The Day The Earth Stood Still...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

...is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO terribad.

I mean, there are terribad remakes all the time...but this takes the muthafuckin' cake.  Sure, they had a good number of homages to the original flick.  They kept Gort pretty much the same, a bit slicker though.  They kept the math problem in there (which I laughed about).  They kept a good handful of shit...

...EXCEPT THE FUCKING PHRASE!!!  THAT'S RIGHT!!!  THEY TOOK OUT "KLAATU BARADA NIKTO"!!!!!!

How the FUCK can you take out a CLASSIC quote from a remake of a CLASSIC movie?  Such BULLSHIT!!!  I know, I know, makes it sound like I'm basing my entire opinion of the movie around the exclusion of one phrase, right?

No.  The movie, in general, is horribly bland.  The undertones of the original (the paranoia of nuclear threats, the Cold War, and overall panic of American stature) is COMPLETELY lost in this.  Instead, it plays up the idea that the United States is nothing more than a 100% militaristic society...and that just really gets my goat.  you people can argue about that all you want, what the fuck ever.

The characters were also just one-note songs:

Keanu Reeves - "i must destroy teh human races and save da earthz"
Jennifer Connelly - "there must be some way u can stop dis"
Jaden Smith - "KILL DAT ALIENZ"
Kathy Bates - "der der derp  duh  deeeerrrrrrrr"

It was an absolutely rancid script plagued by too much dialogue that was all the same, acting that was as cardboard as a box of Wheaties, and visual effects that any major Hollywood studio should be mostly ashamed of showing.

Please do NOT waste your money on this flick, as both a newcomer to the movie or a fan of the original.  Instead, just watch the original and realize that it is the ONLY way this movie should be seen.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tekmojo

I'll prolly download it now, thanks for the heads up.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ltcoljaxson

What do you expect? It's Keanu Reeves. Even if he shows up in good movies, his acting is always terrible. This movie looked pretty bad, and with Keanu Reeves it makes it worse.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayge_

That sounds just as terrible as Fall Out Boy's Beat It. They didn't even have the decency to *attempt* the epic solo.

Damonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Damonation

How do they stop Gort without the phrase?

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Uuuuuugh. I JUST decided on going to see this tomorrow with my girlfriend. Bah, I'll still go and check it out.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Bulldog19892

I thought it looked stupid from the beginning. I didn't know it was a remake, but then again I don't really watch many movies.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
TheGTAvaccine said:
"Uuuuuugh. I JUST decided on going to see this tomorrow with my girlfriend. Bah, I'll still go and check it out."
Please, for the love of decency and all that is sacred in cinema, do NOT go see it.  Punisher: War Zone was a bad movie, but at least there were head 'splosions!!!
Damonation said:
"How do they stop Gort without the phrase?"
Klaatu touches a sphere...
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I saw the new one on Wednesday, and it was sooooooo much better than the original. This one was in color. The black and whiteness of the original makes it suck and makes this one God.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
Arkthemaniac said:
"I saw the new one on Wednesday, and it was sooooooo much better than the original. This one was in color. The black and whiteness of the original makes it suck and makes this one God."
...you, sir, need more brain cells.
*EDIT*  FUNCTIONING brain cells.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"I saw the new one on Wednesday, and it was sooooooo much better than the original. This one was in color. The black and whiteness of the original makes it suck and makes this one God."
"
AHA. But I tricked you. I never saw it. You may say, "But, Arkthemaniac, you are a downright liar and a rascal!" But, it wasn't out on Wednesday! Therefore, YOU ARE TEH RASCAL!
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

Great review, I'll stay away and I saw the original, but I kind of knew this one would suck. Black and white is not bad... please.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By trulyalive

<3 Keanu
<3 Jennifer
<3 Alien Destruction

I don't see how this film can fail.

(By the way, I'm an uncultured sunuvabitch and haven't seen the original yet. Expect me back in two weeks, having seen both, hating the new one)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"
AHA. But I tricked you. I never saw it. You may say, "But, Arkthemaniac, you are a downright liar and a rascal!" But, it wasn't out on Wednesday! Therefore, YOU ARE TEH RASCAL!"
Um...you tricked me?  As if i didn't read what you said?  I simply told you to get more functioning brain cells, meaning that I fully understood what you said and found it stupid.  DERP!
Bo17 said:
"<3 Keanu
<3 Jennifer
<3 Alien Destruction

(By the way, I'm an uncultured sunuvabitch and haven't seen the original yet. Expect me back in two weeks, having seen both, hating the new one)"
Keanu finally gets to be the soulless, emotionless hack that he is.  Jennifer Connelly deserves better than this.  Alien destruction?  Last ten minutes of the movie, and even then, it's fucking lame as shit.  It's not War of the Worlds kind of destruction, if that's what you are hoping for.  The movie is mainly those four characters saying the same shit over and over, while nothing else happens other than people wondering what the hell is invading them.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb
Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"
AHA. But I tricked you. I never saw it. You may say, "But, Arkthemaniac, you are a downright liar and a rascal!" But, it wasn't out on Wednesday! Therefore, YOU ARE TEH RASCAL!"

