Why do Canadians consider the War of 1812 a Canadian victory?

• 108 results
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

Never quite understood why they thought so.  Here in the United States, it is considered a draw since no land was gain or lossed via Treaty of Ghent, in which both nations required to hand back conquered territories.  In addition, we never considered it a war with Canada, but a war with Britain, a half assed attempt thanks to the Napoleonic Wars.  I've read a few places from Canadians that have said "Canada burned the white house" when we contribute that to a British victory.  It is just weird to read someone stating something that doesn't seem to be true.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thedj93

I guess it's all a matter of perspective

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheFreeMan

Because we like to think that we did well on a war on our own. But I've heard some arguments that the State's objective was the defeat of Canada, as they were the aggressors, and since they failed, then it's considered a "Canadian" victory.

Anyways the thing was like 50 years before Canada even really started so yeah it's not really a "Canadian" war anyways. The "burning down the white house" thing is just funny at any rate.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm guessing because the French word for "victory" is one letter away from being the French word for "participation."

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Vinny_Says

because Canada never won many wars, if any....so that's like the only claim to fame. (which at the time was more like Britain and not Canada...)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mikemcn

Because Canada is the 51st state, the United States clearly won the War of 1812 and anyone who thinks otherwise is a communist.

AMERIKKAAAAA! Amer-ica! Estados Unidos! (Please don't take any part of this seriously.)

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By karneh

Why do Canadians think Canadians in 1812 were really Canadians and not just another poor group of people conquered by the British empire forced to do their bidding like everyone else.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
@Godwind said:
" Never quite understood why they thought so.  Here in the United States, it is considered a draw since no land was gain or lossed via Treaty of Ghent, in which both nations required to hand back conquered territories.  In addition, we never considered it a war with Canada, but a war with Britain, a half assed attempt thanks to the Napoleonic Wars.  I've read a few places from Canadians that have said "Canada burned the white house" when we contribute that to a British victory.  It is just weird to read someone stating something that doesn't seem to be true. "
Canada wasn't a nation at that point.  It was still a British territory.  That being said, anything that people on then-British soil accomplished is technically a part of Canadian history.
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FreakAche

Because we burned down your White House maybe?

Seriously though, it's pretty much just because that's how our history books teach it. It's kind of ridiculous to claim a victory by either side though, considering nothing was really gained or lost.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel
@FreakAche said:
" Because we burned down your White House maybe? "
We built another one. :P
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheFreeMan

Also if anyone really gives a shit about good Canadian military performances, there's World War 1 so the idea of holding the War of 1812 as some kind of achievement seems silly to me.

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By IcySandman

Yeah didn't we attack them, they stopped us, counterattacked, and fought to the white house and burned it down?  I think we get our shits hit.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By monetarydread

Because what happened at the end doesn't really matter. Think of it like a grade-school fight. Two kids start scrapping, one kid breaks the others nose right before a teacher comes and breaks things up. It is a draw on paper, but the kid with a busted nose is still considered by the masses as the loser.
We repelled an invasion from the Americans, and even though it was mostly militia that we went up against. We were able to take back almost everything you sacked and then travelled down to Michigan and started whuppin ass. Our navy made its way to Americas capital city and burned the whole place to the ground. By the time your country got its act together, the british were able to finally able to go all in and help us (well, we were a british colony at the time) so we both decided that this was all over a misunderstanding that no one else should die over.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude
@Karn said:
" Why do Canadians think Canadians in 1812 were really Canadians and not just another poor group of people conquered by the British empire forced to do their bidding like everyone else. "
Oh man, French Canadians probably loved that.
Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Shaanyboi
@Hailinel said:
" @FreakAche said:
" Because we burned down your White House maybe? "
We built another one. :P "
And we'll do it again if you don't stop asking questions...
Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think of it as more of a we one up'd you. The Americans stole our sceptre and in turn we took back the sceptre and burned the white house. However the dissing of Canadian military is unjust as we were feared by the Germans in both World Wars greatly and have some of the best sniper marksmen in the world. Lets not mention the Arrow though...

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ch3burashka

Canadians are egotistical assholes. 

