Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grey Goo

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 23, 2015

A real-time strategy game by Petroglyph, an indie developer founded by ex-employees of Westwood Studios. It aims to emphasize broad "macro" strategy over micromanagement, emulating the design of early RTS games like the Command & Conquer series.

Why is literally nobody talking about Grey Goo?

• 87 results
    rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@bollard: Yeh technically its based of the Total Annihilation series but that differs alot from CnC, i liked Total Annihilation though but Supreme commander never catched on.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mikemcn said:

@casey25 said:

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War 2 and Company of Heroes 2 are two of the most fun games i've ever played. There's definitely a large learning curve with these games but it's more about actual battlefield tactics at a pace that's easier to follow than starcraft's number crunching APM-demanding style (not to hate on SC's combat).

For micro, you should try Men of War:Assault squad, it also has it's own learning curve but units are way more varied and detailed, each with their own inventories full of items. Tactics that you use are realistic because your tanks and infantry are realistically vulnerable. I love those games and since I loved Dawn of War 2, you might like them also.

The problems with MoW:AS are that:

a) Nobody plays it.

b) Multiplayer is broken and laggy

c) The devs are lazy as hell, copy most of their assets in between games and neglect fundamental features like skirmish

I'm all for MoW's brand of micro but since their game is virtually unplayable, I'll have to stick with CoH2.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

The model for Lucy Tak in this game is probably one of the most realistic I've ever seen.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should have called it "Direct & Defeat"

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit I'm loving this game. It gets rid of basically everything I disliked about StarCraft (not that that game is bad). The macromanaging sounded weird to me but after playing some matches it's really great to not have to micro-manage each unit.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game looks slooow and boring and shallow as fuck to be honest. The engine also looks super generic. I will probably buy it anyway because I want a new RTS experience. Maybe the campaign story will be good, the cutscenes looks excellent.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#57 FinalDasa  Moderator

I hadn't heard of this game until last week and until the QL I assumed it was a physics puzzle game like World of Goo.

I'm certainly interested but more than likely this isn't a day one purchase for me. I do enjoy strategy games like this from time to time but not usually of this ilk.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@daiphyer said:

I watched the quick look, and I think it looks great, and I am totally getting it. However, that is a TERRIBLE name. I thought it was like a cheap, World of Goo rip-off.

The term "grey goo" has been around for a long time. It's the name of a potentially world-ending scenario where nanobots run amok and essentially "eat" the world in order to propagate themselves wherein the only thing left over is a sea of grey goo. Kind of a parable against science going too far.

If you want to read a great book that deals with the concept, Greg Bear's "Blood Music" is awesome.

That makes the title infinitely cooler in my opinion.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claybrez: Ehhh, conceptually it's cool but it still sounds kinda stupid.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can't understand why this genre all but vanished. In my circle of friends our favorite games were always RTS's. I guess that doesn't reflect the mass majority.

I would be very happy if AoE got ressurrected, or maybe most if there was ever a real Homeworld 3.

I will most likely buy Grey Goo but the C&C variant of gameplay was always my least favorite compared to AoE and the other big series.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed every single C&C game (beside the last two) because of these guys .So i'll make sure to give this one a go .

@daiphyer said:

I watched the quick look, and I think it looks great, and I am totally getting it. However, that is a TERRIBLE name. I thought it was like a cheap, World of Goo rip-off.

The term "grey goo" has been around for a long time. It's the name of a potentially world-ending scenario where nanobots run amok and essentially "eat" the world in order to propagate themselves wherein the only thing left over is a sea of grey goo. Kind of a parable against science going too far.

If you want to read a great book that deals with the concept, Greg Bear's "Blood Music" is awesome.

This sounds a lot like the big bang theory, a great and well thought concept but with a band term .

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Needs a demo at that price, imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the game as good as Red Alert 2 or Tiberian Sun?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#64  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@masterpaperlink said:

Is the game as good as Red Alert 2 or Tiberian Sun?