I love Arkthemaniac.
trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trulyalive
jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"
Um...you tricked me?  As if i didn't read what you said?  I simply told you to get more functioning brain cells, meaning that I fully understood what you said and found it stupid.  DERP!
Bo17 said:
"<3 Keanu
<3 Jennifer
<3 Alien Destruction

(By the way, I'm an uncultured sunuvabitch and haven't seen the original yet. Expect me back in two weeks, having seen both, hating the new one)"
Keanu finally gets to be the soulless, emotionless hack that he is.  Jennifer Connelly deserves better than this.  Alien destruction?  Last ten minutes of the movie, and even then, it's fucking lame as shit.  It's not War of the Worlds kind of destruction, if that's what you are hoping for.  The movie is mainly those four characters saying the same shit over and over, while nothing else happens other than people wondering what the hell is invading them.
"
In all fairness, you could drag Jennifer Connelly through the mud, and I'd still pay to see it.
Actually, I'd probably pay extra to see that >_<;
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
Bo17 said:
"In all fairness, you could drag Jennifer Connelly through the mud, and I'd still pay to see it.
Actually, I'd probably pay extra to see that >_<;"
Just get Requiem for a Dream Director's Cut and watch her heroin-addicted ass bounce on a double-ended jelly dildo...or hell, just rent half of her other movies.  It's not like she's at a shortage of nude scenes or anything.  She is a better actress than to stoop to this level of horseshit.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BiggerBomb
jakob187 said:
"Bo17 said:
"In all fairness, you could drag Jennifer Connelly through the mud, and I'd still pay to see it.
Just get Requiem for a Dream Director's Cut and watch her heroin-addicted ass bounce on a double-ended jelly dildo...or hell, just rent half of her other movies.  It's not like she's at a shortage of nude scenes or anything.  She is a better actress than to stoop to this level of horseshit."

Dude, it's called A Beautiful Mind. Awesome? Yus plz!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jakob187
BiggerBomb said:
"jakob187 said:
"Bo17 said:
Just get Requiem for a Dream Director's Cut and watch her heroin-addicted ass bounce on a double-ended jelly dildo...or hell, just rent half of her other movies.  It's not like she's at a shortage of nude scenes or anything.  She is a better actress than to stoop to this level of horseshit."

Dude, it's called A Beautiful Mind. Awesome? Yus plz!"
A Beautiful Mind?  Personally, I hate that movie with a passion.  I just didn't like it at all.  I know that's very much a personal thing, though...so to each their own on that one, man.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BiggerBomb
jakob187 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"jakob187 said:
"Bo17 said:

A Beautiful Mind?  Personally, I hate that movie with a passion.  I just didn't like it at all.  I know that's very much a personal thing, though...so to each their own on that one, man."

:O

I'm going to kill you to death.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187

I'm gonna kill ya all kinds of dead!!!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422

Another remake of a great classic movie is shit on? Wow what a surprise. I never expected it would be good to begin with, and as soon as I realized earlier this year, that Keanu Reeves was in it, I knew it would suck...because hes so fucking terrible.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, this thread makes me wanna go see it, and appreciate how bad it is, oh and laugh about it.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By BoG

It was a terrible movie that got even worse when Reeves based his decision to save the world on two boring, bland, and just plain bad characters in Jaden Smith and Jennifer Connely.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac
jakob187 said:
"I'm gonna kill ya all kinds of dead!!!"
Jakob is comin' fo yo ass.
Jakob is comin' fo yo ass.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By trulyalive
jakob187 said:
"Bo17 said:
Requiem For A Dream is the film that introduced me to Conelly. A great intro, and although she hasn't yet topped that performance, she was still great in A Beautiful Mind, Dark City and she even made Labyrinth bearable (well, that's a lie...David Bowie also rocked that movie inside out)

I also should have made myself more clear about my stance on films. I love 'em. Good, bad, whatever. I'll watch it and marvel and the magic of the movies. I consider myself a 'take it all in and remember the greats' kinda guy. I mean, hell, the only two films I'v ever considered walking out of were Hitch and Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and some people think those films are great =/
Whereas I have been content to sit through Max Payne and Wild Hogs, and although the films themselves sucked, I thought they were worth my money for that one shot film.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187

I just had to quote The Spirit, which I'm thoroughly psyched about.  = D

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By weltal

Really? You're surprised?

