rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@korwin said:

@evilsbane said:

Still has useless boob armour though, nothing says stab me directly in the middle of my chest like iron forged cleavage.

I dunno. That might be the most modest and practical (for a warrior) outfit for a high-profile female superhero I've ever seen. No midriff, no spandex, no inexplicable thong. The more I see it the more I like it.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@korwin: Yeah, that was my first reaction when I saw it. The seemingly unavoidable need to make sure that boobs are readily apparent on armored female characters regardless of the medium, film, games, comics, etc, annoys me to no end. If it offered some benefit sure, but it doesn't, it creates a flaw that makes the wearer more vulnerable than normal armor would be. It is small details like this that tend to bother me, that and that apparently Thor loses his name? Seriously it isn't a title, why does it get passed along with the hammer?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: It's still a comic book design, after all. Unnecessary parts for sex appeal are practically a requirement.

Though, the new Batgirl costume does stray from that a bit.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By MrWakka

@truthtellah said:
@crimsonavenger said:

I thought Thor was his name, not his title.

It's sort of both? As far as I understand it, his spirit became tied to a mortal through the hammer. So, technically, his name is Thor but the person's name doesn't have to be Thor. It isn't ridiculous to imagine that he might have a woman with his spirit from the hammer, but heck, what do I know? It's comics. heh. I think this silliness is why it's not a big deal for them to mix it up like this. Why not? Let creators have fun with it.

That origin story has been retconned for a long time now. I think eventually it was established he was always Thor, but that he had lost his memory when Odin had exiled him to midgard, and countless changes to that since I am sure.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#155  Edited By defaultprophet

@korwin said:

@evilsbane said:

@rockyraccoon37 said:

This is a new character, they didn't just turn Thor, son of Odin, into a woman. Great quote from Jason Aaron: “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

More details at The Mary Sue

And she looks badass:

No Caption Provided

That design is pretty amazing. Like Seriously one of the coolest looking female superheros ever drawn.

Still has useless boob armour though, nothing says stab me directly in the middle of my chest like iron forged cleavage.

Sounds like a good place to have your thickest armor then.

Hello Batman's kevlar under his bat symbol,

Edit: Boob Armor is dumb. But your reasoning isn't why.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrwakka said:

@truthtellah said:
@crimsonavenger said:

I thought Thor was his name, not his title.

It's sort of both? As far as I understand it, his spirit became tied to a mortal through the hammer. So, technically, his name is Thor but the person's name doesn't have to be Thor. It isn't ridiculous to imagine that he might have a woman with his spirit from the hammer, but heck, what do I know? It's comics. heh. I think this silliness is why it's not a big deal for them to mix it up like this. Why not? Let creators have fun with it.

That origin story has been retconned for a long time now. I think eventually it was established he was always Thor, but that he had lost his memory when Odin had exiled him to midgard.

So maybe they're retconning it again? heh. I can't keep up.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@evilsbane said:

@rockyraccoon37 said:

This is a new character, they didn't just turn Thor, son of Odin, into a woman. Great quote from Jason Aaron: “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

More details at The Mary Sue

And she looks badass:

No Caption Provided

That design is pretty amazing. Like Seriously one of the coolest looking female superheros ever drawn.

Sounds like a good place to have your thickest armor then.

Hello Batman's kevlar under his bat symbol

Like a lot of things in comics, it only works if you don't think about it much. I see a huge dude in some sort of armored suit charging at me, I am aiming for the one part obviously unarmored that also happens to be a pretty vulnerable part of the body. Plot armor is the only real effective armor most comic book characters have.

In the above image I like how the boob armor redirects not only to the center of the body, thus preventing a weapon such as a hammer like mjolnir from having its energy partially deflected and sliding off and away from the body, but also points anything sharp right under her gorget which the artist has kindly depicted a sizable gap beneath thanks to the boob armor design.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I'm both surprised and not surprised by some of the reactions. You would think comics, where so much can change and often time does, would be a little more understanding when these changes are announced. Why does a female Thor upset so many people?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

She is a new character, but yes she replaces Thor.

