Royal Mail - I couldn't hate you more right now!

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

I'm sure some of my fellow UK based Giantbomb users have been hearing or even affected by Royal Mail employees being all nice right before Christmas and deciding to go on strike for pretty crappy reasons. Well I've been having all sorts of problems with them, I even got angry when I went to my nearest sorting centre. Felt a bit stupid afterwards though, wasn't the poor kid's behind the desk's fault. Went and apologised, but still it's driving me mad.  

It's affecting me in many ways with despatching stuff and crap, but one thing that as drove me mad is with my iPod Touch part. I'm currently in the middle of fixing a broken screen and ordered a digitizer a month back, the seller despatched it a month back and still yet to receive it. Worst of all is that the Royal Mail know where it is and the fact is that they won't be sorting out the backlog any time soon, so it's stuck in London and will probably be for a good month or longer more. I used my iPod Touch endlessly for all sorts of things so not having it sucks big time. Damn you Royal Mail.  

Have no sympathy for Royal Mail right now, kind of wish the Government would finally give the contract to TNT UK who keep asking for it every so often. I suspect the population of the UK have little sympathy for them either, with the Christmas Period starting and so many unemployed, it all feels wrong and selfish on the part of Royal Mail employees.  

Anyone else being affected by it?

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

The contracts should be up for grabs instead of Royal Mail just having them, doesn't seem right with the fact they're striking so much.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By noextralife

@TrueEnglishGent:

Its cause for concern, if the strikes do go ahead with seems a given at this point, its going to cause havok with alot of games i've ordered, although I won't be taking any chances this week and picking certain games up from the high street.

As far as having no sympathy for Royal Mail employees its hard to say, on one hand I don't fully understand there situation so I have no real idea about there causes for complaint, but yes, I am one of those unemployed and it looks like it will remain that way over the Christmas period, and in that respect apart of me thinks it is very selfish to be demanding improvements over pay and jobs and will do them no favours in the publics opinion, as at the end of the day we are the ones getting shafted by it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

I thought the days of these kinds of strikes was a thing of the past.  I can't remember the last time we had a strike with Australia Post (who are genuinely efficient as a government business).  Some unions still like to bite the hands that feed them.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Griddler

Yep, the Royal Mail suck. They're in my good books at the moment though seeing as I got my copy of Uncharted 2 two days before release.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

I can see why they're striking and i'd hardly say it's for crappy reasons but I can see why it's a pain.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Pie

I hear people who ordered Borderlands online are geting there copies a few days early to avoid the strikes

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

The strikers have their point, but I as a customer could not give a fuck about it quite frankly.  I hate Royal Mail for reasons aside from this recent strike action, my business has suffered directly from their continuously crappy and downright shoddy service. The sooner the government sell up the better things will be for all. In the meantime I will choose to use UPS and DHL to have important mail delivered.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By raidingkvatch

It's seems like both sides of this trade dispute are being pig-headed, Royal MAil are refusing to go into negotiation and the union is jumping straight to the option of striking, without realising the RM's business just isn't what it used to be and strikes might now could kill it forever.
More personally, having recently applied for XMas work there I'm a bit worried about having to cross a picket line, I believe in the unions, we need them to ensure workers don't get screwed and I've got a strong unionist family history, but I'm unemployed and if I turn down an opportunity to work I could stop getting my JSA

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meltac

What!? I just ordered something from England .. meh, hope I'll get it soon =/

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By noextralife
@raidingkvatch said:
" It's seems like both sides of this trade dispute are being pig-headed, Royal MAil are refusing to go into negotiation and the union is jumping straight to the option of striking, without realising the RM's business just isn't what it used to be and strikes might now could kill it forever. More personally, having recently applied for XMas work there I'm a bit worried about having to cross a picket line, I believe in the unions, we need them to ensure workers don't get screwed and I've got a strong unionist family history, but I'm unemployed and if I turn down an opportunity to work I could stop getting my JSA "
Your right in the same boat as myself, I was looking at there employment options after reading about them wanting to bring on 30,000 extra staff over the holidays, im also on job seekers and it can be abit of a concern when approaching something like this (afew weeks temp work sometimes isn't worth losing your JSA and having to re-apply), although i've no problems pushing my way past picket lines if it means collecting a pay cheque at the end of the week, thats just harsh reality.
Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Insectecutor
@girdz said:
" Yep, the Royal Mail suck. They're in my good books at the moment though seeing as I got my copy of Uncharted 2 two days before release. "
Actually they're a pretty efficient postal service for a very low price compared to the rest of Europe. If the customer didn't get pissed off the strike would be pointless. So hey. I don't know anyone who works for Royal Mail but I wish you the best. Just hurry up my Edge and my LoveFilm when you're done.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

that sucks for people who need some mail but people are on strike.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crunchUK

