Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Joshbra97

Was it worth it?

Now here's the deal, I've got a congenital abnormality, Prader-Willi and one of the components of it is MR. I've gotten many messages from people saying, "Wow, well you sound like you're very educated!" Well that's definitely not true. I was literally in the special ed classes at school and I got to ride the infamous short bus because of the physical manifestations that go along with PW. It's kind of like how some people that have English as a second or third language actually have a better grasp of grammar than native speakers, we had to pay a cruel amount of attention to it as opposed to just speak out of natural instinct which may be affected by the local environs. 

Well with that being said by toughest subject was algebra at age 35! Some of you have read my blog about the teacher I hated. Well, I was 35 at the time and taking night classes trying to get my GED. It was a terrible experience and I'm still taking night classes to get it but it's a lot easier this time around so I guess that it was worth it sort of. :P

What about you guys?
Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Joshbra97

Was it worth it?

Now here's the deal, I've got a congenital abnormality, Prader-Willi and one of the components of it is MR. I've gotten many messages from people saying, "Wow, well you sound like you're very educated!" Well that's definitely not true. I was literally in the special ed classes at school and I got to ride the infamous short bus because of the physical manifestations that go along with PW. It's kind of like how some people that have English as a second or third language actually have a better grasp of grammar than native speakers, we had to pay a cruel amount of attention to it as opposed to just speak out of natural instinct which may be affected by the local environs. 

Well with that being said by toughest subject was algebra at age 35! Some of you have read my blog about the teacher I hated. Well, I was 35 at the time and taking night classes trying to get my GED. It was a terrible experience and I'm still taking night classes to get it but it's a lot easier this time around so I guess that it was worth it sort of. :P

What about you guys?
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By c1337us

If thats serious, dude I am sorry to hear about that and congrats on trying things and furthering your education.

Hardest class I ever took was metal work in high school. I wasnt very good at Manual Arts and I didnt like them very much either. I found Metal to be much harder then Wood or Plastics.

And no I wouldnt really say it was worth it, but it was compulsory.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Joshbra97
Metal class, I would have loved to have taken that but well y'know that wasn't really an option for me. lol.

And of course it's true. Trust me if I could change that about myself even when posting in forums I would. PW is a terrible disorder and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone but it's what I live with and I deal... well I try to! 
Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Carlos1408

History A-level (british system)
Those DAMN ESSAYS...I'm actually still taking it and have an exam this monday, yeap I'm still in highschool, last year though can't wati for uni. :)
Yea A level is hard

kajankua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By kajankua

algebra ... god i hate algebra, i'd have to agree on algebra

kajankua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kajankua
Carlos1408 said:
"History A-level (british system)Those DAMN ESSAYS...I'm actually still taking it and have an exam this monday, yeap I'm still in highschool, last year though can't wati for uni. :)Yea A level is hard"
newer european history kicks ass though , i really enjoyed it at school
Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Carlos1408
kajankua said:
"Carlos1408 said:
"History A-level (british system)Those DAMN ESSAYS...I'm actually still taking it and have an exam this monday, yeap I'm still in highschool, last year though can't wati for uni. :)Yea A level is hard"
newer european history kicks ass though , i really enjoyed it at school
"

Yea it is very enjoyable and definatly worth it, forgot to mention that :P
Teaches you skills that you'll use for the rest of your life, in fact i think it's helped me mature and grow as a person greatly
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno

Linear Algrebra and Vector Geometry, and Cell Biology. The first one was difficult to understand, the second required literally memorization of 600 pages + notes over 3 months.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Physics and any other science

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Megalon

I took a physical chemistry class that pretty much destroyed my life for 4 months in grad school. I don't recommend it. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust

Some math class in college.  Why? Because it's a prerequisite. 

Swish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Swish

DEV103 Basics of game programming
I had a crap teacher that didn't explain anything and because of it have lost all interest in becoming a programmer and am instead doing a game design course, which has pushed my graduation back 3 months... oh well
Atleast the positive is I realeased how much I enjoy writing and the implecation of ideas (the other classes I had), so overall I don't regret anything

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Cerza

Greek Philosophy. It still makes no sense to me and my professor was stoned out of her mind every class. I felt like I was paying to sit with Cheech and Chong and listen to them ramble two nights a week.

Learning Japanese was also very difficult, but a lot of fun too.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm currently studying a Chemical & Pharmaceutical Degree, and it is hard, but I understand it, and should be able to pass it.

I struggled like hell at English GCSE, I had to retake it 3 times before I got the C I needed, but that wasn't because it was hard, it was because I sucked at it.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By sarahsdad

Calculus. I failed it twice when I thought I wanted to be an engineer, and passed it on a pass/fail option the third time around after I switched over to being an english major. That third time was just so I could prove to myself that I could actually do it.

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By adam_grif

I don't know about hardest subject, but the one I've had the most trouble with I am taking right now, Biology of Animals.

I haven't done any biology since junior high school, and now I'm doing university level stuff. It was quite a jump, and I doubt I'll get more than a Credit overall (60-69%).

