The burglar who apologized. Very interesting story and letter.

• 60 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Someone stole an Xbox and camera from a home in Guelph, Ontario, Canada and later returned the stolen objects with $50 to cover the broken screen of the backyard door. Along with it came a letter.

What do you make of this situation? Have you ever seen something like this?

Source

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Only in Canada.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mandude

That's pretty neat.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

Just because he apologized doesn't mean he wasn't a douchebag for breaking-in in the first place. A person is a criminal if they commit a crime, regardless if they're sorry about it after.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zeforgotten
@Ravenlight said:

Just because he apologized doesn't mean he wasn't a douchebag for breaking-in in the first place. A person is a criminal if they commit a crime, regardless if they're sorry about it after.

True, once a thief always a thief. 
But it was still nice of him to write a letter. 
stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By stryker1121

Very interesting...he's obviously educated and the theft seemed an act of desperation. Hopefully for his sake he wiped the xbox for prints..

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aegon

@stryker1121 said:

Very interesting...he's obviously educated and the theft seemed an act of desperation. Hopefully for his sake he wiped the xbox for prints..

If it's his "first crime" then it wouldn't matter unless he committed a second one in which he was caught.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I'd be glad to have my stuff back and hope he learns something from it.
If not, hope he dies painfully.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight said:

And that is why you fail.
And that is why you fail.
kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By kindgineer

@stryker1121 said:

I seriously doubt forensics would take the time to dust the Xbox for prints in a $200 small-claims case.

Although he is still a criminal for what he has done, I have enough wisdom in my heart to understand and forgive when someone has done wrong and will atone for it. It's kind of funny reading the comments from users who obviously feel the need to show off their chest hairs and 'tough' guy attitude.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten
@ck1nd said:

@stryker1121 said:

I seriously doubt forensics would take the time to dust the Xbox for prints in a $200 small-claims case.

Although he is still a criminal for what he has done, I have enough wisdom in my heart to understand and forgive when someone has done wrong and will atone for it. It's kind of funny reading the comments from users who obviously feel the need to show off their chest hairs and 'tough' guy attitude.

What thread are you reading? I haven't seen any of that in this thread yet. 
Except maybe your post now, but before that :P  

I wish every criminal was that nice
kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kindgineer

@ZeForgotten: I love falling into my own pit of irony:P Also, I don't like to point fingers, but I guess it is possible that my view is subjective on the matter.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT

Well, good for them. Unless the X-Box is booby trapped now. Or unless it's got a camera and the thief some voyeur creeper. Or unless it's put on by the 'victims' for attention. Or uness it's all an elaborate ruse to detract from some other crime.

<_<

>_>

O_O

Trust no one, maaaaan.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zeforgotten
@ck1nd: "Falling into" you make it sound like it's an accident. You jump straight in head first while singing humming a merry melody, I'm sure :P 
Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chop

rip

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By pyromagnestir

@TaliciaDragonsong: Wishing painful death on a petty thief seems a bit harsh. Provided his crimes don't escalate to something more serious I'd only wish him a particularly uncomfortable death. Maybe with a bit of shame involved.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Arbie

Wow. It's good of him to return the stuff, apologize and pay for the repairs. I hope he meant what he said about never doing it again. Such a weird situation to judge because he shouldn't have done it and that was wrong but then he did the right thing! I wonder what pushed him to steal and then again to return the stuff.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheFreeMan

Cool. Karma returned to neutral. 

Well, maybe not, but close.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir: Its a line that never should be crossed.
I'm very resolute in these things, break any boundary and I lose all respect for your being and wish upon you the most dire of deaths :P
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zombie2011

I'm guessing the Xbox Red-Ringed on the thief so thats why he returned it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

No, it does sound sincere. There was a guy here in the U.S. last year I believe, that had a daughter, a house, and he had lost his job and couldn't any longer pay his way 'cause he had a hard time finding another. He walked into a store, like a 7-11 and held a gun to the cashier and was crying as he said he didn't want to do what he was doing, and how he's sorry, but he needs the money to support his family. It is kind of like this situation in a way, it's wasn't right to begin with, but I do believe these aren't just your regular burglars and what have you. It's people that crack at some point but still have their morality intact for the most part. I could be wrong though.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikeGosot
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
@pyromagnestir: Its a line that never should be crossed. I'm very resolute in these things, break any boundary and I lose all respect for your being and wish upon you the most dire of deaths :P
Because when you have "Dragon" on your name, you just don't fuck around.
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MikeGosot: Just so.
Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Blackout62

