Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

Should I buy this game?

max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By max3000

I've been an avid fan of GT ever since the first came out. I literally beat the game using manual trans when I was 8 years old (not trying to brag or anything)
    But all the stuff I'm reading about GT5.. is it really worth my hard earned cash?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

You want a driving sim or a video game?

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Dingofighter

If you are as big a fan of driving simulators as you say, then I think you should buy it as that part of the game gets very high praise. 
    You just have to deal with some janky menus, but I guess that's worth it for the actual driving.  

I've never actually played the game though, so I'm just going off what other people say about the game.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

Yes it's worth the cash.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ryax

Nope

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By galiant

If you like GT it sounds like you'll enjoy the game because it's more of the same with a lot of cars?

I wouldn't know, haven't played it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai
    I haven't played the game myself though I intend to but from all the reviews I've read and people I talked to say that if you are a GT fan then this game is for you. 
    max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By max3000

Yes, I'm a fan of some racing sims and I'm just a gearhead in general.
    BTW, I've been on some general racing sim forums and non of them consider the GT series to be a real sim and I tend to agree. So I'm looking for both a sim and just a good game.
    I think I'll get this game just for the sheer number of vehicles. Although the no cockpit thing on most of the cars bums me out...

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pessh

Got it yesterday, not sure what the reviews are on about, menus are fine and I'm too focused on racing to notice any 2d trees.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @max3000 said:
    " I'm just a gearhead in general. "
    You'll love it.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11  Edited By galiant
    @Pessh
    Got it yesterday, not sure what the reviews are on about, menus are fine and I'm too focused on racing to notice any 2d trees.
    Yeah, it looks great in motion and that's essentially what matters right?
    max3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By max3000

Okay, I think I'm buying this tomorrow :D
     Thanks guys!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

yes, it's worth a buy. there are a lot of different things in there like mod the car and then tunning the car. if you like racing sims then get it.

Twist3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twist3d

if you like GT youll love this!!  i really cant understand why people are slagging it so much : / the game is brilliant, it has a few flaws but dont all games these days? average review score is between 7.5-9.0 the majority of people who are slagging this game are xbox fanboys in my opinion, you should deffinatley try it out !

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Twist3d
    if you like GT youll love this!!  i really cant understand why people are slagging it so much : / the game is brilliant, it has a few flaws but dont all games these days? average review score is between 7.5-9.0 the majority of people who are slagging this game are xbox fanboys in my opinion, you should deffinatley try it out !
    WRONG! The majority of people aren't fanboys but people looking at it as a game. As a game GT5 sucks but it drives so damn well.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By handlas

the driving + the playing around in the photomode is worth my 60 bucks.  The only thing that could of made the game better for me was if every car had an interior view.  But I guess that's a lot to ask for if you count how many "standard" cars there are.  As for the complaints I see towards teh game...the menus don't bother me...that's a complaint a see a lot.  The music is fine; I use custom soundtracks while racing and enjoy the menu music just fine.  The damage on cars is a real shame on the standard vehicles...your car deforms really strangely when you get dents and it just doesn't look good.  Premium cars look better but you can't seem to damage them all that much.  I've yet to drive any race cars, however.  I hopped online for a couple races and it seemed pretty awful...one game I got in wouldn't even start...I guess the host needs to start it?  Everyone was just driving around the track waiting for the game to start and no one ever started it. 

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By benpack

It sounds like you would enjoy this game very much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

This has been a piss poor year for non Move PS3 exclusives so if you only own a PS3 and have just a mild interest in racing it might be worth a buy.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pessh
    @bartok said:
    " This has been a piss poor year for non Move PS3 exclusives so if you only own a PS3 and have just a mild interest in racing it might be worth a buy. "
    Yeah only God of War 3, Heavy Rain, The Sly Collection, Yakuza 3, 3D Dot Game Heroes. 2011 will be a shit year too, not much besides Killzone 3, LBP2, Infamous 2, Resistance 3, The Last Guardian, Yakuza 4, a New Socom and a new Ratchet.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By captain_clayman

if you like gran turismo, chances are you'll like gran turismo.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By handlas
    @Pessh said:
    " @bartok said:
    " This has been a piss poor year for non Move PS3 exclusives so if you only own a PS3 and have just a mild interest in racing it might be worth a buy. "
    Yeah only God of War 3, Heavy Rain, The Sly Collection, Yakuza 3, 3D Dot Game Heroes. 2011 will be a shit year too, not much besides Killzone 3, LBP2, Infamous 2, Resistance 3, The Last Guardian, Yakuza 4, a New Socom and a new Ratchet. "
    MAG.  Ya, everyone hates on it.  But it wasn't a bad game and the reviews for it weren't bad.  Modnation Racers, I could say the same for.  I meant to pick up MLB 10  The Show as well but never got around to it.

The multiplat games were the best this year for me.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@Pessh said:
    " @bartok said:
    Yeah only God of War 3, Heavy Rain, The Sly Collection, Yakuza 3, 3D Dot Game Heroes. 2011 will be a shit year too, not much besides Killzone 3, LBP2, Infamous 2, Resistance 3, The Last Guardian, Yakuza 4, a New Socom and a new Ratchet. "
    I am assuming you are being sarcastic so let's dissect this.  GOW3 is a legit big release, Heavy Rain was a fancy Dragon's Lair but I will count it as a major release, The Sly Collection doesn't count because it isn't new, Yakuza 3 is a niche title, and 3D Dot Hero was fun but not a AAA exclusive title.  You also forgot Modnation racers and MAG but they are both pretty forgettable.  I am not Sony bashing but it was just an off year for original titles there was no "OMG I must buy a system to play this title". 
    Next year looks stellar I am only pissed that the new Ratchet game is a 4 player co-op thingie instead of a real Ratchet title.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

Only if you care about how cars drive. The tracks don't look great, and the "game" surrouding the (great) driving isn't really good at all. But once again if you really care about realistic car handling and such, and own a wheel (I'd say it's a must to get any enjoyment out of this, like how playing a flight sim without a joystick is useless), then it's perfect for you. 

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By handlas

the guy isn't asking if he should buy a PS3.  He's asking if he should buy GT5 which implies he already has a PS3.

So the last 4-5 comments or whatever are pointless in this thread (my own included)...excluding Sniper's cuz he posted while I posted :)

Fact is...GT5 is the best sim racer on the PS3 so if that is what you want than this is what to get.  360 vs PS3...Forza holds its own against it imo.  Either game is worth owning if not both.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yakov456
    @Pessh
    Finally, I thought I was the only one who didn't mind the menus. Thank you.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By keyhunter

Sanfransisco RUSH is about 200 times better.

Upfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Upfish
    @Pessh said:
    " @bartok said:
    In his defense, the only one of those games that came out since May is a collection of games that came out on the PS2.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Hamz said:
    " Yes it's worth the cash. "
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Pessh said:

" @bartok said:

lol @ your inclusion of Yakuza. 

But anyways, Yeah GT5 is probably worth the money. I haven't played a lot of it, only a few hours, but it seems alright. There's definitely a lot about it that annoys me though, and I prefer Forza 3.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By Yanngc33

As Jeff and Ryan said they made another gran turismo game so in your case you should buy it

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By jasondaplock

Go for it. Just be prepared for intermittent aggravation and you'll be alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.