• 54 results
BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Your all-caps conversations about how Sony should take over the world and the PlayStation brand is the greatest thing invented since the atomic bomb won't get you anywhere, but actively using the latest PlayStation systems might. Sony is poised to kick off a new loyalty program that will dish out rewards and even sweepstakes opportunities to those most invested in the brand and those who buy, especially, content offered on PlayStation Network

This program is called "PlayStation Rewards," and it's set to be offered to anyone with a PSN account in Spring 2011. When it launches, you'll start at the lowest of its three tiers, called "Select." Only by buying new games, doing surveys, and purchasing select PSN content like PlayStation Home items, videos, games, and other content can you advance to the program's other two tiers: "Pro" and "Legendary." 

With each tier gained, you'll get new "recognition" for your effort. You'll also receive Rewards-"exclusive" rewards. Some of the examples Sony is tossing around right now, such as additional Home content, members-only sweepstakes (like a trip to CES 2011) and giveaways, are meant for everyone with an account regardless of tier, but I'm sure "Legendary" folks will get their due, as it sounds like it'll be a challenge to reach that level of status. Senior director of PSN Susan Panico says that "Legendary" will house, realistically, only the top 20-percent of users in a Kotaku conversation.

No Caption Provided

== TEASER =="PlayStation's most important asset is its loyal fans and PlayStation Rewards gives us an opportunity to show our appreciation for their amazing passion and desire to continually evolve the gaming world," Panico said in a statement. "We can't thank our fans enough for the feedback they have given us over the years and look forward to even more dialog to help us evolve PlayStation Rewards to make it the best possible loyalty program it can be."

A closed beta for the program is set to happen, with invites going to early adopters of PlayStation Plus and members of the Gamer Advisory Panel. From what we can tell, these invites won't be exclusive to these two groups, but it's safe to assume they'll soak up the majority considering this is a loyalty program and all. 

No Caption Provided

PlayStation Rewards sounds very similar PlayStation Plus, Sony's paid online service that offers member exclusive deals such as discounts and downloads. It's close, however, Sony is putting up a wall between the two. Speaking with Joystiq, Panico called this more of a "follow-up" to other PlayStation loyalty programs like the PlayStation Underground. The two won't be merging.

PlayStation Rewards also sounds pretty similar to Club Nintendo, which is a Nintendo loyalty program I've heard few complaints about. Sure, no-one normal gets anything of substantial value from membership, but I'd reckon the super fans out there are able to score some nice stuff, as will Rewards members.  

Are you into PlayStation enough to join its new program?
BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Your all-caps conversations about how Sony should take over the world and the PlayStation brand is the greatest thing invented since the atomic bomb won't get you anywhere, but actively using the latest PlayStation systems might. Sony is poised to kick off a new loyalty program that will dish out rewards and even sweepstakes opportunities to those most invested in the brand and those who buy, especially, content offered on PlayStation Network

This program is called "PlayStation Rewards," and it's set to be offered to anyone with a PSN account in Spring 2011. When it launches, you'll start at the lowest of its three tiers, called "Select." Only by buying new games, doing surveys, and purchasing select PSN content like PlayStation Home items, videos, games, and other content can you advance to the program's other two tiers: "Pro" and "Legendary." 

With each tier gained, you'll get new "recognition" for your effort. You'll also receive Rewards-"exclusive" rewards. Some of the examples Sony is tossing around right now, such as additional Home content, members-only sweepstakes (like a trip to CES 2011) and giveaways, are meant for everyone with an account regardless of tier, but I'm sure "Legendary" folks will get their due, as it sounds like it'll be a challenge to reach that level of status. Senior director of PSN Susan Panico says that "Legendary" will house, realistically, only the top 20-percent of users in a Kotaku conversation.

No Caption Provided

== TEASER =="PlayStation's most important asset is its loyal fans and PlayStation Rewards gives us an opportunity to show our appreciation for their amazing passion and desire to continually evolve the gaming world," Panico said in a statement. "We can't thank our fans enough for the feedback they have given us over the years and look forward to even more dialog to help us evolve PlayStation Rewards to make it the best possible loyalty program it can be."

A closed beta for the program is set to happen, with invites going to early adopters of PlayStation Plus and members of the Gamer Advisory Panel. From what we can tell, these invites won't be exclusive to these two groups, but it's safe to assume they'll soak up the majority considering this is a loyalty program and all. 

No Caption Provided

PlayStation Rewards sounds very similar PlayStation Plus, Sony's paid online service that offers member exclusive deals such as discounts and downloads. It's close, however, Sony is putting up a wall between the two. Speaking with Joystiq, Panico called this more of a "follow-up" to other PlayStation loyalty programs like the PlayStation Underground. The two won't be merging.

