Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 26, 2009

inFamous is a third-person open-world action game in which players take control of Cole, an urban explorer / bike messenger changed by a mysterious blast that grants him electricity-based superpowers.

InFamous Dated, Demo Coming

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Pre-orders only.
    Pre-orders only.
    Sony posted a quick update on inFamous to its official blog today, confirming a North American release date of May 26. The game had previously been announced as a June release.

Additionally, a demo will be made available. If you're some regular dude off the street, you'll be able to get that demo on May 21. But if you pre-order from a participating retailer, you'll get demo access on May 7. I would just like to say again that trying to make demos a commodity is still totally annoying. OK, with that out of the way...

Other pre-order bonuses include a costume for PlayStation Home and an exclusive power for your character called "Gigawatt Blades." Here's the official description for that:
    The Gigawatt Blades supercharges Cole’s arm into an instrument of destruction unmatched by any other melee weapon in game. Although very powerful, you’ll still have to use this weapon wisely, as it takes a considerable drain on your powers.
    Sounds like this won't be the sort of addition that breaks the game balance, but this whole notion of people being forced to choose from a list of available pre-order items doesn't feel right. I mean, obviously, the Gigawatt Blades bonus is the one you want since it actually figures into the game you're pre-ordering. But what if you're some kind of PlayStation Home fanatic with an obsession for new outfits? Why should you be torn in two like this? Why should I have to break my loyalty to one retailer for another just to get one trinket over the other? Either way, we can probably all agree that it's not a very customer-focused plan.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff
    Pre-orders only.
    Pre-orders only.
    Sony posted a quick update on inFamous to its official blog today, confirming a North American release date of May 26. The game had previously been announced as a June release.

Additionally, a demo will be made available. If you're some regular dude off the street, you'll be able to get that demo on May 21. But if you pre-order from a participating retailer, you'll get demo access on May 7. I would just like to say again that trying to make demos a commodity is still totally annoying. OK, with that out of the way...

Other pre-order bonuses include a costume for PlayStation Home and an exclusive power for your character called "Gigawatt Blades." Here's the official description for that:
    The Gigawatt Blades supercharges Cole’s arm into an instrument of destruction unmatched by any other melee weapon in game. Although very powerful, you’ll still have to use this weapon wisely, as it takes a considerable drain on your powers.
    Sounds like this won't be the sort of addition that breaks the game balance, but this whole notion of people being forced to choose from a list of available pre-order items doesn't feel right. I mean, obviously, the Gigawatt Blades bonus is the one you want since it actually figures into the game you're pre-ordering. But what if you're some kind of PlayStation Home fanatic with an obsession for new outfits? Why should you be torn in two like this? Why should I have to break my loyalty to one retailer for another just to get one trinket over the other? Either way, we can probably all agree that it's not a very customer-focused plan.
    slint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By slint

Yes!  Can't wait.  Seems they were waiting to hear Prototype's release before finally nailing down their own. ;)

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

wow, May 26 is pretty soon. AWESOME!!!! cant wait.

edit: Jeff loves to bitch doesn't he??? i mean, if you don't like the pre-ordering bullshit, then don't pre-order. you can walk into a Walmart or Best Buy on release day and they'll have tons of copies. no need to bitch over nothing. Jeff, i love you man, but sometimes you get on my nerves dog.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By iamjohn

I'm getting sick and fucking tired of this bullshit surrounding pre-ordering stuff.  It was bad enough that Bad Company makes it so there's a gun you will never have unless you pre-ordered.  What the hell is with Sony doing this as of late?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By BiggerBomb

I still don't understand why so many people pre-order. I know the situation might be different in some other areas, but I have never walked into a retailer and found out the item was sold out due to popular demand; even for mega releases like Halo 3. I simply make my way to the game aisles and pick up a copy, done deal. I don't live in some backwater area, either. I live on one of the most populated areas of Long Island, New York. The mall/Best Buy I go to is used by three different areas. They just always have "stuff" in stock.

/shrug

slint said:

"Prototype"

i wnt taht gam nao
    shayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By shayo

I'm not so glad to hear about the demo part with the pre-order and all. A cheap marketing trick.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb
    iAmJohn said:
    "I'm getting sick and fucking tired of this bullshit surrounding pre-ordering stuff.  It was bad enough that Bad Company makes it so there's a gun you will never have unless you pre-ordered.  What the hell is with Sony doing this as of late?"

