Would you play a LGBT Character?

#1 Edited by Createme (6 posts) -

OK, Just putting it out there. If you had a game that consisted of you controlling a homosexual man or woman, would you continue playing or would you stop. As I was reading the forums in this area, no one really brought up the concept, and I haven't really come across a game that controlled a homosexual character, particularly a homosexual male, but I haven't played every single game in the world so I could be wrong, but I want to know what all of you guys think? Would you play a homosexual character whether if it's male or female? Would you stop and shy away from the game? Does you views on Homosexuals influence your views on homosexual characters i video games, Love to know what you think!!!

#2 Posted by MrGetBonus (781 posts) -

Man...that one character in Enchanted Arms that sometimes yelled "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" in this high pitched voice when he attacked was so hilarious. I was so sad when he couldnt be in my party anymore. I'm pretty sure he was gay.

#3 Edited by Tearhead (2146 posts) -

... Well what kind of game is this if it is important that he is gay? Plus you can be gay in the Sims... if you want.

EDIT: You can also be gay in Mass Effect... again... if you want.

#4 Posted by Dimsey (946 posts) -

I'm fine with gays, both in reality and in a game.
I would not object to playing a gay character within a game.
Yeah.

#5 Posted by MB (11891 posts) -

I like to play characters I can identify with...so, no, I wouldn't.  That's the same reason I never create female characters, either.

#6 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -
MrGetBonus said:
"Man...that one character in Enchanted Arms that sometimes yelled "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" in this high pitched voice when he attacked was so hilarious. I was so sad when he couldnt be in my party anymore. I'm pretty sure he was gay."
Yeah, enchanted arms had some really hilarious gay stereotype humour.
#7 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I'd like to just because i'm getting kind of tired with default hero characters these days. Plus, whenever I can create a character, they always work out quite, er, fruity anyway.

#8 Posted by HTTenrai (241 posts) -

If you meant "would you play an explicitly gay character" then yes.

If you meant "would you play your character AS gay", then I would say I regularly do.

If you meant something else, I'm afraid I don't follow the question.

#9 Posted by MKHavoc (1306 posts) -

It depends on the game.  If it's a game that I was looking forward to, then something like that wouldn't change my mind about it.

#10 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
MB said:
"I like to play characters I can identify with...so, no, I wouldn't.  That's the same reason I never create female characters, either."
Im glad to see im not the only one that thinks its odd/creepy/downright disturbing to have 16-40 year old blokes creating Female charcters for whatever damn reason
#11 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

I do not  mind sexual orientation in any Video games whatsoever

#12 Posted by Alita_99 (35 posts) -

Gay, lesbian, bisexual, cisgender or transgender, it doesn't matter to me.  I wish more protagonists were of different sexualities and genders than straight men and women.

#13 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I wouldn't care. If he's anything like one of the gay guys I know, I'd be thrilled to play it. Those guys are a riot.

#14 Posted by RenegadeSaint (1519 posts) -

As long as the game is enjoyable.

#15 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

No one seemed to have a problem with Final Fantasy X.

#16 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Not really, i dont see any problem.

#17 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

Yeah, I would use a gay character, I wouldn't intentionally make my character gay, but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

#18 Edited by Createme (6 posts) -
For the people who don't understand the question, here is what I am saying:

Would you play a gay video game character in a video game?

Sorry to anyone who misinterpreted the question!!!!!!!
This only for people you don't understand the question, but really it's the same question  :)
#19 Posted by Doc_Zaius (119 posts) -

Already have done, more than once.  If I get the choice I often do just to mix things up.

#20 Posted by liquidsol (94 posts) -

Yep, I do in Fable 2.

#21 Posted by Giantkitty (808 posts) -

I would, if nothing else, see how the game "handles" it.

#22 Posted by CharleyTony (923 posts) -

LGB yes
T not really interested

still dont know why all those orientations should be fused into one single "movement"

I didnt meean to be rude, thats just the way I see this...

#23 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

No. LGBT's scare me.

#24 Posted by HTTenrai (241 posts) -

LOL. Why scared? ^_^

Createme said:

"For the people who don't understand the question, here is what I am saying:

This only for people you don't understand the question, but really it's the same question  :)
"
Yes: I play a bisexual, monogamous, good, pure, attractive female in Fable 2. In Fable, I played a bisexual, evil, scary cross-dressing male.

