Grammar Nazis:

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By max3000

You officially suck now (because Stephen Fry said so)
 http://www.wimp.com/frylanguage/

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I think this counts as youtube spam. Or just video spam. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'll never understand how a washed up actor who hosts a bad BBC game show has become such a cult icon.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob
@HandsomeDead said:

" I'll never understand how a washed up actor who hosts a bad BBC game show has become such a cult icon. "

A panel show is not a game show. They're not winning fucking washing machines, are they?
You lose.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead
@MysteriousBob said:
" @HandsomeDead said:

" I'll never understand how a washed up actor who hosts a bad BBC game show has become such a cult icon. "

A panel show is not a game show. They're not winning fucking washing machines, are they?You lose. "
It's equally as dull. Any show where Jo Brand is a regular can't be good.
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bravetoaster

I guess if Stephen Fry told you to suck him off you would do it in a heart beat.

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By max3000
@Axxol said:
" I guess if Stephen Fry told you to suck him off you would do it in a hear beat. "
Oh wow, you should be a fucking comedian!
Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Popogeejo
@dudeglove: That and embodying numerous positive aspects like wit, humour, charm and intelligence tend to help.
How could a funny, intelligent guy who is very good at expressing himself possibly be liked?
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zimbo
@HandsomeDead:
Maybe because he is a interesting and nice guy. He also hosts a lot of documentaries and he worked in TV shows such as Blackadder! How could you not like the guy? Also, and most importantly. Twitter.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Alexander
@HandsomeDead said:

" It's equally as dull. Any show where Jo Brand is a regular can't be good. "

I call it "The Undisputed Truth."  

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
@dudeglove said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
But... but... but he went to Cambridge! "
I read an essay about him last year which suggested people watch him because his accent and general toff attitude makes people think they're learning something. The only thing worse than idiots are idiots who think they're clever because they learned a worthless fact off Stephen Fry. 

@Zimbo
said:
" @HandsomeDead:Maybe because he is a interesting and nice guy. He also hosts a lot of documentaries and he worked in TV shows such as Blackadder! How could you not like the guy? Also, and most importantly. Twitter. "
His documentary series where he went around America was so embarrassing. Basically An Idiot Abroad only played straight.
Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShadowConqueror

The (grammar) Nazis were right!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

I would suck Stephen Fry off just in the hope of gaining some of his limitless knowledge and charm.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By metalmoog

All one needs to learn about proper grammar is taught by Ali G in this video:

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By FireBurger

Sorry to post on topic, but:

This really has to be broken into two parts. Poetry and literature are perfect venues for creative use of language and words. On the other hand, communicative language (such as on/in a forum, newspaper, conversation), the sole purpose of which is to communicate a thought clearly, should be clear, concise, and precise. Obviously, certain people can take it overboard (less and fewer), but there is certainly a need to follow the rules of grammar in many contexts.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheJohn

While I rarely find mr Fry laugh-out-loud funny nowadays - in a stand-up comic kind of way, at least - his mastery of language, sarcastic wit and championing of all things nerdy gives me enjoyment on a regular basis. As a non-native english speaker, I find videos as the one that started this thread to solidify my opinion that the english language is capable of being both beautiful and hilarious in ways other languages lack. Granted, my grasp of languages only include norwegian, along with a sub-par command of french and german, thus forcing me to base my preference solely on anecdotal evidence. Still, english remains my favorite language, and I will continue to be amazed and excited whenever I'm exposed to its masters. Dude.

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By max3000
@TheJohn said:
" While I rarely find mr Fry laugh-out-loud funny nowadays - in a stand-up comic kind of way, at least - his mastery of language, sarcastic wit and championing of all things nerdy gives me enjoyment on a regular basis. As a non-native english speaker, I find videos as the one that started this thread to solidify my opinion that the english language is capable of being both beautiful and hilarious in ways other languages lack. Granted, my grasp of languages only include norwegian, along with a sub-par command of french and german, thus forcing me to base my preference solely on anecdotal evidence. Still, english remains my favorite language, and I will continue to be amazed and excited whenever I'm exposed to its masters. Dude. "
You took the words out of my mouth. As someone who speaks three languages, English is by far my favorite for this exact reason.
StartAndPause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StartAndPause
@HandsomeDead
I'll never understand how a washed up actor who hosts a bad BBC game show has become such a cult icon.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way.
Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Canberra

I'm genuinely shocked to find that people don't like him.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShockD

Heil Fry!

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By diz
@max3000 said:
" You officially suck now (because Stephen Fry said so)  http://www.wimp.com/frylanguage/ "
Whatever happened to full stops at the end of sentences? 
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@HandsomeDead How is he washed up exactly? He's been a criminal, a teacher, a playwrite, an author, a comedian, an actor, a commentator, a host and is an English lit expert twice qualified. What the fuck have you done with your life by comparison?
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunslingerPanda

What!? It's cool for the wheelie to hate on Stephen Fry now!?

Fuck this world, I'm hanging myself.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By tebbit
@Canberra said:
" I'm genuinely shocked to find that people don't like him. "
Me too! It's like hating on red liquorice. 

RED LIQUORICE IS DELICIOUS! END OF!
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By toowalrus
Who the fuck gives a shit about that asshole?

