Pick your poison: Anime or Wrestling

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Aegon

Poll Pick your poison: Anime or Wrestling (654 votes)

Anime 69%
Wrestling 32%

If anime is for jerks, then who is wrestling for? (You don't want to hear my answer).

• 
newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i've never seen wrestling sexualise pre-teen girls, so i am probably going to stick with that

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Anime exemplefies the worst of the human race.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Aegon

i've never seen wrestling sexualise pre-teen girls, so i am probably going to stick with that

@thehbk said:

Anime exemplefies the worst of the human race.

No Caption Provided

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Hadoken101

I used to be into anime, but for whatever reason I haven't really cared to watch any of it for like 3 years. On the other hand I just spent the vast majority of the last couple days watching wrestling so I guess my vote is pretty clear.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I voted anime but I think most people are comparing all of anime to a very small portion of wrestling and that's a bit unfair.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

I dunno. Has Anime ever given people this kind of a reaction?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@clonedzero: Its complicated or at least it is for me because so much of it is tied to my childhood. As a kid I think the instant attraction is that these guys in the ring playing these outlandish characters are as close to real life superheros as there really is. Its a classic story. The good guy gets wronged gets beaten down and then comes back and defeats his nemesis. Its classic story telling. Being older now I think I continue being interested in it because I appreciate the athletic ability of these guys and gals doing what they do. I just find the business fascinating in general. At its core its about the emotional journey it can take you on. When you really want a guy to win and he is getting pinned for the 1...2... and then boom he kicks out your heart sinks and then explodes with excitement all within literally half a second. There is some awful wrestling and like a lot of things you get a lot of filler in between the really good stuff but when its REALLY good its REALLY good.

That is professional wrestling in a nutshell its marveling at athletic feats its story telling both in and outside the ring and its taking you on an emotional journey through all of that. That is why it doesn't matter if its scripted because even if you know its scripted even if you know logically so and so should be winning this match because it only makes sense the writers can STILL get you and throw swerves in that you never saw coming. I do think though that most people who are deeply passionate about it most likely got into it as a kid.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's strange, for my entire life I never watched either but this year I decided to try a little of both with wrestling holding my interest more.

I've been keeping up with the weekly RAW's and pay per views since the royal rumble and a few months ago I decided to watch my first anime which was Redline.

Wouldn't even know where to go from there with anime, that's probably my problem, at least with wrestling I know when and what to watch as it happens every week.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

If that's a sincere question, yes, actually.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

@turboman said:

Has it ever involved a buildup that's lasted for 22+ years?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Turambar

@turboman said:

@turambar said:

@turboman said:

Have you seen DBZ?

Also Gundam Build Fighters is essentially the end result of a buildup that has lasted 35 years.

McDayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Used to be into wrestling during the NWO and Attitude eras. Then lost interest and got into anime during the Toonami era. Now I'd have to say anime over wrestling. There is enough of it that the occasional movie or series is worth watching.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

@turboman said:

@turambar said:

@turboman said:

Have you seen DBZ?

My friend (also a wrestling fan) tried to get me into it during Middle School and I watched a fair bit with him. I couldn't really get into it all that much.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@turambar said:

@turboman said:

@turambar said:

@turboman said:

Have you seen DBZ?

My friend (also a wrestling fan) tried to get me into it during Middle School and I watched a fair bit with him. I couldn't really get into it all that much.

I don't think anyone truly gets into it so much as they absorb it through osmosis.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, oh man. That is like choosing between two of your own children!

And by god I hate children... Can I choose neither?

Fine. I pick Anime then, it is the lesser of two dumb evils I suppose.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By turboman

@turambar: See, I watch that and realize that it's super insane in many ways how the Venn Diagram of Anime fans and Wrestling fans have so few people in the middle (as a fan of both) because from a distance they're the same fucking thing.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@turambar: See, I watch that and realize that it's super insane in many ways how the Venn Diagram of Anime fans and Wrestling fans have so few people in the middle (as a fan of both) because from a distance they're the same fucking thing.

I think a lot of anime fans are also wrestling fans. Many wrestling fans enjoy anime, as well. Wrestling has similarities to a good number of anime, and while you may not hear them talked about together too often, I've met plenty of fans who have liked both at one time or another.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Retromancy

I don't like wrestling. I like wrastlin'.