Love the original (Or rather the Remastered original or however it's referred to) and I have no interest in seeing it raped.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pause422
Jayge said:
"That sounds just as terrible as Fall Out Boy's Beat It. They didn't even have the decency to *attempt* the epic solo."
Well that isn't surprising. Like the other 3000 pop/"punk" bands of today, they don't actually have real fucking musical talent besides going through a standard chord progression, so of course they wouldn't be able to do the solo.
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pause422 said:
"Jayge said:
"That sounds just as terrible as Fall Out Boy's Beat It. They didn't even have the decency to *attempt* the epic solo."
Well that isn't surprising. Like the other 3000 pop/"punk" bands of today, they don't actually have real fucking musical talent besides going through a standard chord progression, so of course they wouldn't be able to do the solo."
Standard cord progression is a little too much for these people I think, I say one chord for the whole song, and as a bassist I don't even want to comment on the bass parts. 
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Gunner
jakob187 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"jakob187 said:
"Bo17 said:

A Beautiful Mind?  Personally, I hate that movie with a passion.  I just didn't like it at all.  I know that's very much a personal thing, though...so to each their own on that one, man."
Man.. And i thought you were cool.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Arkthemaniac
addictedtopinescent said:
"pause422 said:
"Jayge said:
Well that isn't surprising. Like the other 3000 pop/"punk" bands of today, they don't actually have real fucking musical talent besides going through a standard chord progression, so of course they wouldn't be able to do the solo."
Standard cord progression is a little too much for these people I think, I say one chord for the whole song, and as a bassist I don't even want to comment on the bass parts. "
I WILL!
The bassist generally follows the guitar exactly, holding the root of every chord the entire way through. This generally means playing a note 8 times in a row, then switching to one of the standard progressions, such as I-V-vi-IV. That one is used in many songs, most notably "Dammit" by Blink 182 and EVERY OTHER SONG TO SOME OUT IN THE LAST DECADE.

Also, you can't hear the mothafuckas.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187
pause422 said:
"Jayge said:
Actually, I've seen the FOB doods shred, and they CAN actually play...but they don't.  Being able to play isn't where the money is.  =  /
Bo17 said:
"jakob187 said:
"Bo17 said:
Requiem For A Dream is the film that introduced me to Conelly. A great intro, and although she hasn't yet topped that performance, she was still great in A Beautiful Mind, Dark City and she even made Labyrinth bearable (well, that's a lie...David Bowie also rocked that movie inside out)

I also should have made myself more clear about my stance on films. I love 'em. Good, bad, whatever. I'll watch it and marvel and the magic of the movies. I consider myself a 'take it all in and remember the greats' kinda guy. I mean, hell, the only two films I'v ever considered walking out of were Hitch and Elizabeth: The Golden Age, and some people think those films are great =/
Whereas I have been content to sit through Max Payne and Wild Hogs, and although the films themselves sucked, I thought they were worth my money for that one shot film."
Might I suggest:

Higher Learning
House of Sand and Fog
Blood Diamond
and
Once Upon A Time in America

Okay, well...she is barely in Once Upon a Time in America, but regardless, that movie is the fucking STANDARD for moviemaking as far as I'm concerned.  In-fucking-CREDIBLE movie.  Sergio Leone is sorely missed.

I know a bunch of people will say "oh, movie was remade and it sucked?  wow, surprise"...but regardless, this was the kind of movie that could've EASILY come out good, even if it DID have Keanu in it.  =  /
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkthemaniac said:
"addictedtopinescent said:
"pause422 said:
"Jayge said:
Standard cord progression is a little too much for these people I think, I say one chord for the whole song, and as a bassist I don't even want to comment on the bass parts. "
I WILL!
The bassist generally follows the guitar exactly, holding the root of every chord the entire way through. This generally means playing a note 8 times in a row, then switching to one of the standard progressions, such as I-V-vi-IV. That one is used in many songs, most notably "Dammit" by Blink 182 and EVERY OTHER SONG TO SOME OUT IN THE LAST DECADE.

Also, you can't hear the mothafuckas.
"
Please don't make me fucking cry at the music of today. 
Oh fuck it all, I will.
trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By trulyalive
jakob187 said:
Might I suggest:
Higher Learning
House of Sand and Fog
Blood Diamond
and
Once Upon A Time in America

Okay, well...she is barely in Once Upon a Time in America, but regardless, that movie is the fucking STANDARD for moviemaking as far as I'm concerned.  In-fucking-CREDIBLE movie.  Sergio Leone is sorely missed.

I know a bunch of people will say "oh, movie was remade and it sucked?  wow, surprise"...but regardless, this was the kind of movie that could've EASILY come out good, even if it DID have Keanu in it.  =  /"
I've seen Blood Diamond. It was good, but felt a bit heavy handed at times. I still need to check out the rest, although Sergio Leone was nothing short of masterful, even if he had to rip off Yojimbo to prove it to Hollywood.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By Willy105

The Day the Earth Stood Still was my favorite Sci-Fi movie ever.

I'll just pretend the remake didn't happen.

No wait. I can't. *cries*

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Willy105
jakob187 said:

"How do they stop Gort without the phrase?"
Klaatu touches a sphere...
"
Lamesauce.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Kazona

Yea touch that sphere baby! Touch it good!

...Wait.. wrong movie.. Sorry!

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By daniel_beck_90

CNN approved this movie

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HandsomeDead

I've spent all day downloading a screener of this. Always been a fan of Keanu and Connelly, so i'm willing to give it a punt.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lamegame621

Yeah...not gona see this then. Never saw the original, maybe I should check that out. DEFINITELY gonna see The Spirit though.