Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Knack

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

An action-platformer from Mark Cerny and SCE Japan Studio for PlayStation 4. Knack was the first game ever shown on PS4.

The dream is alive! Knack 2 announced! How do you want them to improve perfection?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sony announced Knack 2 at the Playstation Experience!

I don't know why they're making this game; I actually bought Knack at launch but it is still in shrinkwrap because all I have heard about it has been negativity and sarcasm.

For people who actually played Knack...what do you want to see them do to make a game that you would actually be interested in? Is there anything they could do specifically other than "just make it better" that would make you interested in Knack 2?

This seems like a weird move. If they want a mascot platformer type game for PS4 why not just announce Ratchet & Clank 2? The first game was extremely well received. Sony has plenty of properties in this vein that they could revive (Sly Cooper 5 anyone? New Jak & Daxter in the style of the first game?) Why Knack?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

FUCK YES!

I legitimately enjoyed Knack, but thought it focused way too much on brawling instead of playforming. I liked the story and the world and the production values. Tighten up the controls and make the level design a bit more interesting, and I'll surely enjoy this one, too.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@csl316:

I've never disagreed with you more Coldstone. Other than with Witcher 3. You're wrong there too.

For me to like this game they'll need to get rid of all the talky bits, take out the fighting, make the art design interesting, make actual level design, and fix the framerate.

So make a different game basically.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, I do kind of wonder whether Sony misinterpreted joking support for Knack as real enthusiasm for the game. Regardless, should be interesting to see how it turns out. It looks like it will be another decent platformer for younger PS fans.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK THAT WINDJAMMERS!

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I got a good laugh out of that, they actually made a sequel to a game nobody liked.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe the sales for the first one weren't so bad? Your title made me chuckle by the way so thanks.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Welp, I should probably play the first game then.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KNACK 2 BABY STAR OF THE SHOW!

Love it how everyone's into Knack just for shits and giggles.

Talking seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony tries to turn Knack into some kind of unofficial PS4 mascot, like they kinda did with Little Big Planet on PS3

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blue knack saves the game

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexgbro: Isn't that just Sonic the Werehog?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care if it plays better than any 3D platformer before or after it's release, the art style is still incredibly bland. I've seen cheap morning cartoons with more appealing visuals.

The only thing that could've justified this game's existence would've been GB Crew's live reaction to the reveal.

tiffanytryhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

First thing, and this is important... make it good this time.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game earned its sequel.

Loading Video...
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

That this was the one sequel announced after that litany of remakes, rereleases, and DLC was the best. The best!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By glots
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

the other day on Mark Cerny's PS account it said he had played Knack "for the first time". Seemed strange at the time... but makes more sense now...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Why not, but also.. why?

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the worst thing that's ever happened? Some experts are saying yes.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Why not?

Presumably this is going to cost at least $10 million. That money could be spent developing something people want to play. Or hell, they could spend it bringing a bunch more PS2 classics to PS4.

I guess they think Knack has enough name recognition that this is worth it (or maybe they're doing it to keep Cerney happy, since he built the machine that turned their company around) but this is sequelitis writ incredibly large.

Not every game needs a sequel and some ideas just don't pan out. Knack's only value was as a tech demo, and this far into the PS4's life it doesn't need another tech demo (it would have made MORE sense to launch Knack 2 alongside the PS4 Pro.) Given that we are seeing fewer and fewer "full-size" games these days it's just kind of a shame that Knack 2 is going to be one of them, over something someone could actually get excited over.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Belegorm

Maybe they've got the knack of it this time.

...I'll see myself to the door now.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My son, when he was 4, loved Knack and played it to completion. He still plays through it every year.

He asked me the other day if there would be a sequel and I said I didn't think so. He is really excited about Knack 2 now.

I played through Knack too, and I did enjoy it. It may not be the best game on the PS4, but it doesn't deserve the notoriety it has been given.

There's not much middle ground between very childish games for youngsters and games for us oldies. Knack at least gives the older children something to play.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe it's been three years already.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bigsocrates: which is why I also wrote "..but why?"

I agree with everything you wrote in that the money spent on developing this game, that barely has any brand recognition much less favorable reviews, could be put to better use on something else. I'm sure those of us who have favorite franchises that simply went away because of financial reasons (Dead Space for me personally) are looking at this and just feeling like "man.. put that money to better use"

I mean I'm sure there are people who are like "huh well sure I'd play another one of those why not" but is there really anyone clamoring for more Knack?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bigsocrates

My son, when he was 4, loved Knack and played it to completion.

Knack at least gives the older children something to play.

Not sure this lines up...