EDIT: I don't mind anime when it's actually good. I'm a huge fan of Cowboy Bepop. Anime and wrestling are actually really similar, you can even draw comparisons like Attack on Titan being exactly like the Reality Era of WWE, both are almost complete shit with only a few redeeming qualities.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

Well, I can explain how it breaks down for me: only one of the two has giant robots.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By Hunter5024

I would've said both until Taker's match tonight! But I'm willing to say both again after the main event.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime no contest ... in fact I want to do that for the rest of my life and a big eff to all those who thinks it is the worst thing ever , pricks (not to the ones who just dont like it , I have no grudge against them ,as I dont like a lot of stuff either)

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@clonedzero: Its complicated or at least it is for me because so much of it is tied to my childhood. As a kid I think the instant attraction is that these guys in the ring playing these outlandish characters are as close to real life superheros as there really is. Its a classic story. The good guy gets wronged gets beaten down and then comes back and defeats his nemesis. Its classic story telling. Being older now I think I continue being interested in it because I appreciate the athletic ability of these guys and gals doing what they do. I just find the business fascinating in general. At its core its about the emotional journey it can take you on. When you really want a guy to win and he is getting pinned for the 1...2... and then boom he kicks out your heart sinks and then explodes with excitement all within literally half a second. There is some awful wrestling and like a lot of things you get a lot of filler in between the really good stuff but when its REALLY good its REALLY good.

That is professional wrestling in a nutshell its marveling at athletic feats its story telling both in and outside the ring and its taking you on an emotional journey through all of that. That is why it doesn't matter if its scripted because even if you know its scripted even if you know logically so and so should be winning this match because it only makes sense the writers can STILL get you and throw swerves in that you never saw coming. I do think though that most people who are deeply passionate about it most likely got into it as a kid.

Bingo.

I've been fortunate enough to see quality wrestling and anime in my 21~ years of life, but I'd take wrestling over anime. I have fond memories of rushing home to see Toonami as a kid and staying up late at night to watch the mature series on Adult Swim, but those can't really compare to what wrestling has done to me. As a kid, I got emotionally invested in the stories that Vince and others put out on a weekly basis, but I was also caught up in the athleticism that they displayed. Between Stone Cold Steve Austin's attitude and the high-flying antics of the Hardy Boyz, I was completely invested in the WWF/E product. It's amazing how something as simple as SCSA's theme hitting is enough to give me goosebumps and bring out my inner child.

On a slightly unrelated note, it's not uncommon for my friends and I to bring up a random wrestler and get stuck reminiscing for 30~ minutes. Back in the day, everyone wanted to be The Rock/SCSA/Triple HHH, and Trish Stratus was the best combination of athleticism/attractiveness on the planet.

Trish Stratus is still the most attractive woman on Earth.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

animation is my life, wrestling was a phase.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

For me wrestling, especially what takes place in the ring, is baffling and utterly alien, whereas anime is actively repugnant. Having liked a handful of anime in the past only makes it easier to recognize the embarrassing, soul-deadening sewage it mostly consists of.

Old wrestling promos from the late 80s/early 90s, on the other hand, are fantastic and a proud product of our culture.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Man at least anime has the possibility of having good writing.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Man at least anime has the possibility of having good writing.

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime I would guess?

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Anime I lost interest in wrestling along time ago. Nowadays, its mostly Naruto and reading the manga of it. BTW...its funny in the latest manga chapters of Naruto where it reveals what Naruto and Sasuke really are...HUGE SPOILERS.

When the sage of the six path reveals that both characters are a reincarnation of his sons. Naruto has Asura's spirit flowing in him, and Sasuke has indra spirit.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wrestling isn't much of a thing (That I'm aware of) in the Land Down Under, I think I had one friend who was kind of into it, but mostly just played the games? On the other hand, I have plenty of friends who are into anime, so I ended up watching it just through proximity.

Actually, I wouldn't even know how to access wrestling here, I'd probably have to pay for tv like a bogan with too much cash...

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By GTCknight

Anime hands down.

No Caption Provided

Call me when wrestlers take out a Russian tank covered in composite meat armor.

All glory to Honnouji Academy!!

Also everything Macross and mecha.

No Caption Provided

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By EVO

I rarely watch anime, but I completely lost interest in wrestling soon after it became WWE.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ripelivejam

i wouldn't consider myself an anime fan but some of my very favorite things are anime or can be tenuously grouped with them (Cowboy Bebop, GitS, Evangelion, Ghibli films... which are more generally awe-inspiring animation but w/e... Avatar: The Last Airbender/Kora?)

i have next to no familiarity with wrestling or its soap-operatic subplots, but i do find it endlessly hilarious in an outsider's viewpoint way. also Randy Savage is my hero (ok that's actually Carl Sagan and Macho Man is nowhere near that territory, but i do love the dude)..

