Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Indigo Prophecy

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 16, 2005

Indigo Prophecy is a mystery-driven action/adventure game that harkens back to the point-and-click era. The game incorporates rhythm mini-games at key points as you try to figure out why you murdered a stranger in a local diner.

Is it still worth getting Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy?

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dudacles
    dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dudacles

Fahrenheit is quite an old game, but after seeing the QL, I'm kinda interested in it. Does it still hold up today, or has it aged too badly?

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Cerza

Yes I certainly think it is.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SammydesinasNL

You enjoying the quicklook should be a good enough reason. The 'aging' was visible in it.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By Soap

Yeah, the gameplay hasn't really aged because well... to be frank, there isn't really any. It's more of an experience. 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By thatfrood

In my opinion, it isn't worth getting because of the really dumb turn the plot takes halfway through and the forced romantic interest it gets into. It goes reeeeeally off message and lost most of its appeal at that point.
    If it's gonna be an interactive movie, then at least have the movie be better than a b-movie.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZmillA

yep

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EVO

I bought it just today, so yeah, I definitely think it's worth getting.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @dudacles: 
    I played it a bunch yesterday, I got to the like the third last level and gave up. The gameplay is absolutely terrible for the most part. The story is alright. But the whole game pretty much consisted of 3 type of QTEs. Mash L and R, move the analog sticks like a rhythm game, and balance with the L and R. After a scene near the end where It was like 5 minutes of QTEs and when you lose you have to start all over again my fingers just got too tired and I gave up. I just watched the ending on Youtube instead (which sucked by the way). I don't think Indigo Prophecy was worth getting ever. It just kinda sucks.  

@ThatFrood said:
    " In my opinion, it isn't worth getting because of the really dumb turn the plot takes halfway through and the forced romantic interest it gets into. It goes reeeeeally off message and lost most of its appeal at that point. If it's gonna be an interactive movie, then at least have the movie be better than a b-movie. "
    I totally agree, the Matrix fight near the end was so fucking dumb and hilarious.
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By fwylo

If it was regarded as a good game at one time and you think you're interested in playing it then I would say its definitely worth playing.  I recently started playing through KOTOR because I've heard its an amazing game.  Just because they are old now doesn't mean its not worth playing, just have to look past some of the faults because developers didn't know what they know now about games.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeust

The concept of the game is interesting enough, but the gameplay is for most part horrible, so most people will just get bored after a while.  And there are some details misconceived.

So no.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

Just make sure you stop playing halfway through...

When the game becomes Dragonball or Matrix, it ruins everything they build up in the first half. And the ending is just a big mess.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mmmslash

I absolutely loved the game, when I played it at release.

The recent QuickLook just kind of made me want to play ti again, in anticipation of Heavy Rain.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By izzygraze

The supernatural twist was not so great but I still say it was worth while. Indigo has decisions with lasting consequences and the quick time events can actually be pretty intense. Running down a hallway with things coming at you left and right, just barely getting the button presses in time, It actually feels quite rewarding . The game is just different. If the quick look got you interested then I'd definitely go for it.

u03mja3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By u03mja3
    @CptBedlam said:

" Just make sure you stop playing halfway through... "

Ha ha I know what you mean! 
    Yeah the story goes very mental after a while and the controls sucks pretty hard but I think this game is one that everyone should play once. Definitely not the best game ever but you should play it. Its in the same boat as Killer 7, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Braid and Physconauts. You cant ever ask someone if one of these games are 'good or bad' as they are too unique to be easily described. Consiering  Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is available for just 1200 points on 360 I would say hella play it.
    ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By ToxicFruit
    @dudacles said:
    " Fahrenheit is quite an old game, but after seeing the QL, I'm kinda interested in it. Does it still hold up today, or has it aged too badly? "
    Well I would say it is worth it! I got very interested in the game after the quicklook as well and I bought It on steam
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Manatassi

You can download it or buy it so cheap its worth getting even as a curiosity at this point.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thatfrood
    @The_Philosopher: Oh God, I want to cry. That fight scene...
    auauuauguguahaugauahhhh...
    Khantael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Khantael

If you like the look of it then go for it. Other people's experiences of games aren't your experiences, so if you think you'd like it - why not? Doesn't matter if it's older. You might notice one or two things but if you like the game then you'll forgive that anyway. 

Just make sure you're up for some multi-tasking in places (I could never do any parts that involved having to control breathing while doing some other task. It was hard enough to focus on the one!).