I'd provide a source if I had one.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@MonetaryDread said:
" Because what happened at the end doesn't really matter. Think of it like a grade-school fight. Two kids start scrapping, one kid breaks the others nose right before a teacher comes and breaks things up. It is a draw on paper, but the kid with a busted nose is still considered by the masses as the loser. We repelled an invasion from the Americans, and even though it was mostly militia that we went up against. We were able to take back almost everything you sacked and then travelled down to Michigan and started whuppin ass. Our navy made its way to Americas capital city and burned the whole place to the ground. By the time your country got its act together, the british were able to finally able to go all in and help us (well, we were a british colony at the time) so we both decided that this was all over a misunderstanding that no one else should die over. "
This.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Bones8677
@MonetaryDread: Then again, the kid that broke the other's nose had to go back to an icy wasteland while the kid with the broken nose went on and flourished. So call it a wash. ;-P
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By valrog

Why do Americans think that they won the Football match this World Cup against England while in reality it was 1:1?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
@valrog said:
" Why do Americans think that they won the Football match this World Cup against England while in reality it was 1:1? "
Because it's EASY: 

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brians
@valrog:  because soccer is the most boring sport ever and American's aspire to win painfully boring sports.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE

Americans were the aggressors, attempted to basically invade/defeat/humiliate Canada and failed miserably. That's a defeat. Just like Vietnam. HEY-O.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By J12088

..Why are the Americans taught they defeated an Empire that at the time was global?

It's not true really is it? If the British wanted to they could of sent over the man power and resources to of kept America. It wasn't a fight they could of won. The reality of it is the atlantic defeated the British. Sending troops and resources across that took time and money. America at the time wasn't worth the cost.

That's the reality of it. But your taught in your schools that you somehow defeated an empire that was at the time was massive. You guys have a nasty habbit of leaving out the French who helped you out greatly as well.

What I'm saying is history is very biased depending on who's telling it. That's why.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By meteora

Because during that war, we had a reason to stop fighting amongst each other and actually stop the aggressor (United States). 

The fact that we defended our land successfully meant it was a victory for us, even if we didn't succeed gaining any land. Considering how small our army was compare to the United States, it was a pretty significant achievement.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By StaticFalconar
@valrog said:
" Why do Americans think that they won the Football match this World Cup against England while in reality it was 1:1? "
Probably the same reason why some people didn't think BP wasn't run by some British guys when the spill happened and instead placed all the blame on Americans despite it wasn't until after the spill that an American is running Bp now. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
@StaticFalconar said:
" @valrog said:
Probably the same reason why some people didn't think BP wasn't run by some British guys when the spill happened and instead placed all the blame on Americans despite it wasn't until after the spill that an American is running Bp now.  "
Just because it's got British in the title doesn't mean it isn't a multinational.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StaticFalconar
@HandsomeDead said:
" @StaticFalconar said:
" @valrog said:
Probably the same reason why some people didn't think BP wasn't run by some British guys when the spill happened and instead placed all the blame on Americans despite it wasn't until after the spill that an American is running Bp now.  "
Just because it's got British in the title doesn't mean it isn't a multinational. "
Yeah the guys working on the rig were american while the guys that gives the orders to cut corners on safety measures was British. Very multinational indeed. Of course this doesn't mean all British people cut corners or don't care about safety (that would just be stereotyping and borderline racist), so at least the British person (as an individual, not as a representation of all British people) that was in charge sure did a poor job of managing an oil well. So with no intension of any slight or hatred against British people since the guy that made the mistake just so happen to be British, it sure was interesting how so many Brits were so defensive about the whole situation (since a big chunk of GB viewers are across the pond).  

P.S: I can sure as hell bet you if the company responsible was called China Petroleum , you wouldn't get so many people trying to  defend  it. 
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By asurastrike
@RsistncE said:
" Americans were the aggressors, attempted to basically invade/defeat/humiliate Canada and failed miserably. That's a defeat. Just like Vietnam. HEY-O. "
Canada wasn't even a country until 1867. Our issue was with England.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aetheldod

Because at least someone in this continent stood up against the americans on equal grounds ..... silliness aside I never knew Americans fought against Canada .... being from the country that got the ass kicked by them americans the must (Mexico)  , this is weird and means that the Canadians would obliterate us 0_O!!!!!

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@J12088 said:
" ..Why are the Americans taught they defeated an Empire that at the time was global?  It's not true really is it? If the British wanted to they could of sent over the man power and resources to of kept America. It wasn't a fight they could of won. The reality of it is the atlantic defeated the British. Sending troops and resources across that took time and money. America at the time wasn't worth the cost.  That's the reality of it. But your taught in your schools that you somehow defeated an empire that was at the time was massive. You guys have a nasty habbit of leaving out the French who helped you out greatly as well.  What I'm saying is history is very biased depending on who's telling it. That's why. "
The main reason why Britain didn't do a full on invasion was because they were getting their asses beat in Africa, and were scrambling to maintain those colonies.  But yes, in the end, if they devoted more resources, America would probably be a Dominion just the same as Canada.
Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShadowConqueror
@valrog said:

"Why do Americans think that they won the Football match this World Cup against England while in reality it was 1:1?"

But Americans don't care about football...
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By ProfessorEss
@ShadowConqueror said:

"But Americans don't care about football... "

Yeah they do, bigtime. 

...it's soccer that they don't care about :O
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By KarlPilkington
@Hailinel: That's like your dog dying and buying a new exact replica to replace it . =P
Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bobdaman18

Everytime someone brings up the war of 1812 i wonder the same thing.  I get why they consider it a victory and i agree that it was (they burned down the white house) but i don't get why Canadians see it as a victory.  I guess it makes sense since in the US we learn about the colonists comming over and the original colonies.  Those were all British colonies that were still technically governed ultimately by the king of England, right?  I still think of all the events between that time and the American Revolution as being American history so i guess i can see why they feel that way. 

Also 

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zityz

Only reason we burnt down the Whitehouse because it was actually cream colour. Get your paint colours straight. :P

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By Suicrat
@Karn said:
" Why do Canadians think Canadians in 1812 were really Canadians and not just another poor group of people conquered by the British empire forced to do their bidding like everyone else. "
This is what I think every time I pass by that retarded Douglas Coupland " statue".
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
@HaltIamReptar said:
" @J12088 said:
" ..Why are the Americans taught they defeated an Empire that at the time was global?  It's not true really is it? If the British wanted to they could of sent over the man power and resources to of kept America. It wasn't a fight they could of won. The reality of it is the atlantic defeated the British. Sending troops and resources across that took time and money. America at the time wasn't worth the cost.  That's the reality of it. But your taught in your schools that you somehow defeated an empire that was at the time was massive. You guys have a nasty habbit of leaving out the French who helped you out greatly as well.  What I'm saying is history is very biased depending on who's telling it. That's why. "
The main reason why Britain didn't do a full on invasion was because they were getting their asses beat in Africa, and were scrambling to maintain those colonies.  But yes, in the end, if they devoted more resources, America would probably be a Dominion just the same as Canada. "
If you're going to comment on something, you could at least try and talk some sense.  There was very little military action in Africa during the Napoleonic Wars and Britain didn't have any colonies in Africa apart from The Cape Colony so you're entire comment is false. 
thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thedj93
@J12088 said:
This is an amazing first post. Also imagine if instead of investing in India, they invested in America. What I'm saying is, what would it be like if America had just recently, in the past 60 years, became a free nation while India had become the superpower behemoth in its place? 

Historical fiction is fun.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

No Caption Provided
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Akrid

They tried to stroll in like they owned the place, thinking it would be over in a matter of weeks and we burnt down their whitehouse and kicked their ass to the curb.

The first and last bit there are probably exaggerated by Canadian pride, but It was a victory because the Americans were the aggressors and we successfully defended ourselves without losing anything but life.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Really.
 Really.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't know, maybe it's just like how Americans like to think we won in Vietnam?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pinworm45
@Godwind said:
  Here in the United States, it is considered a draw since no land was gain or lossed via Treaty of Ghent, in which both nations required to hand back conquered territories. 
I guess by this logic, Vietnam was a draw, too? 
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Pinworm45
@Bobdaman18 said:
 I get why they consider it a victory and i agree that it was (they burned down the white house) but i don't get why Canadians see it as a victory

...What?
ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ape_dosmil

The question is why do Americans not consider it a loss? Because it goes against the idea of American Exceptionalism I suppose? The same reason a lot of Americans won't accept Vietnam was a complete failure, but instead like to call it a 'draw'.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Popogeejo

Different sides have different victory conditions. 
The Invader (USA) has to take Canadian territory. If they gain any then that's a win. If they lose their own territory then it's a defeat. 
The Defender (Canada*) only has to prevent the invader from winning. Anything after that (taking American land) is just a bonus. 
Thus Canada can claim victory for stopping an invading force and America can claim a draw because they didn't lose any land. Both are technically right but really, America lost. They started a fight and ended up with more casualties.

*Canada may have been part of the Empire but for a long time so was America. I doubt many Americans back then would have called themselves British. Same goes for Canada. In spirit they were their own country.

Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tuksit

Canada may not have been seperate country at the time but the people living in the colony were distinct from the British and were referred to as Canadians. So while Canada the country didn't win, Canada the people did.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Jeffsekai

Well when we burn down your White house...we win.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By keyhunter
@ape_dosmil said:
" The question is why do Americans not consider it a loss? Because it goes against the idea of American Exceptionalism I suppose? The same reason a lot of Americans won't accept Vietnam was a complete failure, but instead like to call it a 'draw'. "
If I remember correctly, USA killed way more charlie than charlie killed Americans.
Us Canadians continue to kill charlie with long lasting effects of Agent Orange. So we're still winning!