Hideo Kojima to Showcase Fox Engine on August 30

• 97 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3914 posts) -
We've seen glimpses of the Fox Engine in the past, but it's never been clear what it's for.

A betting man would have good reason to believe Hideo Kojima is making yet another Metal Gear game, and maybe we’ll know for sure by the end of next month.

As part of a retrospective feature on the 25th anniversary of Metal Gear on the PlayStation Blog, Kojima teased his next project, which will be based on a built-from-the-ground-up Fox Engine.

Kojima said he would be ready to show what Fox Engine is capable of in Japan on August 30.

A snippet from the end of the retrospective:

“The Fox Engine is nearly finished, but the only way to be sure it works is to create a game at the same time and improve the engine with our tools as we go along. Originally we were going to do this for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, but a lot happened along the way and instead it is being made with the engine they have at Platinum Games.

Production studios in Japan are nearly extinct, a fact that we have recognized for nearly 10 years, and although the Fox Engine is not finished we are ready to show what it can do... on August 30th in Japan to be more specific.”

Fox Engine is powering Kojima’s next game, which we only know as Project Ogre, at the moment.

Seems curious the tease would come as part of a Metal Gear history lesson, though, right?

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3914 posts) -
We've seen glimpses of the Fox Engine in the past, but it's never been clear what it's for.

A betting man would have good reason to believe Hideo Kojima is making yet another Metal Gear game, and maybe we’ll know for sure by the end of next month.

As part of a retrospective feature on the 25th anniversary of Metal Gear on the PlayStation Blog, Kojima teased his next project, which will be based on a built-from-the-ground-up Fox Engine.

Kojima said he would be ready to show what Fox Engine is capable of in Japan on August 30.

A snippet from the end of the retrospective:

“The Fox Engine is nearly finished, but the only way to be sure it works is to create a game at the same time and improve the engine with our tools as we go along. Originally we were going to do this for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, but a lot happened along the way and instead it is being made with the engine they have at Platinum Games.

Production studios in Japan are nearly extinct, a fact that we have recognized for nearly 10 years, and although the Fox Engine is not finished we are ready to show what it can do... on August 30th in Japan to be more specific.”

Fox Engine is powering Kojima’s next game, which we only know as Project Ogre, at the moment.

Seems curious the tease would come as part of a Metal Gear history lesson, though, right?

Staff
#2 Edited by Morningstar (2148 posts) -

Awesome, a new metal gear is always a highlight.

#3 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

I will always be a sucker for a Metal Gear game... Except for Rising... Actually, I'll take that back

#4 Posted by leejunfan83 (955 posts) -

Games!!

#5 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

KOJIMA!!!!

#6 Posted by AuthenticM (3706 posts) -

Metal Gear !?

#7 Posted by outerabiz (660 posts) -

"it can't be! Metal Gear!"

#8 Posted by Theresonlyone (190 posts) -

I'm going to be optimistic and hope it's for the new Zone of the Enders project he announced recently.

#9 Posted by Lava (665 posts) -

Old old Snake?

#10 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

It's not over yet, Snake!

#11 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

If only it was a Snatcher sequel.

#12 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

Man. I wish he was able to leave the Metal Gear series behind and do something else. Though maybe he's worried that if he doesn't, someone will fuck with his baby.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

A birthday present for me? Huzzah!

#14 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Hopefully it is something not related to a previously existing series. What else needs to be said in the Metal Gear story?

#15 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Can't imagine how that game is gonna look MGS4 still looks amazing and so far I haven't seen any game do the cutscene to gameplay transition MGS4 did so well other than maybe Uncharted , and there's plenty of stories to be told in a post Solid Snake world .

#16 Posted by Nightriff (4971 posts) -

MGS5!!!!!!!

#17 Posted by Ett (189 posts) -

!

#18 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Hopefully it is something not related to a previously existing series. What else needs to be said in the Metal Gear story?

Another Big Boss game? Gray Fox game? They could literally do a dozen new and interesting MGS game because the timeline is the series is so broad they could easily do interesting prequels/sequels, stand alone missions etc.

#19 Posted by VoshiNova (1666 posts) -

I'm pumped for this!!!

#20 Posted by metalsnakezero (2290 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

Can't imagine how that game is gonna look MGS4 still looks amazing and so far I haven't seen any game do the cutscene to gameplay transition MGS4 did so well other than maybe Uncharted , and there's plenty of stories to be told in a post Solid Snake world .

