• 174 results
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Enigma777

It's about time for me to get a new laptop. My current baby has served me well these past 4 years but its really starting to show its age. I've been a PC user my entire life but right now I'm considering jumping the fence to see what all the fuss is about. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices: the m11x or a MacBook pro. Both have their pros and cons and I'm split about the middle here.

I'm not really interested in PC gaming outside of some occasional Starcraft 2 and price isn't really an issue here (2 grand is my limit). The biggest thing that's holding me back is that I've spent years learning the ins and outs of Windows to the point where I feel proficiently comfortable with it. I don't want to go through the trouble of learning a new OS.

On the flip side I am continuously impressed by the thought and care Apple puts into every little bolt and screw. Their design is second to none. Plus I already own an iPhone and an iPad so I might as well have the whole set.

Anyways I'm looking for some more pros and cons and user experiences. All input is appreciated!

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoMate
@Enigma777
Between those two go for the mac cause they cost almost the same but the alienware is generally a bit more crappy and the macbook has a way better battery.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

Macs should never even be an option.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

As a guy who uses both Windows and Mac everyday, it really comes to personal preference and application compatibility. Do you have an Apple store near you? I would recommend using the OS and maybe getting a short tour from one their guys at the store.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By nemt

xfd at the Apple Defense Force 

They waste no time.
MrBoBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrBoBo

Macs are basically killing pc gaming along with everyone stealing games.
Get a mac, it's the future.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Surkov

As a recent MacBook Pro 13" owner, I'd say go for it. The jump to OSX isn't that big a deal and the trackpad alone makes it the best laptop available.  

(Spaces + Hot Corners + Exposé) * Trackpad = Productivity Heaven.  

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nemt
@MrBoBo said:

Macs are basically killing pc gaming along with everyone stealing games. Get a mac, it's the future.

Something has been "killing PC gaming" since the 90s 
get a new line
MrBoBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrBoBo
@nemt said:

@MrBoBo said:

Macs are basically killing pc gaming along with everyone stealing games. Get a mac, it's the future.

Something has been "killing PC gaming" since the 90s get a new line
Almost every AAA game that isn't Free2play/MMIO/RTS is a console port. Pc gamer are playing console games now.
Only reason RTS sell well because not vaible on consoles. MMO and free2play no torrent time. Thus: sell

Pc gamers done this to themselfs and continue to do so, don't blame me, don't blame console, don't blame the dev's, blame yourselfs.
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nemt

PC gaming is dying and RTS isn't viable on consoles. 

Any other nonsense you'd like to get out of your system bro? 

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Lava

As long as you do not care about the gaming part totally go for a Mac. I play StarCraft 2 on a Mac that is like 15 months old now and it still looks just fine. I switched from PC after a long time learning everything and I found the switch incredibly easy and I love OS X way better than anything Windows.

MrBoBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrBoBo

Just giving facts man.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By xyzygy

Get a PC, but don't get that Alienware shit. Get an Asus laptop. They make the sturdiest, most reliable laptops out there IMO.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai
@Enigma777: It's really up to what are you going to use it for. I have been a mac user since 4 years ago when I bought a MacMini and that thing works like a charm. I don't remember that I had to bring it for service that wasn't my own desire to change some of it's features.  

Well, if you have an iPhone and the iPad and you are happy with them then you will not be disappointed by the macs. OSX is a very well designed OS.If you ever in need to use windows then you can always have it as a second OS.  

Nowadays I mostly use my macbook for Logic. 
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrv321

Linux>ALL

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shinigami420

Pc

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nemt
@MrBoBo said:

Just giving facts man.

Facts have to be true.  I know that's a difficult concept to grasp, but with practice you may get the hang of it eventually. 
As I said, there's always been something "killing PC gaming," yet PC gaming remains strong.  Great PC games continue to come out and be profitable.  Millions of people play PC games online every day, new PC gaming hardware continues to sell like crazy, etc. 

As for RTS not being viable on consoles did you miss out on Halo Wars being one of the best selling, best reviewed and most played console games of 2009? 

