GiantBomb Mod Idol?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheMustacheHero

It seems a number of users believe the site could benefit by having more mods to do the justice that they do, you know get rid of spam threads (Mine included tee hee). I wholly agree with this.

Do you think Giant Bomb should have more mods?
If you do who should it be? Who would you pick to be a new mod? I personally was thinking jakob187, but he seems to be in a bad mood today :/

Obviously this thread is purely opinion and any new mod would be picked by the existing mods/staff.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I think I have proven my tough but fair nature towards topics and posts on these forums. I'd like to throw my name into the hat.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

Yeah. Another forum mod please.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Milkman

I guess I hijacked your thread.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I dont understand.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kmdrkul

We need to bring in some of the Gamespot mods.  They are jerks but at least they keep that forums' shit straight. 

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Milkman said:
" I guess I hijacked your thread. "
Thanks Bin Laden.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArchScabby

the guy who posted the longest thread title challenge want more mods????

okay then....

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@MasturbatingBear said:
" I dont understand. "
He's unofficially choosing the next  mod, or someone is. 

I'm in, I totally can sing and dance.
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@ArchScabby said:
" the guy who posted the longest thread title challenge want more mods????  okay then.... "
Yeah I know.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Xeiphyer
@kmdrkul said:
" We need to bring in some of the Gamespot mods.  They are jerks but at least they keep that forums' shit straight.  "
Dude no. Gamespot is the devil. I think our mods do a great job, its just that we need a few more and also people should flag bad posts when they see them, instead of just saying "Mods?!" in a post and expecting them to somehow show up.
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Bucketdeth said:

" @MasturbatingBear said:

" I dont understand. "
He's unofficially choosing the next  mod, or someone is.  I'm in, I totally can sing and dance. "
that
s
bold!
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Xeiphyer said:
" @kmdrkul said:
" We need to bring in some of the Gamespot mods.  They are jerks but at least they keep that forums' shit straight.  "
Dude no. Gamespot is the devil. I think our mods do a great job, its just that we need a few more and also people should flag bad posts when they see them, instead of just saying "Mods?!" in a post and expecting them to somehow show up. "
You're telling me that doesn't work?!
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Bucketdeth said:
" I dont understand. "
He's unofficially choosing the next  mod, or someone is.  I'm in, I totally can sing and dance. "
I'm not choosing the next mod, I'm asking for you guys' opinion on who the next new mod should be (If they even get one).
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@TheMustacheHero said:

" @Bucketdeth said:

" I dont understand. "
I'm not choosing the next mod, I'm asking for you guys' opinion on who the next new mod should be (If they even get one). "

so basically you want to choose the next mod? BOLD!
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I also put a vote in for CitizenKane and Jeff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@TheMustacheHero said:

" @Bucketdeth said:

" I dont understand. "
I'm not choosing the next mod, I'm asking for you guys' opinion on who the next new mod should be (If they even get one). "
Well folks there is your answer. 

*** I think they should call Levio up, I think he'd partake in a mod position.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Yeah, jakob would be a pretty good mod.  He's really chill most of the time and genuinely loves games.  Black_Rose would be an okay choice too.

It would be nice to have another mod around.  Sometimes no mods are online for an extended period of time - enough for a backlog of spam and stupidity to build up.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kmdrkul
@Xeiphyer said:
" @kmdrkul said:
Dude no. Gamespot is the devil. I think our mods do a great job, its just that we need a few more and also people should flag bad posts when they see them, instead of just saying "Mods?!" in a post and expecting them to somehow show up. "
Oh please.  I've been on the Gamespot forums for over five years now and outside of a few two day suspensions for getting unnecessarily angry (which I've done on here and got away without reprimand) I have never seen anything so bad as to warrant calling that site the devil.  It seems Giantbomb has some sort of irrational hate towards Gamespot because their precious Jeff Gerstmann had been fired by them.  The fact of the matter is thanks to the lifeless, soulless mods from Gamespot, their forums are sterile, civil, and easy to post in.  Very rarely do you get the trite troll-worthy one liners that go something like "this ____ sucks fucking ass" on Gamespot, because the numerous mods are always waiting to clean the forums of that worthless crap.  A ton of Giantbombers are guilty of abusing the leniency given by these forums and spewing their "opinions" with the grace of a retarded five year old. 
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By rjayb89