Was that grammatically correct? I certainly hope so.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
@SeriouslyNow: I didn't know I had to be Laurence Olivier to criticize someone else's acting career.
Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@HandsomeDead said:

" @SeriouslyNow: I didn't know I had to be Laurence Olivier to criticize someone else's acting career. "

have you seen any of his theatre work? Or are you only basing your opinions on his early TV work?  

Because washed up certainly indicates to me that his career is over, but you couldn't be further from the truth.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@HandsomeDead said:
" @SeriouslyNow: I didn't know I had to be Laurence Olivier to criticize someone else's acting career. "
Once again, he's not just an actor.  He's done a whole lot more.  And you're not criticising his career, you're giving him a misnomer which doesn't apply. 
TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheJohn
@max3000 said:
" @TheJohn said:
" While I rarely find mr Fry laugh-out-loud funny nowadays - in a stand-up comic kind of way, at least - his mastery of language, sarcastic wit and championing of all things nerdy gives me enjoyment on a regular basis. As a non-native english speaker, I find videos as the one that started this thread to solidify my opinion that the english language is capable of being both beautiful and hilarious in ways other languages lack. Granted, my grasp of languages only include norwegian, along with a sub-par command of french and german, thus forcing me to base my preference solely on anecdotal evidence. Still, english remains my favorite language, and I will continue to be amazed and excited whenever I'm exposed to its masters. Dude. "
You took the words out of my mouth. As someone who speaks three languages, English is by far my favorite for this exact reason. "
Fucking stoked to be discussing the beauty of language with the cookie monster. Cake!
But yeah, it's a fun language, and I'm constantly learning nuances that makes me wish it was my given language. Norwegian has its charms as well, but we're a small country, and we just don't have as many words.
Being a geek, I find it extremely exciting whenever I find an english word that's descendant from the old form of norwegian, because it's usually the other way around
Avatar image for anamericanpatriot
AnAmericanPatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK, NO nazi is A GOOD nazi. AND STEPHEN Fry wins 100000000000000000x FOR ME for voicing the Guide in THE HITCHHIKER movie if ONLY BECAUSE HE'S voice is WHAT I BASICALLY read that BOOK in.

marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By marrec
@FireBurger said:
" Sorry to post on topic, but:  This really has to be broken into two parts. Poetry and literature are perfect venues for creative use of language and words. On the other hand, communicative language (such as on/in a forum, newspaper, conversation), the sole purpose of which is to communicate a thought clearly, should be clear, concise, and precise. Obviously, certain people can take it overboard (less and fewer), but there is certainly a need to follow the rules of grammar in many contexts. "
I think Mr. Fry clearly illustrates when to follow the strict rule of Grammar in his monologue while still advocating the necessity of experimentation. Heaven forbid I compare some random user of the internet to some visionary of the English language, but I agree that perhaps the Grammar Nazi's out there need to stop being so proud and start taking a bit more joy in the fluidity of language. Besides, I love smashing words together to create new and ridiculous fusions that make absolutely no sense. It's good fun. 

- Ex Gammar Nazi
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#33  Edited By alistercat

I am more partial to a bit of Fry then is deemed healthy, and my admiration for him is well known to those close to me. He is of course ripe for criticism, but as always haters gunna hate. I know this is way off topic but any chance to talk about Stephen Fry is worth my time.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By infininja

Imply and infer are pretty different. Mixing those up is on par with saying "he'll learn you something." I don't care about the "5 items or less" stuff though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic

sounds alot like john cleese in that video

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheJohn

Hello. We're talking about language

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mordukai

I guess I am fine with them as long as they don't try to "convince" me to go into that oddly dry room they call a shower.  

Ohh shit I got the type of nazis confused. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I saw this and have heard Fry make this point long before now and he's right, as long as your language at least allows you to communicate what you mean with other people there's no reason you should speak in a certain way. I usually aim to keep what I write as neat as possible because that's my personal style of writing but the way language evolves is through the introduction of new words and unconventional use of existing words and as Fry notes Shakespeare was one of the great pioneers of this. Unfortunately, like Fry, despite knowing there's no reason I should be upset by people using language unconventionally I still get a little pang of discomfort whenever I see grammar or spellings that aren't considered part of the Queen's English. Although I think I feel even more discomfort reading about the kind of people who write into Points of View highlighting spelling mistakes and think they're the fucking heroes of the modern world.

I'm surprised to find some people here not only harbour a dislike for Fry but also a rather strong one. In my opinion QI is a very interesting programme and Fry does a great job presenting it, I've also enjoyed his other recent TV appearances and his recent documentary on the United States. For those of you who think Fry now isn't laugh-out-loud funny like a stand-up comedian, well, guess what, he's not trying to be a laugh-out-loud stand-up comedian. I could take any actor who used to do work but no longer appears in classic works and call them 'washed up' but I believe Fry has earned his place as a national icon through his wit, intelligence, acting ability and general pleasant demeanour. Even if Fry's style is not your cup of tea how such a passive individual could inspire any kind of hate is breath-taking.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By flaminghobo
@HandsomeDead said:
"I'll never understand how a washed up actor who hosts a bad BBC game show has become such a cult icon. "

Do you make a living out of your trolling? Or is it something you do in your spare time?