Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Bungie should develop Starcraft: Ghost

Shinwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By Shinwei

I didn't think much of it when I saw the news that Bungie had signed a deal with Activision to be their new publisher for the next 10 years. Over the years Halo has begun to grow a little stale on me, and I couldn't even get into Halo 3: ODST due to franchise fatigue. That is to say, my "fanhood" of Bungie was on the decline for the past year or so. It wasn't until I listened to Garnett Lee and his crew on the latest episode of Weekend Confirmed that a giant flashing light-bulb appeared in my head. All of a sudden I remembered what I felt when I played through each of the campaigns in the Halo Trilogy. I don't know how many others felt this, but I felt it so strongly whenever I played the Halo campaigns that it was hard to focus on the action: 

Every time I played Halo, I thought about Starcraft. 

I don't know if any of the designers at Bungie ever admitted to being inspired by Starcraft during an interview, but I am absolutely positive that they had.   Every time I encountered an Elite, I thought about Protoss Zealots. Every time I shotgunned a swarm of Flood, I thought about Zerg. I still have trouble remembering that he's called the Gravemind and not the Overmind. And all throughout Halo 3 when I was trying to rescue Cortanna from the over.. Gravemind, the only thing I could think about was Kerrigan.  

Let's think about Starcraft: Ghost for a little bit. Back when it was up on the Blizzard website and listed under active development, it sparked imagination. I fantasized for years about being able to sneak through the interiors of Battlecruisers and Carriers. I wanted to engage Protoss Zealots in combat using the ghost's unique arsenal of stealth, psionic powers, and guns. And can you imagine encountering a Zerg Ultralisk in a boss fight?

Blizzard wanted to put Ghost on the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox but did not want to develop internally because their programmers' experience on consoles and shooters were limited to none. So first Blizzard went and enlisted the help of Nihilistic Software to make their game. It didn't go so well so Blizzard fired them and gave the project to Swingin' Ape Studios. The result still did not live up to Blizzard's quality standards and by that time the current console generation was pretty much over. When I went to E3 in 2006, I went and asked a Blizzard employee directly about the status of Starcraft: Ghost and he told me that it was delayed indefinitely.  After reading about the development history of Ghost, it's hard not to be convinced that Blizzard just could not find a good console developer to work with to get their vision out.  

Enter Bungie. They've got a proven track record: they know shooters and they know sci-fi, they even know how to do Active Camo (and presumably they know Starcraft as well). These guys are the cream of the crop when it comes to developing console-based sci-fi shooters with beam swords (psi blades) and swarms of Flood (Zerg). Best of all, Bungie and Blizzard are now on the same team! I understand that they're itching to come out with a brand new IP all their own, but come on..!!! The stars have aligned - this is a match made in heaven. So please, Activision, I don't care if you have to threaten to fire someone for insubordination (okay, that was a joke), please have Bungie make Starcraft: Ghost.
    Shinwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Shinwei

I didn't think much of it when I saw the news that Bungie had signed a deal with Activision to be their new publisher for the next 10 years. Over the years Halo has begun to grow a little stale on me, and I couldn't even get into Halo 3: ODST due to franchise fatigue. That is to say, my "fanhood" of Bungie was on the decline for the past year or so. It wasn't until I listened to Garnett Lee and his crew on the latest episode of Weekend Confirmed that a giant flashing light-bulb appeared in my head. All of a sudden I remembered what I felt when I played through each of the campaigns in the Halo Trilogy. I don't know how many others felt this, but I felt it so strongly whenever I played the Halo campaigns that it was hard to focus on the action: 

Every time I played Halo, I thought about Starcraft. 

I don't know if any of the designers at Bungie ever admitted to being inspired by Starcraft during an interview, but I am absolutely positive that they had.   Every time I encountered an Elite, I thought about Protoss Zealots. Every time I shotgunned a swarm of Flood, I thought about Zerg. I still have trouble remembering that he's called the Gravemind and not the Overmind. And all throughout Halo 3 when I was trying to rescue Cortanna from the over.. Gravemind, the only thing I could think about was Kerrigan.  

Let's think about Starcraft: Ghost for a little bit. Back when it was up on the Blizzard website and listed under active development, it sparked imagination. I fantasized for years about being able to sneak through the interiors of Battlecruisers and Carriers. I wanted to engage Protoss Zealots in combat using the ghost's unique arsenal of stealth, psionic powers, and guns. And can you imagine encountering a Zerg Ultralisk in a boss fight?

Blizzard wanted to put Ghost on the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox but did not want to develop internally because their programmers' experience on consoles and shooters were limited to none. So first Blizzard went and enlisted the help of Nihilistic Software to make their game. It didn't go so well so Blizzard fired them and gave the project to Swingin' Ape Studios. The result still did not live up to Blizzard's quality standards and by that time the current console generation was pretty much over. When I went to E3 in 2006, I went and asked a Blizzard employee directly about the status of Starcraft: Ghost and he told me that it was delayed indefinitely.  After reading about the development history of Ghost, it's hard not to be convinced that Blizzard just could not find a good console developer to work with to get their vision out.  