Except those guns were pretty weak. The guns you got for actually playing the game kick far more ass than the pre-order weapons.
    Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Carlos1408

This game sounds interesting, I'll probably download the demo, not gonna pre-order it
    Hmmm... why do they have to do this pre-order stuff, it's really annoying! >:(
    Well atleast I know I won't fall for it...lol

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By subject2change

Glad to hear it'll be out soon, looks great. Annoying thing is pre-orders getting to try it in advance, just release it earlier for fucks sake.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By chililili

Pre-ordering is useless, games never ever run out and even Collector's editions end up discounted on Amazon.

waza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By waza

soooo

do i rape, bake, kill, chop and eat the poor little baby
    or
    do i save it from evil and bring it back to his parents

.... WHAT OBLIVIOUS CHOICE WILL I MAKE ?! all that while talking to myself, just to make sure the player it absolutely not emerged in the game's experience

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Subject2Change said:
    "Glad to hear it'll be out soon, looks great. Annoying thing is pre-orders getting to try it in advance, just release it earlier for fucks sake."

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Steve_C

That power will probably just appear as DLC somewhere down the line. Still sucks though.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iamjohn
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Except those guns were pretty weak. The guns you got for actually playing the game kick far more ass than the pre-order weapons."
    So I've heard, but it's the principle of the thing, man! >:(
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sixpin

Some of you seem to be missing the point that Jeff was making. It isn't pro or con pre-ordering. It is the BS tactics that publishers take with retailers in trying to pull us to purchase from a specific store. Do you want bonus item A or bonus item B? The truth is that most people want both. It is a legitimate gripe. Splitting bonus content amongst retailers rubs my OCD-nature the wrong way.

For those of you arguing the virtues and pitfalls of pre-ordering; I don't get it. Pre-ordering guarantees you a copy. It doesn't cost any extra. And sometimes stores do run out of copies. Halo 3 was available to everyone reguardless, but where I live stores don't usually stock that many copies of Persona 4 or whatever random obscure JRPG of the month might be.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn
    sixpin said:
    "And sometimes stores do run out of copies. Halo 3 was available to everyone reguardless, but where I live stores don't usually stock that many copies of Persona 4 or whatever random obscure JRPG of the month might be."
    This isn't a niche PS2 JRPG we're talking about, though.  This is Sony's tentpole blockbuster summer game.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By get2sammyb

They totally moved that because of Prototype didn't they?

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sixpin

IAmJohn, I wasn't talking about this game specifically, simply the pre-order issue in general. I just don't see the harm in pre-ordering.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By JoelTGM

assholes

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ToxicFruit

im not that sure of this game

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FlipperDesert
    LiveOrDie1212 said:
    "wow, May 26 is pretty soon. AWESOME!!!! cant wait.edit: Jeff loves to bitch doesn't he??? i mean, if you don't like the pre-ordering bullshit, then don't pre-order. you can walk into a Walmart or Best Buy on release day and they'll have tons of copies. no need to bitch over nothing. Jeff, i love you man, but sometimes you get on my nerves dog."
    You seem to be missing the point. Demos are supposed to be solely a "Try before you buy" product people can get, play a level of the game with and then decide if they like it or not. He's pointing out that they shouldn't use it as a bargaining chip for pre-orders, they should be using it to promote the game to the average consumer.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb
    FlipperDesert said:
    "LiveOrDie1212 said:
    "wow, May 26 is pretty soon. AWESOME!!!! cant wait.edit: Jeff loves to bitch doesn't he??? i mean, if you don't like the pre-ordering bullshit, then don't pre-order. you can walk into a Walmart or Best Buy on release day and they'll have tons of copies. no need to bitch over nothing. Jeff, i love you man, but sometimes you get on my nerves dog."
    You seem to be missing the point. Demos are supposed to be solely a "Try before you buy" product people can get, play a level of the game with and then decide if they like it or not. He's pointing out that they shouldn't use it as a bargaining chip for pre-orders, they should be using it to promote the game to the average consumer."
    While I whole-heartedly agree -- the demo is coming out before the games release so there is no issue.