It's fun, as serious or as non-serious as I play the game. Sexuality figures into probably 2% of my actual game pursuits in games like Fable, so essentially, it's there, and that's the extent of it. Hence, I scratch my head and wonder why people get so up in arms about relatively insignificant issues like this.
#25 Posted by Milkman (16483 posts) -

If I had the choice of being gay or not gay, I would choose not gay. But if  the game's protagonist was gay, I'd probably still play it.

#26 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Depends on the game's content.

#27 Posted by MisterSpiffy (880 posts) -

Depends what type of game it is.  If I had the choice, I probably wouldn't, as I don't play as female characters either.

#28 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Doesn't matter to me.

#29 Posted by Plasticworld (108 posts) -

Seeing as I am gay, I'd prefer to play with a homosexual character than a heterosexual one.

#30 Posted by RepressedSerendipity (1 posts) -
#31 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
BoG said:
"No one seemed to have a problem with Final Fantasy X."
caption

#32 Posted by MartimousJones (3 posts) -

I would play a homosexual/gay character without question.
I am tired of the same old story lines.
A teenage boy without a family... blah blah blah... his best friend and his bf's sister... blah blah blah... this girl who is new to the village... blah blah blah... she is a maiden/princess/love interest/chosen one... blah blah blah... he doubts his powers, and his friends support him through think and thin... and then the game ends with everything as it should be, but the main character and the maiden live happily ever after... or as happily ever after as they can in the video game world.
It would be refreshing to play a character that does not fall into the typical sterotypes of the RPG video game.

#33 Posted by James0890 (69 posts) -

Yeah I would, and I did in Dragon Age.

#34 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

It wouldn't bother me. 

#35 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

no problem with this at all. Game characters are diverse and so are sexualities.

#36 Posted by Fuzzled (39 posts) -

Yep, no reason not to. No bias here, with game's like Dragon Age the choice is always down to the player so I think there it isn't such a leap, people will make their own decisions based on their own sexuality or maybe just for laughs I guess, but to be honest it would be interesting to see more openly gay, lesbian or anything in between characters in games that are more linear, see what the writers choose to do with them.

As MartimousJones said, maybe it's just the same tired old story lines in games you always know where it will go without question, Guy blah blah Girl.

#37 Posted by Bigheart711 (1252 posts) -

No problem at all! :)

#38 Posted by ESREVER (2647 posts) -

Sure. 
Afterall, I'm pretty sure I did. They don't get much more flamer-ry they Jann from Valkyria Chronicles. 
He was my favorite Lancer! Which might not be saying much because I hated the lancers in that game. So gaddamn inconsistent!

#39 Posted by Dimsey (946 posts) -

A characters sexual preference bothers me not.

#40 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4606 posts) -

Is this really an issue to anyone?
Shit, I played a gay dude in Fable 2. He also liked to wear women's clothes on occasion.
Mass Effect 1 I played as a lesbian.

#41 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

It's a weird question, cause sure I'd play an LGBT character, but why does an issue have to be made of the fact? Like the fact that Dumbledore was supposed to be gay, but it never got explicitly mentioned.
If you had a traditional adventure game, but instead of a traditional damsel-in-distress it's your twink boyfriend, that would seem pretty gratuitous.

#42 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

That's how I roll in the Mass Effect games. And I've said it before, but if your skills are high enough you should be ale to talk anyone into the sack.

#43 Edited by LackingSaint (1764 posts) -

I have no objection at all to a non-stereotypical gay video-game hero/heroine, but i'm afraid the mainstream gaming audience would disagree. For some reason I don't see 13-year-old boys wanting to play as a gay person. sigh.

#44 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

I pretend all my characters are gay.  If the game makes them get married I just imagine they're doing it to try to pass and are secretly dying inside.

#45 Posted by azrailx (238 posts) -

i played as raiden

#46 Posted by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -
@Createme said:
" For the people who don't understand the question, here is what I am saying:

"
I'm really stupid when it comes to this stuff. There's no such thing as a straight transgendered person?
#47 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

Well Solid Snake is gay and people played as him....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.