It's so stupid - You can get made redundant in seconds, nobody cares but if you DONT DO YOUR JOB they are legally obliged NOT to fire you...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My preorder of Forza 3 was dispatched today from Shopto.net, meaning I got free 1st class, so with any luck I should get it tomorrow. If I don't then there will be the strikes so I will get it Saturday prolly.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By mracoon

I hope this doesn't mess up my Borderlands pre-order.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By OmegaPirate

Ive had several pre-orders go days to a week without delivery after release date thanks to these cunts 

Even if they are justified in their reasons, i have no sympathy for them - at the end of the day why should anyone support them, when due ot their actions, people are losing jobs, mortgages, loans and housing because of documents and payments not going through? 

Just because they have a little beef with their job, they think it's fine to disrupt and in some cases outright ruin peoples livelihoods? Fuck those guys! 

I hate my job and there's other branches of my company that operate better than my own but that doesn't give me the damn right to strike out!

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By turbomonkey138

Having worked for the royal mail i can say you don't know how shit it is to work there everyday . So stop whining they definitely deserve ALOT More then they get .

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

The BBC need to show that old Panorama episode again, and the follow up one that was filmed AFTER the reforms ( -it's a fucking joke), so others feel the same way about them. 

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

It's actually slightly more complicated than that mate.  While the Royal Mail actually contracts out a lot of their work to other companies for delivery they still send things through the Royal Mail's channels.  ie the same trains, the same vans, the same offices and the same posties.  You can tell that if your mail has been subcontracted by the stamp on it, if it has been subcontracted the Royal Mail gets roughly 1/4 the money for the postage.  If it has the Royal Mail symbol on it then it's actually been sent by them, if it doesn't it's "sent" by another company through the Royal Mail's systems.  So while the Royal Mail is claiming that they are sending less letters and are therefore hiring less staff they are actually delivering more mail per day than they did 10 years ago.  

But I'll agree that this is a shitty way to act that really fucks with everyone else's plans.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By damswedon

to get Brutal Legend on time i paid the extra money for Shopto to send it by another service. 
also the comic site i use just straight up told me that they aren't shipping while the strike is going off, but they did let me order all the comics i wanted for the next month or two.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turbomonkey138

How would you feel working 21 hours and getting paid 3.20 an hour . They deserve way more . If you haven't worked there then you don't have a clue how shit the job is .

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lowbrow

You have my sympathies, my European brothers. 

Sucks when government institutions decide that while the rest of the world is falling apart, and no one can find jobs, these guys decide its vacation time!

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#24  Edited By Soap

I hate strikes in the UK, it's more about how fucking lazy people are than how greedy they are. A great example of this is that here in London the tubes strike all the time, they close down all the stations and the city literally loses BILLIONS in lost man hours, it's completely fucking selfish, but when I was in japan and the tubes striked in tokyo they simply opened the gates, kept working and let everyone ride for free. People got to work, and the only people that lost out was the train company.

Something like that should happen with the royal mail, they should just send everything, regardless of if it has a stamp or not, and promote sending mail without stamps.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Got my copy of Forza 3 from Royal Mail this morning.
I'm pretty happy.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentofChaos

Good for the Royal Mail to go on strike. The USPS gets treated like shit here in the states and they really dont strike.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By jonnyboy