It's just marketing -- the Gamestop preordering people feel special, get the demo, say nice things about it because they feel so special, results in more people feeling jealous and preordering, results in more preorders, means more sales, means more hype until it reaches a point when -- BAM! now everyone can get a demo. Then BAM! the game is out.

I'm not saying I agree, just saying that's the mindset.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Scooper

I'm really not at all interested in this game. It looks a lot like Crackdown but less fun and more janky.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Giantsquirrel

They're totally not jockeying for position with Prototype.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince

Looking forward to it.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tomance

Getting a demo early for preordering is getting annoying.  Half the time you can just get it at the European store the normal date anyway.

V_Ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By V_Ben

i cannot wait for this game. it looks super fun to play :P also, the game comes out a week before the release date, so skeptics will have plenty of time to make up their damn minds, wont they?

InFamous91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By InFamous91

finally i can play this game.....I'm been waiting far too long

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Media_Master

maybe buy it, not pre-order

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
    sixpin said:
    "Some of you seem to be missing the point that Jeff was making. It isn't pro or con pre-ordering. It is the BS tactics that publishers take with retailers in trying to pull us to purchase from a specific store."

It wasn't that we (most of us) were missing the point; there are simply many more issues with pre-ordering aside from the one Jeff mentions.
    Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

May sounds great. ;)
    ReTarDedFisHy has been lookin' forward to this game since it's announcement and it's almost here.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Jackel2072

this pre-order business starting to really piss me off! It seems Sony has been doing a lot of stupid things with demo's this year. Quor, killzone and now this. well guess what? no worry, im still just renting the game from gamefly. thats the way i fight the machine babay. 

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33  Edited By sjschmidt93

Owned Prototype, owned.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By RHCPfan24

Wow, this is coming out sooner than I thought. Sweet. I may actually preorder this one and get the *cough* demo.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By dsplayer1010

Somebody seriously needs to explain to Sony what a demo is supposed to do.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sixpin

BiggerBomb, that's why I said "some" people didn't get the point. I wasn't lumping everyone into that category. Honestly, if you have issues with pre-ordering then by all means don't do it. I'm not trying to troll you, I just have gotten far too many benefits from supporting my local shop to say that pre-ordering is bad. I've heard the horror stories of people not getting what they pre-ordered, but that is just a problem with that particular store - a store that doesn't deserve continued support.

KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By KinjiroSSD

Clearly the game has been fundamentally done for awhile and were waiting for prototype to announce a release date. I'm torn on the pre-order bonuses. Clearly the blades are the best choice but I detest gamestop and loathe the fact they are withholding actual gameplay content from those who don't preorder.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By BoG

I am so stoked. I didn't think this game would come out until later in the summer, but now I'll get to play it!

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#39  Edited By yevinorion

It does upset me that I can't get all of these bonuses for pre-ordering from any of the retailers offering it, but what gets me the most is that one of the pre-orders is actually something useful in game. Now, provided it's a timed exclusive or something of that nature that will be released as a free DLC in another month or so after release then it's not as bad, still I hate that I have to go with my least favourite retailer just to get the pre-order bonus I want. If you're going to split the bonuses between different retailers, why not make them all things that don't affect the game itself or alternatively all things that do affect the game itself but equally (ie the sprint graphical upgrade given for preordering City of Heroes back at its launch)? Feels a bit lopsided to me. Especially if they end up doing the whole LBP Kratos thing and then charge you later for the added content, as basically you're saying that my preorder at GameStop is worth more than my preorder at any other retailer.

Meh...being the consumer whore I am and how badass those gigawatt blades look I'm probably going to try to see if I can get a GameStop preorder. I probably wouldn't even be bitching so much right now if it wasn't that it's just such a pain in the ass living in the Bahamas and trying to buy videogames. Lets just hope it's one of those single codes that will get spread all over the internet and work for everybody. :)

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Branthog

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pibo47

Mmmmmmm...demo...yum...this will tide me over until crackdown 2...this game looks so cool...but it just makes me want more crackdown lol.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By BigBoss1911
    Pibo47 said:
    "Mmmmmmm...demo...yum...this will tide me over until crackdown 2...this game looks so cool...but it just makes me want more crackdown lol."

Crackdown sucked,and why did you bring this thread back after 3 weeks?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.