Have you traveled outside the country you were born in?

• 103 results
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Have you traveled outside the country you were born in? (210 votes)

Yes 89%
No 14%

I seem to hear a lot about Americans that never even leave their home state. But on the other hand, there seems to be a lot of Europeans that drive across countries on a regular basis. Anyway, I'm just curious.

• 
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By TobbRobb

Several times, I've been more or less in every corner of Europe. I've yet to leave the continent though, so I would love a trip to an Asian country at some point. For now though, there is more Europe to be explored.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Quite a bit, actually. In fact, I'm probably the only person in this thread to have left their celestial body.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I live right in the middle of California and only made it as far as Nevada. So no, I haven't traveled outside of the country. To do so would be a large undertaking because other countries are kind of far away anyways. It's not as easy as driving for a couple ours unless you live in San Diego or Seattle or something.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bigjeffrey

I was born in the us, I've gone to Mexico. So yes

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By mikey87144

I wasn't born in the US but even with that I've been to Europe and a bunch of other islands in the Caribbean.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Born in Israel and lived in Lod. Been in Canada since around May of 1996. Was in the US for a bit before going to Canada.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I may have been to Canada once, although now I'm not sure. I voted yes, but I might actually be a no.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Only twice, I went to Guatemala when I was like 4 and to Cuba when I was like 9. That was back in like 1999 and I haven't been outside of the U.S. since.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it's scary because everyone speaks weird and looks different. I don't recommend it. I rather build a fort at home from old cardboard boxes now, much safer.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By nevalis

I've never traveled further west than the east coast states, but I've been to Europe, more specifically Holland. My wife has family in Germany, so once our son is a bit older, we'll try to visit.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Born in Sydney, Australia and I've been to Fiji, New Caledonia, New Zealand, and 'Murica.

Also Tasmania, which is basically another country

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I emigrated when I was eight. That, and having moved interstate (I live in Australia) when I later left home make it difficult to answer the question "Where are you from?" - I identify with all three areas I've lived in.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, although perhaps not far enough that it counts. Born and raised in Ireland, moved to England 7 years ago.

Still, early days. I fully intend to see more of the world before I'm in a box in the ground.

JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Born in Ireland, been to England, Scotland, Spain (multiple times), Turkey, Portugal and Cyprus.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've been to Canada twice, more specifically New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Not exactly the most exciting parts of Canada, but it's nice up there.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite a bit, actually. In fact, I'm probably the only person in this thread to have left their celestial body.

....Jesus?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Clonedzero

Technically yes. I've been to canada, but that barely counts.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Hunter5024

Yes, I've been to Mexico because it's only about an hour away. I haven't really done anything there though. I'll take a proper trip down there some day. My bucket list requires me to visit Japan and at least 2 European countries in my lifetime as well.

I think the reason a lot of Americans haven't left their state or their country is because they're really big. My state is comparable in size to many European countries, so if I want to go out of state, it's going to be a pretty pricey adventure. There's plenty of stuff to do in Arizona that I haven't gotten around to yet too. I should probably see the Grand Canyon sometime.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninessc2 said:

@video_game_king said:

....Jesus?

Even better.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stryker1121

If you're in the U.S. it's not too romantic to travel from Ohio to say Indiana. However, it would be awesome to get on a train and travel from country to country in the EU.

I'm not terribly well traveled but have been to a couple of interesting places - Russia (St. Petersburg) and Israel. Also Montreal.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Born in Canada. I've been to the US 2-3 times. Last time was 15 years ago.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was born in Shanghai in the late 80s, then moved to Canada when I was 10. Does that count?

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I have been to China, Hong Kong, and Korea. Sleeping Dogs was based on me.

As a child, I spent enough time in Hong Kong to learn conversational Cantonese (Mostly from Dragon Ball, I think...). When I came back to the states, I went to a Mandarin school. That's like learning Italian and then being dropped in a French class. So now my Chinese is at a point where I don't know which words in my head are which dialect, so they get interchanged in mid-sentence. The Chinese version of Engrish, I guess.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, though Canada's about an hour away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've left my state but I've never left the US. I'd love to do so when the opportunity arises, that just hasn't happened yet.

crimsinf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By crimsinf

I haven't been to the country in which I was born in over two decades.

Jojojimmeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Living in Australia I guess it's a little harder to leave the country than a lot of other places, or at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

I'd love to visit other countries though, when I have the capacity to do so.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Many Americans have never left their state? I think that pretty far off the mark. Maybe for rural areas, but many Americans are well traveled these days, especially as you go down in age brackets.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#29 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Born in the US, I have been to Mexico, Ireland, Germany, Kuwait, Iraq, South Korea, Japan, and Okinawa

Slippy4475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Slippy4475

My country tells me other countries are dangerous and out to rob tourists. I've never left the USA.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been to London twice and lived for 3 months in Italy. I envied all my British roommates in Italy, they were far more well-traveled throughout Europe because it was so easy for them to get there. But even if you live in the US and can't afford to fly across an ocean, fly to Mexico or Canada, whichever's closest, and there ya go.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've never been outside of the USA. Actually, I've only been to North and South Carolina. My cousin also lived in Tennessee for a little while so I've been there for a day.

TIEfighter77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I've been out of the US to Ireland, BVIs, USVIs, Bahamas, Tijuana once (I don't care to discuss that one).

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was born in the US and I've traveled to Thailand a few times with my family to visit relatives.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

Yes. I'm a Canadian, and I've gone to America about 6-7 times. I'll be going to Europe next May, also.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By billymaysrip

There are 113,431,943 valid US passports according to http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/stats/stats_890.html

That's about a third of the country, and assuming that everyone who has a passport traveled out of the country, that would mean that about 60-66 percent of the nation hasn't left the US. It's not a generalization; it's fact.

I live in the Northeast of the US, and have lived in the suburbs all my life. The main reason why a lot of the people who I grew up with never left the country was that doing so would mean a five or six hour drive. Flying internationally is expensive, and who really wants to go to Canada when the great American beauty is so nearby... I knew some people who had never left the state, mostly because they didn't need to. Not only that, most people only wanted to go to Disney Land in Florida or Las Vegas. To most, why leave the US?

Also, most Americans don't get too many vacation days. Aparantly the average yearly vacation is 12 days: http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/pf/americans-vacation-time/index.html It's not that much time for most people who want to make the most of their time.

I was really lucky growing up that my mum worked internationally. Before I went to college, I had gone to about 20 countries. Most of my tickets were from frequent flier miles, I slept in my mum's room, and I ate little. As long as she was getting paid to go to a country, I traveled basically for free. It was a great time...

WarosVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the reason a lot of Americans haven't left their state or their country is because they're really big. My state is comparable in size to many European countries, so if I want to go out of state, it's going to be a pretty pricey adventure. There's plenty of stuff to do in Arizona that I haven't gotten around to yet too. I should probably see the Grand Canyon sometime.

Yup, that's the reason. Except in the north east, our states are pretty freaking big.

I've only been to Canada, which, as someone else said, barely counts.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm actually proud of the fact that Australians are among the most prolific international travelers per capita. And yes, I've been to Singapore, North America, Mexico, NZ and up and down the east of Australia a bunch of times.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I've been to alot of places, Bahamas, Barbados, St. Lucia, Jamaica, The Grand Caymen, USVI, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Florida, South Carolina, Los Angeles, New York, Boston, Maine, Northern England, Scotland, Holland, France. I think that's it?

I'm Canadian, so individual states and large American cities count!

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been all over Europe, went to Florida, been around some of Africa. I would love to get to Asia and Scandinavia though.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. One day I hope I can change that. I am however limited with options given my extreme fear of heights and water.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Drekly

I live in Cornwall, south-west England. Until 2 years ago (I'm 24) I'd never left my county let alone my country.

When I found out my online girlfriend was sexually abused by another guy, I dropped everything, booked a flight, a train ticket (400 miles away) and flew to Louisiana. This was the first time I'd ever met her in person and we're now engaged, getting married this year, and the happiest people you could ever find.

Sorry for a little side-story, but that was my experience with travelling :T

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Yes, but only the US

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't even live in the country I was born in.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live outside Detroit, so a trip to Windsor is like going to the store pretty much. Never been to Europe or anything like that though.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninessc2 said:

@video_game_king said:

....Jesus?

Even better.

Cyber Jesus?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flying internationally is expensive, and who really wants to go to Canada when the great American beauty is so nearby...

Presumably there's no great Canadian beauty :P?

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By fox01313

In the states & years ago went to London, UK for a week. Loved it & want to go back as well as visit more of Scotland.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hunter5024 said:

Yup, that's the reason. Except in the north east, our states are pretty freaking big.

I've only been to Canada, which, as someone else said, barely counts.

Yeah the northeast is pretty different. Which is why a law like "No speed limits higher than 55!" seems reasonable to some northeastern drivers, but flabbergasts people in states like mine.