Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

In the sequel to Valve's cooperative zombie shooter, a new team of four ragtag survivors must work together to survive the apocalypse, facing new Infected threats as they fight their way across the Southern United States.

Left 4 Dead 2 BANNED in Australia

• 69 results
    stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By stenchlord
     http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/09/left-4-dead-2-banned-in-australia/

Left 4 Dead 2 has been refused classification in Australia in a decision announced by the Classification Board this morning.

You can see for yourself over on the Board’s website. The RC classification means Left 4 Dead 2 contains content that the Board deemed exceeds the guidelines for an MA15+ classification.

No details on what that content might be are available as yet.

We have contacted distributor Electronic Arts and will update you as soon as we can.

UPDATE: An EA spokesperson has told us they “are still working through the submission process with OFLC and want to explore all opportunities before making any comment.”
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

Interesting.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Seedofpower
    Link

Well, that sucks for them.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

Crikey, put another shrimp on the barbie.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By breadfan

Well we know who wont be prepared for the zombie apocalypse 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho

So what people forget when they hear the whole "Australia was a prison island" thing is it started after the British civil war, so those 'crazy prisoners' were Puritans. And clearly they're still running the country.

sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sdauz

green blood time!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

It'll be like that counterstrike family friendly setting where people just lay down and sleep when you shoot them.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Hamz

Gotta love the 1950's style conservative mentality that the Australian classification board has.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oh Australia.  All the zombies will be replaced with robots.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By jakob187

Was the first Left 4 Dead allowed in Australia?  Just curious. 

Also, best comment on the Kotaku story:

"Yo Australia imma let you finish.  I know you just banned Left4Dead2, but Manhunt 2 was one of the best bands OF ALL TIME!" 

as well as: 

"Stingray melee weapon confirmed!" 

and: 

"Australia doesn't like more than one number in a game name."

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai
    @Hamz said:
    " Gotta love the 1950's style conservative mentality that the Australian classification board has. "
    This. Michael Atkinson is ass raping a lot of gamers by not having an MA18+ rating, which is kinda an irony onto itself. 
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By buzz_clik

OH, FFS. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Sometimes I really enjoy living in this country. Other times, such as this, I wonder when the decision was made to change from a hard living nation into a fucking nanny state that's wrapped in three hundred layers of cotton wool and daffodils. What the living shit is going on down here? It's all getting too touchy feely for my liking. Even our national sport is being turned into a second-rate pooncefest where you can't even sneeze near someone. Gahhh!

*ahem* Sorry about that. I'll set my blood back to 'sulking simmer' instead of 'boiling over out of every hole in my head'.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Akeldama
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Crikey, put another shrimp on the barbie. "
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hamz

God forbid the children get to play a game with fictional zombie apocalypses. But they are welcome to watch something like Wolf's Creek, right?

Hypocrisy at its finest.

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By stenchlord

Hahaha those are great.

As for the game, I doubt it won't get released here in Australia, even if it means that Valve have to edit the content out and then some online modder find a way to put it back in unofficially.

It's just that it can really be very frustrating. I'm not some impressionable 8 year old kid who wants to do the things I do in a game in my real life. I'm 24 and have the mental capacity to understand the differences between a game and real life.
    Yet there's no R rating for games here in Australia. It all just feels really restricting and simply stupid. I do love living here and I wouldn't leave but there are some things I just completely don't understand about this country sometimes...

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryoma122

lol
    FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FalconCritical

Australia needs to sort out its game rating system, as soon as you can R18 games there like you can in NZ then it won't be such an issue for the 'impressionable 15-17yos'.

There's always Steam right?

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By stenchlord

Yeah we have Steam and it's where a lot of people will be purchasing their copy of L4D2 but if it doesn't get approval from the OFLC then it won't be available for us through Steam. If worst comes to worst, I'll import the game and play on NZ servers, shouldn't be too laggy depending on the server.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By AndrewB

It's sad that my one reason for never living in Australia is their ridiculous censorship. I mean, America is bad enough about it, what with the existence of AO games being shunned into the most shady corners of the country, but I don't know what I'd do without the legions of great M rated games.

