesebob (1212 posts) -

Oh no! I love all that shit!

#4 Posted by Zelyre (986 posts) -

But... those cupcakes!

#5 Posted by msavo (7523 posts) -

I think I had a twinkie once in my life. Never cared for it.

#6 Posted by Nightriff (4376 posts) -

If anyone needs a bailout its them, DO IT 'BAMA!!!

#7 Posted by OldGuy (1434 posts) -

The brands and rights for the popular stuff will be sold (it is probably the end of Wonder Bread and that is a good thing) and continue on via a new corporate overlord... so, fret not (heck the new company may decide that the way to go is to bring back the original banana flavored version)...

#8 Edited by MooseyMcMan (9782 posts) -

The end times are truly upon us.

In all seriousness, I feel bad for the people who lost their jobs.

Also, these are some big brand names here. I bet some other companies will buy up the names and sell some sort of product with the Twinkie name, for example.

This is not the end of Twinkies. This is just a restructuring of Twinkies. I hope.

I'm more concerned about Funny Bones, really.

#9 Posted by Andorski (5112 posts) -

So twinkies can survive a nuclear apocalypse, but not a down economy?

#10 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

In all seriousness, I feel bad for the people who lost their jobs.

Fuck those people, they voted for it.

#11 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1869 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Turambar said:

That means no more twinkies, ding dongs, or wonder bread ever again, for better or for worse.

Probably for the best, since people don't like it when I use those words to refer to my genitals.

Just because it no longer exists does't mean you need to discontinue usage of those words, necessarily!

That's a huge bummer, though. What will be the go-to snack for the post-apocalypse, now?

#12 Posted by Marz (5609 posts) -

fuck man

#13 Posted by sungahymn (981 posts) -

THIS CAN'T HAPPEN.

#14 Posted by MikeydCT (560 posts) -

Twinkies with a banana filling never came out. When I go to the store later picking up hostess products.

#15 Posted by Masin (131 posts) -

Well this is just a load of horseshit. This is why I fucking hate unions. They are supposed to support workers rights, but guess what? Those aren't even workers anymore because said Union just fucked them. Ok. Rant over.

#16 Posted by Jayzilla (2540 posts) -

That is sad. I feel bad for the peeps who lost their jobs. Companies like ActiVision who actively look for ways to subversively fire employees still get hundreds of millions of dollars from fans. Hostess bites the bullet.

#17 Posted by graboids (188 posts) -

and I never tried a Twinkie Wiener Sandwich.... damn it.

#18 Posted by rflx (562 posts) -

Weird. I thought Twinkies were the number one source of nutrition in America. 

/racism

#19 Edited by alternate (2655 posts) -

Those brands are the assets they are trying to sell.

I have heard of all of them and I am not american and never even seen a Twinkie or the rest of that shit. Speaks to the value of the names alone.

With the level of hyperbole and scaremongering in this thread the OP has a definite career ahead in cable news.

#20 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2997 posts) -

Twinkies are gross.

#21 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

The imported twinkes in stores around here will last another 2-3 years so we're good for now.  
Sorry to hear about peoples jobs though, that's so very very sad. 

#22 Posted by RenMcKormack (1071 posts) -

Too bad. Can't say I have had a Twinkie since I was a little kid. But it was definitely an iconic thing. As others have suggested I am pretty sure some other company (Kraft or somebody) will buy the trademarks for Twinkie etc. Hostess has been around since like the 1920s .

#23 Posted by Kerned (1168 posts) -

Wonder "Bread" should die in a fire.

#24 Posted by fox01313 (5034 posts) -

While the news is crazy, I'm sure that Nabisco or some other company in the US will pick up some of the product lines like Twinkies & keep making them as usual. Some of the Hostess brands are so iconic now that it's hard to believe that they will vanish.

#25 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

THE REAL FUCKING TRAGEDY IS THE DEATH OF DRAKE'S CAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 Posted by UltorOscariot (164 posts) -

Twinkles will live on. Other firms will buy up the valuable assets in liquidation. What sucks is for the members of their 18,000 strong workforce who were not members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union who are now out of job for things totally outside their control. Good going Big Labor! Being out of a job in his economy sounds a heck of lot better than an 8% wage cut in exchange for 25% equity in the company.

#27 Posted by icytower38 (455 posts) -

Sad for all the workers involved, and sad for the rest of us that enjoyed there products. Though I am sure someone will buy up the company.

I wonder what ever happened to that box.

#28 Posted by Ben_H (3220 posts) -

From my understanding, everything is going to be ok in Canada since Hostess doesn't actually make our twinkies or Wonderbread or anything else. It is all licensed out (Saputo makes the Twinkies and Weston makes Wonderbread). 

But yeah, that can't be just the strike closing that company, management had to have screwed up somewhere.