As I never was a big fan of the Red Alert series, maybe to the former. No to the latter, since Tiberian Sun is one of the best games of all time, and Grey Goo is just a really good RTS which maybe wouldn't have been as significant if we were still getting as many RTS games as we did from 1994-2004. But as there have only been like 3-5 (at most) RTS games released every year for the past decade, it's certainly one of the best in years.

But it's got a music jukebox like the old C&C games, and that's a fucking wonderful inclusion that even most of the later C&C games didn't have.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrm: I think nanomachines on a mission to duplicate and consume everything they can sounds cool as shit.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By scroll

I should have really been mentioning this a lot more. If I was more active.

Anyway I think its pretty nice. Easily Petroglyph's best game yet, it could do with better map variety and there are currently some balance issues; The Alpha unit for the humans is particularly weak while the hand of ruk's range is rather silly.

lancer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By lancer75

It's a damn shame how under-marketed and poorly branded this game was. I hope that it still sells well, because I love it, and I think it deserves a lot more recognition than it's gotten.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68  Edited By BisonHero

So, mechanically it seems pretty cool, but I guess I think the reason this game might struggle is on an art design level. The non-goo races have kinda samey-looking tech, and I don't think any of the designs are really impactful. It might just be something like they don't have a really noticeable silhouette that "pops" or something. And perhaps worse than all that is that the environments just look kinda bad.

So I think the game makes a bad visual impression (except when you see how badass the goo is), but I'm still kinda interested in playing it and hope it does well for Petroglyph. I mean, I wanna play it, but I don't $50 wanna play it.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@fisk0 said:

@pandabear said:

@ch3burashka said:

Looks like there's enough talk for the GB team to record, produce and put up a Quick Look. Now don't you feel silly for your hyperbolic title?

It's like 2 steps down from a "You Won't Believe What Happened Next!" title. Please restrain yourselves, people.

"I knew there was a new RTS coming soon, but nothing could prepare me for what I found out next"

Yeah, people need to stop with the "Why won't anyone talk about this game!" and perhaps say "Here's a game i think is worth knowing about"

But the thing is, this isn't a cool debut game from some unknown developers. It's a game by some of the people who created the RTS genre as we know it, and up until the Quick Look was posted, there hadn't been a single news article or trailer about the game posted on this site, nor any other sites I follow (which admittedly isn't all gaming sites out there, nor even a large percentage of the more popular ones). Even Brad mentioned in the Quick Look that he hadn't heard of the game until the day they sat down to record the video.

I stand by the statement that nobody was talking about the game up until the game's launch. I don't think that's hyberbolic in this case, judging by the amount of people posting here mentioning they hadn't heard of the game before either.

I did a cursory Google search for "grey goo" and only about half of it was related to the game; there's a Gamespot video, an Ars Technica article, but there's not a deluge of coverage, I'll grant you that.

However, I do not have an issue with the existence of the article itself. I had only seen it in the Steam store and wasn't all that intrigued. Thank you for introducing me to the history and personalities behind this game, and why they matter in this case. What I'm concerned with is the cliche'd, hyperbolic and overused attention-grabbing sentence "Why is no one...". I don't want to seem thin-skinned, but it is literally formulated as a passive attack on the reader, calling them out on their lack of knowledge. The reader doesn't come for the information - they come to defend their honor.

@pandabear got it spot-on - the preferable approach would be "Here's a cool game" or "Westwood alums are making a game."

Just to add to this, Grey Goo is a fucking awful name. To me it sounds like a physics-base iPhone puzzle game. Total Annihilation, Command & Conquer, StarCraft (obviously building off the WarCraft name), Age of Empires, Rise of Nations ... I mean I know that you don't judge a book by it's cover, but when you hear one of those other names it sounds like a war game... Grey Goo is evocative of nothing to me.

Also "Westwood alums are making a game." would actually draw me in... I mean out of all the studios I miss those guys are right up there.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: Yep agreed, and *if* you read what I posted I stated that the concept behind the term 'Grey Goo' is cool but the name is still lame.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking it so far, gameplay and music is superb and playing the Campaign a bit. I really hope they continue to expand the game with expansions throughout the years and make it a universe. They'll have to make the factions a bit more unique though.