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with games for 'older children' (which I will interpret as 8-12) but as I said up-thread Sony has a lot of dormant franchises perfect for that age. They're doing a remaster of the Crash trilogy, they could do a new Crash game. They could hook up with NAMCO and put out a new Klonoa, people would be psyched about that. It's cool that your son is like the one person Knack 2 is for, and I don't begrudge him that at all (I wasn't exactly discerning as a 4-year-old either) but this decision combines low risk taking (sequel) with relatively low up-side (bland character, bland setting.)

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberbloke said:

My son, when he was 4, loved Knack and played it to completion.

Knack at least gives the older children something to play.

Not sure this lines up...

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with games for 'older children' (which I will interpret as 8-12) but as I said up-thread Sony has a lot of dormant franchises perfect for that age. They're doing a remaster of the Crash trilogy, they could do a new Crash game. They could hook up with NAMCO and put out a new Klonoa, people would be psyched about that. It's cool that your son is like the one person Knack 2 is for, and I don't begrudge him that at all (I wasn't exactly discerning as a 4-year-old either) but this decision combines low risk taking (sequel) with relatively low up-side (bland character, bland setting.)

I think you're kidding yourself if you think there aren't a lot of people that actually like Knack.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Knack 2: Knack from the dead

This was one of the highlights of the keynote, for all the wrong reasons. The stream was fun to watch with chat.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By andrew2696

@glots: Why were things so heavy in the past? Was there something wrong with the earth's gravitational pull?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@meptron said:

the other day on Mark Cerny's PS account it said he had played Knack "for the first time". Seemed strange at the time... but makes more sense now...

If you dink around in the What's New stuff enough, you'll notice that for whatever reason the system doesn't remember that you previously played a game you'd removed from your hard drive, and sends out a "played for the first time" notice for games you'd been playing for months and then removed for space until you had an itch to play it again. Happens with me a lot with sports games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Finally, the monkey's paw wish of more first-party PS4 games has been granted!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By iamjohn

Yo I'm gonna say it: Knack is one of the worst games I have ever played. Why the fuck would they do this? Jesus Christ, Sony.

ETA: Watched the end credits for the first time just now and okay those are pretty great.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knack... Yeah. Hey! The Last of Us: Part II!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: Why were things so heavy in the past? Was there something wrong with the earth's gravitational pull?

There certainly was and it's very noticeable in the trailers/soundtracks for Batman: Arkham City, Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Driver San Fransisco, FIFA 13, NHL 13, Poker Night 2, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Sleeping Dogs.

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberbloke: I also begrudgingly like Knack and I really couldn't tell you why. Nothing about it really works but I think it's because I saw promise in it.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Onemanarmyy

The good news is that they got a lot of criticism with the first one, so they know how to improve the game. On it's own, a platformer with cartoony colourful graphics and a character that can change in size & elements is an okay idea. Ofcourse, it helps that the 3d platforming genre is pretty much dead right now. They only have to compete with Yooka Laylee. I'll keep an open mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prince, Bowie, Trump, and now this.

2016, have you not caused enough anguish for one year?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nothing. That game was the blandest, most boring game I've played this gen. I was one of the people saying reviewers were probably exaggerating with how bad they thought KNACK was because I liked the demo. Then I bought it on sale for $10 and absolutely hated it. The only thing I liked about the game was when materials flew to KNACK and made him bigger. It looked cool. The rest of that game was just a snooze fest and I hated the combat. I started yelling no when I saw that it was Knack 2. Literally the worst use of money and resources. To think they'd put Shu through the torment of announcing this garbage. Poor Shu. Now where's my SLY 5?!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KNACK SOULS

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I don't know anyone who had a knack for Knack.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In theory you can make a better Knack. In theory communism works...

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KNACK SOULS

There it is! One of my all-time favorite running jokes on this site.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So knack vr?

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kid_gloves

Knack is a mediocre game, it isn't terrible its just fine.

It is a game for kids or adults playing with their kids, and for that it is above average. No it isn't going to compete with games aimed at adults but not all games are made for that demographic. A decent series of games aimed at people with a family is something that is good for games, it certainly beats licensed shovelware. Think of it as similar to the SNES or Genesis disney games, perfectly fine games that got a generation into playing them.

The continuing joke about it being terrible is old and kinda lame at this point.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Knack is in no way an fantastic game but I still enjoyed my time with it without being overwhelmed. Knack is very much a launch title but I actually think it's a decent launch title. Like most launch titles it definitely has some shortcomings but overall I thought it was alright without being something special. But it certainly isn't the trash fire that a lot of people, most of them I assume haven't even played the game, make it out to be.

I gave the game 3 stars in my review and I stand by that. I Apologize for all the grammatical and spelling errors in advance.

http://www.giantbomb.com/knack/3030-41687/user-reviews/2200-27706/

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Make the character less weird and creepy for starters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.