Nice facts, bro.
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By BonOrbitz

As a daily Windows and Mac user, I prefer Mac because of it's stability and OS by a long shot. It's too bad the gaming scene on that platform doesn't equal what Windows offers.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nemt

Anyone who tells you a modern version of ANY mainstream OS is unstable is an idiot (and probably a Mac user).
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Burzmali

I have both a Windows laptop and a macbook. They're both nice, but the only major factor distinguishing the two, as far as I'm concerned, is cost. A macbook generally costs 30% more than a comparable Windows laptop. However, the extended warranty that you can get with Apple is less than anything you can get for a Windows laptop. It doesn't make up for the initial cost, but it helps. Macs are generally more reliable as far as difficult fix stuff is concerned, but both Windows laptops and Macbooks are easy to upgrade as far as memory and hard drive are concerned. For OS, you can just install Windows on the Mac if you don't like OS X. If you stick with OS X, piracy is easier (if you're into that). 

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gamefreak9
@xyzygy said:

Get a PC, but don't get that Alienware shit. Get an Asus laptop. They make the sturdiest, most reliable laptops out there IMO.

this 

you can still get a 2k laptop but make it better than the Alienware and the Mac. 
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aetheldod
@Burzmali: So boothcamp is still a thing? Can you use windows 7 because Im thinking on changing my laptop ( its a mac book but it is now old and barely working) but I want to play games too  , but im a artist/film maker so you know I use production programs .... so the question is does a PC laptop manages those programs as well as a mac? Will the bootcamp cover my gaming need? (I dont mind playing on lower resolutions/settings)
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Commando

Mac for media player/Photoshopping/video editing.
PC for gaming.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Burzmali
@Aetheldod: Yeah, bootcamp is still popular for running Windows as a second OS. Generally, as long as the Mac meets the min specs for whatever game you want to play, it should run just fine in Windows (including 7). There are some exceptions, though. Fallout New Vegas, for instance, doesn't always work on a mac with Windows that meets the requirements. I don't know much about production programs in general, let alone running them on Macs versus PCs. I make iOS games, so I have to have a mac for compiling. I don't really use it for production stuff. I know that Macs have a better reputation for art/film stuff, though.
mrv321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrv321

I'm sorry, WHY is MAC better than a PC or Linux at photoshop, both applications look the same, I know many podcasts that are done on Linux, videos too.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aetheldod
@Burzmali: Oh , but then again I already have it on xbox 360 , what about Stalker? Borderlands , FarCry2 , older id games (you know Quake 1 ,2 hexen heretic) GOG games? And .... I think all you dudes will laugh at my naiveness , Crysis?
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Enigma777
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ajamafalous
@MrBoBo: lol
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#30  Edited By fox01313

PC, far easier to upgrade on the fly and there's always more software out there for the PC than apple where you probably will have to send it in to get it upgraded. Lots more customization available too for the PC so if you buy the parts online for the PC you will probably save some extra money. Frankly just getting the mac computer because you have an iphone/ipad is just silly as they are quite compatible with the pc market.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Burzmali
@fox01313 said:
PC, far easier to upgrade on the fly and there's always more software out there for the PC than apple where you probably will have to send it in to get it upgraded. Lots more customization available too for the PC so if you buy the parts online for the PC you will probably save some extra money. Frankly just getting the mac computer because you have an iphone/ipad is just silly as they are quite compatible with the pc market.
He's looking at laptops (the title's a bit misleading). Macbooks and Windows laptops are pretty much identical when it comes to upgradability.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By Yanngc33
@MrBoBo said:
How are they killing PC gaming? The Steam store is barren on Mac and the only other way to get games is on the appstore. People who want to play games usually go to the PC. Macs are good for work
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Otacon

Had a macbook pro for 3 years and never had a problem with it. I always go with the idea of Macs for laptops, Windows for desktop. You can't beat Apple's build quality, even if you pay a premium for it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mordukai
@Aetheldod said:
@Burzmali: So boothcamp is still a thing? Can you use windows 7 because Im thinking on changing my laptop ( its a mac book but it is now old and barely working) but I want to play games too  , but im a artist/film maker so you know I use production programs .... so the question is does a PC laptop manages those programs as well as a mac? Will the bootcamp cover my gaming need? (I dont mind playing on lower resolutions/settings)

There's no better way to say it but NO! If you're a film maker/artist then a Mac is what you need. You'll LOVE Final Cut and Soundtrack Pro. 