PlayStation Rewards also sounds pretty similar to Club Nintendo, which is a Nintendo loyalty program I've heard few complaints about. Sure, no-one normal gets anything of substantial value from membership, but I'd reckon the super fans out there are able to score some nice stuff, as will Rewards members.  

Are you into PlayStation enough to join its new program?
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By ZombiePie

sounds funky

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By swoxx

i so could have stolen first on this one! But i already got it and didn't wanna be a dick! anyways this seems pretty cool

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LoktarOgar

Avatars and Home content isn't exactly what I'd want from something like this, but ... oh well.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Demyx

Uh, I like free stuff. Doubt I'll get anywhere past the first tier.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By recroulette

Wait, so what the fuck is PS Plus supposed to be?

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Double0hFor

free stuff?

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#8  Edited By TadThuggish

More Home content?!  FINALLY! 

I can't wait till it comes out of Beta!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By MisterMouse

sounds like it is good for everyone in the long run

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RE_Player1

Sounds like a terrible version of Club Nintendo. The good thing about Club Nintendo is that you get coins for everything you buy and registers and you get actual prizes, like cases and posters. I couldn't care less about some Home t-shirt, I uninstalled that thing after 5 minutes. 

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Shasam
@TadThuggish said:
" More Home content?!  FINALLY!      I can't wait till it comes out of Beta! "
Sarcasm? Genuine? No, I am definitely going with sarcasm...for a while I was confused there. 

Free stuff is cool, everyone likes it and it doesn't hurt anyone. I, however, use my PS3 as a DVD/Blu-Ray player and my PSP sits there begging to be used. I am probably someone who won't get much from this, but I like the fact that it's there for the people who will. Good stuff.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Afroman269

Awesome because people need legitimate reasons to stay being a fanboy.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nukesniper

First, Home was mentioned a few too many times for me. Also, nope, I'm not who this system is targeted at. I use my playstation very rarely.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp

the only reward I need is cross game chat...seriously...

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FunExplosions

This is incorrect. Is what this is.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Jeust

Great idea. 

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By nick_verissimo

Hmm...do whatever you want Sony, Microsoft still has the better marketplace in my opinion.

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By radioactivez0r

I hope those people who are avid PS fans get their due from this, but I'm not going to change any spending habits for it.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AURON570

won't make any difference to me. I guess I'm slowly slumping into some weird category of "I don't game that often and don't buy too many games anymore but I still like play a game once in a while and also to keep up with the gaming news incase there's something I might miss and really want to get into."...Would that count as "casual" gamer? Honestly I don't think it matters *shrugs*

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I wish there was a reason to use my PSP.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jasonefmonk

I'm pretty happy with club Nintendo, I saved all of my coins up for one year, got a bunch of free posters and their Platinum award. Something similar for Sony would be awesome.

dieselv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dieselv2

Doesn't this contradict what PSN+ is a bit?

ruffedgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By ruffedgz

I'm game with this. Seems like a good idea for Sony Playstation to do to keep themselves in the gaming console wars ;)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

Sounds like the Nintendo Club stuff. If I had a PS3, I'd be happy two times over. However, I have a 360 instead, so I'll just be mad at Microsoft.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Siphillis

Does the PlayStation Network even come close to making a profit?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust

They're really going to entice people by offering exclusive Home crap.  Genius, Sony.  What they should do if offer cool, real world items like Nintendo does.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LiquidPrince
@nick_verissimo said:
" Hmm...do whatever you want Sony, Microsoft still has the better marketplace in my opinion. "
I disagree. They run essentially the same. Have done so for more then a year now.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By nintendoeats

Quick note: if you alter your spending habits based on this, you have lost the meta-game.

mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By mrcellophane

Legendary only houses " the top 20-percent of users in a Kotaku conversation"? Holy shit, I better get started on a Kotaku conversation right away!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By monkeyking1969

PlayStation Rewards is already and awkward flipper baby of an idea just as a beta because you can see even the main framework is flawed. You BUY prestige. That is a combination of a loyalty rewards system from a credit card mixed with the meta-game of a social network site. On a social network site you gain prestige by visiting pages, answering trivia, checking out new products, making wish lists, writing blogs, creating wiki entries, and in generally absorbing information. By absorbing information and, yeah viewing advertising in a billion ways you earn “site prestige”. In PlayStation Rewards you buy prestige. Want to be a “Super User” on PSN or PlayStation.com? Pay Us!  

