As of August 2009, Halo 3 has sold 10 million copies

• 61 results
#1 Posted by L4wz (377 posts) -

Well im sure some of you have heard this before but, as of August this year Halo 3 has sold over 10 Milltion units worldwide making it the first Xbox exclusive to reach 10 Million (In both the original and 360) and the 35th ever made to reach that mark. What are your thoughts on that?
#2 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

Took long enough.

#3 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

Thats a lot of 12 year olds.

#4 Posted by Dalai (7030 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" Thats a lot of 12 year olds. "
That's all the 12 year olds.
#5 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Is that the fastest game to sell 10 million?

#6 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

"Both the original and the 360"?

#7 Posted by Spacetrucking (943 posts) -
@Dalai said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
That's all the 12 year olds. "
Because only 12 year olds can enjoy Halo, right ?  *shrug*
#8 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (550 posts) -

That's totally awesome, dude. I'm going back to MW2 now.

#9 Posted by HistoryInRust (6317 posts) -
@Romination said:
"Took long enough. "
I guess I can understand, given it's an Xbox exclusive. Games like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty get a little leeway because they're available on several concurrent platforms.
#10 Edited by Teptom (2047 posts) -

Yep, that sure is a lot.

#11 Posted by jkz (4028 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Is that the fastest game to sell 10 million? "
No, I don't believe so. That would be Modern Warfare by a good margin, and if it hasn't yet, I'm sure Modern Warfare 2 will shatter that record as well.
#12 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

Umm shouldn't GTA IV have as well.@Bellum said:

" "Both the original and the 360"? "
It has is the most sold on 360 and has sold more than the top original Xbox game.
#13 Posted by Rowr (5665 posts) -

i dont give it long until mw2 catches up.

#14 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Cool. I need to go back and play some more of Halo 3 online one of these days.

#15 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -
@Killjoy: 

It's good you understand.
#16 Posted by Spacetrucking (943 posts) -
@Bellum: What do you have against Halo ?
#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

hurray. 

the word Halo comes from the arabic word "ha-luh"  which means halo. 

#18 Posted by L4wz (377 posts) -
@Dalai said:
" @Bucketdeth said:

Oh so EVERYONE who enjoys Halo is a 12 year old?
#19 Posted by big_jon (5730 posts) -
@L4wz said:
"@Dalai said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
Oh so EVERYONE who enjoys Halo is a 12 year old? "

No shit I am 21 so that dude can suck it.
#20 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@big_jon said:

" @L4wz said:

"@Dalai said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
No shit I am 21 so that dude can suck it. "
How dare you tell the almighty king of Gian Bomb  Bucketdeth to suck it?
#21 Posted by big_jon (5730 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" @big_jon said:

" @L4wz said:

"@Dalai said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
No shit I am 21 so that dude can suck it. "
How dare you tell the almighty king of Gian Bomb  Bucketdeth to suck it? "

King of sucking it it suppose.
#22 Posted by ElementLeaf (12 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" hurray.   the word Halo comes from the arabic word "ha-luh"  which means halo.  "
Halo means halo? What a strange coincidence . . . almost as if it was planned!
#23 Edited by natetodamax (19207 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Is that the fastest game to sell 10 million? "
Not even close

@Bucketdeth said:

#24 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I didn't help.  I bought my Special Edition version used.  Played 20 minutes and was overcome by nausea and boredom.  Just not for me.  I need the Nintendo play through thing, so I can get to the interesting bits (I am sure there are interesting bits) and past the boring start.  I don't see myself going back to it in any hurry.

#25 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

It's hilarious the amount of damage control that transpired in this thread. Why are people personally offended at halo 3 selling 10 million? I know it's because natetodamax ragequits every single time he is killed by these "12 year olds", even though he likes to think he is above it, but what about everyone else?

#26 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -
@crunchUK said:
" It's hilarious the amount of damage control that transpired in this thread. Why are people personally offended at halo 3 selling 10 million? I know it's because natetodamax ragequits every single time he is killed by these "12 year olds", even though he likes to think he is above it, but what about everyone else? "
Because apparently it's the cool thing to do to hate on Halo. Popular things = bad. Bring down the government. 

Congrats, Halo! That's a lot of sales from only 4 games, with the vast majority of sales being in one game (Halo 3).  

So I thought that Halo 3 sold around 8m so far... does that mean that Halo 1, 2 and Wars sold the rest?
#27 Posted by Jeffsekai (7033 posts) -

I love me some Halo, yay!

#28 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@xyzygy: Nope, Halo 3 has sold 10 million.
#29 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -
@girdz said:
" @xyzygy: Nope, Halo 3 has sold 10 million. "
Oh, wtf? I thought that the OP meant like, all the games combined. It must be between 15-20 million now if you include the whole franchise.
#30 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@xyzygy: Most likely.
#31 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@ElementLeaf said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" hurray.   the word Halo comes from the arabic word "ha-luh"  which means halo.  "
Halo means halo? What a strange coincidence . . . almost as if it was planned! "
its possible that, for instance, the word Halo (which means halo) comes from the arabic word "ha-luh" which doesnt mean halo, but something different (or similar to halo) .. isnt it ? 
the obvious and quick (more like hasty) answer is "no it isnt" but really, it is ..
#32 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@L4wz said:
" @Dalai said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
There's no point in questioning blind stupidity.  