D'aaw, he typewrote it. Get a detective on that to analyze the kerning and repeat faults in the type to identify the typewriter model Heavy Rain style and hunt this fucker down.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ramone

@ZeForgotten said:

@Ravenlight said:

True, once a thief always a thief. But it was still nice of him to write a letter.

You're both bad people

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ravenlight

@Ramone said:

@Ravenlight said:

You're both bad people

So you feel it's okay to break into someone's house and fuck with their stuff as long you bring it back after and leave a sorry note? If the dude is down on his luck, there are other, legal ways for him to get the help he needs.

The thing I'm worried about is this story setting a precedent in which other, less well-meaning people will think it's okay to follow this guy's same path.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By neoepoch
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
@pyromagnestir: Its a line that never should be crossed. I'm very resolute in these things, break any boundary and I lose all respect for your being and wish upon you the most dire of deaths :P
Well when you cross one of those lines, I wish the same upon you.

I'm just a human...and I have no right to judge someone for some crimes, because we all make mistakes. The magnitude of those mistakes may vary (and your perspective on the magnitudes may also be different) but in the end we all make mistakes. But it takes those who are truly strong to see their mistakes and make some sort of  attempt to correct them.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zeforgotten
@Ramone said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Ravenlight said:

True, once a thief always a thief. But it was still nice of him to write a letter.

You're both bad people

Why am I a bad person.
He's a thief, he stole something, sure it's returned, but he still stole it. 
Doesn't mean he's a terrible person though, as I said, nice of him to also leave a letter after he realized what he had done.  

So if that makes me a terrible person then welcome to hell Agent Holierthanthou :P 
Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

@Blackout62 said:

D'aaw, he typewrote it. Get a detective on that to analyze the kerning and repeat faults in the type to identify the typewriter model Heavy Rain style and hunt this fucker down.

Damn right.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By stinky

Sgt. Pflug

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SexyToad

@Ravenlight said:

@Ramone said:

@Ravenlight said:

You're both bad people

So you feel it's okay to break into someone's house and fuck with their stuff as long you bring it back after and leave a sorry note? If the dude is down on his luck, there are other, legal ways for him to get the help he needs.

The thing I'm worried about is this story setting a precedent in which other, less well-meaning people will think it's okay to follow this guy's same path.

Its not okay for him to do that. But he returned the items and payed for damages. He's having a rough time. That doesn't mean he's a douchbag.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Hunter5024

@Ravenlight said:

He acknowledges that, and makes up for it the best he can. It took bravery, empathy, and generosity to write that letter, whereas most people would try to forget they did it at all because of the shame and guilt. Not saying that makes the stealing okay, but is there no scenario where you think it's okay to forgive him?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#33  Edited By pyromagnestir

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Well alright then. *backs away slowly*

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch said:
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
Well when you cross one of those lines, I wish the same upon you.  I'm just a human...and I have no right to judge someone for some crimes, because we all make mistakes. The magnitude of those mistakes may vary (and your perspective on the magnitudes may also be different) but in the end we all make mistakes. But it takes those who are truly strong to see their mistakes and make some sort of  attempt to correct them.
That's your full right, but I do my best not to cross boundaries or break into people's places.
Going good for 23 years now.

I respect your beliefs on this matter but I can't agree.
I've seen the justice system fail me before, if people cross that personal line I'm done.
I won't hurt them or anything, I just wish upon them the most horrible death.
Or the quickest, as long as its death.
I won't be the victim of someone elses urges, and if by chance I do become a victim of such a crime I have full right to wish upon them anything I want to.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By BabyChooChoo

He fucked up and I feel the apology should be enough considering he also returned all the shit he stole. Besides, forgiveness and compassion is something this world seems to be lacking a lot of these days.