#29 Posted by TheHumanDove (2397 posts) -

Thanks OBAMA

#30 Posted by mordukai (7093 posts) -

@Jayzilla said:

That is sad. I feel bad for the peeps who lost their jobs. Companies like ActiVision who actively look for ways to subversively fire employees still get hundreds of millions of dollars from fans. Hostess bites the bullet.

That's because the people in charge know that their consumer base doesn't give a shit about those issues as long as they get their yearly gaming fix.

#31 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am getting too old and I need those in order to stay awake another 19 minutes longer per bite. Now those kids will prestige before me. I wonder if I can get time off work for bereavement.

#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14326 posts) -

I have never enjoyed their products. I always found them too sweet but lacking in actual taste. Like sugar water but in cake form. Little Debbies 4 life bitches!

#33 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

What will we eat after the apoclaypse?

#34 Posted by NegativeCero (2928 posts) -

I'm sure the shelf life of the very last Hostess snacks will last well beyond their the company's end. Hopefully people who lost their jobs will be fine.

#35 Posted by TooWalrus (12985 posts) -

How is that even possible? Americans love their junk food, something must've gone horribly wrong... I'm gonna go get some Snowballs. Pink ones.

#36 Posted by louiedog (2331 posts) -

Now what will we use as an analog to describe the normal amount of psychokinectic energy in the New York area?

#37 Edited by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

What will we eat after the apoclaypse?

Slim Jim's, obviously.

#38 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1595 posts) -

This is it. This is what the Mayan's prophesied! The world is going to shit.

Oh well, Twinkies will live on in their off-brand counterparts, such as "Golden Cream Cakes".

#39 Posted by Thompson820 (409 posts) -

@sungahymn said:

THIS CAN'T HAPPEN.

Oh! Collusion!

#40 Edited by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

@Masin said:

Well this is just a load of horseshit. This is why I fucking hate unions. They are supposed to support workers rights, but guess what? Those aren't even workers anymore because said Union just fucked them. Ok. Rant over.

Hey dumbass, maybe you should understand what actually happened before you rant about "fuck the unions" like an idiot.

1. The offer the executives made to the unions was to slash their pay and benefits to "restructure" the company while granting themselves an 80% raise. Gee, I wonder why the unions told them to fuck off.
  2. The company was going to go out of business anyway. They are billions of dollars in debt and their garbage product (and make no mistake, it's fucking garbage) was being edged out by competition on all fronts. All this would have done is delayed the liquidation--a liquidation that has been in the works for months to the point that politicians knew it was coming--by a couple months at best. You need more proof? Companies don't just go out of business after a ten-day strike unless there are serious structural issues with them; it just doesn't fucking happen.

The unions didn't kill them because they were already fucking dead and trying to screw their employees to the bitter end.

@UltorOscariot said:

Twinkles will live on. Other firms will buy up the valuable assets in liquidation. What sucks is for the members of their 18,000 strong workforce who were not members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Union who are now out of job for things totally outside their control. Good going Big Labor! Being out of a job in his economy sounds a heck of lot better than an 8% wage cut in exchange for 25% equity in the company.

You can see the above, too.

#41 Posted by Skytylz (4015 posts) -

@ShadowConqueror said:

Twinkies are gross.

Pretty much, I couldn't care less that they are going out of business.

#42 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -

I was fine with this, since I always liked Devil Dogs by Drake's Cakes instead.

But then I found out that Drake's Cakes and Hostess have been owned by the same company since 1998.

Fuck my life.

#43 Posted by Renahzor (980 posts) -

They're liquidating, someone will buy the popular brands and continue making them. Expect Twinkie, wonder, and a couple others to be bought up and made at other bakeries (Bimbo most likely would be my guess).

#44 Posted by Funzzo (823 posts) -

I think the wonder bread plant in my town closed yesterday.

#45 Posted by DriveupLife (896 posts) -

Thanks a lot bakers union. You really did a great job destroying 18,500 jobs.

#46 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

@rflx said:

Weird. I thought Twinkies were the number one source of nutrition in America. /racism

How exactly would one define the "American race?"

#47 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

@DriveupLife said:

Thanks a lot bakers union. You really did a great job destroying 18,500 jobs.

You're deluding yourself if you think Hostess wasn't already dead and that their PE firm owners weren't wistfully counting down the days until they could liquidate the company and its assets.

#48 Posted by Fattony12000 (6366 posts) -
#49 Posted by Renahzor (980 posts) -

@iAmJohn: These types of investment firms make far more money if they emerge with a successful business on the other end. Liquidation will get them their base investment and a little profit back, I'm sure they'd rather have a hundred million/yr profiting business than whatever they can get out from a firesale. Yes some businesses end up closing under this type of restructuring/buyout/takeover, and hostess was in a world of hurt no matter what they did, but the Baker's union didn't do anyone any favors here.

#50 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

FUCK! I've never had a twinkie. TO THE NEAREST GAS STATION!