Taken--a parable for virginity? And Liam Neeson is a bad ass.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

Just got back from Taken--and I thought the movie was pretty good.  It was sort of a "Bourne-light" type action/suspense movie with Liam Neeson (who is always awesome--thoughts go out to him and his family for his loss) being bad-assed.  The movie was always moving forward, and although does get a little silly, was totally worth my $7.

What I did find interesting was what it sort of had to say about sex/virginity.  Now TOTAL spoilers here (sorry, have no idea how to black crap out):  Liam's daughter goes to France with her girlfriend, Amanda, and both of them get kidnapped by Albanian's involved in the sex trade.  Well, stuff goes down and Liam, ex-CIA, goes on a rampage to find his daughter.  Well, towards the end of the movie, he manages to find the daughter's friend first--but she's found tied to a bed, and most likely overdosed from drugs the Albanian's forced on her.  Interestingly, Amanda, implies early on in the movie that she isn't a virgin, while the daughter is.  The fact that the daughter is a virgin, managed to prolong the daughter's life because she is "more valuable" on the sex market and was sold to a dude running an auction in teenage girls--thus keeping her alive/safe long enough for Liam to find her.  The daughter eventually is saved by our friend Liam and it ends well--except for Amanda who wasn't as "pure" or as "valuable" and died, tied to a bed, OD'd on drugs. 

I have no idea if the filmmakers even had this quasi "don't have sex" message in the movie, but I thought is was a interesting "hidden?" message on not having sex.  Think about it, the slutty girl is the person who makes contact with the kidnappers, and is the one who dies.  While the virgin is saved and lives.  Perhaps I'm the only person to have even thought of this connection and am crazy, but that was the first thing I though of when I came out of the movie.  Reminds me of an anthropology class I had back in college about urban legends--they were stories that had hidden "don't do it meanings".  For example--the babysitter gets a call from some creepy dude, and after a few calls she decides to trace the call and the call was IN THE HOUSE!!!:  lesson-girls should not be in a house alone.  Or the story about 2 young people making out in the car and hearing scratches at the door, and when they got home, A HOOK WAS ON THE DOOR!!!:  lesson--don't make out have sex.  Perhaps this is a movie with the hidden message about not having sex?  Just throwing it out there.
JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JCGamer

Just got back from Taken--and I thought the movie was pretty good.  It was sort of a "Bourne-light" type action/suspense movie with Liam Neeson (who is always awesome--thoughts go out to him and his family for his loss) being bad-assed.  The movie was always moving forward, and although does get a little silly, was totally worth my $7.

What I did find interesting was what it sort of had to say about sex/virginity.  Now TOTAL spoilers here (sorry, have no idea how to black crap out):  Liam's daughter goes to France with her girlfriend, Amanda, and both of them get kidnapped by Albanian's involved in the sex trade.  Well, stuff goes down and Liam, ex-CIA, goes on a rampage to find his daughter.  Well, towards the end of the movie, he manages to find the daughter's friend first--but she's found tied to a bed, and most likely overdosed from drugs the Albanian's forced on her.  Interestingly, Amanda, implies early on in the movie that she isn't a virgin, while the daughter is.  The fact that the daughter is a virgin, managed to prolong the daughter's life because she is "more valuable" on the sex market and was sold to a dude running an auction in teenage girls--thus keeping her alive/safe long enough for Liam to find her.  The daughter eventually is saved by our friend Liam and it ends well--except for Amanda who wasn't as "pure" or as "valuable" and died, tied to a bed, OD'd on drugs. 

I have no idea if the filmmakers even had this quasi "don't have sex" message in the movie, but I thought is was a interesting "hidden?" message on not having sex.  Think about it, the slutty girl is the person who makes contact with the kidnappers, and is the one who dies.  While the virgin is saved and lives.  Perhaps I'm the only person to have even thought of this connection and am crazy, but that was the first thing I though of when I came out of the movie.  Reminds me of an anthropology class I had back in college about urban legends--they were stories that had hidden "don't do it meanings".  For example--the babysitter gets a call from some creepy dude, and after a few calls she decides to trace the call and the call was IN THE HOUSE!!!:  lesson-girls should not be in a house alone.  Or the story about 2 young people making out in the car and hearing scratches at the door, and when they got home, A HOOK WAS ON THE DOOR!!!:  lesson--don't make out have sex.  Perhaps this is a movie with the hidden message about not having sex?  Just throwing it out there.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

Don't look too deep into it.  I thought it was an awesome movie, and that was all I thought about it. 