Australia, itself, looks beautiful in its own way. A place I'd like to at least visit once.
    @FalconCritical said:

" Australia needs to sort out its game rating system, as soon as you can R18 games there like you can in NZ then it won't be such an issue for the 'impressionable 15-17yos'.  There's always Steam right? "

Isn't Steam locked down by region, though? I have no idea, beyond what I remember hearing about that.
    stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stenchlord

Yes it is.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Manachild
    @jakob187 said:
    " Was the first Left 4 Dead allowed in Australia?  Just curious.  Also, best comment on the Kotaku story: "Yo Australia imma let you finish.  I know you just banned Left4Dead2, but Manhunt 2 was one of the best bands OF ALL TIME!"  as well as:  "Stingray melee weapon confirmed!"  and:  "Australia doesn't like more than one number in a game name." "
    Yeah, first left 4 dead was allowed in australia, as was dead space which has very over the top violent death sequences when you die... the pc version of gta iv is uncensored the list goes on, alot of hypocrisy goes on in the australian ratings board.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bubahula

Austallia's classification board does somthing crazy....news, they really need to sort that out
    stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stenchlord

Hopefully Valve will resubmit soon and the OFLC will allow it if the problem is shown in the right context.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Cube
    @Akeldama said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    "
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By vaiz

Confirmed: The zombie apocalypse originates in Australia because they won't be fucking ready. God save us all.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Red12b

Oh well, At least those who signed the petition in Aus will follow their word, They wont be able to break it!
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Black_Rose
    @Hamz said:
    " God forbid the children get to play a game with fictional zombie apocalypses. But they are welcome to watch something like Wolf's Creek, right?  Hypocrisy at its finest. "
    Indeed
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rowr
    @buzz_clik said:
    " OH, FFS. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Sometimes I really enjoy living in this country. Other times, such as this, I wonder when the decision was made to change from a hard living nation into a fucking nanny state that's wrapped in three hundred layers of cotton wool and daffodils. What the living shit is going on down here? It's all getting too touchy feely for my liking. Even our national sport is being turned into a second-rate pooncefest where you can't even sneeze near someone. Gahhh!  *ahem* Sorry about that. I'll set my blood back to 'sulking simmer' instead of 'boiling over out of every hole in my head'. "
    yeh our country is kind of a shadow of its former glory.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By jonnyboy
    @Rowr said:

" @buzz_clik said:

" OH, FFS. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Sometimes I really enjoy living in this country. Other times, such as this, I wonder when the decision was made to change from a hard living nation into a fucking nanny state that's wrapped in three hundred layers of cotton wool and daffodils. What the living shit is going on down here? It's all getting too touchy feely for my liking. Even our national sport is being turned into a second-rate pooncefest where you can't even sneeze near someone. Gahhh!  *ahem* Sorry about that. I'll set my blood back to 'sulking simmer' instead of 'boiling over out of every hole in my head'. "
    yeh our country is kind of a shadow of its former glory. "
    Listen I tottaly understand why your upset but think of it this as a 'Spectacular beaches and hot girls' tax. See, swings and roundabouts.
    shaun832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By shaun832

WHAT THE FUCK?!!! That was possibly the lightest way I could have expressed my rage. I fucking hate the Australian Classification Board and more importantly Michael Atkinson. Thank you Mr Atkinson, you now have another death sentence!

Katakalypto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Katakalypto

Not surprising in the least.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By oldschool
    @Hamz said:
    " God forbid the children get to play a game with fictional zombie apocalypses. But they are welcome to watch something like Wolf's Creek, right?  Hypocrisy at its finest. "
    The only issue that I have about comments about censorship in Australia is that it leads to some impression that it is some kind of puritannical backwater.  It isn't.  When it comes to free to air television, Australia is about 30 years ahead of the USA (any of you get to watch NIN - Closer unedited on your free to aor networks?  Any of your networks allow use of the words fuck or cunt?  Any of your networks show Basic Instinct, or other strong sex films uncut?), but not quite up to some European countries.  This games issue is a blip on what is otherwise an extremely liberal country.  

This is being held up by the fact that the country is a commonwealth and an agreement needs to be made by all Attorneys -General.  That means an elected politician, chosen by his party from Tasmania, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia, plus the federal Attorney-General all must agree to the classification to make it law.  The problem has been some conservative dick from South Australia.  There is pretty much broad agreement that we should have an adult classification, but with shock radio personalities, tabloid newspapers and scared politicians, it isn't going anywhere. 

This happens 2-3 times a year,  Sometimes we don't care (50 Cent game) and other times we do (Fallout 3), but usually, some small and relatively insignificant changes are made and the games get released.  They don't make the game any less fun.  SO, my view, is this is just the usual storm in a teacup stuff where people shout ridiculous things about Australia.  I am in support of an adult classification as well, but it isn't a march in the streets thing.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are times since moving to NZ that I miss Australia.... this isn't one of them.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Hamz said:

" Gotta love the 1950's style conservative mentality that the Australian classification board has. "

yeah man what the fuck is wrong with australia 

@Cube said:
    " @Akeldama said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    "
    "