I'll pass, but I won't excel. I hate the subject so damn much because there's so much new language I have to learn for it. They drop 50 new terms every week and expect us to be able to use them in casual conversation and identify them in the dissections we do without any trouble.

It's making me stress out a lot more than any other subject is. Psychology I can handle (although they are anal about formatting), I laugh at Programming and Problem Solving (I eat, breathe and shit java), and Intro to Systems is pathetically easy for me.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By CL60

Any type of math, I'm absolutely terrible at it.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By angelfan91

Spanish, because if you missed a class then you were kind of screwed.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Matt_

Discrete Math... with one of the harder professors at my university. I could get some of the topics but I never finished a single proof. The class was stupid-hard.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Matt_
Matt_ said:
"Discrete Math... with one of the harder professors at my university. I could get some of the topics but I never finished a single proof. The class was stupid-hard."
Oh, and I had to take it because I am a Computer Science major.
JesusV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JesusV2

Advanced Functions in grade 12.

I took it because I thought I wanted to be a math teacher, now I'm going to school to become an English teacher.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Plasma

Religous Education, all the answers i put down were wrong? 

The answer is apparently 'God did it'

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By auspiciousqueue
Between Epidemiology (which I took for fun) and Memory and Cognition (which I was forced to take). They were horrible because they were tedious, had way too much information to memorize and my professors were very strict. Still got an A in both! I actually loved my Statistics, Anatomy and Physics classes oddly enough.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RetroIce4

Spanish because learning a language is next to fucking impossible for me. I traveled to a Spanish speaking country and didn't know anything...
*Sigh* It is so hard. Only one more year and I have to because of school.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CL60 said:
"Any type of math, I'm absolutely terrible at it."
I`m with you 
It makes me angry to have to work and think with numbers. 
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

Probably Trigonometry.  It wasn't to hard but, I couldn't pay attention because of the teacher.  He just took waaaaaaay to long to explain problems and how you do them.

applesaucemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By applesaucemen

Any of the advanced science classes just squeaked by.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch3burashka
Although I hate to admit it, my Java class right now is by far my toughest. I'm trying to get into the programming scene, but I'm a bit lazy and retarded (pardon). I just can't understand the basic logistic which is killing me and my grade.
Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rollingzeppelin

2nd year engineering vector calc. The prof was a asshole who intentionally made the tests way harder than the homework or practice tests. It's hard enough to even figure out what a line integral is, or when to use Green's Theorum without the prof asking concept questions involving them that you've never seen before. /rant

Oh well, my school is pretty renouned for its engineering faculty, so in some of the courses they intentionally make them way harder than they need to be.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Computer Science 1. Dude, let's face it, I was totally unprepared. I thought it'd be a breeze, even though I knew absolutely nothing about the subject. There were a couple courses I should have taken before this one to learn the subject, but they weren't prerequisites so I jumped right into Computer Science 1. Also, I took it during a super accelerated 5 week summer term, and because it was such a short class the teacher didn't even assign us a book and just gave us some notes. Anyway, uhh... it sure as heck did not go as smoothly as I had anticipated. I'm a straight A student and really had a very difficult time in the class. The first week or so was fine, but then it picked up way too fast and I struggled to keep up. It ended up being my only C in college.

KidVelasco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KidVelasco

Physics for Engineering. we had four hour exams,not to mention that super long final. that class was ridiculous. calculus III was hard for me. our professor only taught us the conceptual never did examples. which made the midterms hard for me, so I was basically teaching myself by reading the book. worst math professor I ever had

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NukeGoBoom

Physics and Arabic

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Computer Science 3. After two semesters of flying through with ease with high 90's, I failed the shit out of CS3 so hard that I'm no longer majoring in CS.

Avatar image for altered_confusion
Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

Linear Algebra, and to this day I have never retaken it. Let's just say I got a 16 and a 9 on my first two tests, and before you ask, yes, it was out of 100.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Binman88

Chemistry. Don't even know why I bothered with it, I absolutely hated it and couldn't force myself to study.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jnal

Spanish by far I had 4 teachers and 2 subs who covered a good chunk of time after one teacher was fired, over the course of three years. For some reason they stuck me in spanish 2 right off the bat. I failed it came back the next year, teacher disappeared for 2 weeks before the school realized. Never understood that one. Had a sub who couldn't speak spanish for two months then the final week of school we had another sub who taught us and gave us an exam. Somehow I passed and got into spanish 3 whith the new replacement teacher from South America. Long story short she made up grades and passed us all so she wouldn't look bad.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rollingzeppelin
KidVelasco said:
"Physics for Engineering. we had four hour exams,not to mention that super long final. that class was ridiculous. calculus III was hard for me. our professor only taught us the conceptual never did examples. which made the midterms hard for me, so I was basically teaching myself by reading the book. worst math professor I ever had "
I hear ya man. I did pretty bad in phys as well. Good thing you dont have to take physics again after 1st year.