Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 21, 2006

On a frozen planet, one man fights the elements, ice pirates, and gigantic, hostile insectoid aliens to avenge the murder of his father and regain his lost memories.

Lost Planet Movie Budget $150-$200 million?!?!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52151
    For those who want to be lazy...

David Hayter is writing the script (so I'm sure it won't suck at all...just look at Watchmen!).  They are reporting it will be somewhere around $150 - $200 million for the budget.  Avi Arad, the dood that produced Spider-Man and a bunch of the Marvel flicks, is producing this one.

So what do you think?  I mean, Lost Planet was a pretty wicked game, and with the Colonies edition, it shows that Capcom is dedicated to the fans of the IP.  Nonetheless, it's also a game that did only okay in sales and was kind of average in reviews.

Personally, I'm psyched for a Lost Planet movie, especially since Hayter can't seem to write a bad script.  I'm curious about who would direct it.  If I had to pick someone...I'd go for Timur Bekmambetov.  I like that dood's style a lot, and this movie features a pretty stylish world to venture into.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

No. Movies. Based. Off. Games.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By granderojo

well I liked the weird animals, hopefully the big screen they will be even better detailed, can't wait tell it eventually comes to blueray.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

Huh? I like Lost Planet, especially the Colonies edition, but is this movie honestly going to get commercial success? I don't see it happening, unless you stick Nicolas Cage in there somewhere. Only then will the money flow for a movie no one is interested in.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187
    RHCPfan24 said:
    "Huh? I like Lost Planet, especially the Colonies edition, but is this movie honestly going to get commercial success? I don't see it happening, unless you stick Nicolas Cage in there somewhere. Only then will the money flow for a movie no one is interested in."
    No one expected The Thing or Alien to get commercial success.  -_-
    I'm amazed at how many people are constantly talking about how great David Hayter is, both as Solid Snake's voice actor AND as a screenwriter.  I mean, anyone remember a little movie called X-Men?  X-Men 2 maybe?  Okay, so yeah...he also wrote The Scorpion King.  However, he's also had the longest iteration of the Watchmen script, which is the one that is being filmed.  Therefore, I'm pretty damn sure he can make Lost Planet turn people's opinions about video game-based films around.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24
    jakob187 said:
    "RHCPfan24 said:
    "Huh? I like Lost Planet, especially the Colonies edition, but is this movie honestly going to get commercial success? I don't see it happening, unless you stick Nicolas Cage in there somewhere. Only then will the money flow for a movie no one is interested in."
    No one expected The Thing or Alien to get commercial success.  -_-
    I'm amazed at how many people are constantly talking about how great David Hayter is, both as Solid Snake's voice actor AND as a screenwriter.  I mean, anyone remember a little movie called X-Men?  X-Men 2 maybe?  Okay, so yeah...he also wrote The Scorpion King.  However, he's also had the longest iteration of the Watchmen script, which is the one that is being filmed.  Therefore, I'm pretty damn sure he can make Lost Planet turn people's opinions about video game-based films around.
    "
    That would be awesome if he could, indeed. Like I said, I loved the game, but I don't know if a game based on a crazy Japanese game that is akin to a B-movie will generate enough interest. That being said, some videogame movies like Max Payne did well financially, but sucked in the process.

Also, about The Thing and Alien, which are both some of my favorite movies ever, I believe the environment for their breakout success has changed. At that time, Alien was a fresh look at sci-fi when Star Wars was the prominent movie of the genre at the time, and the Thing, though borrowing heavily from Alien, still managed to be great mainly because of the acting, story, atmosphere and, yeah, I will say it, gore.  Don't forget also that the Thing did poor financially. It was deemed a cult hit for many years until it has broke into the mainstream media through promoting of different types of the years.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187

I just think it's stupid that gamers are so elitest as to hate every movie that comes out based on a game.  I mean, games in general are a bit more fantasized than everything else out there.  Plus, let's look at games for what they are:  you control something that has certain gameplay elements.

I mean, honestly...what do I expect out of a Gears of War movie, for instance?  A bunch of doods running behind cover, blindfiring, and shooting at shit.  Will there be drama?  Yeah, sure.  Will there be a story to it all?  Uh-huh.  Have we already seen all that shit?  YUP!  Therefore, what the FUCK do people want from a movie based on a game?  Do they want to see the same exact thing that they played before?!?!?!

Personally, and I'll say it:  I liked Hitman.  Why?  Because, it didn't try to take itself too seriously, and it entertained me.  Well, okay.  Olga Kurylenko made it much easier to watch also.  Regardless, the film wasn't trying to be like the games.  Yeah, Agent 47 wasn't exactly like he was in the games.  I don't expect them to make it like the games.  A director, an actor, a writer, whoever you decide is going to end up bringing in their own take on it...and guess what?  IT WON'T MATCH YOUR OWN!!!

People hated the Doom movie, and why?  What, the acting wasn't incredible?  Guess what?  Acting wasn't incredible in Predator either, and we fucking LOVE that flick, right?  Well, Doom wasn't much different.  It clearly recognized what it was:  it's a movie based on a game about shooting the fuck out of stuff and blowing other stuff up!  THAT IS IT!!!  I don't need a story.  Here, I'll give you a story:  Hell has opened up, and they are trying to kill you.  Go.  I don't give a fuck HOW Hell has opened up, just do it.  Granted, they changed the story for the movie, but whatever.  Tons of killing works for me.