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By stenchlord

That said, censorship on our movies and tv is quite a bit more lax than the ones in the USA. I've noticed quite a few movies which got an R+ rating in America are merely rated MA+ here.
    I can understand that games are more likely aimed at the youth of Australia but not everyone who plays games is under 18.
    My generation who grew up playing the NES/Famicoms, Master Systems, SNES', Super Mega Drives, PSones, N64s, Saturns etc when the console/gaming industry really started gaining momentum through the late 80s and early 90s are now all in our 20s.
    I'd go as far to say that we're the generation who put the most money into the gaming industry here in Australia (making it what it is today locally) and yet we get subjected to the classification ratings which are meant to protect those who can't even purchase games without asking their parents for a credit card.
    Now while I'm not at all happy with Michael Atkinson, it's the media who in the long run who make people think these kinds of things are necessary. Whenever an incident involving a child committing a crime is in someway related to a game, the media go nuts over it and it has an effect on idiots who are just as impressionable as their kids, these people take it as the literal truth and then should they come into power continue that way of thinking.
    It's all a joke really and hopefully one day it changes, for the time being though all I can do is contact people and state a case on behalf of people with the same ideals. I've emailed Atkinson and I doubt very much he'll even take the time to bother reading it but hopefully one day someone will finally read it and see the sense in it.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By VWGTI

Facepalm for Australia.
    eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By eezo

that's why i live in Norway,  
    also the legal sex age is 16 here YAAY

Seraphim2150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Seraphim2150

They produced Neighbours yet ban this?

Ah well, the PC crowd is alright buying off Steam and the 360 crowd might be able to import it

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Wow what a bunch of uptight fucks, none of them probably play video games and have no clue what effect it has on your mind and body, and to most it's none, it's just a hobby and mindless fun, especially for L4D2. 
    I don't understand why they allow extremely violent torture movies there but a zombie survival game is over the top.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By randiolo
    @Delta_Ass said:
    ok. no.1..we dont talk like that..and no1 puts shrimps on a barbie.. its called a fry pan

and no.2. ..its not a prison island coz ima italian n im no friken convict.
    Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Grimace

It's not the Classification Board specifically that stops these games being rated - it's the law makers.

More specifically, Australia would have an R-rating but South Australian Attorney General Michael Atkinson won't budge on the issue and to change any legislation the decision needs to be unanimous.

But Left 4 Dead 2 will get released of course, censored, changed whatever and everybody will be happy (or at least content to some extent) for another 12 months before another high profile game gets refused classification and all this starts again.

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By stenchlord

I put prawns on the BBQ, they're quite nice grilled/BBQ'd.

I'm half Filipino and half Chinese lol.

Also Steam is region locked, so if it doesn't pass approval, can't even buy it off Steam which is why it underwent the test in the first place lol. If Valve didn't need to get it OFLC approved then they wouldn't have submitted it.

Also Ezzo, legal age for sex is also 16 here. We also get to drink when we hit 18 unlike other places where you have to wait till you're 21.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hitchenson
    @stenchlord: Same in the UK, 16 and 18.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vidiot

It's still amusing as hell.  
    Personally, I love your randomness when it comes to banning games. I didn't know the context to why certain games get banned and why others don't, thanks oldschool. 

But my favorite part about this is that the ESRB hasn't even given the "Left 4 Dead 2" a rating yet.  
    Yup, it's still at RP (Rating Pending) status. Meaning that it's either still be put through the evaluation, or has yet to be submitted. It's probably like this because, as we all know: The game isn't finished yet.

Now to be fair, we all know what the rating for this game is going to be. That being said, it's quite hilarious that a foreign country has already deemed the content unsuitable, to the point that it should be banned. And while that assumption of it's banning is of course debatable, it's even funnier that the Australian classification board has beaten the classification system of the developers country of origin.

How the heck did ya manage that? :P

Not to say that the ESRB is exempt from criticism, but in America games need to be submitted and evaluated.

In Australia it sounds like all it takes is a scared politician with an out-of-context youtube clip.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Fuck you AUS board this is like what happened to GTA IV so then it rolls onto us here in NZ and we got a cut version of GTA IV, not that i would have enjoyed it anymore, but still it isn't fair.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Crocio

Quite convenient for me to have dual citizen ships, butit's equally disappointing for all the other Australian gamers...

The situation is just caused by one attorney refusing a 18 game classification rating when all other forms of media here have one.

It's ridiculous for this Atkinson fellow not to recognize that adults want to play video games aimed for their audience. Really though, this has to be the last straw; boycotting a quality valve game is infuriating, clearly, the representatives are completely disconnected from gaming culture. 

It's really sad that they have to tone down the game because of this one man's disconnected requests. Quite a shame too because otherwise, this country has a wonderful quality of life and amazing social benefits.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49  Edited By natetodamax
    @Delta_Ass said:
    I lol'd
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PureRok
    @oldschool said:
    " @Hamz said:
    Any of your networks allow use of the words fuck or cunt?  "
    Yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.