Also, yeah, because if I play ANY OTHER GAME on LIVE, everyone is mature as hell right? People are idiots. 
#33 Posted by essaregee (573 posts) -

I bet that it would be much more profitable if they kept on supporting it with maps and stuff

#34 Posted by wwfundertaker (1403 posts) -
@ElementLeaf said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
Halo means halo? What a strange coincidence . . . almost as if it was planned! "
That made me laugh :)
#35 Posted by Zereta (1368 posts) -

Anything Halo wise always attracts the assholes. Its the rule of the internet.

#36 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -
@Zereta said:
" Anything Halo wise always attracts the assholes. Its the rule of the internet. "
I don't think so.  Anything online attracts ass holes, you'll meet just as many immature jerks on Call of Duty, Killzone, World of Warcraft or even Pokemon.
Hell, even on this website as evident by some of these posts.

I'm not sure why Halo has aquired such a bad reputation for this, I've made more online friends on Halo than any other game I've ever played online..  I've come across my fair share of those 12 year olds too, but again, not any more than I have on other games.  If anything, I'd say it's more noticeable purely because of the amount of people that play Halo, and the fact almost everyone uses voice chat.
#37 Posted by Zereta (1368 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @Zereta said:
" Anything Halo wise always attracts the assholes. Its the rule of the internet. "
I don't think so.  Anything online attracts ass holes, you'll meet just as many immature jerks on Call of Duty, Killzone, World of Warcraft or even Pokemon. Hell, even on this website as evident by some of these posts.  I'm not sure why Halo has aquired such a bad reputation for this, I've made more online friends on Halo than any other game I've ever played online..  I've come across my fair share of those 12 year olds too, but again, not any more than I have on other games.  If anything, I'd say it's more noticeable purely because of the amount of people that play Halo, and the fact almost everyone uses voice chat. "
I was actually referring to the immediate response of the Halo Hate Team here on Giant Bomb but those are good points as well.
#38 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @girdz said:
" @xyzygy: Nope, Halo 3 has sold 10 million. "
Oh, wtf? I thought that the OP meant like, all the games combined. It must be between 15-20 million now if you include the whole franchise. "
Roughly 25 million for the three mainline games if you don't count the PC versions.  Something like 28.5ish if you count ODST.

Also, haters gonna hate.
#39 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@EvilTwin: Who's hating?
#40 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@girdz said:
" @EvilTwin: Who's hating? "
Uhh, did you read the thread?  If you want me to make you a list:
Bucketdeth
Bellum
Natetodamax
#41 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@EvilTwin: Oh, I thought you were talking about me or xyzygy.
#42 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@girdz said:
" @EvilTwin: Oh, I thought you were talking about me or xyzygy. "
Nah, your fanciful (and festive) Solid Snake avatar could never hate anything. :)
#43 Edited by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:

" @Zereta said:

I don't think so.  Anything online attracts ass holes, you'll meet just as many immature jerks on Call of Duty, Killzone, World of Warcraft or even Pokemon. Hell, even on this website as evident by some of these posts.  I'm not sure why Halo has aquired such a bad reputation for this, I've made more online friends on Halo than any other game I've ever played online..  I've come across my fair share of those 12 year olds too, but again, not any more than I have on other games.  If anything, I'd say it's more noticeable purely because of the amount of people that play Halo, and the fact almost everyone uses voice chat. "
It's more noticable because the people that seem to think this have played about 12 games of halo, and as a result just float around the bottom ranks of matchmaking. Once you get to extremely high levels it's not kiddies, it's fully grown tryhards who are impossible cunts and arseholes. That's why i play social - the presence of either group is minimal
#44 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

Too bad Halo sucks. 

*runs away*

#45 Posted by R3Qui4M (408 posts) -
@xyzygy: Halo: CE: 5 Million, Halo 2: 9 Million, Halo 3: 10 Million, Halo Wars: ~ 2 Million = 26 Million.
#46 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I never see anyone playing Halo 3 anymore. MW 2 is the Halo 3 of 2009 I guess.
#47 Posted by Zereta (1368 posts) -
@Godlyawesomeguy said:
" I never see anyone playing Halo 3 anymore. MW 2 is the Halo 3 of 2009 I guess. "
Nope, population for post-MW2 Halo 3 is in fact increasing.
#48 Posted by L4wz (377 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @crunchUK said:
" It's hilarious the amount of damage control that transpired in this thread. Why are people personally offended at halo 3 selling 10 million? I know it's because natetodamax ragequits every single time he is killed by these "12 year olds", even though he likes to think he is above it, but what about everyone else? "
Because apparently it's the cool thing to do to hate on Halo. Popular things = bad. Bring down the government.  Congrats, Halo! That's a lot of sales from only 4 games, with the vast majority of sales being in one game (Halo 3).   So I thought that Halo 3 sold around 8m so far... does that mean that Halo 1, 2 and Wars sold the rest? "

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=4787
#49 Posted by Alphawolfy (325 posts) -

I guess that's cool, haven't played Halo 3 in a while (since the summer maybe?). And to the people who say that Halo 3 is full of immature kiddies, luckily not everyone who likes Halo is like that. 
I'm quite surprised that relatively many people are still playing Halo 3's multiplayer now that MW2 has been out for a few weeks; was similarly surprised that I could still join a game of Bad Company 1 within a few seconds.

#50 Posted by L4wz (377 posts) -

Now it's up to 10.5 million.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.