The only thing wrong with the name of the game is that they forget to add "The".

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Capum15

@lacklustedludwig: I can see waiting for a price drop if you are only slightly into RTS games, or at least are on the fence about the game as a whole, but if you really like the genre, and enjoyed pretty much any of the Command and Conquer games, then this is a damn good one in a similar vein.

I felt it worth the price tag for me. I really like this game, and I've only gotten about 2/3rds through the campaign so far. Also hot damn, those cutscenes look nice. The humans remind me of Halo 4 (not as good, but still great looking).

It's just nice to have a new C&C-like game.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of cutscenes, is the framerate a bit wonky for anyone else?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grey Goo is a really, really bad name for an RTS. I think they're going for the "let's not spend money advertising this and just send it to youtubers" approach which to be fair, has worked for other games.

Game actually does seem interesting though.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle: I had a bit of chop during the start of the first few cutscenes but that seems to have gone away. I haven't noticed anything during gameplay.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Ravelle

@capum15 said:

@ravelle: I had a bit of chop during the start of the first few cutscenes but that seems to have gone away. I haven't noticed anything during gameplay.

Gameplay is perfectly fine but the cutscenes are choppy on my end for some reason.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle: Well that sucks. Only thing I can think of is messing with graphic settings, maybe resolution, but I don't know how it affects cutscenes. My issue was that the start of cutscenes were choppy but smoothed out after a few seconds, but that issue disappeared early on.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrm: Yeah and I'm saying I don't think the name is lame, because of the concept.

Sure maybe the name does it a disservice when people probably assume it's a World of Goo sort of game, but that doesn't make the name lame (fame blame same tame).

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Budwyzer

Because the units are all so similar. How is anyone supposed to tell what they're fighting when every unit is a variation on the same base model?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

What happened to the unit variation from Tiberian Sun?

Grey Goo units

dietlime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By dietlime

1.) I haven't heard of it before, therefore it must be bad. Quality is based on a publisher's marketing budget, until the day after release.

2.) I don't like RTS games, probably because I have only ever played games with analog sticks (or maybe I suck) and feel the need to tell you about my personal genre taste.

3.) I'm willing to write lengthy posts discounting the game based only on it's obscurity, even though my favorite games of all time are probably all one-off hits.

Seriously people? Such shallow-mindedness from gamers, how surprising. Any game's notoriety is utterly irrelevant. Judge things on their own merits only.

There are two major flavors to RTS design. The first I'll call "Starcraft like." Limited resources quickly deplete, building units is fast, and economies are vulnerable. Any link in the chain broken for even a minute typically leaves the loser unable to catch up resulting in shorter games. Then you have you "C&C like" RTS games, where resources are either infinite or abundant, both reasource collection and unit production can easily be automated, and even besieged players can sometimes make comebacks. Bases are harder to destory, there are fewer "critical" structures, and games tend to run on much longer into battles of attrition.

Grey Goo is a major revival of the second variety; more like C&C than any other game, but parallels can be drawn with Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander. I played the first three single-player stages today. Here are my impressions:

1.) The game's single player has merit. Blizzard-quality cut-scenes include personable characters. The premise is somewhat cliche, but the plot is sure to please classic sci-fi fans. An experiment gone awry results in an invasion of mysterious origin, prompting an evacuation. Cutscenes are supported by video transmissions before each mission which help make the experience feels very cohesive.

2.) The single player game is challenging. I can't say for certain, but the Normal AI did seem to use scout-and-response routines; attacking in force as soon as I left my base undefended. Other people on the Steam Discussion pages and forum's official pages have noted the game is difficult.

3.) The races are very asymmetric. The Goo has no base, morphing units from the Mother Goo, which can sit on top of resource extraction points and work up more spooge with which to divide into goo-babies. The Betas are fairly standard, setting up multiple bases. The third race I only played against, but had some sort of mega-base thing going on where every building needed to be directly wired to a central node. Notably, none of the races required "builder units" - instead opting to allow the player to drop structures anywhere valid that they have sight through the fog of war.