While I don't 100% agree he should be found and charged for his crimes, I completely understand how other people could feel that way.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ramone

@Ravenlight said:

@Ramone said:

@Ravenlight said:

You're both bad people

Not it's not okay, but it's not okay to judge someone on one fucking incident especially when they may be going through some fucked up stuff. I don't know how honest he's being in that letter but if you take it at face value it seems like he immediately regretted what he did and apologised, he was also nice enough to give them compensation and go on on to do community service. The way you put it makes it sound like you haven't done a single bad thing in your whole life because otherwise you'd be a 'douchebag'

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tim_the_corsair

It's funny, I would forgive the thief who apologised like this after the fact, and yet if I'd caught him breaking into my house and he had tried to make the same excuses, I probably would have beat the shit out of him regardless.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ch3burashka

How about, don't fucking break in my house. Also, pledging community service? How nice of you, anonymous criminal. If you want true punishment, report yourself and have it on record. A right doesn't cancel out a wrong.

trav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By trav

@pyromagnestir said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Healthy, experienced human beings UNITE!

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dixego

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

It's funny, I would forgive the thief who apologised like this after the fact, and yet if I'd caught him breaking into my house and he had tried to make the same excuses, I probably would have beat the shit out of him regardless.

We all would, brother, we all would.

EDIT:Managed to fuck up the word "would" twice.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Aegon

@Trav said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Healthy, experienced human beings UNITE!

Talicia has a codette apparently.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ravenlight

@Ramone said:

Not it's not okay, but it's not okay to judge someone on one fucking incident especially when they may be going through some fucked up stuff. I don't know how honest he's being in that letter but if you take it at face value it seems like he immediately regretted what he did and apologised, he was also nice enough to give them compensation and go on on to do community service. The way you put it makes it sound like you haven't done a single bad thing in your whole life because otherwise you'd be a 'douchebag'

Does the word "douchebag" carry some gravitas that I was heretofore unaware of? I used it interchangeably with the word "jerk" in that sentence. That a minor point here, though.

I'm certainly guilty of being a douchebag at times and there's times I've regretted it, too (not always :P). I do believe that the letter and return of stolen property go a long way to making the perpetrator seem like an actually decent human being but the fact remains that he invaded somebody's property, destroyed their screen door/window, and took their stuff. His actions after that went a long way toward restoring karmic balance but he's still in the hole the way I see it.

I'd be in favor of letting this guy get away with the lightest of punishments (self-imposed community service is not the same as mandated community service) but I still feel like there should be consequences in this case.

Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Egg0

I've never had to replace a screen door. Is $50 enough?

Avatar image for thatindianguy7116
ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the fact that this guy took the time to write a letter and return the stuff, and more, after stealing it, is good. Should he have not stolen in the first place? Sure, but bottom line, if that robber truly meant what he said and he truly means he is going to change, I would definitely forgive him. I would rather he say it to me man to man (or woman to man), but good on him or her for at least returning it and apologizing for it.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By cornbredx

A couple of people in this thread didn't read it or don't really care (and are dicks).

I get just saying sorry isn't enough, but he gave the stuff back, and paid for damages.

That's pretty cool and he'd be forgiven if it was me. "Just don't do it again" as they say.

Also this:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Only in Canada.

Even the thieves apologize. What nice people =)

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Terramagi

Doesn't matter if he's sorry. He's still going to burn, and serve a mandatory sentence of several years in a gulag.

Thanks Harper.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By Levio

it's more likely that the family faked everything for publicity

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Red
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By eroticfishcake

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I'd be glad to have my stuff back and hope he learns something from it. If not, hope he dies painfully.

Kill him with kindness? I'm sure the guilt-tripping him will overwhelm him somehow too.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@CornBREDX said:

A couple of people in this thread didn't read it or don't really care (and are dicks).

I get just saying sorry isn't enough, but he gave the stuff back, and paid for damages.

That's pretty cool and he'd be forgiven if it was me. "Just don't do it again" as they say.

Also this:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Only in Canada.

Even the thieves apologize. What nice people =)

That they are.

@Egg0 said:

I've never had to replace a screen door. Is $50 enough?

That seems about right. To replace a single screen door window glass that is retrofitted is about $75-150 so i'm sure the netting is only around $25-55.