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JCGamer
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"Don't look too deep into it.  I thought it was an awesome movie, and that was all I thought about it.  "
I wasn't looking deep--it was the first thought that entered by warped mind as I was walking out of the theater.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By get2sammyb

Shame he just lost his wife. :(

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By prinny_god

I don't think that's was point of the movie

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By RedSox8933
get2sammyb said:
"Shame he just lost his wife. :("
i was going to say this.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By RetroIce4

I just watched the movie and liked it. I didn't think about any of this... meh.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iamjohn
I think you're probably taking more out of it than was put into it, but it's a pretty interesting idea.  Entertaining movie, too.

get2sammyb
said:
Yeah.  I'm just glad I got to see her in a production of
A Streetcar Named Desire. :(
Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aurelito
get2sammyb said:
Where and when? I watched it a month ago, Because Neson played in it.  Schindler's List was very crappy but his acting performance in that movie was outstanding, in this one as well.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By RHCPfan24

Taken was a lot of fun and it has been the most enjoyable film of the year, so far. As for Neeson, the story of his wife is so sad. I feel very sorry for him because he is one of my favorite actors and his wife was very talented. A sad loss :(

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Wolverine

Your looking way to far into it. I don't think they intended to send that message. I don't think the fact that Amanda wasn't a virgin had anything to do with her being alive or not. It was just part of the plot. Dude, again you looked way to far into this movie. By the way I thought this movie was awesome.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul

The best part of that movie was when he shot the French dude's wife.  It was such a badass thing to do.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By teh_destroyer

I still want to see Taken,I will wait for the dvd release.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I hated the movie. I saw the pirated version & it just bit cock. If I
want to see a good revenge type story with more reality to it I'll
go watch Death Wish 1-4.   An ex-CIA (or whatever he is) has
about as much "know how" of finding a kidnapped daughter
as the King of England. In other words: rots of ruck!

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Wolverine
Lind_L_Taylor said:
"I hated the movie. I saw the pirated version & it just bit cock. If I want to see a good revenge type story with more reality to it I'llgo watch Death Wish 1-4.   An ex-CIA (or whatever he is) hasabout as much "know how" of finding a kidnapped daughteras the King of England. In other words: rots of ruck!"
My only problem with Taken was the car chase scene which was really short. The rest of the movie was awesome. I really don't understand why you didn't like it. It was a great action movie with a great storyline.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Alexander

I tried not to read that blog post because you were attaching a little too much depth to this movie. I really enjoyed it though.

It is clear that Neeson is more badass than Jason Bourne.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iamjohn
Aurelito said:
"get2sammyb said:
Where and when?
Last week.  She was in a skiing accident in Ontario that led to a walking coma (where you're able to walk away from the accident but have some sort of internal trauma that affects you later on).  They pulled her off life support on Thursday because she was braindead. :(
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
Wolverine said:
"Lind_L_Taylor said:
"I hated the movie. I saw the pirated version & it just bit cock. If I want to see a good revenge type story with more reality to it I'llgo watch Death Wish 1-4.   An ex-CIA (or whatever he is) hasabout as much "know how" of finding a kidnapped daughteras the King of England. In other words: rots of ruck!"
My only problem with Taken was the car chase scene which was really short. The rest of the movie was awesome. I really don't understand why you didn't like it. It was a great action movie with a great storyline. "
Because it was complete rehash. The action/revenge film has been done to death. The new Rambo
way 1000x better. At least it had some awesome violence to enjoy.  The action in Taken is non-plussed
at best.

Avatar image for darkjoker222000
darkjoker222000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By darkjoker222000

liam neeson character was a bad ass in this movie. i totally love it. I think the message from this movie is SLUTS ARE NOT WORTH SAVING.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#20  Edited By Vinchenzo

I just saw this movie.

Best.
Movie.
Ever.

Maybe an overstatement. But I really enjoyed it. The kills were not over-the-top, but just done really well. They worked with a PG-13 rating awesomely.
suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By suneku

I watched it yesterday. Great movie, Liam Neeson was totally badass in this movie.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I loved this movie! my god awesome!

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Great movie. Liam Neeson is totally rad. Good call on the virginity thing. I think another moral in the movie is that you should never lie to your parents. She does, and look what happens. Being good and pure is actually a common theme across most horror movies as well. It's always the good, innocent girl who lives at the end. Oh, and dude, this movie has one quote I'm totally adding to my arsenal:

"Now's not the time for dick measuring!" Coming from Liam Neeson, it means so much...

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArchScabby

besides the crappy car chase this movie was pretty awesome. 
Especially how he basically executed a bunch of people wether they were armed or not, cuz he was pissed.  You don't see stuff like that in a pg13 movie.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Knives

The movie was alright. I felt like I had seen a lot of it before and better in Man on Fire (for those of you who liked Taken and haven't seen this, do so immediately). I got the "virginity is important" vibe, but she was 17 after all.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By jakob187

This is the beauty of cinema:  you can find crazy messages that may not be implied, and no one can tell you that it's NOT what was meant to be said.  Take the movie for what you want, and don't let someone tell you otherwise, man.

I haven't seen the flick yet, but given that Liam Neeson is playing ZEUS in the Clash of the Titans remake, I'm pretty sure he has out-badass'd himself now!