4.) It seems like a (relatively) turtle-friendly game. The two not-Goo races have walls, which fall quickly but break up large forces. The Betas can mount units on their walls, at least one of which only functions offensively while mounted.

5.) Tech choices run up to 3:00 to unlock and are branching trade-offs. I think there is counterplay potential here, but didn't get to play against humans. You can also remove these and select a different branch mid-game. The tech only seemed to modify existing units. Effectively, every unit in the game past the first two was like building a Siege Tank in SCII. Factory to produce, attachment to determine what it can produce, upgrades on the attachment.

5.) It is a visually impressive game unquestionably on par with Starcraft II:HOTS. The animations are detailed and the shaders atmospheric.

Get it's whirlygigs in your eyeballs already if you love C&C, this may be a more deserving spiritual successor than previous titles. If you just like Starcraft II, but wouldn't mind a slower RTS with much less logistical micromanagement and more freedom to handle your units, this one's production qualities are on par. The UI and hotkeys are intuitive, and you should have no problem getting started.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#82 fisk0  Moderator

@budwyzer said:

Because the units are all so similar. How is anyone supposed to tell what they're fighting when every unit is a variation on the same base model?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

What happened to the unit variation from Tiberian Sun?

Grey Goo units

Yeah, that's my biggest issue so far (other than the performance getting worse over the course of a match, plays flawlessly for the first 15 minutes and then gets more framey for every moment). The Betas and Humans are too similar visually, and it's hard to distinguish between land and air units, since almost all the land units are hovercraft (not to mention, like you posted, the unit designs themselves are pretty similar to each other). I kinda think they made the human designs too detached from today's technology over all, and I think tracked, wheeled or bipedal vehicles like we saw in Tiberian Sun or even Universe At War would've better conveyed the unit's functions. I mean, Tiberian Sun had some pretty futuristic stuff, but you could still generally see what a unit would do by it's visuals alone, and everything except possibly the infantry, being visually distinct.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Capum15

Managed to get around to finishing the campaign.

Hot damn, I loved it. Haven't enjoyed an RTS story that much in a while. I would totally buy any expansions they put out that continued it.

@fisk0:I figured the 'detached from today's technology' is what made the humans in this game. They advanced to a stage where they had interstellar travel, teleport tech, etc, so their units would reflect that. If any of the races would have tracked or wheeled stuff, it would probably have been the Betas, but they went for the more walker mech like industrial stuff. I never had much trouble distinguishing the two races due to those factors (shiny hovercrafts v industrial-looking mechs, essentially).

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome more distinct units within the factions, though. While it never bothered me, I agree that more variation would be nice.

The Goo kind of reminds me of C&C 4 with the mobile command thing, but cooler. Their epic unit - the Purger - is pretty good, though I still prefer the Hand of Ruk with 4 tanks and 2 AA on it (the range is pretty ridiculous on the main cannon). The humans' Alpha is cool as hell, but didn't seem as effective (though I could just be crap at using it).

Anyway, I really enjoyed the game overall. Some missions were a pain but most were fine. I hope they continue with this game/series in the future.

The Silence Grows. So Must We.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15: How long was the campaign? I absolutely adore RTS games and this has been on my radar for a while. What pissed me off about Planetary Annihilation was the lack of a "story" of any kind. I hate playing RTS games in multiplayer so I'm looking for a proper campaign. Tell me it's more than 3 hours...

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stepside: Hmm, I would say about...8-10 hours depending on how well you do and the difficulty you play on. I think missions were averaging about 30-40~ minutes, though a couple took me a bit longer, and there's 15 of them. Haven't played much since though, been going through some other games I need to finish, so my times could be a little off.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Stepside

@capum15: Right on. I bought the game based on that - much appreciated

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stepside: Cool, I hope you enjoy it, I certainly did.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MeierTheRed

I will definitely pick it up, but i have a few things i want to get done before i buy it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.