..so wrestling hands down -_-

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Man I can't believe I would ever say this. But wrestling is TOO stupid for me. And I like anime! Something is wrong here....

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Anime is for people too stupid to appreciate the drama that is pro wrestling. Anime IS full of shit animation and animators, wrestling has some of the best athletes in the world #dealwithit

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#85  Edited By obcdexter

I like a bit of both every now and then. Both tend to have terrible writing, though, on very different levels. I'd love to see anime writers do some storylines for the WWE, however, that could lead to some neat innovations, like mid-match promos, prerecorded inner monologues playing during the more tedious "sleeper hold"-parts of a match. Lots of genius wunderkind-like characters would pop up, deconstructing each other's psyches on a weekly basis. Uncalled for ultra-violence. Suicides. And all the divas are secretly in love with the tall, androgynous, fragile fella in the roster--which would be the Undertaker by now, I guess. :P

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#86  Edited By Dimsey

I like both a great deal.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Never liked wrestling, tried to get into it twice (once during the 80s at school, then during the early 2000s with some college friends) but i never understood how everyone got so invested in the "storylines" and how excited they would get whilst watching it. Anime on the other hand has been a huge part of my life since age 5 when battle of the planets, Getter Robo and UFO Grendizer where doing the rounds so thats my choice.

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By billymaysrip
FeaturesAnimeWrestling
More often than not, bad storylines
Over the top acting and emotions
Ridiculous moves that no one would do in a real fight
Weird fetishism of women/women are always scantily clad
Designed almost exclusively for the male audience
Replace the hole in your life left by having no friends

I still pick anime.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Anime can actually be entertaining.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By RonGalaxy

When you break it down, anime is just a regional art style (at least that's how I see it). How it's executed upon is entirely up to the creator working on the movie/show/manga utilizing that particular style. Wrestling is wrestling. It's always comically ridiculous, even when it's taking itself seriously. Its a bunch of roided up dudes playing ridiculous caricatures, while partaking in a macho ballet of suplexes and chokeslams. Not to mention that it happens live in front of a crowd.

Anime can be anything you want it to be. It can be a beautiful, action packed, funny, scary, melancholic, dramatic. Wrestling is very limited in that respect, which is why Anime is the clear winner. Really, it's pretty stupid to even compare the two. Anime is a genre unto itself. Wrestling is an esoteric pseudo sport/live performance that requires a stupid amount of suspension of disbelief to get enjoyment from its brand of absurdity. Personally, I think watching muscley guys play make believe is not interesting at all. It can be hilarious, but there's not enough there for me to care (there was during the nWo days, but thats long in the past).

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Anund

At least anime has boobs.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always found the "you know it's fake right?" argument to be the weakest argument against wrestling. Especially since you can apply it to literally every other storytelling medium around. Bryan Cranston doesn't cook meth, Jason Statham doesn't go around everywhere wearing classy suits and beating the shit out of people, and Westeros doesn't actually exist. A little suspension of disbelief is how people buy into wrestling storylines because it's just another TV show. It hasn't even been presented as real for decades at this point so the argument is just kind of pointless.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By stryker1121

"Wrestling is dumb because it's fake" is an argument that doesn't wash. Many pro wrestlers are great athletes and their bodies take a very real battering. I'm not much of a fan these days, but the Monday Night Wars were great fun. Anime I don't have nearly as much exposure to. From what I've seen there's lots of screaming, sweating, upskirts, demons and flying teddy bears.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#95  Edited By crusader8463

Anime is more varied so it would entertain me longer so I picked that.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew out of wrestling at around age 10 and only got into anime at age 17, so... pretty sure wrestling is more childish than anime. They are still both for manbabies. Real men don't watch either, but real men are a rare breed these days. I wish I was a real man, with a beard and muscles and such.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wrestling, no question.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anime, but I will admit that anime has far fewer reaction gifs. So... Anime 1 wrestling 1?

Kaymai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Kaymai

I think ones interest in wrestling highly depends on it's effect on them as children. You need children to be attached to wrestling in order the business to grow. Then as you get older and smartened yourself up to the business more you come to really appreciate just how much those guys really destroy their bodies to entertain you. Then ones appreciation goes from their intruige or affection for certain characters to their respect for the workers.

Anime you can kinda approach that from any age or background and find something somewhere to appreciate. I like the art style of a lot but I tend to not like most animes. My all time favorite is sailor moon and...that's about as far as it goes for me.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#100  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

Anime. It can be cool sometimes.