Also, no one cares. Thor in the comic books? Doesn't matter. It's not like they changed Captain America or Spider-man or Wolverine.

Plus like everyone else said - Man-Thor will definitely be back one day soon.

Most importantly, the design is really cool, and maybe they will actually have an interesting Thor character for the first time in the history of the series.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm both surprised and not surprised by some of the reactions. You would think comics, where so much can change and often time does, would be a little more understanding when these changes are announced. Why does a female Thor upset so many people?

I don't know if upset is the right word. To me its just a weird choice given all the options at their disposal, especially since they are using the name Thor for this woman. Other people have wielded Mjolnir, none have taken Thor's name from him when they did it, unless they were intentionally trying to pass themselves off as him. Since this appears to be someone new using Thor's hammer, which unless there are really weird stuff going on in asgardian law, doesn't make her a princess of Asgard, doesn't carry on the love/hate relationship with Loki, or familial disputes about duty with Odin. Essentially this isn't Thor is now a woman, but a woman now calls herself Thor. There is a difference, and maybe it will lead to new and interesting plots and storylines, who can say, but I also doubt it will be any more long lasting than various comic book deaths.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm cool with this. The original Thor is still around, they've just created a new lady Thor. Ultimate Spider Man is a black kid and he's awesome.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrwakka: That and like all boob armor, on the OTHER side of the surface you have metal directed to the middle of your chest....ie the area where you keep all the lifesupport for the 3 pound pilot ensconced in your skull. At least this boob armor doesn't meet as a point or edge like the worst offenders.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair to the community, most of the responses here have either been positive or, if negative, just a bit weary about how all of these big changes in comics are usually either PR stunts or reverted shortly after they're made, which is less a criticism of Thor-as-woman than of the propensity of comic book publishers to do both of those fairly often.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By EuanDewar

Don't even slightly know enough about comics to comment on the change as a whole (although I do think it's a cool idea) but I will say that I think her design is fucking rad. Just by virtue of being active on the internet I end up running across a lot of the big character redesigns and this is by far the most immediately appealing one I've seen in a while. Something about her just looks imposing. Far more so than her male counterpart who I find a little too goofy for my tastes.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't even slightly know enough about comics to comment on the change as a whole (although I do think it's a cool idea) but I will say that I think her design is fucking rad. Just by virtue of being active on the internet I end up running across a lot of the big character redesigns and this is by far the most immediately appealing one I've seen in a while. Something about her just looks imposing. Far more so than her male counterpart.

I can agree with that, aside from the impracticality of the design, she does look bad ass. Thor can look kind of goofy at times, this one image at least doesn't. Even if it still goes for the boob armor look, it isn't as drastic an example as many others in the comic book world.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@rorie said:

@finaldasa said:

To be fair to the community, most of the responses here have either been positive or, if negative, just a bit weary about how all of these big changes in comics are usually either PR stunts or reverted shortly after they're made, which is less a criticism of Thor-as-woman than of the propensity of comic book publishers to do both of those fairly often.

I have seen a lot of that, a lot of people not wanting this to just be PR related and actually would rather have a real honest effort. But there do seem to be a good portion of people getting very angry over this, just seems strange to me.

And I didn't really mean on GB, just in general. I like how calm it's been on here.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@korwin said:

@evilsbane said:

I dunno. That might be the most modest and practical (for a warrior) outfit for a high-profile female superhero I've ever seen. No midriff, no spandex, no inexplicable thong. The more I see it the more I like it.

Honestly her art may be what sells me on wanting to pick it up, or, at least look into it when it comes out/happens/howeveryouwanttosayit. The general idea is interesting enough, but suffers a lot from the comic industry's inability to really commit to much of anything for any period of time, which would otherwise make me shrug with indifference at the idea of a female Thor, but her design is pretty top notch and that artwork looks so great that I'm feeling inclined to pick it up, regardless of how long this whole thing might last (which hopefully it goes for quite awhile and this isn't just yet another flash in the pan stunt for attention... even though I know it is.)

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#171  Edited By NMC2008

Oh comics, you so crazy. I don't read comics, never have and I never will as they seem like they are a clusterfuck of mind numbing content. Why are they doing this exactly? I mean why are they REALLY doing this? Also, didn't someone want to make Spiderman suddenly gay not too long ago? I feel like I read that somewhere.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By audiosnow

"We couldn't write a decent female superhero- wait, superheroine, so we took it upon ourselves to rewrite some thousand-year-old mythology."

@humanity said:

There was Spider Woman, Bat Woman, Bat Girl, Super Woman, She Hulk.. heck even Wolverine got a sort-of female version in the form of a daughter.

It's more surprising that it took this long.

Those are all really lazy, too, though I'm not sure which is worse. I guess I'm glad I don't follow comics?

What's-his-face is going to be ticked when he doesn't get a call for Avengers 2... or 3... Like I said, I don't follow comics.

@rorie said:

Well I learned a new word today.

Gotta read Song of Ice and Fire.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cool. As long as they don't butcher her, and try to make her a female with a male mentality, I think it will be cool.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Sure why not.

At least it's not something horrifically dumb like Doctor Octopus stealing Peter Parker's body.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Socuteboss

Maybe it's just me being cynical, but I can't help but see the whole Thor getting demoted part of the story as some sort of contingency plan in case the comics featuring the new Thor sell poorly.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's just me being cynical, but I can't help but see the whole Thor getting demoted part of the story as some sort of contingency plan in case the comics featuring the new Thor sell poorly.

Nah, if i had to make a guess what will happen is OG Thor will come back regardless and take back his hammer and his role again. What will happen to ladythor? If no one really likes her then she'll just be forgotten about, but if she's well received she'll get her own spin off and her own powers and such. Thats my guess anyways

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By MrWakka

@clonedzero said:

@dick_bonerflex said:

Nah, if i had to make a guess what will happen is OG Thor will come back regardless and take back his hammer and his role again. What will happen to ladythor? If no one really likes her then she'll just be forgotten about, but if she's well received she'll get her own spin off and her own powers and such. Thats my guess anyways

Beta Ray Bill shows there is precedent for those who proved worthy of Mjolnir getting their own weapon once Thor reclaimed his. The name thing will be weird though.

Could actually be an attempt to sort of backdoor a new marvel heroine, building her off an established property before spinning her off into her own series, and hopefully as a result get enough hype to help sustain her own comic run. Launching new heroes tends to be difficult, so not a bad idea if it doesn't backfire.

@mlarrabee Been awhile, but She-hulk was great and needs a TV show, she is a defense attorney, it would be like Law & Order: Marvel. Though Harvey Birdman kind of mined similar territory.

@slag I actually kind of liked the concept of Superior Spiderman, weird as it was. I enjoy seeing villains thrust into the role of hero and seeing how they adapt. Some of the most fun examples of Lex Luthor, Magneto, or even Captain Cold have seen them in that position. Doc Ock was a weird choice, but why not.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goldone said:

I'll probably pick up a few issues and see how it goes. I'm surprised they made a big announcement about it though, figured something like this would be a bit more Loki.

You are the worst.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Do they have a comic based on Valkyrie? I don't read comics but I think instead of lady thor alt, maybe that would be a better story to explore.....

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: lol , no kidding.

Well I think this is more about testing the waters for Marvel, if they feel comfortable gender swapping characters it can allow theM to do the same with other characters. No real problem with that myself, I imagine the comic fans will have strong opinions on this.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@mrwakka said:

@slag I actually kind of liked the concept of Superior Spiderman, weird as it was. I enjoy seeing villains thrust into the role of hero and seeing how they adapt. Some of the most fun examples of Lex Luthor, Magneto, or even Captain Cold have seen them in that position. Doc Ock was a weird choice, but why not.

Yeah but not Spiderman though. That's not what makes that character work. He's the quintessential everyman type.

Wait you said "was". Is Peter Parker alive once more?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@goldone said:

I'll probably pick up a few issues and see how it goes. I'm surprised they made a big announcement about it though, figured something like this would be a bit more Loki.

You are the worst.

Also the best.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame said:

@demoskinos: lol , no kidding.

Well I think this is more about testing the waters for Marvel, if they feel comfortable gender swapping characters it can allow theM to do the same with other characters. No real problem with that myself, I imagine the comic fans will have strong opinions on this.

They already quite literally had Loki revived as a woman a few years back. I think this is already proving that they feel comfortable doing it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By TruthTellah

@rorie said:

@korwin said:

@evilsbane said:

I imagine you've seen the new Batgirl, right? I think she probably has the most practical female superhero outfit I've seen.

No Caption Provided

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adoggz: Don't really need that kind of sarcasm in here.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Yep, I generally dig it. Although having the hair come down behind the mask would seem to defeat the point of attempting to remain anonymous entirely.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@rorie said:

I think it'd be bold for Marvel or DC to promise that major changes like this or Steve Rogers dying, etc., would remain in effect for at least three or five years or something.

DC did an interesting sort of cheat version of that a while ago. After Infinite Crisis in '06, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman went missing. Their comics didn't stop, but they were suddenly under the banner "One Year Later". Their stories instantly jumped ahead one year, relating their return to society. At the same time, the series 52 started. A weekly fill-in-the-gap-a-thon that related the events week by week in real time when the DC "Trinity" weren't around.

It was actually a pretty great series, and it allowed for a bunch of the c-tier heroes (some of my personal favorites like Animal Man, The Question, Batwoman, Loki, Starfire, Steel, and a bunch more) to take center stage, having the reader know that the big 3 were never going to swoop in to save the day.

So yeah, a cheat for sure, but it was an effective way to satisfy all the fans differing tastes while still creating time in the continuity that explicitly lacked those certain huge characters.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@truthtellah: That's not bad. Still kind of head scratchingly latexy and stupidly tight, but at least it's not screaming sexuality.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: That's not bad. Still kind of head scratchingly latexy and stupidly tight, but at least it's not screaming sexuality.

Well, she is (I believe) supposed to be in high school, so that'd be a bit weird. And the image says it's leather, which I guess would be hot, but also at least mildly protective when it comes to scrapes and scratches.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@rorie: The leather and latex distinction is fine in theory, but in ink, one is going to look precisely like the other, unless she's wearing a cowhide bomber or something. Which... yeah, that'd be kind of awesome.

Speaking of teens with respectable designs, I thought Hazmat and the big red skull guy from the Avengers teen books had pretty great looks to them that felt young and fairly stylish without being uncomfortably inappropriate like X-23 in the young X-Men comics.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By TruthTellah

@rorie Yeah, I don't know how well it will hide her identity, but I guess that's pretty par for the course with comic heroes. I mean, one hero just takes off glasses to hide their identity. heh.

@sparky_buzzsaw I think it's maybe not as tight or shiny as it seems in that shot, but I'm not sure until I see the final comic. I think it's more like a tight leather jacket than anything super latexy. Doesn't appear -super- impractical, but still superhero outfit impractical.

No Caption Provided

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the record, the reason boob cup breast plates are stupid is because if say, someone hits you in the chest and you're a lady and it hits your steel breast, then if it hits the inner side, its going to deflect and redirect that blow down the valley so to speak, so it actually forces to to get hit with more impact.

Real breast plates are either curved or with a wedge to them to help redirect the blow off the chest so most of the energy and force is simply being deflected.

Steel boob cups get you killed! It's a fact!

Figured i'd share that pointless tidbit. Either way her design looks pretty awesome, it'd be cool if she got a badass shield too.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#196  Edited By TheHT

I dunno, I'd expect the more acrobatic heroes to wear more form-fitting outfits. Not stupidly revealing crap obviously, but the same sort of stuff I'd expect a rogue to wear, just more... superhero-y.

That new design looks like pretty much what I'd expect. The biggest standout besides her coat is her actual build, which looks more like the thin and spry I'd expect a Robin/Batgirl to be.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: That's fair. I wouldn't have the first clue what acrobats would want to wear, aside from some tumbling lessons in a few drama classes done by some folks in uni- and leotards.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She looks badass, but I think it's dumb she's also called Thor. I understand why, especially sales wise, but c'mon guys. C'maaaan.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: In one of the multitude of spiderman comics I am sure he is. Not read anything recently though, my comic reading comes and goes, usually along with the rise and fall of my disposable income. Last I heard superior spiderman was still a thing, can't say for certain though.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

@rorie said:

@oldirtybearon said:

I am so, so glad I dumped all my Marvel subs when they butchered the Ultimates imprint. This is one of the dumbest, most pandering ploys for new readers from them I've seen yet. As a life long comic reader you can imagine that covers a lot of ground. This would have been way better in the UMC line, but as a 616 title? Come on, nothing ever changes in 616. They'll play with this idea for a couple of issues and then big bad Mighty Thor will be back and this will be forgotten about. That's what bothers me about this, not the change itself (considering Ultimate Spider-Man is now a black kid named Miles, and he's a cool dude), but that since it's a 616 title it's such obvious bait it's not worth talking about.

At least over at DC they made a wide, sweeping change and it stuck.

Would you feel better about it if they committed to a timeframe for the change? It's odd; the reaction is always that "yeah, like that's going to be a permanent change," which I definitely get considering all the people who bought into the hype about The Death of Superman way back when.

I think it'd be bold for Marvel or DC to promise that major changes like this or Steve Rogers dying, etc., would remain in effect for at least three or five years or something. That would reduce the amount of eyerolling, but then it'd also possibly lock them into changes well after they've proven to be severely unpopular or editorially difficult to resolve.

It's funny you bring up Captain America dying because that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I read this news. I was all for killing Steve Rogers. It helped that the introduction of Bucky as the "new" Cap was a really good read (although that probably has more to do with Brubaker than the plot itself). As for your question, I really don't know if saying "hey guys this is going to be around for at least X number of years" would change anything. Marvel has a checkered history with this stuff. They've killed characters only for new writers to bring them back. They've maimed the timeline several times over with retcons and macguffins, they've just completely brutalized the 616 universe and it's, well, crap now.

It'd be nice if these kinds of changes just happened and they'd last. I'm not a fan of editorially mandated changes because it interferes with the story the writers and artists are trying to tell. When you get a ballsy storyline (like killing Cap, or "No More Mutants!" or whatever), it never sticks in the 616 because either long time fans will complain or new writers are all "fuck that I'm bringing Colossus back for the 17th bajillion time!"

As it stands, with the Marvel 616 continuity in particular, nothing ever changes and yet nothing ever sticks. That's part of why I was such a fan of the UMC line. It was a chance to give death permanence, it was a chance to have a unified continuity that didn't feel bolted on, and it was a chance to let the "status quo" of the 616 universe go out the window. For the most part it's done all of this. Characters stay dead and storylines have an air of consequence about them because of it. A female Thor would have worked much better in that environment specifically because nobody would be rolling their eyes and waiting for it to change back.

Personally I'm not a fan of yearly "events" as Marvel employs them. They're blatant cash grabs to try and boost sales and it seems like there's little to no thought put into how they'll "fix" what they break. Somebody inevitably waves a magic wand and all is back to normal. Maybe this is just my prejudice against the 616 continuity, but I got tired of it a long time ago and I can't help but wonder when all of this is finally going to bite Marvel in the ass. I'm hoping it will. Or at least Marvel will follow DC's path in rebooting the universe and sticking to it. These half measures only serve to piss people off and satisfy no one.

I personally want to praise you for saying this, because you basically nailed one of the biggest problems marvel has right now. Both Marvel and DC have succumbed to rectons and shameful cash grabs. And this isn't the only change they are actually doing, they also made captain america sick old man who's probably about to be replaced by sam wilson, because you know...why not?It won't last anyways. And the whole Original Sin event is a retcon/change fest as it is, because they are altering some crucial elements in many of the characters histories. Like recently, it has been revealed that Tony Stark is involved in hulks creation, which is bullshit. And the examples go on and on....

The stakes are never high these days because nothing ever really lasts.NOTHING. and how can it when you have guys like Rick remender killing and bringing characters back on a whim? He had a whole arc where most of the main characters were brutally slaughtered and then revived a few issues later. And DC isn't really to far off either IMO, because the people who work there reuse, rehash, and retcon original stories again and again, much like Marvel.