As long as the movie does what it's supposed to do, and that's hold enough elements from the game but also bring something new to the table.  As much as people bitch about Paul W.S. Anderson for directing the Resident Evil movies the way he did, I liked all three of them.  They all had a different tone to them, he wrote his own character instead of trying to disgrace all the characters we knew and loved (and with Jill Valentine, I think he did a good job of capturing her character), and he provided us with comedy, action, and gore.  End of story.

So whatever.  People need to realize that the movie will not be the same as the game, as it's two completely different kinds of experiences.  That doesn't forgive flicks like Super Mario Bros. necessarily, but regardless, I'm not just going to hate on a movie...especially one that isn't out yet and already has incredible talent working on the project like Hayter and Arad...just because it's based on a fucking game.

With all that said, this game already had a REALLY strong story.  Between the Akrids, the Frontier Project, and the whole story with E.D.N. III, there is plenty.  However, I do expect a lot of shooting and big warfare.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Systech

Wasn't this around the budget that Peter Jackson proposed for the Halo movie? I don't see them accepting to give them that much money on a property that certainly isn't as mainstream, especially in this economic climate.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
    systech said:
    "Wasn't this around the budget that Peter Jackson proposed for the Halo movie? I don't see them accepting to give them that much money on a property that certainly isn't as mainstream, especially in this economic climate."
    Ah, but with a movie like Halo, there are HUGE expectations.  Meanwhile, something like Lost Planet had some expectations, but there is a ton of room to explore the story, the world, and everything else.  Granted, it's not a huge IP like Halo, but it sounds as though this budget is already locked in.
    Plus, ya know...everyone wants to find their Pirates of the Caribbean.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Systech
    jakob187 said:
    "systech said:
    "Wasn't this around the budget that Peter Jackson proposed for the Halo movie? I don't see them accepting to give them that much money on a property that certainly isn't as mainstream, especially in this economic climate."
    Ah, but with a movie like Halo, there are HUGE expectations.  Meanwhile, something like Lost Planet had some expectations, but there is a ton of room to explore the story, the world, and everything else.  Granted, it's not a huge IP like Halo, but it sounds as though this budget is already locked in.
    Plus, ya know...everyone wants to find their Pirates of the Caribbean.
    "
    Well, the difference is that they would actually make more money off of Halo. It's all about money, after all.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24

@ Jakob.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Still, that doesn't stop movies like Doom from just being bad. Yeah, the acting was bad...whatever, but the dull story and painful "first-person" sequence was absolutely abysmal. Sorry, no way around it. And, frankly, I didn't even find the action that satisfying. It was just "see alien/demon, blast it, and gore and goop goes everywhere." 

That being said, Hitman wasn't that bad actually. Like you said, it knew what it is and ran with it, like it should. And, yeah, Olga K. made it easier to watch as well, hehe. The Resident Evil movies were good too.

I am open to any game-based-off-of-a-movie to be good. The thing is, these movies need to evolve to today's standards in videogame storytelling, as well as action. If you make a movie off of BioShock, infuse it with the same "wow" factor that grabbed me into it. Make it engrossing. If you make a Gears of War movie, I don't care about storytelling: just make it fun. Look to Shoot 'Em Up, Hot Fuzz, or any good summer blockbuster.  A movie that is based on a game has to evolve like the industry has evolved. We, as gamers, are smart. We like to have fun, yes, but we also like to entertain ourselves with games worthy of our money. Follow this example, and this whole "game movie" business will benefit.

systech said:

That is actually what I meant in the beginning, yes.
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By ZombiePie

I hope that David Hayter takes some liberties with the script, because I think the setting and premise of Lost Planet is actually rather interesting and open to a lot of original ideas, whereas something like Halo or Gears of War isn't. So I'm actually excited for this movie.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

I for one think that Lost Planet was a horrible game and that the story is nowhere near good enough to put into a high-budget movie.

Low expectations for this movie, despite having Hayter onboard. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    systech said:
    "Well, the difference is that they would actually make more money off of Halo. It's all about money, after all."
    The main reason the budget was not considerable for Halo is simple, though:  it's too much money.  It's like you said, all about money.  Well, why would I want to make a flick for $200 million that I KNOW will make a shitload of money in the first place?  Fuck that, I want to find a way to do that flick on $80 million if possible.  Hell, look at the tight budget that Spike Jonze had for Where The Wild Things Are, yet everything so far that we've seen looks like they dumped $200 million into that flick.
    So it makes sense to me that they want to spend as little as possible on a Halo flick, to increase their profit margin.  Also, you were talking about $200 million to a director that had never done a feature film.  The only assurance they had was Peter Jackson's involvement.  While Lord of the Rings was huge, look at his OTHER flicks.  The Frighteners did nothing, King Kong didn't exactly break box office records, Heavenly Creatures was critically acclaimed but that's about it.  Moreover, LOTR sold itself.  A $200 million budget for a flick doesn't mean JUST shooting and post.  You've got advertising also, and with something as low key as Lost Planet, they need a LOT of advertising.

There is also the concern of CGI needs.  The Akrids are pretty huge and pretty unique in many cases, you've got the mechs...I mean, seriously, they could turn this into one hell of a sci-fi epic if they wanted to...and something that could potentially be a fruitful franchise.  If the movie's damn good, people will check out the game...and from there, we'll see sequels to the games.  God knows the possibilities.
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15  Edited By clarke0

This sounds interesting but I'm not going to get my hopes up over a video game movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.