They don’t want you to give a crap, just open your damn wallet. And even more crazy is that their loyalty rewards system is cheap. You buy a few full games, dozens of small games and you get a game? Nope? A $5 off coupon? Nope!!! A download code for a PSP Mini? Nope!!! No, Sony LIKES you so you get what should be free anyway…a PSN avatar or a PSN theme. WELL, GOLLY-WALLY! I’M GONNA PUT ON MY SUNDAY CHURCH-SUIT TO PICK UP THAT FAB-YOU-LOSS PRIZE!!!!! 

There are literally five dozen “user rewards” or “loyalty programs” systems to use as example, yet Sony seems to have used the most transparently money grabbing system then mix a prestige system with a loyalty system. This is not just dumb, it is insulting to the people it is aimed at rewarding. It’s not just craven, it is rude. PlayStation Rewards is a tax on stupidity. It doesn’t make me want to buy more item on PSN it makes we want to buy another XBOX 360 and toss my PS3 in a damn dumpster!    

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By crusader8463

Sounds good. Rewards the people who use the service and all the people bitching about it who would never use it anyway don't get anything.

KarlHungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KarlHungus

Speaking of playstation when will my trophies be on giantbomb?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iam3green

yeah, i don't think i'll get far on that. i don't like to take surveys and the rewards are going to be to expensive. they are just going to be in like the 10 thousands and to get things they are going to be like 100 points.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ravensword

I dont see a problem with this really. Your not paying anything to get this except if you have plus and you want it early in its beta, and your getting stuff for doing stuff you already do with you PS3. Why is this a bad thing? Dont like the rewards? big deal, its something. Plus theyll expand on it in the future. I kinda applaude SONY for doing something like this.
MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MaddProdigy

Didn't they just launch a Subscription based service that offered "exclusives"? Now they want people to pay for those on top of subscriptions? And also, how fucking desperate is it to use Pro as one of the categories. "Oh look, you're not a pro gamer unless you pay us money." They expect people to fall for that? Questions, questions, Sony is screwin up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be238a166762
deactivated-5be238a166762

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should anyone expect this to roll out outside of the US, Europe, Japan, Australia?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Akeldama

As someone who already uses the PSN and buys a ton of shit from the store, this pleases me.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Karl_Boss

Damn it why isn't Microsoft rewarding me?

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39  Edited By recroulette

Apparently select PS plus members get a beta invite.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By ESREVER

I just received a beta invite for the rewards program for being a G.A.P. member. 

I didn't even know GAP was still relevant. But I look forward to this program, sounds interesting, and free stuff is always nice!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Branthog

This smells of desperation. I have about 2,000 games for my PC (more than 300 on Steam alone). I have almost 300 games for my 360. I have about ten games for my Wii. I have about 20 games for my PS3. A loyalty program is a poor substitution for actual content. 

I want a reason to buy games for PS3 over other platforms. I want a reason to turn my PS3 on other than streaming content from my media servers across the room. Don't give me this "loyalty" program bullshit.

strayconfusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By strayconfusion

I just got my invite, but won't have time to check it out till later. I wonder if the rewards will retroactively apply to past purchases. I've probably spent a couple thousand dollars on PSN between the PS3 and PSP Go, so it'd be a good thing to figure out.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Branthog said:
" This smells of desperation. I have about 2,000 games for my PC (more than 300 on Steam alone). I have almost 300 games for my 360. I have about ten games for my Wii. I have about 20 games for my PS3. A loyalty program is a poor substitution for actual content.  I want a reason to buy games for PS3 over other platforms. I want a reason to turn my PS3 on other than streaming content from my media servers across the room. Don't give me this "loyalty" program bullshit. "
only for you its desperation.  
i have zero games on pc, 3 games on 360, and like 25 on ps3. 
Avatar image for cackatalltrades
cackatalltrades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cackatalltrades

boo! shameless... that being said i like free stuff, but i won't buy needlessly to receive it.

orange_pork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By orange_pork

Loyalty? Really?

Huh. Well, gotta tap into that fanboy market somehow.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By Addfwyn

Well, since I buy all my stuff on PS3 anyway, unless it's only available elsewhere...then yes, I'll take my free stuff, thank you Sony. 

Won't actually change my buying habits at all, but if I get rewarded for my old buying habits, that' just fine by me.

jamaicanidler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jamaicanidler

Nice. I want to be rewarded :)

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DeadManRollin

Most loyalty programs fail due to profit motive and inflexibility of the organization involved. If you think you can give free stuff to people and still make a buck out of it, that'll not work. I hope Sony will do a better job than other organizations.
TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By TrashMustache

the more money you spend on PSN the closer you get to earning a "legendary" status, jesus what an obvious con.

GozerTC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By GozerTC

*Shrugs*  

Free crap.  It's all SWAG probably so eh.  I'll buy PS3 stuff if/when I want to, reward program or no reward program.