Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Note Tim's trusty bottle of "Back in Time" potion.
Super Meat Boy is a game that seems to come prepackaged with a near-lethal quantity of indie cred. It began its life as a Flash game on Newgrounds.com, the same website where Alien Hominid was born, which is not-so-coincidentally also run by Tom Fulp, one of the cofounders of The Behemoth. The hero is an animate cube of meat with a girlfriend named Band-Aid Girl and a nemesis named Dr. Fetus. It's not much of a stretch to imagine Spike Jonze doing a stop-motion movie based on Super Meat Boy featuring Zooey Deschanel with a soundtrack by Animal Collective it's so goddamn indie.

As if that weren't enough, yesterday it was revealed that Tim, that diabolical "protagonist" from Braid, would be an unlockable character in Super Meat Boy. Jonathan Blow might not want to do a sequel for Braid, but apparently he's not above loaning out his characters for cameos in other games. I wonder how long until Tim shows up in a Smash Bros. game...
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Note Tim's trusty bottle of "Back in Time" potion.
Super Meat Boy is a game that seems to come prepackaged with a near-lethal quantity of indie cred. It began its life as a Flash game on Newgrounds.com, the same website where Alien Hominid was born, which is not-so-coincidentally also run by Tom Fulp, one of the cofounders of The Behemoth. The hero is an animate cube of meat with a girlfriend named Band-Aid Girl and a nemesis named Dr. Fetus. It's not much of a stretch to imagine Spike Jonze doing a stop-motion movie based on Super Meat Boy featuring Zooey Deschanel with a soundtrack by Animal Collective it's so goddamn indie.

As if that weren't enough, yesterday it was revealed that Tim, that diabolical "protagonist" from Braid, would be an unlockable character in Super Meat Boy. Jonathan Blow might not want to do a sequel for Braid, but apparently he's not above loaning out his characters for cameos in other games. I wonder how long until Tim shows up in a Smash Bros. game...
#2 Posted by Kinarion (378 posts) -

Holy shit, Flesh Canoe better be on the soundtrack. 

#3 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

Apparently the dude who's making Super Meat Boy worked on Braid as an animator and character designer.

#4 Posted by MeatSim (10892 posts) -

Is it cannibalism if I eat super meat boy? 

#5 Posted by MeatSim (10892 posts) -

Is it cannibalism if I eat super meat boy?

#6 Posted by FlipperDesert (2096 posts) -

The chubby, mischeivous-looking, Soulja Boy-esque reimagining of Tim has stolen my heart.

#7 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Awesome. I love the inclusion of the back-in-time potion.

#8 Posted by Timothy (54 posts) -

Awesome, I'm all for more games with characters named Tim.

#9 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1148 posts) -

This is relevant to my interests.

#10 Posted by Alphazero (1539 posts) -

He never runs out of that potion, you know.

If you're not indie, forget you.

#11 Posted by AllanIceman (1323 posts) -

Just bought Braid on steam.  Great so far.

#12 Posted by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -

Woo, indie! Woo, Braid! Woo, Super Meat Boy! This is the kind of gaming news I <3 to hear about.

#13 Posted by Milkman (17001 posts) -

Animal Collective sucks.

#14 Posted by TehFro (25 posts) -

Brothersport or GTFO

#15 Posted by Dalai (7040 posts) -

I'd watch that stop-motion movie... but replace Animal Collective with Fleet Foxes.

By the way, Super Meat Boy might be my most wanted WiiWare game at the moment.

#16 Posted by Aaron_G (1616 posts) -

Imagine Tim in Super Smash Bros. 

#17 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -

Just tried Meat Boy.

Floaty jumps and a little too sensitive character movements are a nuisance but its amusing.

But hey, this isn't just any Meat Boy!

It's Super Meat Boy!

Cough....

#18 Posted by Th3dz (332 posts) -

Tim is anti-hero.

#19 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Why's this filed under off topic? It's still a video game, even if it's on the Wii. Since it's the first time you post about the game, why not include that first screenshot and some more information about the gameplay, its flash prequel people can play right now, the awesome cow ad, the promise of a dozen indie game characters doing cameos for some kind of multi player mode, etc? And yes, Tim was designed by the artist of this game. Also, zoom in to the invisible bottom left here for a "surprise" related to this (animation test for Super Meat Boy as discussed here).

#20 Posted by raggedglory (219 posts) -

He should re-release Gish, that came is perfect for the download market of now

#21 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

The market hasn't changed that much and it probably was enough of a success seeing it was (is?) getting a sequel. But yeah, I guess a PSN/XBLA/WiiWare release would certainly bring him some welcome additional income. People can still buy it for PC if they want.

#22 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

A lot of articles seem to be filed under Off Topic lately for some reason. Looking back through the pages, there's Red Steel 2, Lost Planet 2, Max Payne on Xbox Originals, Ghostbusters, the Burnout Paradise update, and more. Ryan's not selective about which news articles go into Off-Topic; he does it with all of them. It's caused me to miss some articles, and I find I have to go to the news page to find them; which defeats the purpose of posting them on the forums in the first place.

#23 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the staff can move articles all over the forum though, remember some news article not to long being in off topic first and then was transferred to the game page. Wonder why it still is in off topic.

#24 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Not really interested

#25 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Hm, I should probably start playing Gish sometime.

#26 Posted by unclejohn0525 (336 posts) -

Check out my profile for Vinny's drawing as well. Others coming for the rest of the GB staff.

#27 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

It's great to see more Tim, and those quotes around "protagonist" are well-deserved.

#28 Posted by NukeGoBoom (492 posts) -

ANYTHING with Zooey Deschanell would be awesome...
Wait this is a Meat Boy news story fuck.

#29 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Alien Homicid just added to the "roster"

Commander Video from the Bit. Trip series will also be in it.
#30 Edited by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

I got super obsessed with the Meat Boy flash game at Newgrounds and passed the whole thing 100% during finals week :S
This is gonna be great!!

#31 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -
@G3RHRT said:
" I got super obsessed with the Meat Boy flash game at Newgrounds and passed the whole thing 100% during finals week :S This is gonna be great!! "
Look at how old the other posts are in this article. =P