Enter Bungie. They've got a proven track record: they know shooters and they know sci-fi, they even know how to do Active Camo (and presumably they know Starcraft as well). These guys are the cream of the crop when it comes to developing console-based sci-fi shooters with beam swords (psi blades) and swarms of Flood (Zerg). Best of all, Bungie and Blizzard are now on the same team! I understand that they're itching to come out with a brand new IP all their own, but come on..!!! The stars have aligned - this is a match made in heaven. So please, Activision, I don't care if you have to threaten to fire someone for insubordination (okay, that was a joke), please have Bungie make Starcraft: Ghost.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

...there's a reason Blizzard bailed it.  I trust Blizzard over Bungie...I mean, what has Bungie done in the past 10 years?  What has Blizzard done?  Reinvented the MMO, RTS, and Hack and Slash.  

If Blizzard didn't want Ghost, leave it so.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nanikore

No.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @KaosAngel said:
    " ...there's a reason Blizzard bailed it.  I trust Blizzard over Bungie...I mean, what has Bungie done in the past 10 years?  What has Blizzard done?  Reinvented the MMO, RTS, and Hack and Slash.    If Blizzard didn't want Ghost, leave it so. "
    This, Blizzard knows their stuff.

Also, Grave Mind = Hive Mind (Warhammer 40k)
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo

No. Blizzard is far superior to Bungie. I didn't read your post, but I know it's stupid enough even suggesting Bungie. Bungie is trash, Blizzard is God. Make sense?

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Bionicicide
    @KaosAngel said:

" ...there's a reason Blizzard bailed it.  I trust Blizzard over Bungie...I mean, what has Bungie done in the past 10 years?  What has Blizzard done?  Reinvented the MMO, RTS, and Hack and Slash.    If Blizzard didn't want Ghost, leave it so. "

Blizzard haven't proven themselves with a shooter, that's Bungie's forte. I'd like to see it happen.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Sitoxity

I know Blizzard are awesome, but reinvent the hack and slash? How so? All you freaking do in Diablo is click your mouse. A LOT. That's not exactly something spectacular.

Starcraft: Ghost was a nice idea, but I don't think it should be made. It was a dream, but like it has been said, Blizzard scrapped it for a reason.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By august
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    This, Blizzard knows their stuff. Also, Grave Mind = Hive Mind (Warhammer 40k) "
    Yeah, Blizzard is way better at ripping off Games Workshop than Bungie is.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jmrwacko

I was just thinking Blizzard should revive the Starcraft: Ghost project, but I don't think Bungie would be the right developer for that sort of game, unless Keriggan was given energy shields and ran around hitting people with her rifle butt.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @august said:

" @CaptainObvious said:

" @KaosAngel said:
    This, Blizzard knows their stuff. Also, Grave Mind = Hive Mind (Warhammer 40k) "
    Yeah, Blizzard is way better at ripping off Games Workshop than Bungie is. "
    I agree. Especially that Terrans now have their own variant of Assault Marines in SCII.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fosssil

Despite the naysayers in this thread, Bungie is a great developer. If Blizzard resumed development of Starcraft: Ghost and elected to outsource it to another studio, I can think of no better candidate than Bungie.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Driadon
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " @august said:

" @CaptainObvious said:

" @KaosAngel said:
    I agree. Especially that Terrans now have their own variant of Assault Marines in SCII. "
    All we need now is psykers, chainswords and a Man God.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Driadon: @CaptainObvious: What we need are the figures to paint.  >.>  If Blizzard ever released them, I'd buy Reapers in a heartbeat...I already own the board game and expansion but the units are too small to paint.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainObvious
    @KaosAngel: I'd gladly buy one metal Jim Raynor in power armor.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @nanikore said:
    " No. "
    Yes.
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nanikore
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @nanikore said:
    " No. "
    Yes. "
    No.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @nanikore said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    " @nanikore said:
    " No. "
    Yes. "
    No. "
    I was agreeing with you :P
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By big_jon

Nope
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nanikore
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @nanikore said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    " @nanikore said:
    " No. "
    Yes. "
    No. "
    I was agreeing with you :P "
    Oh.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Fosssil said:
    " Despite the naysayers in this thread, Bungie is a great developer. If Blizzard resumed development of Starcraft: Ghost and elected to outsource it to another studio, I can think of no better candidate than Bungie. "
    I'm with you.

(...tho I must say, when I played Batman:AA I started wondering if Rocksteady might be the people for the job)
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DystopiaX

Also, because people seem to forget this, Bungie ISN'T TAKING OVER ANOTHER FRANCHISE. They're doing something new.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lambert

Uhhh... no. Their games are no where near the quality of Blizzard.

If you want a mediocre, over-hyped, and shitty game, then I guess Bungie should do it in that case.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#23  Edited By ArbitraryWater

How about no? I think Bungie is pretty good at making games, despite the nay-sayers, but Starcraft Ghost was canceled for a reason (i.e. It probably sucked.) No need to dig up graves. Next people will be saying that Telltale should finish Warcraft Adventures...

Shinwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shinwei
    @DystopiaX said: 

" Also, because people seem to forget this, Bungie ISN'T TAKING OVER ANOTHER FRANCHISE. They're doing something new. "

Nobody forgot this. It was mentioned it in the original post.     

@ArbitraryWater said:
    " How about no? I think Bungie is pretty good at making games, despite the nay-sayers, but Starcraft Ghost was canceled for a reason (i.e. It probably sucked.) No need to dig up graves. Next people will be saying that Telltale should finish Warcraft Adventures... "
    I'm willing to believe Warcraft Adventures was cancelled because it sucked. However, I don't think that was the case with Ghost. Ghost was cancelled because:  
    1. Blizzard couldn't find the right developer. Nihilistic Software and Swingin' Ape Studios were not up to the task.
    2. The console generation was over and Blizzard felt like it was a better idea to just scrap it instead of re-tool for the new consoles.
    mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By mesklinite

Bungie's a one trick pony.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27  Edited By the8bitNacho

I have to disagree, at least until I see something other than the same rehashed first-person shooter come out of the studio.  This is something that will hopefully happen with this new Bungie-Activision partnership, since Microsoft is in control of the Halo IP.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zombie2011
    @KaosAngel said:
    Not really WoW is something special (i've never played it but it must be from all the sales.), but Starcraft 2 is just a typical RTS, same-thing they released 10 years ago nothing new nothing groundbreaking. Those are the only two games they've put out in the recent past so......
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @nanikore said:
    " No. "
    This.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Metal Arms 2>Ghost.

Lordborg909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lordborg909
    @Sitoxity said:
    " I know Blizzard are awesome, but reinvent the hack and slash? How so? All you freaking do in Diablo is click your mouse. A LOT. That's not exactly something spectacular.   Starcraft: Ghost was a nice idea, but I don't think it should be made. It was a dream, but like it has been said, Blizzard scrapped it for a reason. "
    Surely thats the epitome of hack n slash though? look at titles like Dungeon Siege, totally Diablo copies.... 
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By c1337us

I would say no don't do it. And t probably won't happen so there isn't any issue. However, if it were going to happen I couldn't think of anyone in the Activision stable better equipt to do it out side of Blizzard then Bungie.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nanikore said:
    " No. "
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I could see it happen if Blizzard worked very closely with them and I would really love to see Starcraft on consoles in some form.

Danial79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Danial79

I can't believe they cancelled it considering the amount of work that can be seen in the screenshots. I, like you, imagined how cool it would be to walk around the Starcraft Universe at ground-level, which made it all the more sad when it was cancelled/abandoned/whatever :(

jonesed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jonesed

I imagine Bungie want to have their own IP this time round. That said, if they made Ghost, it would be incredible. 

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By louiedog
    @mesklinite said:

" Bungie's a one trick pony. "

I realize this comment is 4 months old, but since the thread was already revived I have to comment on it. Oni, while flawed and seemingly rushed, was a great concept with good execution. A sequel made with Bungie's current resources could be phenomenal. Something also tells me you're too young to know what Myth is. I'll just leave this here:

Myth: The Fallen Lords, 1997
    • PC Gamer Best Real Time Strategy Game of the Year
    • Computer Gaming World Strategy Game of the Year
    • Computer Games Strategy Plus Game of the Year
    • Macworld Magazine Game of the Year
    • GameSpot have included the Myth series in the "Greatest Games of All Time" hall of fame.

And I'm not a Bungie fanboy. I've never even purchased a Halo game. The Halo titles on my achievements list are from winning a couple of contests and playing my ex-roommate's copies.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @august said:
    " @CaptainObvious said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    yep this. 

@Fosssil
    said:
    " Despite the naysayers in this thread, Bungie is a great developer. If Blizzard resumed development of Starcraft: Ghost and elected to outsource it to another studio, I can think of no better candidate than Bungie. "
    and not this 
    mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mesklinite
    @louiedog said:
    "@mesklinite said:

" Bungie's a one trick pony. "

I realize this comment is 4 months old, but since the thread was already revived I have to comment on it. Oni, while flawed and seemingly rushed, was a great concept with good execution. A sequel made with Bungie's current resources could be phenomenal. Something also tells me you're too young to know what Myth is. I'll just leave this here:

Myth: The Fallen Lords, 1997
    • PC Gamer Best Real Time Strategy Game of the Year
    • Computer Gaming World Strategy Game of the Year
    • Computer Games Strategy Plus Game of the Year
    • Macworld Magazine Game of the Year
    • GameSpot have included the Myth series in the "Greatest Games of All Time" hall of fame.
     And I'm not a Bungie fanboy. I've never even purchased a Halo game. The Halo titles on my achievements list are from winning a couple of contests and playing my ex-roommate's copies. "

LOL talk about a blast from the past!  
    Sure in their past they did other stuff, but in the last 10 years they've made Halo stuff, so it will be interesting what comes out. Most of the staff that did those games are probably not around anymore. But time will tell!  

PS: I played myth in my early teen years :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.