Differences here is that this engine may not take too much space on the disk. That was one of the problems they had with the last game was it filling up the whole 50GB.

#21 Posted by dropabombonit (1489 posts) -

Hope it's MGS5 and set in 70s

#22 Posted by blacklab (1537 posts) -

Sweet, I'll take it.

#23 Posted by Vextroid (1380 posts) -

As much as I love Metal Gear. I would love too see a new I.P from Kojima, see what other crazy shit he can come up with!

#24 Posted by Funky_Pasta_Tommy (100 posts) -

<3 MGS, but a new MGS game needs a fresh new cast!

#25 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

If Snake isn't dead in this I'll take a shit in my PS3 and put a video of it on YouTube. IN my PS3.

#26 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

Did Mr. Kojima just tease a teaser?

#27 Posted by MeatSim (10814 posts) -

I hope it's something other then another Metal Gear.

#28 Posted by ChosenOne (200 posts) -

@MeatSim said:

I hope it's something other then another Metal Gear.

A thousand times this.

#29 Posted by NTM (7319 posts) -

Hopefully, I'd love to see that. The new engine showing a Metal Gear Solid game.

#30 Posted by Jayzilla (2558 posts) -
Is this Micheal Biehn? It looks a ton like him from Terminator.
#31 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1355 posts) -

METAL GEAR YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

#32 Posted by BRNK (307 posts) -

Oh good. A new engine to make shitty CG movies in.

#33 Posted by pawsoffury (119 posts) -

A snatcher/policenauts sequel? Awesome, now get on with it..

#34 Posted by synesthesik (33 posts) -

Which would be better? MGS or Zone of the Enders? I'd be happy with either one.

#35 Posted by Dixego (384 posts) -

@dropabombonit said:

Hope it's MGS5 and set in 70s

This please.

#36 Posted by weegieanawrench (1937 posts) -

A Hind D?!

#37 Posted by Lazyaza (2175 posts) -

@Jayzilla: Yes it was a completely intentional ripoff because at the time Kojima really liked both the movie the character and the original art. Look up the all your history video series on youtube, they did a pretty awesome retrospective on MGS not long ago.

#38 Posted by Gruff182 (854 posts) -

I really hope its a new MGS, with Snake or Old Snake or Old Old Snake.

Basically, fuck off Raiden. Or any new protagonist.

#39 Posted by radion_null (160 posts) -

Z.O.E. sequal. Please?

#40 Posted by CptnOblivious (23 posts) -

Hideo Kojima and Fox Engine.... Definitely a Metal Gear game.

#41 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

Looks really awesome so far.

#42 Posted by Tesla (1916 posts) -

All hail Kojima.

#43 Posted by Fattony12000 (7250 posts) -

It's a dog-walking and hat-wearing simulator, set in the jungle.

#44 Posted by Brodehouse (9760 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan

Money always needs saying.
#45 Posted by Humanity (9005 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@ImmortalSaiyan

Some people just like the universe. I wouldn't mind another Metal Gear even if you don't play Snake but you get Otacon and and Col. Campbell, Naomi etc. Thats the whole joy of becoming invested in a series.

#46 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3174 posts) -

Awesome! Can't wait. Good time for a Metal Gear remake -- that game's in a jungle, right?

#47 Posted by probablytuna (3597 posts) -

I believe in Kojima.

#48 Posted by Brodehouse (9760 posts) -
@Humanity

@Brodehouse said:

@ImmortalSaiyan

Some people just like the universe. I wouldn't mind another Metal Gear even if you don't play Snake but you get Otacon and and Col. Campbell, Naomi etc. Thats the whole joy of becoming invested in a series.

I don't think I like Metal Gear so much as I like the bugfuck manner in which Kojima does anything. But I realize that without the words Metal Gear on the box I would probably never get another game from him.

Considering it's basically the Cyberpunk Rennaissance now, it seems like the perfect time for Snatcher. There's two tropes that are huge in development now; Cyberpunk and Open World Zombie Survival. There are like a half dozen of both in development or recently released.
#49 Posted by BasketSnake (1182 posts) -

I don't care what anybody says, Peace Walker is my MGS5. The entire series will from now on be one big time paradox for me.

#50 Posted by Sunjammer (910 posts) -

MATAL GARE

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.