@Enigma777 said:
@xyzygy said:
@Enigma777: Look at this babe. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220957
Jesus, that thing is massive. I'm leaning more towards the 13-15 inch range....
With you on that Enigma. People told me to go for the 17" ones but my reply is always..."I would like it to be portable...LOL"
chrisz2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chrisz2006

If price doesn't matter to you then go with the Macbook or Mac instead of a Windows computer. There are a lot more programs however, for PC then Mac even though Mac does have some really good exclusives like imovie and garage band but most things are made to run on PC. When you talk about being technically proficient do you mean fixing your OS or fixing your pc or just navigating your OS. If its the latter Mac's are very simple so you shouldn't have a problem with it but you want to fix an internal component it will be pretty hard to fix yourself. A PC on the other hand can be fixed by a multitude of people and is a lot easier to fix in that regard. 

notsonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#36  Edited By notsonic

id recommend an asus laptop. 

osx is for people who like having misconceptions. 

@Mordukai: vegas is any bit as good as final cut. 

the whole "macs are for artists" thing is so tired.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By xyzygy
@Enigma777: Oh ok, well there are still plenty of 13-15 inch laptops from Asus. Just take a look through newegg.com or whatever. Do you have set specs in mind?
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Enigma777
@xyzygy
@Enigma777: Oh ok, well there are still plenty of 13-15 inch laptops from Asus. Just take a look through newegg.com or whatever. Do you have set specs in mind?
Sorta. I want an i5 (though the nerd in me is screaming for an i7), lightweight, decent battery, nice looking laptop that is built solidly and can handle wear and tear. Screen res and HDD don't really matter to me (though I would like an SSD drive but they're so damn expensive!). Also it will probably need a discrete graphics card since Intel HD 3000 can barely run SC2 on medium but nothing too fancy. Maybe 4 gigs of RAM?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

go pc. stay that way instead of going with the fad of mac users. i use mac when i went to school and pc when i'm home. most of the software like adobe is on pc also. it is going to save you in the long run if all your going to do is just surf the internet with it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AlexW00d

Fuck Alienware and Apple. Get yourself a well specced Asus and save yourself about a grand. Spend that grand on bitches. Job well done.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Enigma777
@Enigma777
@xyzygy
Sorta. I want an i5 (though the nerd in me is screaming for an i7), lightweight, decent battery, nice looking laptop that is built solidly and can handle wear and tear. Screen res and HDD don't really matter to me (though I would like an SSD drive but they're so damn expensive!). Also it will probably need a discrete graphics card since Intel HD 3000 can barely run SC2 on medium but nothing too fancy. Maybe 4 gigs of RAM?
Oh and a backlit keyboard is a must.
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

If you want a PC laptop as well built as a Mac go Lenovo. They make some well built, sexy hardware. There is no "one OS is better than the other" unless you want to game on it. PC and Mac more or less do the same thing and there is nothing wrong with sticking with what you know.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By crusader8463

PC.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By yoshimitz707

Lol, don't listen to all these idiots bashing alienware without even knowing anything about the m11x. That's a great laptop for gaming but if you're not going to be gaming much you might as well go with the mac.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Franstone

Fuck Macs....
For yuppies and people who can't handle a PC.
Macs cost more for no damn reason.
They aren't upgrade friendly either.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jams
@Franstone said:
Fuck Macs.... For yuppies and people who can't handle a PC.
This is an actual fact.
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Burzmali
@Franstone: Macbooks (which the OP is looking at) are just as upgradable as any Windows laptop.
metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By metalmoog

If you're into playing games on your computer, grab a Windows based PC. If you're into doing anything else with minimum frustration get a Mac. I do all of my work (web design), video editing, music production and yes, word processing and spreadsheets on Microsoft Office for Mac (gasp!).

Macs are easier to use, much more intuitive and far less frustrating than the horror that is Windows. If you are a tech or a computer geek you probably aren't using Windows anyway, real geeks use Linux. So yeah, get a Mac and don't be swayed by the PC fanboy bullshit.

EDIT: I've found in my line of work, any one who has anything negative to say about Mac's hasn't used one since the Powerbook days or even before. They are usually just regurgitating some crap they've heard from ignorant Windows loving peers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Macbook Pros are great because you can run (legally and easily) Windows, Linux, and Windows on the same system. The easiest install of Windows 7 I have ever performed was on my Macbook Pro. If you are going to game, get a nice big hard drive and boot camp it.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Franstone
@Burzmali: Well they may be but I was making a statement about Macs in general.
I have no idea about Macbooks specifically because...  (see previous comments)   : )