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By r0k1ll

Yeah. It's cheap now. Just get through 2/3 of the game, leave, and don't finish it.  You will be dissappointed.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Daroki

Indigo Prophecy is probably good if you're interested in Heavy Rain or had your interest piqued by the quick look.  It at least gives you a point of reference as to what Quantic Dream is trying to accomplish (and as everyone else mentions how it can go so terribly wrong).  When you hear David Cage talk about learning his lessons from Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit you need to hit the second part of the game to understand what lessons he's talking about because that game goes completely off it's rails.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dudacles

Not everyone agrees, but I'd say that the consensus is yes? I really liked the story stuff I saw in the QL, and to hear that it goes mental after a while is kinda disappointing, but I feel that I should play this game. So I'll pick it up. Thanks for the help guys.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Everyone who has never played this game but watched the quick look:

You watched the best part of the game.  It gets steadily worse from there.  The quick time events near the end of the game are some of the worst gameplay I have ever played (that fight scene on the top of the building was literally a huge physical test and one of the most terrible moments I've ever played through in gaming, I mean HOW THE FUCK DID THIS SEEM LIKE A GOOD IDEA AND MAKE IT IN THE GAME!?!) and the story gets much more outlandish and nonsensical from there, and not in any sort of good way.  Don't think it's just going to be like what you watched, you will be disappointed.  Enjoy the ideas in the quicklook and wait for Heavy Rain instead, it looks like Quantic Dream figured out everything they did wrong. 

Indigo Prophesy is an intersting game, but really isn't a good one.

EDIT:  I hadn't looked at the poll numbers.  I really can't believe people who voted yes played through the game.  It's really not very good.

Bangarang182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bangarang182

I know a lot of people are saying yes, but I personally though this game was awful.  I bought it last year because I read it was pretty compelling.  I was sorely dissapointed. 

If you really love quick time events then you might really love this game, because the entire game is just a series of quicktime events (seriously everything!) It drove me a little insane after a while becuase the story starts off really well, but the gameplay distracts you from it by having to start pushing buttons in the correct order when you'd rather just watch the story.   

It has an interesting way of telling the story from multiple viewpoints with boxes showing the actions of several characters at once, much like an episode of "24". 

However, I am going to warn you right now that while the story starts of well, it goes whacko at the end and makes absolutely no sense.  And the only reason to buy this game is for the story...there's nothing really more compelling about it.  I am going to say the beginning is like the original indiana jones trilogy.  It's fun, interesting, and you want more.  But once you get to the second half you get the crystal skull (you know what I mean!)
    mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrjared

Yes, it's absolutely worth it. While it's true that it takes a wrong turn about halfway through (no spoilers but believe the hype: its dumb), you should be able to find it for dirt cheap and its one of those games that everyone should experience at least once for it being such a bold piece of design.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ulong

Don't do it.
    If you play indigo prophecy (which becomes worse and worse the longer you play it), you will become less excited for Heavy Rain, which looks awesome.

Also, I totally agree with the guy above. You allready watched the best part of the game, literally, that is the most fun/exciting/interesting the game will be for the entirety of the time you play it, and even that won't be that exciting because you've seen it before.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Moeez

It's a pretty unique game, so you should at least try it out just to understand what Heavy Rain might be like. 

I just love how mundane the game tries to be. I know that's like saying games shouldn't be about blockbuster explosions, but with the Psychology meter, it's always interesting. Tyler has a cup of coffee, and he is +5 less anxious. 

No Caption Provided
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Manatassi said:
    " You can download it or buy it so cheap its worth getting even as a curiosity at this point. "
    I agree with this post.
    Noremakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Noremakk

If you enjoyed watching the Quick Look, then you'll enjoy playing the game.

ianmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ianmac

I am playing through it for the second time, i played it when it first came out  about 4 years ago. 
    There are some really frustrating moments in the game. but saying that I have a lot of good memories  
    about my first play through so I think its worth it. 

CaptainMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CaptainMax

@ianmac:

Here is a hint to get past the frustrating parts. Just button mash! if you are on easy or medium difficulty it does not penalize you for hitting the wrong keys, im not sure about hard. So you can mindlessly mash your way through some of the longer tougher quick time events.
    Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I bought it on Steam and finished it since the QL. Except for the tank movement controls, I really enjoyed it. It is definitely a very unique game. I was surprised that QTE stuff isn't actually the majority of the game. The walking around and interacting with the environment gameplay plays a bigger role. I only failed one of the QTEs so I didn't think they were that bad. The worst parts are probably the flashbacks and one really big plot hole that's bothering me. I recommend it if you have money to spare.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By AndrewB

I just noticed it's on sale on Steam right now for $3.39, so if you're interested in it in the slightest, you probably wouldn't be too let down even if you don't like the game, after all.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By trophyhunter

why would it not be

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60

Yes it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.