No Caption Provided
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Xeiphyer
@kmdrkul said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" @kmdrkul said:
Oh please.  I've been on the Gamespot forums for over five years now and outside of a few two day suspensions for getting unnecessarily angry (which I've done on here and got away without reprimand) I have never seen anything so bad as to warrant calling that site the devil.  It seems Giantbomb has some sort of irrational hate towards Gamespot because their precious Jeff Gerstmann had been fired by them.  The fact of the matter is thanks to the lifeless, soulless mods from Gamespot, their forums are sterile, civil, and easy to post in.  Very rarely do you get the trite troll-worthy one liners that go something like "this ____ sucks fucking ass" on Gamespot, because the numerous mods are always waiting to clean the forums of that worthless crap.  A ton of Giantbombers are guilty of abusing the leniency given by these forums and spewing their "opinions" with the grace of a retarded five year old.  "
I agree. =P I'm just sore at gamespot for being betrayed by them, the jeff thing sucks, but moreso the whole ordeal that started with him getting fired is really fucked up. Allowing game developers to basically buy a good review is total bastardization of the whole point of gamespot. I read the whole story from an anonymous gamespot employee, and it was a pretty terrible situation at the time, but still.. The site betrayed me. So rawr!?! =P

I do think their forums are clean, although I find almost everyone in them to be pretty rude to anyone asking a question. But thats just my personal experience with the forums
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DanielJW
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Milkman said:
" I guess I hijacked your thread. "
Thanks Bin Laden. "
I laughed really hard at this.  

I also agree that Jakob would be a good mod. He seems to be online a ton too. I'd also venture to nominate a Buzz_clik. 

Also I think the mods do a great job, but with a quick look at the Quantcast stats, the site is growing pretty steadily. Thus more posts, thus means more mods needed to keep people in line.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23  Edited By Black_Rose

Govermentcheese

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Black_Rose said:
" Govermentcheese "
afuckingreed.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

One or two, maybe. I shall be their leader, though. Tis only the most logical decision.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DanielJW
@Video_Game_King said:
" One or two, maybe. I shall be their leader, though. Tis only the most logical decision. "
Well, you are the king.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Hamz

So the one trend I've noticed with posts in this topic is that a majority of folks feel that the site could benefit from having more moderators, I assume this is specifically for moderating the forums and not the wiki? Or would people like to see an increased level of activity or numbers moderating both areas?

I'm open to suggestions and feedback on this!

MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@Hamz said:
" So the one trend I've noticed with posts in this topic is that a majority of folks feel that the site could benefit from having more moderators, I assume this is specifically for moderating the forums and not the wiki? Or would people like to see an increased level of activity or numbers moderating both areas?  I'm open to suggestions and feedback on this! "
O crap. The real mods have found our plot to overthrow them!
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DanielJW
@Hamz said:
" So the one trend I've noticed with posts in this topic is that a majority of folks feel that the site could benefit from having more moderators, I assume this is specifically for moderating the forums and not the wiki? Or would people like to see an increased level of activity or numbers moderating both areas?  I'm open to suggestions and feedback on this! "
I feel as though the forums could use another mod or two,  just to help deal with the increased amount of user activity on them. I can't really speak for the Wiki, I'm not too active on that side of the site.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Hamz: Hmm I think the wiki is working just fine right now, but the forums are definitely running a little raggad, Ive seen quite a few spam posts in the last few days, much more than usual. I guess that comes with the increase in population, but its weird its all happening lately. Of course its probably just one guy. =P

So my vote is for another mod to patrol the forums.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Stang

We need more mods that can be here at this time specifically.....this is when the morons come out to play and spam the hell out of the forums. It is starting to get really obnoxious.

KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Xeiphyer said:
" @Hamz: Hmm I think the wiki is working just fine right now, but the forums are definitely running a little raggad, Ive seen quite a few spam posts in the last few days, much more than usual. I guess that comes with the increase in population, but its weird its all happening lately. Of course its probably just one guy. =P  So my vote is for another mod to patrol the forums. "
I agree. The site has got out of hand. All of this spamming is just immature and reckless.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Stang
@creamypies said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" @Hamz: Hmm I think the wiki is working just fine right now, but the forums are definitely running a little raggad, Ive seen quite a few spam posts in the last few days, much more than usual. I guess that comes with the increase in population, but its weird its all happening lately. Of course its probably just one guy. =P  So my vote is for another mod to patrol the forums. "
I agree. The site has got out of hand. All of this spamming is just immature and reckless. "
Half of the posts in the modeling thread are yours. Nice one.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Origina1Penguin
@Hamz:  I haven't been doing any wiki edits, but I think there are enough wiki mods.  One more forum mod might cut down on the recent surge of absurdity in threads though.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By breadfan

I think we definitely need more forum moderators.  Every once and a while spam runs rampant and there isn't a mod online to lock stuff down.

KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Stang: Gahh sarcasm is a wasted art in text form.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Stang said:
" @creamypies said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
I agree. The site has got out of hand. All of this spamming is just immature and reckless. "
Half of the posts in the modeling thread are yours. Nice one. "
A bunch of them are mine too, but only since around page 11 or 12 or so. Theres no other threads active.

I think giantbomb would benefit from having some sort of chatroom aspect, that way people just wanting to chat and have fun could do so without spamming the forums.
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Xeiphyer said:

" @Stang said:

" @creamypies said:

" @Xeiphyer said:
A bunch of them are mine too, but only since around page 11 or 12 or so. Theres no other threads active.  I think giantbomb would benefit from having some sort of chatroom aspect, that way people just wanting to chat and have fun could do so without spamming the forums. "
Heh, I honestly don't see the harm in it in one topic tbh. But yeah, an official chatroom would be a welcome addition.

@Stang: And haha, don't worry about it.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Stang
@creamypies: It is late, I am tired.  I thought you were being serious :/
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DanielJW
@Xeiphyer: I do not agree with that. It would be spammed constantly. People wanting to chat should PM each other, or use their walls. A chat room style thing is just inviting spammers in.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kmdrkul
@Xeiphyer said:
" @Stang said:
" @creamypies said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
A bunch of them are mine too, but only since around page 11 or 12 or so. Theres no other threads active.  I think giantbomb would benefit from having some sort of chatroom aspect, that way people just wanting to chat and have fun could do so without spamming the forums. "
There is the IRC, but last time I went on and said hello someone I have never once seen on these forums said, and I quote, "WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?" and then a bunch of people proceeded to ask the busted-as-all-hell automatic response robot random questions.  They are a scary bunch, those IRC people...
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Hamz

It should be noted that an official, whiskey media created, chat room type of thing will likely never occur here at Giant Bomb. There are various unofficial IRC chatrooms in existence the details of which can be found within the Community Spotlight topic.

So basically folks, you want more mods on the forums? Or is it a case you want a heavier presence from the existing forum mods on the forums?

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DanielJW
@Hamz said:
" It should be noted that an official, whiskey media created, chat room type of thing will likely never occur here at Giant Bomb. There are various unofficial IRC chatrooms in existence the details of which can be found within the Community Spotlight topic.  So basically folks, you want more mods on the forums? Or is it a case you want a heavier presence from the existing forum mods on the forums? "
In my opinion either is good, but getting another mod or two would probably be better than putting more weight on the ones we have. 
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Hamz: Either would suffice.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#45  Edited By citizenkane

The two finalist we choose will have to fight in the THUNDERDOME to become the next moderator.  Two men enter.  One new mod leaves.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Stang
@Hamz said:
" It should be noted that an official, whiskey media created, chat room type of thing will likely never occur here at Giant Bomb. There are various unofficial IRC chatrooms in existence the details of which can be found within the Community Spotlight topic.  So basically folks, you want more mods on the forums? Or is it a case you want a heavier presence from the existing forum mods on the forums? "
It just seems that every night around this time, mods are hard to come by. I know my opinion means nothing, but I vote for modding somebody who can be here around this time on a regular basis.
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@CitizenKane said:
" The two finalist we choose will have to find in the THUNDERDOME to become the next moderator.  Two men enter.  One new mod leaves. "
Congrats on the 3000th post! And aren't you being a little sexist there? :P
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Hamz: Hmmm.. We could always put it to a poll?

I think the forum mods do a great job, its just that when there is no mods around it gets out of hand. I'm not sure of the timezones but I imagine most of the mods are operating within reasonably similar timezones, and thus there is going to be times when everyone is sleeping or at work/school.

Is there a way to see when the mods are on and off? Maybe a new mod available during the dead zones would be good.

Or prehaps they are all just busy right now, new semester just started, gotta get adjusted to that schedule and all that jazz.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Otacon

Another Mod or two wouldn't go a miss, as long as things never become as ludicrous as Gamespot's modding standards which is close to a fascist regime.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#50  Edited By citizenkane
@creamypies said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" The two finalist we choose will have to find in the THUNDERDOME to become the next moderator.  Two men enter.  One new mod leaves. "
Congrats on the 3000th post! And aren't you being a little sexist there? :P "
You mean there are girls on the internet?