My sorting office (Limehouse) has been on strike for months, I get one lot of post a week if I'm lucky, and I'm still waiting for stuff from months ago. If you call the number they give you, they tell you to come and pick it up, but if you get there after lunch they've left their picket and fucked off home. What's the point of being on strike if you're not there to tell anyone?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crunchUK
@Soap said:
" I hate strikes in the UK, it's more about how fucking lazy people are than how greedy they are. A great example of this is that here in London the tubes strike all the time, they close down all the stations and the city literally loses BILLIONS in lost man hours, it's completely fucking selfish, but when I was in japan and the tubes striked in tokyo they simply opened the gates, kept working and let everyone ride for free. People got to work, and the only people that lost out was the train company.  Something like that should happen with the royal mail, they should just send everything, regardless of if it has a stamp or not, and promote sending mail without stamps. "
That, is a simply brilliant way of striking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crunchUK said:
" @Soap said:
" I hate strikes in the UK, it's more about how fucking lazy people are than how greedy they are. A great example of this is that here in London the tubes strike all the time, they close down all the stations and the city literally loses BILLIONS in lost man hours, it's completely fucking selfish, but when I was in japan and the tubes striked in tokyo they simply opened the gates, kept working and let everyone ride for free. People got to work, and the only people that lost out was the train company.  Something like that should happen with the royal mail, they should just send everything, regardless of if it has a stamp or not, and promote sending mail without stamps. "
That, is a simply brilliant way of striking. "
+1
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rhaknar

I pre-ordered Borderlands from amazon.co.uk and now im worried I wont get it anytime soon (im outside the UK, but usually get games in 2 days from amazon)... damn it, i NEED borderlands

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hitchenson
@Rhaknar said:
" I pre-ordered Borderlands from amazon.co.uk and now im worried I wont get it anytime soon (im outside the UK, but usually get games in 2 days from amazon)... damn it, i NEED borderlands "
I also had an order for Borderlands from Amazon, I'm not risking it though, I've cancelled my order and I'll just pick it up from a shop in the morning. 
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Djeffers03

im so thankful that microsoft uses UPS for when you send the 360 in for repairs, because mine's due back anytime

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CandleJakk

Read this, it's written by a postman. I knew none of the reasons why they were striking, but this clears things up pretty well.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n18/maya01_.html  

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CABBAGES

I Used GAME to pre order forza 3 and paid the £2.95 next day delivery by Parcelforce thing so i should get it tomorrow. I had pre orderd borderlands from play.com but just canceld it as they have no other option for delivery than royal mail and i re orderd it from GAME. 
I can see the royal mail workers destroying royal mail if they continue to do this as i and many others will just choose to use other delivery companys.  

If you want to pre order stuff then the best place is GAME even tho i usually hate using them.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wolverine
@TrueEnglishGent: I'm not effected by it because I'm an American but I remember when I was planning my trip to London I had to get Royal Mail stamps. It was really difficult to buy Royal Mail stamps online, especially if you live in America.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blargh! My first class package of Forza 3 that should've arrived today hasn't yet. I doubt they will deliver it after 4PM.Now I won't get it until Saturday prolly.

FlintstoneFlop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FlintstoneFlop

Waiting on delivery of Pro Evo and Uncharted 2, would normally be here on Friday or Saturday, but with them striking Thursday and Friday it'll not be until sometime next week. Really stupid time a year to start strikes, gonna cause maximum disruption to the people they really want on their side - the customers.

noextralife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By noextralife

Looks like were all starting to see the effects, i ordered a new sony bluetooth headset and a bargin copy of resistance 2 from play.com at the same time, the game arrived this morning but not the headset so it looks like it'll be held back by all the strikes, on a note about GAME i've been getting e-mails saying my pre-order copies of MW2 (360) and Dragon Age (pc) won't be effected as they are taking measures to ensure delivery, but as some have stated anything from play.com that doesn't arrive today could get buggered.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Linkyshinks

For the record, despite my obvious anger earlier in this thread, I've got nothing against the postmen themselves, only the cunts in charge of them.   

Royal Mail should die, along with the Queen. 

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Linkyshinks said:
" For the record, despite my obvious anger earlier in this thread, I've got nothing against the postmen themselves, only the cunts in charge of them.    Royal Mail should die, along with the Queen.  "
see now thats understandable . I hate my boss too xD
akumasan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By akumasan

I work for the royal mail and I think that this whole strike is stupid. The union is holding the company off the edge of a cliff and using what basically amounts to suicide in order to get what they want...which is not to lose their jobs. The company is in a really precarious position financially, so this kind of action from the unions are stupid and I agree with everyone who is against it.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I just got an email from GAME.  Apparently they are using another postal service to deliver the games on time for no extra cost.  They give you the option of paying for your delivery but that doesn't seem like a great idea to me.  The game's going to come on the day of release either way.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rhaknar

well my amazon.co.uk borderlands shipped, lets see what happens now >_>

llaannccee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers